***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,866,687 Views | 67416 Replies | Last: 51 min ago by BCEDAg
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Dana is not a major league GM.
Wabs
AG
Diaz: on the no-trade list
texasaggie2015
AG
FWIW- had a conversation with one of my people expecting some optimism. I got quite the opposite.
TRM
AG
I wasn't ranking them in order just giving a list. I'd probably go

1. Valdez
2. Javier
3. Verlander
4. Blanco
5. McCullers
6. Urquidy
7. Garcia
8. France
9/10 Brown/ Arrighetti
agracer
AG
gambochaman said:

Pasquantino had zero rbis before yesterday
He had zero extra base hits before last night.
texasaggie2015
AG
Dana certainly has his share of blame to go around. But most of this is on Jim Crane from what I understand. He has a hard time stepping back and letting his people do what they're paid to do.
Wabs
AG
Ah gotcha. Whew......
cc10106
agproducer said:

They said on the broadcast, that this is a tough schedule to open the season -- especially without JV. Now that Framber is down, it's even worse.

The hope was to be 10-10 after this stretch with JV out.

I'd be happy with 7-13 at this point.

The schedule softens a bit after the Braves.
There's no excuse for this team not to be 7-7 after today.
cc10106
linkdude
AG
I think we all learned that when he fired Click. Crane obviously has to be THE man, or feel like he's getting HIS man.
agracer
AG
cc10106 said:

Must be nice to have a team that can score with RISP.
The Royals were pretty crappy in that department before last Friday's series with the White Sox started. They were at the bottom of all teams before last week.

The Astro's lack of pitching is obviously killing them. The Royals pitchers are way above average right now, They'll regress to the mean soon enough.
agproducer
AG
cc10106 said:

agproducer said:

They said on the broadcast, that this is a tough schedule to open the season -- especially without JV. Now that Framber is down, it's even worse.

There's no excuse for this team not to be 7-7 after today.
I agree.

Both blown Yankee games. +2
The blown save against the Jays. +1

You can also make a case for game 1 against the Royals.
tjack16
AG
agproducer said:

I'm thinking we win 1/3 in both series coming up. So 6-14
TRM
AG
Crane played ball in college so he's qualified to be a GM like Jerry.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Dana certainly has his share of blame to go around. But most of this is on Jim Crane from what I understand. He has a hard time stepping back and letting his people do what they're paid to do.

What concerns me the most now is this: if we end up having a fire sale at the deadline (we aren't doing anything to show we will avoid it), do we really trust Dana to identify worthwhile pieces that can help us get back to contention quickly? The only thing worse than having this turd of a season would get having nothing to show for it for future years.
Wabs
AG
Blanco, Martinez and Scott - our 3 best pitchers. Wow......
scrimp
AG
Sure. I'd say there were probably 4-5 "could have/should have" won games. 2 or 3 of the NY series, the loss against the Jays, the extra inning loss against the Royals. Let's say we win 2 of those 5. The Astros would be sitting at 6-7 during this bloodbath. Not great, but not the craptastic record they have produced.
Wabs
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

texasaggie2015 said:

What concerns me the most now is this: if we end up having a fire sale at the deadline (we aren't doing anything to show we will avoid it), do we really trust Dana to identify worthwhile pieces that can help us get back to contention quickly? The only thing worse than having this turd of a season would get having nothing to show for it for future years.
If we offload Bregman, JV, Tucker and possibly Framber - we better get a good re-stock of our farm. But to answer your question - I'm not really trusting any of the Astros leadership right now.
iBrad
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Kind of hard for Dana to add to the roster if his owner doesn't let him spend. All of these hot takes assume the Astros had room to spend, but that room only existed if Crane gave the green light.
texasaggie2015
AG
It's so hard to get an accurate read on Dana because I just don't know how much freedom and leeway he actually has. I've been told Crane has had a really hard time trusting his people since the scandal and has become quite the micromanager ever since. Example: The Click situation which was mentioned above.

When it first happened, I was okay with it because I heard they didn't work well together and it seemed good to have someone who was on the same page as Crane. I'm starting to wonder if "not getting along" was more to do with Click not wanting to be micromanaged than anything else. Pure speculation on my part based off some of the things that have been mentioned to me.

That said, it's possible Dana just ain't it. It's just a weird situation all around.
Project Gemini
AG
Im sorry to whoever I was an ass to the other day about Brown versus France
Baseball Is Life
texasaggie2015 said:

Well, it didn't seem to be an issue with Luhnow. Also, Click seemed to run things very well, but maybe him not giving into Crane, is why he wasn't given a long-term contract extension. It sucks if Dana is really just a yes man to Jim.
texasaggie2015
AG
See above. Things changed after the whole scandal went down.
tjack16
AG
I'd still like to extend Tucker and make the core going forward Tucker, Yordan, Diaz, Pena and Altuve. That's a solid 5 to center a team around for the next 3-4 years
cc10106
Let's get some semblance of momentum going to close out this series.
Wabs
AG
tjack16 said:

I'd still like to extend Tucker and make the core going forward Tucker, Yordan, Diaz, Pena and Altuve. That's a solid 5 to center a team around for the next 3-4 years
If we're going to sell and start a "rebuild", I let Tucker go. He will by far bring in the best prospects. Bregman's stock is plummeting fast. JV is old and Framber is injured.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
cc10106 said:

Thank goodness for Ronel Blanco.
Don't jinx my guy. I picked him up for fantasy.
Beau Holder
AG
I am ready to see this team set a major league record for LOB. It's going to be hilarious.
Frok
AG
cc10106
PrestigeWorldwideAg12 said:

cc10106 said:

Thank goodness for Ronel Blanco.
Don't jinx my guy. I picked him up for fantasy.
In no way is complimenting the guy that got this team to 4 wins instead of having 2 jinxing him.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Cannot even throw the ball now. WTF
tjack16
AG
Wabs said:

tjack16 said:

If we're going to sell and start a "rebuild", I let Tucker go. He will by far bring in the best prospects. Bregman's stock is plummeting fast. JV is old and Framber is injured.

I don't think we should rebuild. That's why I'd extend Tucker and keep your young core + Altuve. We just need some younger/healthier pieces at certain positions. I'd love to see us get an awesome CF prospect + Loperfido develop at first
AggiEE
Nice.

The Disastros are now terrible on the road and home this year!

Jim Crane is a moron for thinking the rotation didn't need any shoring up and that all we needed was our 95 million
dollar man that won't get used very often if this keeps up…
n_touch
texasaggie2015 said:

FWIW- had a conversation with one of my people expecting some optimism. I got quite the opposite.
What is this about?
CFTXAG10
AG
silver lining - big jon has two walks today
First Page Last Page
Page 217 of 1927

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.