***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,886,909 Views | 67484 Replies | Last: 2 min ago by 3B Paul 97
3B Paul 97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The guys just need to relax and have fun. I was hoping someone would put an athletic tape outline of Jake on the base paths for the team to see when they come out.
Deluxe
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Imagine someone telling you this stat in February and then telling you the team's record
Yea it's wild how good the starting pitching looks... while Abreu, Pressly, and Hader have combined to go 0-4.

Baseball is funny sometimes.
spadilly
S
Random question for anyone with one of the Adidas on field fitted hats like this:

Do these fit similar to New Era Low Profile hats or does the front stick way up? I look terrible in the non low profile hats, so before grabbing one I thought I'd ask.

Men's adidas Maroon Texas A&M Aggies On-Field Baseball Fitted Hat (12thmanshop.com)
tjack16
AG
spadilly said:

Random question for anyone with one of the Adidas on field fitted hats like this:

Do these fit similar to New Era Low Profile hats or does the front stick way up? I look terrible in the non low profile hats, so before grabbing one I thought I'd ask.

Men's adidas Maroon Texas A&M Aggies On-Field Baseball Fitted Hat (12thmanshop.com)

They're not low profile but are a little more bendable than the new era. Best practice is to buy one in person and try on a few
CFTXAG10
AG
spadilly said:

in my experience they don't fit at all like a new era 59fifty. They don't come down far enough and sit higher on the head. Then again, I got a big a** head 7 5/8
Beat40
bearkatag15 said:

I actually don't disagree with this assessment. Very possible for this team to sustain a long winning streak if the offense can get clicking. Just need one of Yordan or Alex to get it going, and I think this offense will start to hum.
CFTXAG10
AG
bearkatag15 said:

He's not wrong. Encouraging and frustrating at the same time. The opportunities are there, we just haven't capitalized or played to our full potential. I have faith they will figure it out.
iBrad
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Imagine someone telling you this stat in February and then telling you the team's record

The starting pitching won't remain that good and the bullpen won't remain as bad as it's been. Every season you can find a span of games like the stretch we're on now. It's just magnified when it's the first two series of the season.

Any time two out of the three of starters, bullpen, and offense are struggling, it's going to be a rough patch. We just need our pen or offense to get going to take advantage of our starting pitching while it's hot.
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

He showed this confidence last year too.

He knows how it goes. Yall remember the Braves that kicked our ass in the WS? Started 0-4, 4-8, 12-16, 19-23, 36-40, and so on. They didn't get & stay over .500 until Aug 5th. They only won 88 games so our goal
Is higher, but my point is good teams struggle at times. Sometimes it's early. Another example is the 2022 Phillies. They were 21-29 May 31st.
cc10106
How many notable winning streaks did we have last year? Maybe 2 or 3 that I recall offhand. New season and team, but I've heard this from Dana before. I'm encouraged by our starting pitching so far, but until we fix this **** at home and stop giving games away instead of finding ways to win, it doesn't matter.
Farmer1906
AG
cc10106 said:

How many notable winning streaks did we have last year? Maybe 2 or 3 that I recall offhand. New season and team, but I've heard this from Dana before. I'm encouraged by our starting pitching so far, but until we fix this **** at home and stop giving games away instead of finding ways to win, it doesn't matter.

We won 8 in a row in May, 5 in Aug, 4 in July. We also had a 6 out of 7 in July and 5 out of 6 in Sept & Aug. We won 11 in a row the season before.
Farmer1906
AG
AustinCountyAg
this is where I am. They have had numerous chances with RISP, but haven't gotten the big hit, coupled with stupid brain farts. One, or two hits and the team has a winning record. I am not concerned about the back end of the bullpen, they will be fine. Middle relief is what worries me.
tjack16
AG
Win today and split the series in Arlington and win in KC (at least go 4-3 on that road trip). Thats the goal. I think that would go a long way

If we can do that, we would be 6-8 coming back home.

I don't foresee this team being as good on the road as they were last year but I'm hoping we're close
Farmer1906
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

this is where I am. They have had numerous chances with RISP, but haven't gotten the big hit, coupled with stupid brain farts. One, or two hits and the team has a winning record. I am not concerned about the back end of the bullpen, they will be fine. Middle relief is what worries me.
That is also the easiest spot to fix. Look what Click did in 2021.

We Added
  • Raley
  • Maton
  • Garica
  • Montero
  • Graveman

By Giving Up
  • Myles Straw.
  • Bryan De La Cruz
  • Austin Pruitt
  • Abraham Toro
  • Joe Smith
  • Fredy Medina
jkag89
tjack16
AG
jkag89 said:

Hopefully he doesn't throw away his shot
MosesHallRAB04
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

bearkatag15 said:

He's not wrong. Encouraging and frustrating at the same time. The opportunities are there, we just haven't capitalized or played to our full potential. I have faith they will figure it out.

Maybe on the road. Home? Hell no
W
AG
so the million dollar question...

why have the home struggles from 2023 continued into 2024?

2023 was supposed to be a one-off situation
Ag_07
AG
Definitely the batters eye
Wabs
AG
Would like to see this today

1. Altuve 2B
2. Tucker RF
3. Yordan DH
4. Diaz C
5. Chas LF
6. Bregman 3B
7. Dubon 1B
8. Pena SS
9. Meyers CF
texasaggie2015
AG
At the end of the day, it's a six game sample size and a 162 game season. Most every team is going to have a couple stretches where they go 1-5 or worse. It's just baseball and it's a marathon.

The offense will come around. Yordan is just a little off. Bregman and Abreu have always started slow, though I get the concern with Abreu.

After watching Framber last night, I'm super encouraged.

The bullpen will work out. Middle relief is a concern of mine, but like Farmer said above, it can be easily fixed.

I personally don't feel any better or worse about this team six games in. That might change in 2-3 weeks- but for now, I still have the same level of confidence I had walking into Minute Maid Park on Opening Day.

I do think Espada might be over-managing a bit. Pinch running for Diaz in the 9th (Meyers isn't a big enough upgrade as a baserunner to justify that when it's not a tie game to me), pulling Framber early, etc. I'm hoping and assuming those are just butterflies and he'll settle in.

But anyway, all that to say we're going to be just fine. Can't wait to laugh about this stretch when we lock up a playoff spot down the road.
bearkatag15
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

when we lock up the division title down the road.

FIFY
redline248
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

spadilly said:

in my experience they don't fit at all like a new era 59fifty. They don't come down far enough and sit higher on the head. Then again, I got a big a** head 7 5/8
Stop the roids, Aroldis
Farmer1906
AG
Help me out, what's the potential downside in putting Jake in vs Yainer? Yainer is about league avg speed. He's fast for a catcher. Jake is top 10% speed. He's fast for anyone. I think it was the right now.
Beau Holder
AG
Because Jake went to the Altuve school of baserunning.
Ag_07
AG
Because Jake is a headcase and while he's fast he an awful baserunner.

We knew this prior to him faceplanting on his way to 2B.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Help me out, what's the potential downside in putting Jake in vs Yainer? Yainer is about league avg speed. He's fast for a catcher. Jake is top 10% speed. He's fast for anyone. I think it was the right now.
He may be top 10% in the league in speed, but he's clearly bottom 10% in brains.
Wabs
AG
I would have had Meyers steal during Abreu's swings and misses.
Farmer1906
AG
Jake was positive in runner runs last season. I don't think he's ever been thrown out advancing. Didn't Yainer miss a tag opportunity already? Yainer was negative in runner runs last season.
bearkatag15
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Jake was positive in runner runs last season. I don't think he's ever been thrown out advancing. Didn't Yainer miss a take opportunity already? Yainer was negative in runner runs last season.

Don't you dare try to justify this with facts
Farmer1906
AG
All I do is Nguyen
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
EastCoastAgNc
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

I had this exact thought earlier this week.
First Page Last Page
Page 104 of 1929

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.