***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,200,266 Views | 58876 Replies | Last: 9 min ago by EastCoastAgNc
texasaggie2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gameday: Woodpeckers 1, Wood Ducks 2 Final Score (07/23/2024) (milb.com)

Anderson Brito with 7 K's in 3.1 innings last night. He's moved from the DSL to FCL to Fayetteville in under a month. Just turned 20 years old. Not a bad stat line this year:

Anderson Brito Stats, Age, Position, Height, Weight, Fantasy & News | MiLB.com
EastCoastAgNc
AG
W
AG
that's a good point about Altuve...and to be fair to Bregman...

Altuve has only walked 2 times in 69 plate appearances in July

the 2 guys batting in front of Yordan are not interested in taking walks

not ideal
MaxPower
Altuve swings at everything but I do wonder if it's teams trying to avoid walking guys before Yordan. Tucker would help in that regard.
Bobcat-Ag
Pena has a slightly better OBP than Bregman and has some speed. I'm still not sure I would make that switch, but it's something to think about.

Not much else better at this point.
Mathguy64
AG
As a team, we rank tied for 28th in BB% at 7.1%. Only the CWS (7.1%) and Miami (6%) are worse.
MaxPower
Bobcat-Ag said:

Pena has a slightly better OBP than Bregman and has some speed. I'm still not sure I would make that switch, but it's something to think about.

Not much else better at this point.
I'd prefer speed is at the bottom of the lineup. You aren't going to risk getting thrown out in front of Yordan anyway. Play more small ball with the bottom of the lineup.
Marvin
AG
The 2024 Astros are last in pitches per plate appearance. This is not anything new, as the team has been a "swing first" offense for a number of years now. But, they are seeing the fewest pitches on average since the 2009 Giants. It's been 15 years since a team was this aggressive, and the league average has risen since then (meaning it's probably been longer, on balance).

The Astros are still above average in most offensive categories, but OPS fell off a cliff in July (a putrid .690 for the month). The season OPS is .842 in wins and .622 in losses, which speaks to the impact of their green light plate mentality.

TLDR- obvious, but the team really needs Tuck and a 1B bat given the pitching realities.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Not exactly what he said, made it sound like bullpen would be an add on but didn't seem too intent on it
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Maybe Chandler reads this thread
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Maybe Chandler reads this thread
Given how much it would cost, what would be a realistic return to Tampa to get him?
texasaggie2015
AG
A lot.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

A lot.
I was hoping for a little more precise answer
Mathguy64
AG
Marvin said:

The 2024 Astros are last in pitches per plate appearance. This is not anything new, as the team has been a "swing first" offense for a number of years now. But, they are seeing the fewest pitches on average since the 2009 Giants. It's been 15 years since a team was this aggressive, and the league average has risen since then (meaning it's probably been longer, on balance).

The Astros are still above average in most offensive categories, but OPS fell off a cliff in July (a putrid .690 for the month). The season OPS is .842 in wins and .622 in losses, which speaks to the impact of their green light plate mentality.

TLDR- obvious, but the team really needs Tuck and a 1B bat given the pitching realities.

It's a weird profile.

Pitches seen - 29th

So we swing early and often.

Zone swing % - T5
Zone contact - 1st

Great. We know what good pitches are and swing at them and make contact with them.

Chase % - 2nd
Chase contact - 6th

Bad. We swing at things outside the zone too.

1st pitch swing %- 2nd
Swing % - T4

We swing at pretty much everything from the minute we step in the box.

This team works on the old adage that you don't walk off the island.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Dana said he'd be really disappointed if it took til September to get him back
EastCoastAgNc
AG
txags92
AG
MaxPower said:

Altuve swings at everything but I do wonder if it's teams trying to avoid walking guys before Yordan. Tucker would help in that regard.
I don't think you can talk about the lack of walks for Altuve and Bregman without also talking about the insane number of balls outside the zone that are called strikes early in their at bats. It changes the whole at bat, because then they have to swing at everything out there because they have no assurance that it won't be called a strike. I would love to see the umpire scorecards guys break it down to the player level and show us which players get the worst calls from the umps. I would bet Bregman and Altuve would be at or near the top of the list.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Going through MLB trade simulator and the proposed trades people put up there are interesting...
EastCoastAgNc
AG

EastCoastAgNc
AG
Here's one for Parades...Holy crap
EastCoastAgNc
AG
How about some 3 team trades
EastCoastAgNc
AG
https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/trades?q=Astros&page=1
In case anyone wants to look
Marvin
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Here's one for Parades...Holy crap

I'd make that deal, not factoring in payroll cost. I don't expect much from anyone except Matthews, and he won't help during this run.
Mathguy64
AG
Why would we fascilitate Baltimore getting Crochet and Robert?
texasaggie2015
AG
Oof.. yeah I don't think I would. That may be close to what it would cost though.

Dana loves Bloss and Baez has legit big time upside. That's just a little too steep for me personally.

I know Tampa likes Chas quite a bit. I'm sure he would be involved in any deal involving the Rays.
Marvin
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Oof.. yeah I don't think I would. That may be close to what it would cost though.

Dana loves Bloss and Baez has legit big time upside. That's just a little too steep for me personally.

I know Tampa likes Chas quite a bit. I'm sure he would be involved in any deal involving the Rays.

I get it. I'm basing my opinion on going all-in this year and next, and then being in full blown rebuild mode in a couple of years. Not my money, though!
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

According to the sim, Chas has a player value of 9.2. He could easily replace one of the higher value players there and still make the math work. They have 1 trade that involves sending Michael Knorr and Chas to the Rays for Brandon Lowe.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Marvin said:

texasaggie2015 said:

I get it. I'm basing my opinion on going all-in this year and next, and then being in full blown rebuild mode in a couple of years. Not my money, though!

I personally have zero interest at n anything that requires full rebuild mode. Because I don't believe there is such a thing without the way we and the Orioles did it, multiple years of dead last and stacking high 1-3 draft picks and then waiting for them to all mature

We did that once. Now it's just maintain as best as possible and hope for another one or two years where we can catch fire like the rangers last year and win a few more pennants.

I do not ever want to go back to the full rebuild again, I paid that penance and my fandom will not survive it a second time
EastCoastAgNc
AG
This is interesting
txags92
AG
That looks interesting. Re the other trades, I would not be giving up Mathews in any trade that didn't involve the Astros getting a bona fide star in return. I want to see how Mathews develops before I trade him away as just another expendable prospect.
First Page Last Page
Page 1154 of 1683

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.