***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,874,427 Views | 67428 Replies | Last: 26 min ago by EastCoastAgNc
Shayboy3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
We will get it going soon but I agree we need to shake up line up. I personally have seen enough of Abreu. Put someone else on the field that will swing the bat. Astros made a mistake and need to move on and eat the contract. Lesson learned.
Mathguy64
AG
I get Abreu blows but right now Bregman is more problematic. He's giving Tucker no protection at all and making nothing of his chances.

You can't win if you can't score and right now this team is hemorrhaging wasted opportunities. Move Diaz up and Bregman down and see if you can plate a run or two.
Beat40
DeProfundis said:

Alvarez is obviously a better hitter than Tucker, but you don't lose much putting Tucker at 2 and Alvarez at 3, especially if it helps him see a few more pitches before he steps in.

I don't think Espada is going to do anything anytime soon though since he made a big deal about keeping the batting order the same

I definitely don't disagree. I think Tucker at 2 is a very reasonable option.

I think Bregman should be 5th or 6th.
linkdude
AG
Just calling my shot. 6 IP, 2 runs from Ronel, and the bullpen finally comes through in a close game.
Staff ace Ronel, say it with me! 6-2 good guys start a streak.
CFTXAG10
AG
I hope you are right. As bleak as things have been if they could find a way to win the next two it could get the momentum train rolling. Most would've been fine with a 2-2 split going in to this series.
tjack16
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

I hope you are right. As bleak as things have been if they could find a way to win the next two it could get the momentum train rolling. Most would've been fine with a 2-2 split going in to this series.

I called for a split and winning 2/3 in KC. That's what I'm still hoping for. That would put us at 6-8 coming back home which given starting 2-7 would be incredible.
Beau Holder
AG
Yes, I would have taken and still would take a split happily. I no longer believe it will happen but let's hope.

Altuve
Alvarez
Tucker
Diaz
Bregman
McCormick
Singleton
Pena
Dubon

Just for one day please.
The Porkchop Express
AG
You know we are in uncharted waters when you wake up thinking "I hope Singleton is playing today."
The Porkchop Express
AG
Devil's advocate: You are told we have an offer to trade for Abreu. But it's to the White Sox for Martin Maldonado and he has to play at least twice a week. What do you do?
Bulldog73
AG
Take it in a heart beat. Martin plays the 9th inning twice a week, no problem.
DeProfundis
The Porkchop Express said:

You know we are in uncharted waters when you wake up thinking "I hope Singleton is playing today."

Kind of a cross post but only half joking, why didn't we give Gallo a look? Risk $5 million on a lefty bat with power and an eye who can play first and corner outfield?
mwm
I'm concerned about tonight's game. It seems that we always "lay an egg" when scheduled for national television.
tjack16
AG

Devil's advocate: You are told we have an offer to trade for Abreu. But it's to the White Sox for Martin Maldonado and he has to play at least twice a week. What do you do?

If it means on those 2 days that Diaz DHs and Yordan is in LF with Chas in CF then yes.

But I wouldn't be interested in sitting Diaz or Chas in favor of Maldonado. Not again
The Porkchop Express
AG
DeProfundis said:

Kind of a cross post but only half joking, why didn't we give Gallo a look? Risk $5 million on a lefty bat with power and an eye who can play first and corner outfield?
Because Abreu finished 2023 strong and was good in the playoffs I'm assuming. And Gallo was so bad the Twins didn't even put him on their playoff roster, and he was hurt a lot the second half of the year.

It's a shame too, I have a standing offer to buy the whole Donkey thread a ticket to the game if Gallo ever comes to Houston, and I'll wear a donkey costume with a Gallo jersey on top.
The Porkchop Express
AG
tjack16 said:

If it means on those 2 days that Diaz DHs and Yordan is in LF with Chas in CF then yes.

But I wouldn't be interested in sitting Diaz or Chas in favor of Maldonado. Not again
What if the 2 days he plays, he's in center field?
DeProfundis
If we're going to use Caratini as little as it seems I would almost rather have Maldy and $3,000,000 back for his leadership and relationship with the pitchers and mentoring for Diaz
DeProfundis
I can only imagine the range factor
tjack16
AG

tjack16 said:

Given he has a 1 out of 100 speed rating on MLB the show… I'd expect an opponent inside the park HR every time
tjack16
AG
The real solution to the injuries is simple

DeProfundis
tjack16 said:

Need to get Yordan on the Chinese buffet supersets ASAP
tjack16
AG

+2.24 runs in a 2 run win by Cleveland. Yikes not good
The Porkchop Express
AG
tjack16 said:

tjack16 said:

Given he has a 1 out of 100 speed rating on MLB the show… I'd expect an opponent inside the park HR every time
Uh he had a double yesterday. His slugging percentage is up to .133 for the year.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
redline248
AG
tjack16 said:

Yeah, but how good were those guys?
redline248
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

On one hand, F the Yankees...

But this is ridiculously bad. Pitcher steps off, which should be time called (and all 4 umps miss it?)

Then, that pitch wasn't close to a strike
Mathguy64
AG
If there is anyone on it's a blatant balk.
n_touch
redline248 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

But this is ridiculously bad. Pitcher steps off, which should be time called (and all 4 umps miss it?)

Im not gonna lie. I wish I had a job that no matter how bad I was at it, I had no worries about job security as well as be paid 400k a year.
DeProfundis
redline248 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

I think the other umps saw it but probably couldn't do anything about it after the call had been made. I kind of get what Hernandez is saying "you have to be ready at all times" like in boxing where they say "defend yourself at all times".

With that being said, it was an idiotic miss, a terrible call and Angel Hernandez is likely trying to get fired so he can file another discrimination case.
Mathguy64
AG
It must suck to be on the crew with Angel, knowing he's going to screw something up badly and that you can't fix it.
The Porkchop Express
AG
At some point a player close to retirement or a manger who knows he's going to get fired is going to wait for AH to take his mask off in an argument and punch him in the face.
tjack16
AG
redline248 said:

tjack16 said:

Yeah, but how good were those guys?

I mean David Ortiz and Babe Ruth are hall of famers
EastCoastAgNc
AG
The Porkchop Express
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Smile, frown, smile.
Mathguy64
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

It's a bad start to the season when you look at those matchups and wonder if we can actually score any runs to win a game in KC.
First Page Last Page
Page 142 of 1927

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.