***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,748,253 Views | 66749 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by BadAggie
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
but that Yordan trade though

an all-timer for the 'stros
texasaggie2015
AG
Brown will likely move to the bullpen
W
AG
favorite Bregman stat:

6 runs scored in 150 plate appearances
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

So, end of the line for Bielak? I can't see a scenario where they value brown over what dubin has shown recently.
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

He's excelled out of the pen. This doesn't show it but in the postseason too.
The Porkchop Express
AG
I think today might be the first time in decades I watch a non-astro regular season game. Interested to see what skenes brings in his debut
Life is better with a beagle
texasaggie2015
AG
He's stuff plays better out of the pen (not that it's uncommon). I was told last year they had planned on moving Garcia to the pen but I'm not sure if that's changed.
linkdude
AG
curious if this small sample would pique Dana's interest
AggiEE
texasaggie2015 said:

He's stuff plays better out of the pen (not that it's uncommon). I was told last year they had planned on moving Garcia to the pen but I'm not sure if that's changed.

What doesnt make sense though are his blow ups in the early innings. That should have no difference versus a bullpen inning, unless he pitches differently as a starter vs. reliever (trying to conserve energy and not gas himself)
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Sometimes it Bielak that
EastCoastAgNc
AG
redline248
AG
It'll be nice to have them both back, assuming no set backs. Chas will have to come back and hit a lot better, though.
All I do is Nguyen
We're getting the band back together!
MaxPower
AggiEE said:

texasaggie2015 said:

What doesnt make sense though are his blow ups in the early innings. That should have no difference versus a bullpen inning, unless he pitches differently as a starter vs. reliever (trying to conserve energy and not gas himself)
There is a difference. He has to pace himself. As a RP he can throw max effort with his fastball. He can also focus more on 2 pitches (maybe 3) rather than establishing 4 or 5.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
SpaceCityAg05
AG
Yeah, I am sad to see that although it was going to happen eventually

Bielak may not be the best pitcher, but there is value in having an arm that can soak up a LOT of innings and get hot in a hurry on the middle of an inning if things implode for the SP. He is the perfect swing-guy/last arm in the pen.

But the lack of remaining options was going to eventually force the issue.
MaxPower
EastCoastAgNc said:

Roster mismanagement is a bit harsh. When you have a bunch of injuries and "starters" giving you 1 or 2 innings you are up **** creek without a paddle.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
SpaceCityAg05 said:

Yeah, I am sad to see that although it was going to happen eventually

Bielak may not be the best pitcher, but there is value in having an arm that can soak up a LOT of innings and get hot in a hurry on the middle of an inning if things implode for the SP. He is the perfect swing-guy/last arm in the pen.

But the lack of remaining options was going to eventually force the issue.

I just hope someone wants to trade for him rather than losing him for nothing on waivers
Mathguy64
AG
That's a game of chicken. If you want him and think no one else does, wait the dead period out. If you think someone else does too, pony up a chip.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Beat40
EastCoastAgNc said:

There's your answer for when Urquidy comes back.
BadAggie
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Sometimes it Bielak that

BadAggie
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Pena in the 2 spot

For good
redline248
AG
Need one of those OFs to have a good game, at least
Farmer1906
AG
BadAggie said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Pena in the 2 spot

For good

Why would you want to move Tucker down?
The Porkchop Express
AG
Porkchop's Astro Shanks Report 5/11/2024

Score: Astros 5, Detroit Rock City 2
I Knew It Was Over When: I checked my phone for roughly the 357th time at my wife's market and she said sarcastically "Are they still losing?" and I said loudly "NO THEY ARE KICKING ASS" and then she narrowed her eyes at me because there was a lady with a little kid right in front of us.

Record: 14-24, 4th place, 7 games out of first, 5 games out of the final wildcard spot
Projected record: 60-102

Run differential: -28, 10th in the AL
Runs scored: 167, 7th in the AL
Runs allowed: 195, 13th in the AL

Record needed to finish 81-81: 67-57
Record needed to finish 92-70: 78-56

Record on May 11, 2014: 11-26
Record on May 11, 2004: 21-11
Record on May 11, 1994: 17-15
Record on May 11, 1984: 13-18
Record on May 11, 1974: 20-13
Record on May 11, 1964: 11-16

This Day in Astros History:
May 11,1996: In a game featuring 19 runs, 27 hits, and 3 errors, the Astros lose a heartbreaker at Montreal, 10-9 in 13 innings, blowing leads of 8-4 and 9-8. The team goes up 9-8 in the top of the 12th on the unlikely sac fly by Brian L. Hunter, but an error by Sean Berry lets Montreal tie it in the bottom of the inning, and Moises Alou wins it with a walkoff in the last of the 13th. All of this is overshadowed by the shocking events in College Station, TX, where The Porkchop Express graduates from Texas A&M. President Ray Bowen is overheard saying, "I don't know who that guy is, but thank God he's gone."

Pena Power: Second in the AL in batting average at .338. 7 for 11 batting cleanup with 3 RBi and an insane slash of .636/.667/.909.

Framber Alert: Third quality start of the year in 5 starts total.

Chasing 3,000: Another hit for Altuve yesterday has him up to 2,098. He's one behind Brian Downing for 237th place. Ona very, very rough look at the career hit list, Altuve is already 11th or 12th in career hits among guys who were primarily second basemen. He's also currently 243rd in total bases, 177th in doubles, and 168th in stolen bases.

W
AG
um, what is Espada doing?
Beat40
W said:

um, what is Espada doing?

Giving guys a day off. He actually needs to rotate through the infield and give Bregman, Altuve, and Pena a day off too. Also gets Dubon more ABs. Win win for everyone.

Sometimes you guys are so dramatic about everything.
The Porkchop Express
AG
My mental math says winning 2 out of every 3 games over the next 30 gets you to 34-34 in Game 68.
tjack16
AG
I'd still rather Bregman hit 6th

It started working so we move him back to 4th?
The Porkchop Express
AG
RED AG 98 said:

Bingo thread deleted again.... sigh. What the heck is wrong with that thread????
Here's the answer I got via email (partial): Please don't create threads that troll an entire group of other users to the extent that they start to take collective action against you.
The Porkchop Express
AG
tjack16 said:

I'd still rather Bregman hit 6th

It started working so we move him back to 4th?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

RED AG 98 said:

Bingo thread deleted again.... sigh. What the heck is wrong with that thread????
Here's the answer I got via email (partial): Please don't create threads that troll an entire group of other users to the extent that they start to take collective action against you.

Well that's...
First Page Last Page
Page 542 of 1908

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.