***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,869,467 Views | 67424 Replies | Last: 57 min ago by Mathguy64
BadAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We want Singleton to pan out this time.

I'm not seeing it.

Wabs
AG
DeProfundis said:

Are we worried about somebody grabbing Singleton off of waivers?
Would love for the Rangers to add Singleton
tjack16
AG
DeProfundis said:

I'm soooo worried … would hate for him to go to the rangers, dodgers, mariners or Yankees
iBrad
AG
Wabs said:

DeProfundis said:

You'd know he'd hit a game-winning pinch hit home run against us and bat flip the hell out of it.
Marvin
AG
iBrad said:

Wabs said:

DeProfundis said:

You'd know he'd hit a game-winning pinch hit home run against us and bat flip the hell out of it.

True, but he'd be an auto-out the rest of the season... sort of like last year.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
All I do is Nguyen
texasaggie2015 said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

At this point I'd love to send singleton down and call up Loperfido
He's out of options otherwise he wouldn't have made the roster
so does that mean we can't send him down? Or if we send him down we have to DFA him?
Farmer1906
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

texasaggie2015 said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

At this point I'd love to send singleton down and call up Loperfido
He's out of options otherwise he wouldn't have made the roster
so does that mean we can't send him down? Or if we send him down we have to DFA him?

He'd have to clear waivers and fall off the 40 man. Basically what happened with JJ last year.
Mr.Bond
AG
Ain't a GM alive gonna claim Jon's ass......
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

tjack16
AG
So we won't send him down for Loperfido because he's out of options and can be claimed? Is that a bad thing with singleton
SpaceCityAg05
AG
With that strikeout rate, I havr a hard time believing Loperfido is ready and won't just be a lesser Singleton at this moment.

I would much rather sign Belt to a one-year deal.
Wabs
AG
SpaceCityAg05 said:

With that strikeout rate, I havr a hard time believing Loperfido is ready and won't just be a lesser Singleton at this moment.

Would love to bring Belt in here. How much would a 1-year deal cost?
Farmer1906
AG
SpaceCityAg05 said:

+1

I think Loperfido needs more seasoning. His BB/K ratio is 0.21. That would be bottom 10 in baseball last year similar to guys like Baez & Anderson. But you can be good with a terrible ratio. Guys like Bo, Julio, Lubob are down their too. Just be exceptional at bat to ball and power then you can overcome it.

Belt makes so much sense. He'll be cheap. Platoon him at 1B and half your Abreu problem is fixed.
W
AG
right now Abreu and Singleton are a combined 4 for 40

with zero, zero, zero RBI at the first base position

how much worse can it get?
AgLA06
AG
Farmer1906 said:

SpaceCityAg05 said:

+1

I think Loperfido needs more seasoning. His BB/K ratio is 0.21. That would be bottom 10 in baseball last year similar to guys like Baez & Anderson. But you can be good with a terrible ratio. Guys like Bo, Julio, Lubob are down their too. Just be exceptional at bat to ball and power then you can overcome it.

Belt makes so much sense. He'll be cheap. Platoon him at 1B and half your Abreu problem is fixed.
The game has changed. Growing up, that kind of K numbers would have been unthinkable.

Now power and slugging are more important than batting average and on base percentage. And there's no reason he can't hit enough home runs and extra base hits to overcome striking out one in 3 at bats in today's baseball.

While I'm still not sure I'm on board with this new line of thinking, sometimes players are what they are. Waiting for a better eye or to fix a hole in the swing that never happens just wastes the good he has today. And Lord knows there were a lot of good players that never got the playing time they should have because they didn't fit into the MLB box for dimensions or the desired stats at the time, yet could have helped a team.

As far as I'm concerned, he's probably no worse of an offensive option than Bregman and Jose Abreu right now. And at least he has a future with the club.
DeProfundis
W said:

Pretty bad. Bregman was an amazing prospect and "major league ready" in 2016 and he was still awful for the first two weeks. He started something like 2-48, and he was a better prospect than Loperfido.

I think Loperfido will be great but I don't want to shoot his confidence.

I think Belt is the way to go as well
tjack16
AG
I'd DFA singleton, sign belt to a cheap 1 year deal and let Loperfido get another half season in the minors and maybe bring him up in September

Now if belt sucked and Abreu didn't get better then you call him up
DeProfundis
tjack16 said:

I'd DFA singleton, sign belt to a cheap 1 year deal and let Loperfido get another half season in the minors and maybe bring him up in September

Now if belt sucked and Abreu didn't get better then you call him up
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

Fair point

Eventually, someone else will decide they want another bat for cheap. Sign Belt!

DeProfundis
What would belt Cost? $7,500,000 pro-rated to $6.7 or so?
tjack16
AG
DeProfundis said:

What would belt Cost? $7,500,000 pro-rated to $6.7 or so?

Probably less. I'd say closer to $3M since it doesn't seem like many suitors
DeProfundis
If you can get him for $3,000,000 I don't see how in the hell he is still sitting around
W
AG
Belt is from the Lufkin area

he should just drive to MMP to play this weekend
tjack16
AG
DeProfundis said:

If you can get him for $3,000,000 I don't see how in the hell he is still sitting around

I mean first base is a pretty locked down position all over the majors so most teams don't need him.
Marvin
AG
Abreu's batting and on-base averages were nearly identical last year against LH and RH pitching (both sucked), but his OPS was substantially better against LHP because of his slugging. Makes sense to sign Belt and platoon them.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
CFTXAG10
AG
Problem is that the Astros are not going to give up on Abreu 9 games in
CFTXAG10
AG
Marvin said:

Makes sense to sign Belt and platoon them.
If both guys are on board with that it makes a lot of sense.
Farmer1906
AG
Miami, Colorado, Detroit, Milwaukee, & Cincy have had poor 1B play too. I don't think any of them would be interested. If you just look at who needs a bat to hit RHP, the Mets have been the worst in baseball. He's not playing over Pete but maybe at DH? Seattle, Philly, & Minny haven't been great either. Who knows if they'll show any interest.

Here is what no one has mentioned. We're 1.1 M from the next level of luxury tax. That means a 5 M deal turns into a 7.2 M deal and our first round pick moves back 10 spots. Ina. Vacuum that isn't a big deal but it it makes things worse after losing a pick for Hader. We need to figure out how to off load some money at the deadline.
W
AG
the fact that Sparky is openly talking on the radio about other options...

plus Singleton already having 3 starts at first base...

indicates the Astros are going to handle Abreu's situation differently this year
cc10106
Any chance Abreu is hurt again? Haven't seen enough of his ABs this year, but I guess we're gonna play him regardless because of sunk-cost fallacy
texasaggie2015
AG
From what I understand, Belt has a number and a contract in mind and he's not budging. It's more than what Houston wants to spend. Maybe they give in, I don't know. They feel like Loperfido is close but he needs a little more time to cut down on the K rate.

Remember we're only nine games in. It's a marathon. They're not giving up on anyone just yet.
texasaggie2015
AG
I can't remember if I mentioned this or not but Abreu will have a lot of days off this year compared to years past. If he gets his swing going, those days off will likely turn into time at DH. But they'll get him off his feet more often this year.
AgLA06
AG
W said:

the fact that Sparky is openly talking on the radio about other options...

plus Singleton already having 3 starts at first base...

indicates the Astros are going to handle Abreu's situation differently this year
One can hope.

At some point it doesn't matter what the number on the contract is. If it isn't getting you anything there's no point in beating a dead horse. You can lose a lot more money in tickets and gear sales if you don't rectify the situation.
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

From what I understand, Belt has a number and a contract in mind and he's not budging. It's more than what Houston wants to spend. Maybe they give in, I don't know. They feel like Loperfido is close but he needs a little more time to cut down on the K rate.

Remember we're only nine games in. It's a marathon. They're not giving up on anyone just yet.

Yup but we have 2023 to look at for them both. I'm sure the slack in their rope is far less than Bregman's for example.
texasaggie2015
AG
Sure, but again, it's nine games.
Farmer1906
AG
10 but who's counting?
First Page Last Page
Page 155 of 1927

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.