***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,886,850 Views | 67483 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by DallasAg 94
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bregxit said:

Is Espada overmanaging or is he the oppo of Dusty and is managing completely by analytics?

I think the fact he left Blanco in for all 9 was clear he's not just doing everything the book tells him to.

But don't we want a manager that aligns with "the book" a very high % of the time?
astros4545
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Help me out, what's the potential downside in putting Jake in vs Yainer? Yainer is about league avg speed. He's fast for a catcher. Jake is top 10% speed. He's fast for anyone. I think it was the right now.

The very real chance that in the 11th inning you'd not have Diaz available to hit

If Jake was the winning run, it's an easier pinch run decision, but he was just to tie the game
Farmer1906
AG
astros4545 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Help me out, what's the potential downside in putting Jake in vs Yainer? Yainer is about league avg speed. He's fast for a catcher. Jake is top 10% speed. He's fast for anyone. I think it was the right now.

The very real chance that in the 11th inning you'd not have Diaz available to hit

If Jake was the winning run, it's an easier pinch run decision, but he was just to tie the game
Fair, but I kind of like the idea of getting there at all costs and then figuring it out.
W
AG
it's all part of the home malaise

inexplicable things keep happening
Ag_07
AG
For me the issue was not pinch running Jake as much it was giving him the green light.

If you want more speed to go first to third or even home on a hit then that's fine but if you want someone to steal to get into scoring position Jake was a bad choice.
Faustus
Sometimes we'd accuse Tucker of being lazy.
Quote:

it's all part of the home malaise
that only the Astros possess and the fans lament.
The offseason was typical. Spring in West Palm Beach, base running lessons.
During the season we'd make tootblans.
When Chas was insolent, he was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard, really.
FrioAg 00
AG
Record aside, there are more reasons to be happy in the first 6 games than worried. We are hitting and our SP are doing very well.

I don't believe our best pen players will continue to struggle, and I also believe with some of the arms coming back will end up adding relief pitchers in the back 1/3 of the year by default.

Games 3,4 and 6 were all blown late in the game and I do not believe that is going to be a trend. Just an anomaly.

We'll be fine.
Mr.Bond
AG
Espadas 95 million dollar closer has blown 2 games in 5 days...... not all Joe's fault
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

spadilly
S
tjack16
AG
Starting pitching: A
Offense: C-
Bullpen: F

My positives are Diaz, Pena, Chas, Tuck, and Altuve look great offensively. Starting pitching has been good enough to where we should be 4-2 or 5-1

Negatives are bullpen, Bregman, and Alvarez.

My throw them away in the trash are Jose Abreu and the baserunning blunders
Wabs
AG
spadilly said:

Can you imagine having him in this lineup instead of Abreu? Granted it may take a little time for him to settle in, but what do the Astros have to lose at this point? 1B is a massive problem right now.
tjack16
AG
I wonder if they will choose an easier series to bring him in. The road trip at the end of April to Washington and Chicago seem like it might be ideal. Especially given soon afterwards we have 16 games in a row with no days off and old man Abreu will need rest
ttha_aggie_09
AG
When you're talking about a potential replacement for Abreu, you have nothing to lose... dude is not good on defense, getting on base, getting hits, hitting for power, or really any measurable metric.

(outside of the fact you're paying him $20MM or whatever it is this year - which should've been obvious but I am clarifying)
All I do is Nguyen
Do we bench Abreu or DFA him in this situation?
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
bearkatag15
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

We won't DFA him
ttha_aggie_09
AG
They won't do it (bench him) unless he just absolutely never puts it together by July or so, which he won't, but they'll still keep him around. He's not getting DFA'd
agproducer
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Singleton is the move.
Beau Holder
AG
I would take Matijevic over Abreu at this point. Give Joey a shot!
tjack16
AG
If Loperfido isn't ready… sign Brandon Belt. He's still available and will be cheap
agproducer
AG
Farmer, please check me on this -- but I believe the earliest we will see Loperfido is April 13 or 14 -- the home series against the Rangers.

I'm not totally up on MLB service time, but as I understand it, if they wait 16 days from the start of the season to call him up, they get the extra year of service time?
Wabs
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Get rid of Singleton.
Wabs
AG
tjack16 said:

If Loperfido isn't ready… sign Brandon Belt. He's still available and will be cheap
I'd be ok with this as well if they feel Loperfido isn't ready. Hell, I'd be ok with putting Dubon over there as a band-aid.
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

He probably isn't quite ready. Before today he was striking out 47% of the time. Tiny sample but that was an issue in AAa last season too. I think Belt is the move.
Deluxe
AG
Quote:

Tjack16 - Javier
Farmer1906 - McCullers
MathGuy64 - Pressly
CFTXAG10 - Jose Abreu
RED AG 98 - Dubon
Lonestar_Ag09 - Jake Meyers
Deluxe - Blanco
Marvin - Framber alert
Bearkat15 - JP France
Beat40 - Montero
AgSportsFan89 - Singleton
Linkdude - Hunter Brown
Twisted Helix - Cabbage
DustyBaker - Julks
Bregxit - Hensley
n_touch - Pena
Prosperdick - Chas
Redline248 - Diaz
All I do is Nguyen - Garcia
iamtheglove - Urquidy
The Porkchop Express - Caratini
JABQ04 - Kessinger
West Roxbury - Mushinski
wangus12 - Hader
spadilly - Sousa
Wabs - Martinez
Teddy Perkins - Salazar
AggieJ2002 - Espada
Paging CFTXAG10...
The Porkchop Express
AG
The problem is that they aren't going to do anything with Abreu ,because he sucked balls to start last season but still somehow ended up with 18 HR and 90 RBI, then hit .313 in th ALDS and .286 in the ALCS. He had 4 homers and 13 RBI in 11 post-season games a few months ago.

It would have been much better if he had been decent in the first half last year, then dropped off to garbage time in the second half and playoffs, but because he was hot to end 2023, he's going to get a free pass for at least a month or two.
CFTXAG10
AG
I already conceded defeat. The scouting report is to pump fastballs. Old man river can't catch up. I'm holding on to a strand of hope that it's just a sluggish start
Post removed:
by user
tjack16
AG
If it was a 2 year deal he signed I wouldn't be as mad. But the fact he still has another year next year at 20Mil drives me crazy
linkdude
AG
DeProfundis
Beau Holder said:

I would take Matijevic over Abreu at this point. Give Joey a shot!

I would take Bogusevic over Abreu
agproducer
AG
linkdude said:

Big Jon is back. Maybe he will do something.
Mr.Bond
AG
Doobie = DubYas

Dubon = W's
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

AgSportsFan89
AG
agproducer said:

linkdude said:

He is going to run into one tonight. I want to believe
Mr.Bond
AG
AgSportsFan89 said:

agproducer said:

linkdude said:

He is going to run into one tonight. I want to believe

Run into a hot dog stand

MAGA

First Page Last Page
Page 105 of 1929

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.