***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,874,958 Views | 67430 Replies | Last: 8 min ago by Beau Holder
BadAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Move up Diaz and Pena in the order and move down Bregman and Abreu.

BCEDAg
AG
iBrad said:

I prefer Yordan in the 2-hole. It guarantees an AB in the first and prevents him from leading off a lot of second innings. I don't think dropping him guarantees hitting with more runner on base.

One thing I might try, however, is batting Diaz third and Tucker fourth, dropping Bregs to fifth.

I wouldn't mind seeing Diaz at cleanup and Bergman to fifth.
Why not - anything better than what Bregman has done so far.
Beat40
You are more on to what i would do. I would not be afraid to move Bregman down further if it called for it.
BadAggie
AG
Altuve
Alvarez
Tucker
Diaz
Bregman
McCormick
Pena
Abreu
Meyers
All I do is Nguyen
Boiling Denim
Before anyone starts invoking the magic of the 2019 Nats comeback just know they went 40-13 at home to finish the year

This team sure as **** ain't doing that
All I do is Nguyen
iBrad
AG
The bad thing about Abreu is that we could have been playing Singleton so far this season and gotten more production. Not good when the guy that's one step away from being out of the game again can outperform your $20M guy.
Beat40
No one should be invoking that because it's way to early for that.
Wabs
AG
BadAggie said:

Move up Diaz and Pena in the order and move down Bregman and Abreu.

How about move OUT Abreu?
BadAggie
AG
Bregman is biggest offensive disappointment so far, you'd think he'd come into this year ready to claim his bag.

Pahdz
I admit I didn't see a lot of Abreu in his ChiSox days, but watching his pathetic all upper body whiffs makes me wonder how the hell he ever put up the numbers he did and did someone do a body swap with him.
tjack16
AG
Pressly's ERA is now above 20

Yikes
Beat40
Pahdz said:

I admit I didn't see a lot of Abreu in his ChiSox days, but watching his pathetic all upper body whiffs makes me wonder how the hell he ever put up the numbers he did and did someone do a body swap with him.

He was an absolute boss.

Astros lost on the sign an older player lottery.
BCEDAg
AG
Beat40 said:

BCEDAg said:

Is it already time for a team meeting? I think something has to happen now to pull the guys out of this funk. Who are the leaders that will speak up - Verlander, Bergman, Altuve?

I know it's early but team needs to cut bait with Jose Abreu. Bat is slow and Loperfido is tearing it up at Sugarland. Bring the kid up - they need some kind of spark. Singleton is not the answer either.

Yeah, the team whose all-stars aren't performing need a kid from sugarland to provide them a spark.

I'm all for bringing the kid up, but let's be real. This offense isn't going because the all-stars aren't getting it done with men on base.

So do you have any better ideas? If you read my post I was referring to Jose Abreu being replaced by Loperfido. Abreu isn't an all star anymore than I am and is an anchor to the offense.
Or maybe sign Brandon Belt to play first base - he's still unsigned.
Beat40
BCEDAg said:

Beat40 said:

BCEDAg said:

Is it already time for a team meeting? I think something has to happen now to pull the guys out of this funk. Who are the leaders that will speak up - Verlander, Bergman, Altuve?

I know it's early but team needs to cut bait with Jose Abreu. Bat is slow and Loperfido is tearing it up at Sugarland. Bring the kid up - they need some kind of spark. Singleton is not the answer either.

Yeah, the team whose all-stars aren't performing need a kid from sugarland to provide them a spark.

I'm all for bringing the kid up, but let's be real. This offense isn't going because the all-stars aren't getting it done with men on base.

So do you have any better ideas? If you read my post I was referring to Jose Abreu being replaced by Loperfido. Abreu isn't an all star anymore than I am and is an anchor to the offense.

There is nothing you can do to improve the offense if Yordan and Bregman, and the rest of th all-stars aren't going to do more than hit singles when men are on base.

I said I agree with bringing the kid up, but replacing him for Abreu doesn't really change the offense if the all-stars outside of Altuve and Tucker don't produce with men on.

So, my idea is to wait for those guys to do their thing, because if they don't, it doesn't matter.
bearkatag15
AG
Quote:

Would love this production compared to anything Abreu or Singleton could do.

AggiEE
Pahdz said:

Here's a highlight reel back in 2015 when Abreu was 35 years old

His bat speed was significantly greater and he was using his legs instead of his recent swing which is just sticking the bat out there and hope it gets a dinky pop up or ground out

astros4545
AG
Night and day difference
Heineken-Ashi
Beat40 said:

Bregxit said:

DeProfundis said:

Bregxit said:

Heineken-Ashi said:

BeaumontAg05 said:

It's mind blowing that we just cannot score. Our starters have done outstanding on the mound, but we just can't score. It makes no sense how we could be so bad on offense.
When your lineup is constructed so that your RBI producer doesn't have many RBI chances, and your OBP leader is in an RBI role, coupled with a complete failure in the middle of the order who shouldn't be on the team.. can you really be surprised?

Agree with this. 2,3,4 need to be reshuffled.

Altuve
Bregman
Tucker/Alvarez
Alvarez/Tucker

Batting 2nd vs 4th got Alvarez an extra AB tonight

A lot of good that did. I'd rather see him bat fewer times with more men on base. He is hitting .250 with 2 bombs and 3 RBI from the 2 hole.

Explain Ohtani and Judge for me then. Judge had an all time in the past 20 years offensive season from the 2-hole.

Explain Acuna.
Judge was the only player with over .350% OBP last year. Torres was .347%. You want the most bases on the 2 hole. It's bonus if they get you lots of power and RBI's. But if Bregman was on the Yankees all of these years, you think his elite BB% and OBP% would have been batting behind Judge? Judge would be the 3-hole.

Ohtani bats in front of Trout. Those two guys are your only two quality hitters. You bat the 2 and 3 because you have nobody else.

The issue isn't Yordan in the two hole. It's that it's really the only place to maximize Bregman. And in what world do you want your historically elite OBP% guy batting in front of your generational power guy? In the 2-hole, Yordan has one quality bat in front of him. I don't care if he gets 40 at bats less in the 3 or 4 hole. I want the RBI chances to be maximized. It's not about how many AB's Yordan gets. It's the chances that the at bats he DOES get have as many people on base as possible.
"H-A: In return for the flattery, can you reduce the size of your signature? It's the only part of your posts that don't add value. In its' place, just put "I'm an investing savant, and make no apologies for it", as oldarmy1 would do."
- I Bleed Maroon (distracted easily by signatures)
The Porkchop Express
AG
An attempt at a few quasi-objective thoughts.

1) Alvarez is struggling in the 2 hole because of the guy in front of him. Altuve either gets on or gets out quickly. He loves those first pitch sabotages. That means Yordan is not seeing a lot of the pitcher in the first inning before he's up there. When he batted behind Bregman, Alex is taking 4 and 5 pitches to try and figure it out. I'm assuming Alvarez gets better as the season goes on, but right now it's not happening for the most part. If it doesn't get better, put Tucker there and let him and Altuve run the bases to generate something offensively with Yordan third again.

2) Bregman should flip flop with either Diaz or Tucker and get out of the cleanup spot. Cuz he's not a huge threat to go deep compared to those guys. I think I'd go ahead and put Diaz at cleanup because of his power with Bregman a threat behind him to eat up even more pitches and get a walk.

3) Pressley said all the right things in the off-season, but if I were him I'd be pretty pissed that I wasn't the closer anymore and not pitching in the life or death situations. He hasn't allowed a postseason earned run since the 2021 ALCS and easily could have been the World Series MVP in 2022. Doing phenomenal work year after year and losing your job regardless is a bad message to send through the clubhouse. It's easy to say that now with Hader struggling and the team off to a bad start, but that money could have been much better spent on more middle relief help and/or another starter.

4) The team seems to be playing under the same false impression that a lot of us fans have, that we're always going to be better than the likes of New York and Texas, and that last year's ALCS was some sort of a fluke. As my friend Maarva Andor says:

Yes baseball has its streaks and its breaks its bad bounces and a 2-7 stretch isn't exactly putting the Astros back to 2011-2013, but the deficit is already 4-1/2 games. A week from tonight, the season will be 10% done. Where will this team be then?

AggiEE
The Porkchop Express said:

An attempt at a few quasi-objective thoughts.

1) Alvarez is struggling in the 2 hole because of the guy in front of him. Altuve either gets on or gets out quickly. He loves those first pitch sabotages. That means Yordan is not seeing a lot of the pitcher in the first inning before he's up there. When he batted behind Bregman, Alex is taking 4 and 5 pitches to try and figure it out. I'm assuming Alvarez gets better as the season goes on, but right now it's not happening for the most part. If it doesn't get better, put Tucker there and let him and Altuve run the bases to generate something offensively with Yordan third again.

2) Bregman should flip flop with either Diaz or Tucker and get out of the cleanup spot. Cuz he's not a huge threat to go deep compared to those guys. I think I'd go ahead and put Diaz at cleanup because of his power with Bregman a threat behind him to eat up even more pitches and get a walk.

3) Pressley said all the right things in the off-season, but if I were him I'd be pretty pissed that I wasn't the closer anymore and not pitching in the life or death situations. He hasn't allowed a postseason earned run since the 2021 ALCS and easily could have been the World Series MVP in 2022. Doing phenomenal work year after year and losing your job regardless is a bad message to send through the clubhouse. It's easy to say that now with Hader struggling and the team off to a bad start, but that money could have been much better spent on more middle relief help and/or another starter.

4) The team seems to be playing under the same false impression that a lot of us fans have, that we're always going to be better than the likes of New York and Texas, and that last year's ALCS was some sort of a fluke. As my friend Maarva Andor says:

Yes baseball has its streaks and its breaks its bad bounces and a 2-7 stretch isn't exactly putting the Astros back to 2011-2013, but the deficit is already 4-1/2 games. A week from tonight, the season will be 10% done. Where will this team be then?

Pressly needs to get his head together. If the Hader situation is influencing his current performance. It really shouldn't. He should be a professional. He's one of the highest paid relievers in the league.

Pressly is hanging sliders over the middle of the plate right now and making very uncompetitive, sloppy pitches. It's concerning.
W
AG
right now...

about half of Bregman's plate appearances (32) have come with a runner(s) on base....

and he has 1 RBI
tjack16
AG

Might be something to this after all
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Wabs
AG
Can we not please try Tucker at 2 and Yordan at 3? I mean just once or twice to see if it does anything? What is there to lose at this point? Or is this Espada's hill that he's going to die on?
tjack16
AG
Wabs said:

Can we not please try Tucker at 2 and Yordan at 3? I mean just once or twice to see if it does anything? What is there to lose at this point? Or is this Espada's hill that he's going to die on?

That's what I've been wanting. I like Tucker's speed at 2

Altuve
Tucker
Alvarez
Diaz
Bregman
Wabs
AG
I'd have to go back to the offseason thread where I was saying Tucker should be batting 2nd. I wanted it at times last year. I understand there are good arguments either way, but what I can SEE right now is that something isn't working. Is there any harm in shaking it up a little?
Mathguy64
AG
tjack16 said:

So. Sticky stuff was allowing him to do something unnatural. And when he attempted the same unnatural act without it he got hurt.

Got it.

Maybe throw less hard? With less spin and torque? Maybe throw less unnaturally?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
tjack16 said:

FWIW this is a clip from a few years ago when they first started checking pitchers. He had two starts and needed Tommy John.
All I do is Nguyen
Beat40
Heineken-Ashi said:

Beat40 said:

Bregxit said:

DeProfundis said:

Bregxit said:

Heineken-Ashi said:

BeaumontAg05 said:

It's mind blowing that we just cannot score. Our starters have done outstanding on the mound, but we just can't score. It makes no sense how we could be so bad on offense.
When your lineup is constructed so that your RBI producer doesn't have many RBI chances, and your OBP leader is in an RBI role, coupled with a complete failure in the middle of the order who shouldn't be on the team.. can you really be surprised?

Agree with this. 2,3,4 need to be reshuffled.

Altuve
Bregman
Tucker/Alvarez
Alvarez/Tucker

Batting 2nd vs 4th got Alvarez an extra AB tonight

A lot of good that did. I'd rather see him bat fewer times with more men on base. He is hitting .250 with 2 bombs and 3 RBI from the 2 hole.

Explain Ohtani and Judge for me then. Judge had an all time in the past 20 years offensive season from the 2-hole.

Explain Acuna.
Judge was the only player with over .350% OBP last year. Torres was .347%. You want the most bases on the 2 hole. It's bonus if they get you lots of power and RBI's. But if Bregman was on the Yankees all of these years, you think his elite BB% and OBP% would have been batting behind Judge? Judge would be the 3-hole.

Ohtani bats in front of Trout. Those two guys are your only two quality hitters. You bat the 2 and 3 because you have nobody else.

The issue isn't Yordan in the two hole. It's that it's really the only place to maximize Bregman. And in what world do you want your historically elite OBP% guy batting in front of your generational power guy? In the 2-hole, Yordan has one quality bat in front of him. I don't care if he gets 40 at bats less in the 3 or 4 hole. I want the RBI chances to be maximized. It's not about how many AB's Yordan gets. It's the chances that the at bats he DOES get have as many people on base as possible.

Looking at RBIs, the thing you keep bringing up, the last three years Ohtani and Yordan have almost identical RBI numbers. Ohtani from the 2-hole, Yordan from the 3/4. '23, judge had an outline year with 131 RBI, but last year was on pace for roughly the same RBI as Yordan, again from the 2-hole.

The Dodgers still have Ohtani batting in the 2-hole.

Also, want to guess who had the highest OBP on the Astros last year? Yordan Alvarez, followed by Altuve and Tucker. Guess who in '22? Yordan. Guess who in 21? Yuli. Bregman has only be as high as 3rd in OBP for the Astros in past 3 years.

Your own arguments are actually making the case for Yordan. Or maybe Tucker since he's had a higher OBP than Bregman 2 out of the last 3 years.

My point is there is a reason the most analytically driven teams are doing it. As I've said multiple times, if Yordan isn't batting 2-hole, he can bat no lower than 3-spot, since the top 3 see the most ABs over the course of the year.
MaxPower
tjack16 said:

I tend to agree with him. I don't think players have issues with sunscreen and Rosen. The problem is trying to differentiate between that and other stuff in the middle of the game. Would have to be a chemist to be an mlb umpire.
DeProfundis
Alvarez is obviously a better hitter than Tucker, but you don't lose much putting Tucker at 2 and Alvarez at 3, especially if it helps him see a few more pitches before he steps in.

I don't think Espada is going to do anything anytime soon though since he made a big deal about keeping the batting order the same
redline248
AG
Yeah, I don't have any sympathy for Glasnow.

I'm much more concerned with what the hell Ryan Pressly is doing
First Page Last Page
Page 141 of 1927

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.