***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,196,681 Views | 58862 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by bearkatag15
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dodgers looking to go BIG

Cards looking at a more affordable upgrade

monarch
S
Interesting view there...
Peace for Ukraine!
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015
AG
Also, when did I ever say that Dana Brown doesn't like Joey?

That's completely false. I said he wasn't as high on him long term as some of the fans seem to be. I never said he didn't like him.
Prosperdick
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Another great one!
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

That's completely false. I said he wasn't as high on him long term as some of the fans seem to be. I never said he didn't like him.

He's quite good defensively, but offensively he's come back to earth. The strikeout problem is real. Hopefully that's something that can be fixed
wangus12
AG
BadAggie said:

Aannnndddd it's gone
Prosperdick
AG
wangus12 said:

BadAggie said:

Aannnndddd it's gone
Mathguy64
AG
Traitor's surrender cobra is the cherry on top of that bit of art.
MaxPower
EastCoastAgNc said:

texasaggie2015 said:

He's quite good defensively, but offensively he's come back to earth. The strikeout problem is real. Hopefully that's something that can be fixed
Its either that or he needs to go all in and at least have the power from AAA. Sometimes I think guys lose their power when focusing on contact more. He will never be perfect but high k, low slugging is a bad combo.
All I do is Nguyen
Hornbeck
AG
In other news, Jose Abreu is sitting at home, still doing nothing, and still getting paid.
linkdude
AG
And I want him to get a ring for this year, dammt
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ag4life80
AG
Hornbeck said:

In other news, Jose Abreu is sitting at home, still doing nothing, and still getting paid.
Which is where he has been the most productive for the Astros this season. So, there's that.......
Mathguy64
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

The flip side of this is Bryan Abreu and Josh Hader have a crap ton of counting stats because they have been used a crap ton.
Mathguy64
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

I can't be the only one watching this thinking "why is that man carrying Kuato on Earth instead of Mars?"
W
AG
this is true

numerous Astros pitchers are going to hit career highs in appearances, innings, etc.., by August or September
W
AG
Hornbeck said:

and thankfully not costing the Astros games anymore
redline248
AG
So, in general how does a team limit appearances and innings? Carry more pitchers?

Does Houston have that luxury with all the injuries?
W
AG
the Dodgers (and Padres) have the magical ability to convince opposing teams...

that all their prospects are future hall of famers
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015
AG
Those two teams have been in a lot of contact recently
Mathguy64
AG
redline248 said:

So, in general how does a team limit appearances and innings? Carry more pitchers?

Does Houston have that luxury with all the injuries?

It would help if we had starters going deeper. All the injuries to the SP have forced a ton of starts on guys who can't go past 4 or 5 IP.

We also need another Abreu.

Ideally I would have a tag team. Montero/Scott, Press and someone, Abreu, Hader. Two sets of 7/8/9 guys instead of 1.

You can change it and shorten the bench in the playoffs. But for now you need a bench rotation.
halfastros81
AG
Well, we did acquire Jordan in a trade with the Dodgers . In that case they may have been inadvertently right because he probably is a future hall of famer.

The Astros have been better at projecting player potential than most over the past 8-10 yrs. The Astros are also pretty good at realizing every player doesn't have to be a splashy 5 tool guy to help the team win titles .
Beau Holder
AG
Montero taking up a spot and $11M to be completely untrustworthy is doing a lot to inhibit our options set.
MaxPower
texasaggie2015 said:

Do you trust our quacks to evaluate their medicals? Always critical with Rays pitchers.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Mathguy64
AG
Beau Holder said:

Montero taking up a spot and $11M to be completely untrustworthy is doing a lot to inhibit our options set.

If you don't trust him to use him he's worthless. This team and pen can't afford to have a guy not throwing and eating innings.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
halfastros81
AG
I'll admit I haven't watched the Rays closely and I don't have a feel for their recent trajectory but they are at .500 and only 11 games back. Doesn't seem like a team that would be ready to bail. Maybe they have financial considerations that are driving them?

Out of their pitchers Taj Bradley kind of sticks out as an acquisition target but he's not likely to be a significant salary dump for them . Eflin ain't all that good and comes with a relatively high salary. 2 yrs remaining at $ 13.33 mm per yr for what is maybe a 2 or 3 starter. Doesn't seem like an Astros type move to me unless they get to unload salary going the other way.

As far as position players , other than maybe Yandy Diaz who might the Astros want ?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
MaxPower said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Do you trust our quacks to evaluate their medicals? Always critical with Rays pitchers.

This x1000. If we are going to trade with them, I hope it's for offense
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

Ryne Stanek: "They call them "Baba Yaga."
Cal Raleigh: "The Boogeyman?"
Ryne Stanek: "Well, the Astros weren't exactly the Boogeyman. They were the one you sent to kill the frickin' Boogeyman."
Cal Raleigh: "Oh."
Ryne Stanek: "The Astros are a team of focus, commitment, sheer will... something you know very little about."
First Page Last Page
Page 1130 of 1682

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.