***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,280,403 Views | 60227 Replies | Last: 4 min ago by EastCoastAgNc
Beat40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
On Altuve: Honestly, I don't disagree with the ejection and I believe anyone else in the league would have been ejected too. Jose had already said his piece, Espada was arguing, Jose took a few steps away and came back to engage while taking part of his uniform off the field. I would expect an ejection to happen for all ball players in that situation.

The part that shows a lack of respect for Altuve is not showing a willingness to even check with the rest of the umpires to attempt to make sure the call is right.
JohnnyTexAg1995
Red Five said:

McInnis said:

Really bad bull to eject Altuve. That wasn't a judgement call and Jose was the only person in the stadium to know with 100% life and death certainty that the ball hit his foot. And his many years of good natured demeanor should have brought him some amount of latitude. The baseball gods can be a pretty fickle bunch but to have Kessinger in the game to make the final out, they were saying even they had had enough of these umps.
I don't know how you would ever have a scenario where any player takes off a shoe and sock like that and he doesn't get ejected. It's 100% done to show up the umpire. He might have deserved it, but you're going to get run no matter what. It's like a player drawing a line in the dirt to show where the pitch was. Automatic ejection every time. I doubt Jose had any illusions about whether that was his last appearance in that game when he took his shoe off.
the showing up the umpire thing is so grey though. I mean Machado threw his bat away and was walking to 1st base two times in a row and laughed at blue. That's showing up too. Umpires just have unlimited power in MLB and can choose what offends them too much and ring a guy up
Mathguy64
AG
As an add on today, the Rangers could officially get eliminated from the Division today. Their magic number is 2 for the West.

They have a magic number of 4 for the WC.

Farmer1906
AG
Don't look now, but the goat got his wRC+ up to 130 and is on the cusp of his 10th 4 or more WAR seasons in a row (excluding the 2020 fake season).

Altuve has also climbed to #134 all time in fWAR. He just passed Robinson Cano, Ichiro Suzuki, & Buster Posey. Next up is Joey Votto, Tony Perez, Keith Hernandez, Andre Dawson, Bobby Abreu, & Jackie Robinson.

Anyone who says he's not a first-ballot HOFer can EAD.
The Porkchop Express
AG
9 minute extended interview with Manny Machado after the game. He was very cool about the Altuve protest, saying "He wouldn't lie" about the ball being fouled off his foot.

houag78
AG
For those of you old guys out there…. If Jose was wearing black cleats it wouldn't be an issue…..
Ag_07
AG
Manny gets a bad rap for some of his antics earlier in his career but I'm fan of his.

I got no problem with Manny and enjoy watching him play.
Wabs
AG
Ag_07
AG
Last night i was thinking to myself...This is a quintessential Hector Neris outing.

All over the place to load the bases then buckle down and find a way out. Gets the job done but goes about it the absolute hardest way possible.
rosco511
AG
Funny thing is that I do not think Altuve was trying to show up the umpire. He was explaining after the game that his thought process was similar to a hitter who gets hit on his hand with batting glove or arm under his sleeve and shows the umpire the red mark to confirm he got hit. I honestly believe this that Altuve was not trying to show anyone up, just trying to show the evidence to prove he got hit.
BCEDAg
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

This one has me laughing more than any other one of these. Well done!
cc10106
Ag_07 said:

Last night i was thinking to myself...This is a quintessential Hector Neris outing.

All over the place to load the bases then buckle down and find a way out. Gets the job done but goes about it the absolute hardest way possible.
No one gets out of trouble better than Neris, at least when he's pitching for the Astros.
Ag_07
AG
Eh...I don't know if I buy that.

You have to know if you take your cleat and sock off your gonna get tossed.

Kessinger said he grabbed his glove as soon as he saw Altuve untie his cleat.

In that situation I have no problem with it but I don't buy that he was innocently showing the umpire.
Wabs
AG
Mathguy64 said:

As an add on today, the Rangers could officially get eliminated from the Division today. Their magic number is 2 for the West.

They have a magic number of 4 for the WC.

Mathguy64
AG
Oh there is no doubt he was getting tossed. But it's the second time this season it's happened to him and I think he just lost his mind. I don't really blame him.

The bigger issue is (a) this idiot not asking for help and (b) the fact that this is somehow not reviewable. It's a factual event. You can see the ball hit his foot and chance direction. Get on the damn headset and let someone with a HD monitor see that and reverse the call.
Mr.Ackar07
Mathguy64 said:

I fully expect a Jose Altuve shoeless bobble foot give away next season.
Beat40
Mathguy64 said:

Oh there is no doubt he was getting tossed. But it's the second time this season it's happened to him and I think he just lost his mind. I don't really blame him.

The bigger issue is (a) this idiot not asking for help and (b) the fact that this is somehow not reviewable. It's a factual event. You can see the ball hit his foot and chance direction. Get on the damn headset and let someone with a HD monitor see that and reverse the call.
Agree. All calls/plays on the field should be reviewable.
Beat40
Ag_07 said:

Eh...I don't know if I buy that.

You have to know if you take your cleat and sock off your gonna get tossed.

Kessinger said he grabbed his glove as soon as he saw Altuve untie his cleat.

In that situation I have no problem with it but I don't buy that he was innocently showing the umpire.
Ok, that's actually badass by Kessinger.

Makes sense how he was able to come in and make that play - dude was locked in.
Ag_07
AG
And why the F are umpires having to call NY for a rule interpretation?

Shouldn't the umps know the rules? That's their job.

That's even worse than missing a blatant call. At least there's judgement involved in missing a call.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Ag_07 said:

And why the F are umpires having to call NY for a rule interpretation?

Shouldn't the umps know the rules? That's their job.

That's even worse than missing a blatant call. At least there's judgement involved in missing a call.
Almost as bad as teachers not knowing how or what to teach these days...
Mathguy64
AG
The playoffs will be wild this year. We have basically been playing playoff teams since Baltimore. The matchups and intensity are there on both sides.
AggiEE
BayAg_14 said:

Didn't realize Padres were up in arms about the HBP on Profar as well. Makes sense since it was a lefty on righty matchup.

I was a little surprised the Astros challenged, honestly I would have walked profar to get the play at any base and have a righty on righty matchup

Worked out in our favor
Farmer1906
AG
It also put the winning run on second.
Prosperdick
AG
Ag_07 said:

Manny gets a bad rap for some of his antics earlier in his career but I'm fan of his.

After watching that 3 minutes with him I'm starting to come around too.
All I do is Nguyen
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
Ag_07
AG
Manny is an RBI machine. Thought I saw that his BA with RISP is like.344 or something ridiculous.

I'll take Profar all day with runner at first vs Manny with winning run in scoring position.
agproducer
AG
Prosperdick said:

Ag_07 said:

After watching that 3 minutes with him I'm starting to come around too.
I agree. He seemed very humble able a good game between two good teams. I liked what he had to say and how he handled it.
Ags #1
AG
Hahahahaha, 83% strike accuracy is so so bad.
Prosperdick
AG
Mathguy64 said:

I need to rewatch but did he really not ask any of the other umpires for their assistance, especially Brian O'Nora at 3B? That's exactly why you get them all together in a huddle with one other umpire acting as a bouncer to keep any players away so they can talk privately and candidly.

Miller: "So Brian, are you 100% sure it hit his foot from your vantage point?"
O'Nora: "Yeah, 100% it hit his foot."
Miller: "OK good enough for me, I had a tough angle on it."

See how f***ing easy that was?

We've all seen that MANY times and almost EVERY time the ump comes out of the huddle making the correct call. But not this jack ass, didn't even ask for help.

ETA - Just rewatched and NOPE, never asked for help. Altuve probably should have waited to take his shoe off or not at all but Espada was pleading for him to ask for help but he wouldn't. Very definition of an ego driven ump who should be fired this morning but hell, he probably will get commended by Mandfred.
Prosperdick
AG
Ags #1 said:

Hahahahaha, 83% strike accuracy is so so bad.
Can you imagine...that's basically 1 of 5 calls is incorrect, that's almost once each at bat. Unreal.
JohnnyTexAg1995
Prosperdick said:

Mathguy64 said:

I need to rewatch but did he really not ask any of the other umpires for their assistance, especially Brian O'Nora at 3B? That's exactly why you get them all together in a huddle with one other umpire acting as a bouncer to keep any players away so they can talk privately and candidly.

Miller: "So Brian, are you 100% sure it hit his foot from your vantage point?"
O'Nora: "Yeah, 100% it hit his foot."
Miller: "OK good enough for me, I had a tough angle on it."

See how f***ing easy that was?

We've all seen that MANY times and almost EVERY time the ump comes out of the huddle making the correct call. But not this jack ass, didn't even ask for help.

ETA - Just rewatched and NOPE, never asked for help. Altuve probably should have waited to take his shoe off or not at all but Espada was pleading for him to ask for help but he wouldn't. Very definition of an ego driven ump who should be fired this morning but hell, he probably will get commended by Mandfred.
yep you can read his lips telling Joe, that it is his call and no one else's. That's horrific
Booma94
AG
Ag_07 said:

Another overlooked AB from last night was Pressly vs Machado

That was a great battle with Pressly making some absolutely great pitches. During the AB you can see Manny kinda nodding his head smirking after he whiffed on some nasty pitches. Then when he K'd he tipped his hat walking out of the box as to say 'Alright...You got me. Well done'.

Just a great battle then game recognizing game.

I like this Padres team and these have been really good playoff vibe games. I'd hate to face these guys in the playoffs. After last night and with the pitching matchup on deck today should be a another great game.
Well, it would be in the World Series, so I wouldn't hate it that much.
W
AG
the Padres are a tough matchup

strong pitching and strong hitting
iamtheglove
All I do is Nguyen said:

This is concerning. Depending on what actually happened I assume baseball would potentially dole out some suspensions.
All I do is Nguyen
SIAP but this was very interesting thing to find out about the ump last night

No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
First Page Last Page
Page 1708 of 1721

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.