***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,276,158 Views | 60179 Replies | Last: 3 min ago by jkag89
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That will teach me to fall asleep before the end of the game.
Ags #1
AG
Looking for clip of Jose going off on umps if anyone has it
Mathguy64
AG
Does anyone know why NLB doesn't allow a review on a call of hitting a ball off your foot? It's a factual call. It either hit you and is a dead ball or it didn't. It makes no sense to not review that.
CFTXAG10
AG
Hang it in the Louvre
mwm
I don't understand how Machado shows the home plate ump twice in one AB then turns around and tosses Altuve.

Anyway, Winner. Winner.
JohnnyTexAg1995
Hader said the explanation they gave him on the step off was that they didn't know if a new pitcher coming in could step off…

So according to this crew Profar could have just walked down to home plate cause he's not allowed to be thrown at haha

What a ridiculous thing for a full MLB umpiring crew to not know the answer to, and what a joke the "rules" people were for not responding in 20 seconds "oh there's a runner on base? Keep playing ****ing baseball!"

Between the zone, the not knowing the rules, not asking for help from fellow umpires and the rules office and replay being idiots, that was probably the worst overall ran baseball game by a crew and MLB I've ever seen
The Porkchop Express
AG
Ags #1 said:

JohnnyTexAg1995
Mathguy64 said:

Does anyone know why NLB doesn't allow a review on a call of hitting a ball off your foot? It's a factual call. It either hit you and is a dead ball or it didn't. It makes no sense to not review that.
cause it makes too much sense! Why would MLB do anything that makes sense and is obvious to everyone…
The Porkchop Express
AG
This will likely go down as my biggest contribution to the thread since accurately predicting the scores of 3 playoff games during the 2022 title run.

Prosperdick
AG
gambochaman said:

The cosmic karma of the 9th and 10th

Umps try screw us with the altuve fair ball and ejection, which brings kess into the game
Umps try to screw us again by calling a phantom hit by pitch to put another runner on base

That phantom runner is the final force out at second by kess….altuve is good, but not sure he makes that play

Suck it beetches
Altuve is 5-5 (that's being generous)...Grae is 6-1 so he has MUCH more reach than Jose so I think you can safely assume Altuve does not make that play and we lose the game. Obviously positioning and reflexes are other variables but I'd like to think the sh*tty umpiring backfired on them.
Prosperdick
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Who knows but I'd rather NLB take over because MLB SUCKS at it.
BayAg_14
Didn't realize Padres were up in arms about the HBP on Profar as well. Makes sense since it was a lefty on righty matchup.
Ag_07
AG
I'd love to see clips of the Padres broadcast and hear what their reactions were.

And I loved Hader's reaction sitting next to JV. Never flinches or says anything. Just slowly shakes his head in disappointment and disbelief.

Just a shame how an absolute fantastic game is overshadowed by the incompetency of the umpire crew.
Chef Elko
AG
Wow, I went to bed after the Machado HR. This looks like a wild game with a run from each team on a wild pitch, Altuve being thrown out AND we win in extras.
Prosperdick
AG
Ags #1
AG
Thank you sir!
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Teddy Perkins
AG
linkdude
AG
Looking ahead to tonight, SSS but Altuve is 5-10 with 2 bombs against Cease, Bregman 3-9, Tucker 4-10. Yordan is only 2-13.

Beat40
Mathguy64 said:

I believe you can't challenge ANY infield/outfield foul ball call.

Edit:
Replay Review Rules

Quote:

• Non-home run boundary calls: Calls involving a decision regarding whether a live ball bounces out of the field of play, strikes the top of a fence or hits a railing or other obstacle in the ballpark, is interfered with by a fan reaching over the fence, is successfully caught by a fielder proximate to a stadium boundary, or leaves the field of play and becomes a dead ball.
  • Specified fair/foul ball calls: Calls involving a decision regarding whether a batted ball was foul are reviewable only on balls that first land at or beyond the set positions of the first- or third-base umpire.

Ag_07
AG
Another overlooked AB from last night was Pressly vs Machado

That was a great battle with Pressly making some absolutely great pitches. During the AB you can see Manny kinda nodding his head smirking after he whiffed on some nasty pitches. Then when he K'd he tipped his hat walking out of the box as to say 'Alright...You got me. Well done'.

Just a great battle then game recognizing game.

I like this Padres team and these have been really good playoff vibe games. I'd hate to face these guys in the playoffs. After last night and with the pitching matchup on deck today should be a another great game.
Ciboag96
Ag_07 said:

I'd love to see clips of the Padres broadcast and hear what their reactions were.

And I loved Hader's reaction sitting next to JV. Never flinches or says anything. Just slowly shakes his head in disappointment and disbelief.

Just a shame how an absolute fantastic game is overshadowed by the incompetency of the umpire crew.

Unions. When being trash is protected
Prosperdick
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

FANTASTIC!!!!
Prosperdick
AG
linkdude said:

Looking ahead to tonight, SSS but Altuve is 5-10 with 2 bombs against Cease, Bregman 3-9, Tucker 4-10. Yordan is only 2-13.

I guess that means Altuve will get suspended for this game.
All I do is Nguyen
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
Buck Compton
AG
You just know that asshat Brandon Miller is going to be on one of our playoff games.
McInnis
AG
Every year I watch a lot of Aggie baseball, and then transition to the Astros when the college season is over.

And then every year I'm amazed at how many plays like Kessinger's you can see in any MLB game. To me that's the biggest difference in college and pro baseball. That was a great play but really the game situation, and his, made it more special.

Now I do see a lot of very poorly umpired games at the college level. In general MLB umpires are better. But the umps in the last two games were remarkably bad even for NCAA standards.

Really bad bull to eject Altuve. That wasn't a judgement call and Jose was the only person in the stadium to know with 100% life and death certainty that the ball hit his foot. And his many years of good natured demeanor should have brought him some amount of latitude. The baseball gods can be a pretty fickle bunch but to have Kessinger in the game to make the final out, they were saying even they had had enough of these umps.
Martin Cash
AG
Ags #1 said:

Shoeless Jose?
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2
Mathguy64
AG
I fully expect a Jose Altuve shoeless bobble foot give away next season.
Beat40
Well, today's game will be interesting. Haha.

I like the personality of the team, man. I don't know if it's Joe has put more on Altuve this year or if it's just that the have been in grind mode all season, but that interaction after game by some of the guys on the team I would think is for Altuve. You can just tell Altuve is different this year. Feels like he wants it bad this year, and I think it's rubbing off on them.

I wonder who it was that confronted the umpires. Will also be interested what MLB says. Not often a team and the umps get that heated after the game.
tjack16
AG
They should have media availability for umpires.
Beat40
Was thinking about it last night: obviously the team would rather have not gone through April/May, but it may have been the best thing for them. They saw it could be taken away and it feels like they are playing with a willingness to grind.

This season is also damn good for the young guys. It will pay dividends for Blanco, Yanier, Hunter, Spencer, and Jeremy.
Prosperdick
AG
McInnis said:

Every year I watch a lot of Aggie baseball, and then transition to the Astros when the college season is over.

And then every year I'm amazed at how many plays like Kessinger's you can see in any MLB game. To me that's the biggest difference in college and pro baseball. That was a great play but really the game situation, and his, made it more special.

Now I do see a lot of very poorly umpired games at the college level. In general MLB umpires are better. But the umps in the last two games were remarkably bad even for NCAA standards.

Really bad bull to eject Altuve. That wasn't a judgement call and Jose was the only person in the stadium to know with 100% life and death certainty that the ball hit his foot. And his many years of good natured demeanor should have brought him some amount of latitude. The baseball gods can be a pretty fickle bunch but to have Kessinger in the game to make the final out, they were saying even they had had enough of these umps.
That's a great point about Altuve. Although all the ass hat fans hate him the other players and umpires know he's VERY respectful of them and wouldn't make up getting hit on the foot.

It's a thin-skinned, ego driven umpire who cannot admit when he's wrong...those types should not be anywhere near a professional sports game where their calls can alter the outcome of a game.
Wabs
AG
I do appreciate the effort the team has shown the past couple of months. We basically took over the division lead without MVP-caliber Tucker. Starting pitching has been very solid despite some shaky starts sprinkled in. Bringing Neris back has been huge. My only issue, and I feel like it will really hurt in the playoffs, is we didn't add any offense whatsoever before the trade deadline. Not even a RH bat to platoon with Singleton at 1B.
Red Five
AG
McInnis said:

I don't know how you would ever have a scenario where any player takes off a shoe and sock like that and he doesn't get ejected. It's 100% done to show up the umpire. He might have deserved it, but you're going to get run no matter what. It's like a player drawing a line in the dirt to show where the pitch was. Automatic ejection every time. I doubt Jose had any illusions about whether that was his last appearance in that game when he took his shoe off.
First Page Last Page
Page 1707 of 1720

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.