***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,081,522 Views | 57024 Replies | Last: 48 sec ago by All I do is Nguyen
Ciboag96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
When does that ump scorecard come out.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Usually around noon
Mose Schrute
AG
Breggy Popup said:

The defense should play it out. Just like batters should hustle to first because you never know.

I don't think umpires give up on the play. I think runners losing the bag after contact happens far less than you'd imagine. But, here is a real life example of your hypothetical.

Happened to Trey Turner in 2018 on a Bryce Harper walk also but I cannot find a video of it.

This is a great example of what could happen with the defense playing it out. My problem with it is that he doesn't come off the bag if not for the SS trying to tag him and move him out of the way, while his path to 2B should be unencumbered.

For example, you couldn't block the hitter from advancing to 1B with the hopes that he goes around you (into the baseline) and then you tag him.

I think umps made right call according to the rules in that MSU game you linked, but maybe MLB / NCAA should take a close look at that rule..?
Proudag06
AG
Mose Schrute said:

Breggy Popup said:

The defense should play it out. Just like batters should hustle to first because you never know.

I don't think umpires give up on the play. I think runners losing the bag after contact happens far less than you'd imagine. But, here is a real life example of your hypothetical.

Happened to Trey Turner in 2018 on a Bryce Harper walk also but I cannot find a video of it.

This is a great example of what could happen with the defense playing it out. My problem with it is that he doesn't come off the bag if not for the SS trying to tag him and move him out of the way, while his path to 2B should be unencumbered.

For example, you couldn't block the hitter from advancing to 1B with the hopes that he goes around you (into the baseline) and then you tag him.

I think umps made right call according to the rules in that MSU game you linked, but maybe MLB / NCAA should take a close look at that rule..?

Disagree. Shortstop did not block the bag and not the same as 1B blocking bag on a walk because you don't have time to wait for the ball call and know it's a walk before you defend the steal. He didn't cause him to come off the bag.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Mose Schrute said:

Breggy Popup said:

I've rambled on this before, but this reminds me of the greatest prep HS baseball and softball coaches I knew as a writer who would drill mental discipline into their teams so hard that they knew precisely what to look for in situations like that - like it was ingrained into them about what you when someone's off the bag, when the pitcher looks away from you, when the OF doesn't hustle to pick up a single, etc. Obviously, professionals are not as inclined to make that many mistakes, but there are at least 1-2 instances a game where guys are specifically not hustling and you can get over on them if you're reallly focused.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Following the Marwin Gonzalez path
Mathguy64
AG
Yeah, that's an insurance policy in case of a nuclear meltdown.

He only played 12 games for the A's but was slashing a Captain Lou like .103/.133/.103. There is absolutely no place for him in the lineup unless you consider him an upgrade over Kessinger. And we all know how many ABs Grae is getting.
BCEDAg
AG
Astros are tied with the Mariners in the all important loss column. Seattle has played two games more than the Stros. Seattle might blow another huge division lead like they did last year so how long would they keep Servais at the helm if that happens?
BadAggie
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

BadAggie
AG
BCEDAg said:

Astros are tied with the Mariners in the all important loss column. Seattle has played two games more than the Stros. Seattle might blow another huge division lead like they did last year so how long would they keep Servais at the helm if that happens?

I hope they keep him there forever

Ag_07
AG
I'll take Aledmys over Grae all day and twice on Sunday.
BCEDAg
AG
BadAggie said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

I was hoping they would sign Aleydmas - a fresh start with old friends and a rejuvenated playoff contending team should reenergize him.

EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ag_07 said:

I'll take Aledmys over Grae all day and twice on Sunday.

Grae does nothing other than play in blowouts. When carantini comes back, that should be the end of grae's time and they should carry 3 catchers. Salazar has proven he's capable of good at bats
Prosperdick
AG
BadAggie said:

BCEDAg said:

Exactly, they might mess around and hire an actually competent manager.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Prosperdick said:

BadAggie said:

BCEDAg said:

Exactly, they might mess around and hire an actually competent manager.

Dipoto's 54% comments last year were pretty telling about their organizational philosophy
SpaceCityAg05
AG
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
BadAggie
AG
What are the seven ways a batter can make it safely to first base?
Mathguy64
AG
BadAggie said:

Hit, error, walk, CI, dropped third strike, FC, HPB.

What do I win?
SpaceCityAg05
AG
Hit
BB
HBP
FC
RE
K, WP/PB
CI
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
BadAggie said:

Hit
Walk
Hbp
Catchers interference
Error
Fielders choice
First on wild pitch strike three swinging
EastCoastAgNc
AG
BadAggie
AG
Mathguy64 said:

BadAggie said:

What do I win?

The bluest star there ever was.
BadAggie
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

'I;m just here so I don't get fined.'
Mathguy64
AG
BadAggie said:

Mathguy64 said:

BadAggie said:

What do I win?

The bluest star there ever was.

I was expecting bouncing Dillion Harper tatas.
redline248
AG
The only thing Kessinger offers over Aledmys is he's cheap, right?
linkdude
AG
Prosperdick
AG
Random thought, I wonder how many times pitchers face off who both have last name's that end in "i."
Mr.Bond
AG

Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

JDUB08AG
AG
Prosperdick said:

Random thought, I wonder how many times pitchers face off who both have last name's that end in "i."

That's a Wally Holland stat right there
Prosperdick
AG
linkdude said:

But don't forget, our farm system is dead last and sucks. One of the problems is the big league team keeps raiding it with instant impact hitters and pitchers. It's quite the conumdrum.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
The Porkchop Express
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Amazing clip, somewhat spoiled by Lenny dykstra looking like a feral simian attempting to walk upright.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 1086 of 1630

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.