***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

1,746,399 Views | 34358 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by The Porkchop Express
tjack16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MaxPower said:

Polling question. At what date and record would you start trading veterans and who are you willing to trade?

For me, I'd say if you are 5 games below .500 at 6/30 or below .500 at the trade deadline I'm selling. I'd look into moving anyone who is a free agent after this season or next.

If we are within 7ish games of the wild card by July 25th then I wouldn't trade anybody

But if the ship isn't righted by then… then I'd see what you can get for Bregman, Framber, JV, Pressly, one of the CF, and Urquidy

The pieces to me that can't be moved are Altuve, Yordan, Bryan Abreu, Javier, Garcia, Tucker, Diaz and Pena.
MaxPower
texasaggie2015 said:

He just played his 50th total game in AAA. I don't think you have to worry about him getting disgruntled anytime soon. He'll get a shot soon and I'm sure he's been getting feedback on what he needs to continue to work on.
I think you overestimate planning by this team. Loperfido hasn't played 1B since Friday….
texasaggie2015
AG
He's getting plenty of work.
Wabs
AG
If we're going to re-stock our very depleted farm (and we're sellers), then we need to be willing to depart with Tucker and Abreu (the pitcher of course). Especially Tucker - lots of value with another year of control.
CFTXAG10
AG
MaxPower said:

texasaggie2015 said:

He just played his 50th total game in AAA. I don't think you have to worry about him getting disgruntled anytime soon. He'll get a shot soon and I'm sure he's been getting feedback on what he needs to continue to work on.
I think you overestimate planning by this team. Loperfido hasn't played 1B since Friday….
I swear I heard somewhere he has been working out at MMP at first base. Not surprising with Sugarland right down the road.

tjack16
AG
Wabs said:

If we're going to re-stock our very depleted farm (and we're sellers), then we need to be willing to depart with Tucker and Abreu (the pitcher of course). Especially Tucker - lots of value with another year of control.

I wouldn't go full rebuild though. Even if this season is a disaster in the end I'd still hold as many controllable solidified pieces as possible.

You have plenty of pieces to still be a playoff team in 2025-beyond so I'd still keep Tucker and try to extend him.
CFTXAG10
AG
MaxPower
texasaggie2015 said:

He's getting plenty of work.
Can't replace in game experience. Going to look like complete morons if he has 2 errors the first week he's called up.
Farmer1906
AG
Joey Baseball is lapping the field.
cc10106
Platoon Abreu with Loperfido and whoever else. I haven't given up on Jose yet based on how he recovered last year and contributed well later in the season. It's a perfect storm of issues right now for this club, and that doesn't even get into potential issues with Crane taking too much control, but they have time to rally and turn it around.

MaxPower
tjack16 said:

Wabs said:

I wouldn't go full rebuild though. Even if this season is a disaster in the end I'd still hold as many controllable solidified pieces as possible.

You have plenty of pieces to still be a playoff team in 2025-beyond so I'd still keep Tucker and try to extend him.
I suppose that's the question. Who are you going to extend and when? When you say controllable, Tucker is only "controllable" for one more year and he likely costs $20+M in 2025 arbitration so he also eats into your ability to acquire a free agents this offseason. It would be nice if they worked out whoever they are going to extend before this year's deadline.

I agree he's lower on the list of guys I'd prefer to trade (Bregman is obvious and there should be 0 chance you are bringing back 43 year old JV in 2026), but I wouldn't take him off the list. The Phillies, for example, have Justin Crawford looking like an all star CF, Painter who has ace potential and Aidan Miller who can be your 3B of the future. If they're offering those 3 I'm listening.
cc10106
Sign me up for raiding Philly's prospects if the deal is right, especially after how they fleeced us back in the late '00s. They have to be desperate for a title after the last couple seasons.

I remember this coming out of nowhere recently but not being mentioned here (understandably):
https://thatballsouttahere.com/posts/phillies-blockbuster-trade-astros-all-star-outfielder-kyle-tucker
MaxPower
Wouldn't mind Kerkering too for the pen. Filthy slider
n_touch
Mr.Bond said:

texasaggie2015 said:

I actually don't think he ends up in either of those places. I would keep an eye on Arizona.

My prediction as soon as I heard he's building a house there.

Arizona is an awesome place to live
I think him building him a house there is just that. A great place in the off season and to not have to live in Houston.

If he built a house there because he knew he was going to be playing there, a whole lot of questions on the tampering side need to be asked.
The Porkchop Express
Buck Compton said:

The Porkchop Express said:

texasaggie2015 said:

MaxPower said:

Ug, very concerning
I've been mentioning this for a while now. It's unfortunate. The brains behind the operation are no longer around and Crane has very much taken the reigns himself. He's a smart man... but being a smart man and being equipped to run an entire baseball organization are two completely different things.

I've been told he lost his ability to trust his people after the scandal came out. Things haven't been the same since.
This actually makes Crane a lot more sympathetic to me. Guys he put in power positions were constantly lying to him by omission and he had to wear the results and forever had his perception changed of what should have been his pinnacle as a sports owner. If i can't trust those guys, how do I trust anyone? It sucks that he's gone this way, but you cant blame him for losing faith in managers and GMs.
I take the exact opposite view. This sours me on him as a leader.

Your reaction to a failure shouldn't be to micromanage, especially if you don't have the expertise to do so. Just because you gave someone autonomy and let them drive decisions and failed, doesn't mean your approach to decentralizing decision-making was incorrect. And his inability to see the impact of his reaction is sinking the team.
Im not saying I agree with, I'm saying I understand why he feels that way.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
texasaggie2015
AG
It's actually him building a house close to where he grew up because that's where he prefers to be long term.
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

It's actually him building a house close to where he grew up because that's where he prefers to be long term.
Close is a relative term. He's probably about 400 miles from where he grew up. Closer than Houston though.
Farmer1906
AG
Jack Leiter starting today. That's probably worth watching. The Rangers haven't developed an arm in IDK how long.
Breggy Popup
AG
Farmer1906 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Close is a relative term. He's probably about 400 miles from where he grew up. Closer than Houston though.

And really who wants to live in the ABQ nowadays?
Farmer1906
AG
Bregxit said:

Farmer1906 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

And really who wants to live in the ABQ nowadays?
No argument from me. Closest major city worth living in. Scottsdale is kind of an it place to be right now.
n_touch
texasaggie2015 said:

I don't disagree with you on that. You said to keep an eye on Arizona, I am assuming you meant the team and not the state.

My point is that he is just doing it for whatever reason, not that he is sure he is going to be playing there. If he is SURE that he will be playing there already then there is an issue.
MaxPower
My guess is he goes west coast so he can have spring training in Arizona. I wonder if he's ever spent a summer in Scottsdale, he might not find it so appealing …..
Farmer1906
AG
MaxPower said:

My guess is he goes west coast so he can have spring training in Arizona. I wonder if he's ever spent a summer in Scottsdale, he might not find it so appealing …..
Is it all the different than New Mexico weather wise?

MaxPower
Albuquerque for sure. Average July high is 104. He's rich though, just get a summer house in flagstaff.
Mr.Bond
AG
Farmer1906 said:

MaxPower said:

It's bad, but it's all subjective. Houston in the summer's absolutely awful.The question is whether or not you prefer the dry heat or the humid heat
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Beau Holder
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Jack Leiter starting today. That's probably worth watching. The Rangers haven't developed an arm in IDK how long.

1.1 IP 3 ER and counting
Wabs
AG
Beau Holder said:

Farmer1906 said:

1.1 IP 3 ER and counting
Leiter isn't doing well, but it must be nice to have an offense to keep pace. Tied 4-4 in the 2nd...
The Porkchop Express
Wabs said:

Beau Holder said:

Farmer1906 said:

1.1 IP 3 ER and counting
Leiter isn't doing well, but it must be nice to have an offense to keep pace. Tied 4-4 in the 2nd...
Is this Leiter's walkout song?

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Ag_07
AG
We need all the mojo the baseball Gods have at their capacity so I'll forgo laughing at anyone else's struggles.
Beau Holder
AG
I will laugh at anything, anytime.

Except the Rangers announcers, I forgot how insufferably whiny and uninspired they are.
Farmer1906
AG
Beau Holder said:

Except the Rangers announcers, I forgot how insufferably whiny and uninspired they are.

I literally turned it off because they were so bad.

Back to deadlifts.
JohnnyTexAg1995
Beau Holder said:

omg yes! I'm at a bar for lunch and they have the sound on, there is no way even rangers fans enjoy listening to these guys!
Ag_07
AG
Beau Holder said:

I will not argue with this. They're rough
n_touch
Mr.Bond said:

Farmer1906 said:

MaxPower said:

It's bad, but it's all subjective. Houston in the summer's absolutely awful.The question is whether or not you prefer the dry heat or the humid heat
I have been in Houston, San Antoion and El Paso summers. Dry heat is still hot. Its just a matter of how fast your dangles get sweaty and stick to your leg.
spadilly
S

Off days…

First Page Last Page
Page 303 of 982

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.