***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,219,105 Views | 59160 Replies | Last: 37 min ago by wangus12
Honolulu Blue
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm sure this has been posted but I was unaware. Last 30 days, Yanier with a .998 OPS.

Really only one bad month, which was Abreu level bad. Otherwise solid to elite!
John 6 22:59 The Bread of Life Discourse
linkdude
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
AustinCountyAg
I really want to see Dezenzo get more AB's this next series. Let him get his feet wet in the outfield. If their was ever a series (on paper) to do it. Against the White Sox would be it.
iamtheglove
texasaggie2015 said:

iamtheglove said:

I remember when we traded for Yainer, 2015 told us the rap on him was that he didn't really love baseball or work at it, and thus why we could get such a high ceiling prospect for Straw. If accurate, it seems he has really done a 180. Kid is getting it done and having fun.
Not what I said at all really.

He didn't like catching or want to catch full time and there were serious doubts about whether he would put in the work to be a big league catcher. He also had some attitude problems that probably had to do with age and lack of maturity. He butted heads with coaches a lot.

He also had a lot of pop but a big hole in his swing.

Needless to say someone in Houston got through to him. I'm really happy for Yainer and the sky is seemingly the limit for him.
Seems pretty close to what you said, but thanks for pointing out it was really about catching. In any case, it has been great to see him perform as such a high level.
HomeFinderCody
Sponsor
AG
I asked as part of another post, but thought it deserved its own post.....anyone know why Whitley hasn't been called up? Seems like a good arm to try in the pen, but it's probably me just hoping we get something out of him before he's 40...lol.
Sponsor Message: Need real estate help in North Texas? Click Here to Save $500
Ag_07
AG
Not really a spot for him right now.

With the starters performing well the BP is in really good shape and they're not playing the call up the next fresh arm game.
AustinCountyAg
Ag_07 said:

With the starters performing well the BP is in really good shape and they're not playing the call up the next fresh arm game.
this. no need to bring him up at this time. Let him pitch every three or four days in AAA, and save his arm for the final push next month.
AggiEE
Ag_07 said:

Ferguson is ass and needs to be DFA

Why is A. Diaz even on the team other than insurance?
All I do is Nguyen
Breggy Popup
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Booma94
AG
Honolulu Blue said:

I'm sure this has been posted but I was unaware. Last 30 days, Yanier with a .998 OPS.

Really only one bad month, which was Abreu level bad. Otherwise solid to elite!

I'm old enough to remember when people on this thread were saying trading Cory Lee was a mistake and that he was better than Yainer...

iBrad
AG
linkdude said:

Kuchi makes everything better.
txags92
AG
Those 2 really are in Abreu territory with those OPS #s. Hard to believe we don't have anybody in the minors worth giving a shot that might do better than that.
BadAggie
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

BadAggie
AG
iBrad said:

linkdude said:

Kuchi makes everything better.

Bag
AG
so, wait, yordan pulled a roy hobbs and broke the tropicana scoreboard in bp?
Booma94
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

He didn't like catching or want to catch full time and there were serious doubts about whether he would put in the work to be a big league catcher. He also had some attitude problems that probably had to do with age and lack of maturity. He butted heads with coaches a lot.

Needless to say someone in Houston got through to him. I'm really happy for Yainer and the sky is seemingly the limit for him.
It was Dusty, wasn't it. That's why he sat more than he played last season. See Dusty was right- some day we'll thank him for how he handled Yainer.

I stand by my contention that trading Straw for Maton and Yainer was a Yordan level heist that doesn't get nearly enough attention...
Prosperdick
AG
I know I took Chas at the beginning of the season but I've got nothing except:
Prosperdick
AG
Booma94 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

It was Dusty, wasn't it. That's why he sat more than he played last season. See Dusty was right- some day we'll thank him for how he handled Yainer.

I stand by my contention that trading Straw for Maton and Yainer was a Yordan level heist that doesn't get nearly enough attention...
If Maton had turned into a stud closer I could see your point but I think Yordan level is a bit much. Now if Yainer turns into Johnny Bench we can talk. I hope the hell he does.
Bag
AG
so, our 7-8-9 hitters are all OFers?

thats insane
iBrad
AG
redline248 said:

Chas and Dubon are neck and neck for who sucks the most in August. It's pretty amazing, really. Just enough to keep the attention off Jake Meyers.

In fairness, Jake was our opening day nine-hole hitter and Dubon is a utility guy. We were expecting a hell of a lot more from Chas, though.

Back to Jake, he needs to get the strikeouts under control. Overall, he's just abysmal with two strikes. It's like he has a fear of striking out, so once he gets two strikes, he panics and ends up striking out anyway.
R-Dog
AG
Almost 40% strikeout rate in the last 11 games? That's absurdly bad.

They ought to make Meyers get to the ballpark at like 8 AM every day and just stand in the batters box without a bat while they throw him about 1000 sliders. He's got to learn to recognize that pitch...most of the ones he is swinging at, he couldn't hit with a boat paddle

He's literally Pedro Cerrano. Straight ball, I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.

Ag_07
AG
At least Jake tattoos the ball when he does hit it.

Chas either flails at it for the K or rolls over on it and hits a weak ground ball.
cc10106
ISO vintage '22 version Chasmanian Devil opposite field blast

(that's prob asking a lot at this point)
EastCoastAgNc
AG

He ain't coming back this year Dana
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Dana smoked the weed this morning
Bag
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

is this true?
Beau Holder
AG
That's what we all said when he said we were too good to become sellers and we just had to hit our win streak and he got Kikuchi, to be fair.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Bag said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

is this true?
It's not official, but watching the videos someone had of him doing "activity", you would see more agility and range at your local senior center. He's still in pretty rough shape.
BadAggie
AG
Beau Holder said:

That's what we all said when he said we were too good to become sellers and we just had to hit our win streak and he got Kikuchi, to be fair.

Dana rn

'Keep hatin, fans'

MAROON
AG
HomeFinderCody said:

I asked as part of another post, but thought it deserved its own post.....anyone know why Whitley hasn't been called up? Seems like a good arm to try in the pen, but it's probably me just hoping we get something out of him before he's 40...lol.
he hasn't given up a run in his last 18 innings of work. Struck out all three batters he faced last night. That's encouraging. Sure seems like he could be a nice bull pen addition in September
HomeFinderCody
Sponsor
AG
MAROON said:

HomeFinderCody said:

he hasn't given up a run in his last 18 innings of work. Struck out all three batters he faced last night. That's encouraging. Sure seems like he could be a nice bull pen addition in September
Kind of my thoughts as well. Ferguson is not good. There's your spot.
Sponsor Message: Need real estate help in North Texas? Click Here to Save $500
Booma94
AG
MAROON said:

HomeFinderCody said:

I mean, those aren't exactly Ryan Pressly numbers, but maybe they could find a spot for him somewhere...
Farmer1906
AG
Don't look now but Breggy is up to 3.2 WAR (5th in baseball for 3B) and 117 wRC+ (9th). Since June 1st he's 3rd in WAR and 2nd in wRC+.
First Page Last Page
Page 1377 of 1691

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.