***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

1,664,674 Views | 32899 Replies | Last: 4 min ago by All I do is Nguyen
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Also, Bregman keeps climbing
Farmer1906
AG
redline248 said:

Remember when Crane asked Click if he would bet his job on Jake Meyers?

I mean, he's not going to be Trout out there, but still.

History has been kind to James Click.
Mathguy64
AG
There is a massive lie in that table.

No way in hell Abreu has a better defensive WAR component than Big Jon. Whatever set of measures that metric contains, they are all drunk and not paying attention.
texasaggie2015
AG
Yeah, James Click was extremely confident in Jake. Dana Brown also has been very vocal behind the scenes about how much he believes in Meyers and that he should be getting more ABs. I'm surprised he's not playing nearly every day.
AgSportsFan89
AG
texpert68 said:

She was the Astros Minute Maid host for all the in stadium promos and got married and moved to Dallas maybe six or so years ago. She's an osu cowboy married to an Ag.

Thank you. I knew I remembered her from somewhere.
Farmer1906
AG
I think they're both similarly not great. Singleton just has more innings to rack up negative "points". I also don't think scooping is baked into the metrics. Jon has been better there. Eye test says Jon has been better IMO too.
All I do is Nguyen
The firemen coming!

All I do is Nguyen
I would love to find any delusional strangers fans who HONESTLY believe Roidis Garcia is better than Altuve.

Mathguy64
AG
Statcast has Jon worse as well, all based on range. I don't get that. We all watched Abreu not get to balls we thought he should have and I can't remember one play where I thought that of Jon. In fact I can't recall one negative defensive play Jon has contributed to.

But knowing how focused we all were on everything Abreu was doing or not doing at the time that may just be a carryover effect.

I'll chalk this one up to "defensive metrics are all still in Beta mode".
The Porkchop Express
No stat is ever going to be better than watching a guy play and seeing what he does.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Jeff Luhnow just knocked on your door
Farmer1906
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

No stat is ever going to be better than watching a guy play and seeing what he does.

Is this a serious comment?
wmitchell
AG
I'll take credit for the win last night! Went to the game - live in NB - but I haven't been to a regular season game during these golden years and seen them lose

Go stros!
Beau Holder
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Not very back of the baseball card of you.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Age has not been kind to George
_veeyah_
AG
wmitchell said:

I'll take credit for the win last night! Went to the game - live in NB - but I haven't been to a regular season game during these golden years and seen them lose

Go stros!

Hope you have your tickets ready for today, we gotta keep this winning streak going. No excuses!
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Age has not been kind to George

Credit for Luhnow for this one. Hard to let someone so beloved go.
The Porkchop Express
The Astros 5+ game win streak and the Hader 1-2-3 save have updated the Astros Bingo standings!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1edgd2SkGQFKtrwklFHDDTKOzVF5LFDK9c__Hwfz6olY/edit?usp=sharing
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
The Porkchop Express
Farmer1906 said:

I will correct it to no stat invented since 2000.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
jah003
S
So I've been gone for 6 days and paid very little attention to the Astros while I was gone. Do I just go back?
Maroon&Fight
jah003 said:

So I've been gone for 6 days and paid very little attention to the Astros while I was gone. Do I just go back?

Considering there is a perfect correlation to you being wherever you were and the Astros being undefeated, yeah you need to GTFO
Marvin
AG

There certainly are intrinsic characteristics to consider that stats do not capture. There's a reason Bauer is not playing right now. I think Correa has leadership qualities that are difficult to quantify. I'd add Brantley as well, and Altuve with how they work and prepare.

If stats were the be-all-end-all, the nerds would not keep creating new ones… haha.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Farmer1906
AG
Marvin said:

There certainly are intrinsic characteristics to consider that stats do not capture. There's a reason Bauer is not playing right now. I think Correa has leadership qualities that are difficult to quantify. I'd add Brantley as well, and Altuve with how they work and prepare.

If stats were the be-all-end-all, the nerds would not keep creating new ones… haha.

Continuous improvement, capturing more and new information, & not letting perfect get in the way of better.
Ag_07
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

I would love to find any delusional strangers fans who HONESTLY believe Roidis Garcia is better than Altuve.

But look at the games played!!!! - Ranger fans probably
jah003
S
Maroon&Fight said:

jah003 said:

Considering there is a perfect correlation to you being wherever you were and the Astros being undefeated, yeah you need to GTFO

Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
redline248
AG
Excellent
linkdude
AG
Jake in CF is positive here, but I'd still prefer Lopes over Dubie in left.
All I do is Nguyen
The Porkchop Express
It appears our power may be back on. Will know in an hour, so apologies for the loss
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Mine has flipped off and on over a 15 times in the past 90 minutes
Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Marvin said:

Continuous improvement, capturing more and new information, & not letting perfect get in the way of better.

Ok, yeah, I see that. Uh huh. Sure. Except what I mentioned is not captured, nor is it going to be captured, on the back of a baseball card. If that were possible, every manager and CEO hire would lead to success.

I'm happy to get into a deep dive on continuous improvement and business transformations if you'd like. That's my geek-out space and career work, but I'm not sure anyone else would really care.

Marvin
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Mine has flipped off and on over a 15 times in the past 90 minutes

That happened to us yesterday. I finally had to flip all the breakers to keep appliances and motors from frying. I think I still lost a big printer, unfortunately.
First Page Last Page
Page 619 of 941

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.