What's Your Rangers History?

4,481 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by Texker
Texker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've enjoyed listening/watching/reading stories of fans sharing their history with the Rangers. As such, I'm working on my reflection and will share soon. In the meantime, what's yours?
Juan Solo
AG
My first year of tee ball we wore Texas rangers gear and I dressed up as Nolan Ryan for a book report in elementary. Haven't worn rangers gear ever since.
South Platte
Don't remember the exact year, but it was early 80's. Mickey Rivers, Hostetler, Parrish.

And you aren't an OG Rangers fan unless you tried to mimic Pete O'Brien's pre-pitch hitting routine in your backyard.
tk for tu juan
Juan Gonzalez's or Julio Franco's batting stances were the most mimicked when playing a pick up game as a kid
South Platte
tk for tu juan said:

Juan Gonzalez's or Julio Franco's batting stances were the most mimicked when playing a pick up game as a kid

Franco. Absolutely. My favorite player growing up was Ruben Sierra. I loved his home run trot. He slow-jogged it like an old man whose feet hurt but the low-key swag was there.
Proposition Joe
Grew up going to games as a kid - Dad would always have tickets from the bank he worked at that would go unused because, well, it was the Rangers.

Though I can't remember much about the actual games other than ice cream in a helmet and when the San Diego Chicken came to town.

Remember more listening to games on the radio at night with my dad and waiting for Incaviglia (Inky) or Larry Parish to "hit a tater".

Then in the early 90's we owned a baseball card shop in Fort Worth, so we routinely had Nolan Ryan, Ruben Sierra and a few other Rangers around for autograph signings and what-not.

In later life it actually became my Mom that was a Rangers fan more than my Dad. She'd have the game on every night long after my Dad went to bed. More than myself, I wanted them to see a title. I had them there in 2010 and again in 2011, but nice they finally got to see a World Series team in 2023 (though me being overly critical even of myself, I regret having my brother-in-law at WS Game 1 and my parents at WS Game 2 and not vice versa so they could have been there for the magic of Game 1).

I don't watch a lot of television outside the big great dramas (Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, etc...). So baseball is my background noise from April->October.
GrapevineAg
AG
Dad took me to my first Rangers game in about 1976. We saw them play Yaz and the BoSox. Sundberg was my favorite player. I remember seeing Yount and Molitor with the Brewers, and later Fisk with the ChiSox. I was a Jr. Texas Ranger '76-'78. In the '80s, I saw Cecil Fielder hit a ball out of the stadium - that was pretty cool.

When I left Houston to return to DFW in '95, I had an apartment a block off ballpark way. When I started dating the girl I would later marry, we went to many games in the '96 season - also the first year they made the playoffs. We camped out in a tent to buy tickets. We were there when Beltre hit for the cycle the last time. She was at the Robin Ventura game.

All in all, I have a lot of good memories at all 3 stadiums. Even when they lost, a bad day at the ballpark was better than a good day at the office.
petebaker

Of course this fool hit a dagger home run on us at the ballpark that year
Cappo
AG
I was at one of the playoff games in 90s with the stupid streaker that got on the field and thought it was hilarious being a young kid
chick79
AG
I went to the very first game in April 1972 when Dick Bosman beat the California Angels. I was 15 at the time. So I've been waiting more than my entire adult life for the Rangers to finally
win the World Series.

On a side note I've been to ten Ranger home playoff games over the years and I'm 0-10 including game two of this years World Series.
chick79
AG
chick79
AG
Dp
_lefraud_
AG
First ever game was a rainout vs the Bluejays in 1993.

My favorite memory was getting Juan-Gone's autograph at the last game before the allstar break in 1998. He hit two homers off Randy Johnson (4 RBI) which gave Juan 101 RBI at the break on his way to MVP.

I just looked and Johnson went 8IP, 8 earned and 12 strikeouts.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Born in '74. Been a fan essentially since birth. We lived in Plano but would mix in a few games a year. Back then we'd go to Sears where they sold tickets. I remember standing at the counter with my mom looking at the laminated seating chart, then literally counting down the days until we got to go.

When I was preschool age, I was apparently playing a pretend game with my glove and plastic bat in the aisle. Usher apparently gave me a foul ball. I don't remember it, but my parents remind me occasionally. When I got older, I'd harass my dad to get us there before BP was over so I could catch homers

I still have a full size wooden bat from bat day in the mid-80s. It's painted red and had Gary Ward's "signature"

WestTexasAg
AG
Grew up a Ranger fan. Started following them in the early 80's. I was fortunate enough to have an aunt that gave us tickets to a series every summer. She worked for a prominent oil & gas attorney, and he had great seats. She got them for an entire series each summer, and I got to go to a few games each summer from the time I was like 12 years old all the way through college. Sat right behind George Bush Jr., Nolan Ryan's family, etc. It was awesome!

Buddy Bell, Pete O'Brien, Larry Parrish were some of my early favorites. Then guys like Ruben Sierra, Pete Incaviglia, and Bobby Witt. Nolan Ryan is my all time favorite athlete.

The 90's playoff teams were fun to watch. The 2010 World Series was satisfying even though we lost. The 2011 World Series was my most brutal sports memory.

I have watched about 80% of all of the games since the Rangers being on tv almost every night became a thing, even through the lean years. This championship feels so damn good!
Hamburger Dan
Grew up in Wichita Falls. Born in late 50's. Had relatives in the Beaumont area.and we had family reunions in that part of Texas. First MLB baseball I saw was Astros in the Astrodome, during those family get togethers. In 1972, Ted Williams and the Rangers moved to DFW. My dad was a Baseball guy and had told me countless times that Ted Williams was greatest hitter of all time. Living 2 hours away we saw quite a few games growing up. Fast forward to the late 80's. I'm married, got two sons and I'm a HS baseball coach. We saw countless Rangers games at the old ballpark. Attended the All Star game at Globe Life Stadium. Saw the good, the bad, and the ugly during those times. . We were lucky to attend games in the 2011-2012 Playoff / World Series years. Still can't understand how Nelson Cruz didn't get into position to make the crucial catch in right field. I'm grown and now live in Lubbock. Retired from 41 years of HS coaching. We've made the drive to Arlington a couple of times to see the new stadium and watch a couple of games. My son ( A & M, class of 2012) is grown, married, and has a two year old son of his own. It was amazing to watch this years team and be a small part of the Rangers family. I promise the two year old will be indoctrinated all Rangers, all the time. We'll keep watching every night, we'll keep making the drive to DFW to continue watching / attending games and being fans of the 2023 World Series Champions, your Texas Rangers!
jograki
AG
So many great memories keeping up with the Rangers all my life. Here are a few:

As a kid in DFW in the 90s, we had a great time with Dallas sports. My dad taught me everything about sports, I would watch any Dallas based team with him often. Money was tight when we were young so we couldn't afford attending a pro game other than the Rangers. It was easy to grab ticket deals for ~$5, so I have great memories going to the Ballpark in Arlington as a family. Later on, our family friends who are like grandparents to me would offer us their season tix in the 2nd deck behind home plate for the hotter games, so we would go out there and bake in the sun, but it was worth it.

In 2011, my brother was able to take leave from the Air Force and come home during the World Series. We were able to enjoy Game 4 with those same family friends that I mentioned before. He helped drive me from TX to NC for a new role, and we listened to all of Game 6 on the radio. We watched Game 7 in NC, didn't get the outcome we wanted, but it was really meaningful that he could be around during that series. I was actually visiting him for Games 1-2 this week so it was awesome to be able to watch those together.

After that, I also lived in Houston and NYC as well, so I would make sure to attend at least one or more of the Rangers games when they played @ Astros, Mets, or Yankees.

The night I met my now husband in 2015, I had my phone on score alerts because we had just jumped into 1st place in the Division the day before. We were playing a 4 game series vs the Astros so I wanted to make sure they could sweep (which we did). As I kept checking my phone, we mostly chatted about sports for a couple hours. Because of that, I thought he was okay so I gave him my number. He grew up a Yankees guy, but I got him rooting for the Rangers too.

I'm sure there are more that I can't think of at this moment. This was such a meaningful win and I'm so glad I was able to see this while my parents, my brother, my family friends, and many other friends that grew up cheering for the Rangers, are all still around.

petebaker
If you look at six flags in the 70s and 80s the Texas Rangers was all about children and family entertainment.

The Rangers probably sponsored every kind of Texas Rangers toys and souvenirs promotion idea there were some cheap beer nights in the early days those days were fun and rowdy (from what I see on youtube wfaa archives) and more adults (and 70s) kids were there probably too anyway

The old stadium I remember was probably behind six flags annex parking lot

Arlington was the city designed to raise children
Texas Rangers promotion also focused on bringing your children and grandchildren to a ball game. After you go to six flags this weekend come see the Rangers, Come see fireworks after every home run and on the Fourth of July
DeangeloVickers
AG
It all began when I went to this game
Chicago White Sox 15 vs Texas Rangers 5
June 2, 1987
It rained most of the game, but I was addicted. Didn't miss many games on HSE! i lived about 2 hours away and we would go a couple times a year.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/TEX/TEX198706020.shtml

birdman
Started going in the late 70s. Team was either inept or one year away. Corbert and Chiles were some of worst owners in sports. Instability and cheapness just killed our chances.

I was at a game and Larry Parrish hit a grand slam to win the game. It was brutally hot. It was his 3rd slam of the week and set a Major League record. When I read about that in newspaper, I thought it was pretty cool that I saw history.

Saw lots of games in the 1980s. Charlie Hough's knuckleball was always fun to watch on television. Nolan Ryan was more fun to see in person.

Listen to Holtz and Nadel for 1,000+ games. Watched HSE when that came around.

Sat just off the batter's eye in centerfield for the playoff game in 2010 when we finally slayed the dragon. Beat the Yankees and made it to our first World Series. What an absolute thrill.

And I lived long enough to see them win the World Series. AWESOME.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
_lefraud_ said:

First ever game was a rainout vs the Bluejays in 1993.

My favorite memory was getting Juan-Gone's autograph at the last game before the allstar break in 1998. He hit two homers off Randy Johnson (4 RBI) which gave Juan 101 RBI at the break on his way to MVP.

I just looked and Johnson went 8IP, 8 earned and 12 strikeouts.

Did Nolan Ryan start the game and get shelled? Only for the game to be called in the 2nd or 3rd inning?

If so, I was at that game. I had just graduated from high school and was working in Denton that summer and my youth pastor and preacher came and picked me up to go to a ball game. They knew an usher who got us down in the front row down the right field line, right by the bullpen. Nolan was warming up 20 feet away, it was great.

Like I said, Nolan got hit pretty hard that night and I think he got pulled early. The sky opened up and they called the game. I think they played a DH the next day.

That is the only game I got to see Nolan Ryan pitch in person and it wasn't an official game.
Double Talkin' Jive...
ElephantRider
AG
Born in 1991 and grew up in East Texas (not too far from Tyler). Parents and grandparents were big fans and took me to a few games at Arlington Stadium that I obviously don't remember, and I was at one of the first few games at the Ballpark. We went a lot in the late 90s, and I was obsessed with those teams. I played 2B and McLemore was my favorite player, followed by Pudge and Rusty. We stopped going as much in the 2000s because tickets got "too expensive" but watched as many as we could on tv. My grandma is the biggest fan I've ever met, so I'm really glad she got to see this.

I was at A&M during the 2010 and 2011 runs, which were a lot of fun until they weren't. Some may have been waiting longer, but I've been waiting my whole life.
rocky_ag
AG
Born in the late 90's, grew up in the mid-2000s watching and going to games. Tex was my favorite player and I was heartbroken when he was traded. Even still, was more just casually interested as a kid until the later 2000s. I still remember the exact moment I became a diehard fan.

June 14, 2009 - the Rangers were playing the Dodgers. It was a day game. Had tickets a few rows behind the Dodgers dugout. It was brutally hot. A young rookie named Derek Holland was making his fourth ever start.

The moment that hooked me was when Andruw Jones hit a homerun to left field. The crowd erupted. The music played. Fireworks went off. For the first time, the adrenaline and excitement of the moment raced through my body and I was hooked. I have watched as many games as possible since.
caleblyn
First MLB game was Nolan's last home game.

Hooked ever since! Not just Rangers, even though they are my team, but all of MLB. My son collects baseballs for all the parks we have visited. We still have a long way to go, but we highly enjoy it!
Chapa96
AG
Sophomore in HS. Still in great condition.
Texker
AG
Sadly, my Dad didn't like baseball so I was 10 before I attended my first game in '74 with my team(Expos). Think I still have the tix stub. Ironically, it was a giveaway night (blue ponchos) and we'd need them. I turned to soccer, but still followed the team and went to a game here and there on the invite of friends.

Fast forward to '86. After Ag graduation, I worked for a small company that had season tix. If the execs weren't using the tix they would announce it and you could submit your name in a drawing. I did. Well, as luck would have it, one of my co-workers did as well, so we went to a ton of games together. Eventually, no body else submitted their names but me and her so they just gave them to us. 3B side about 10 rows up from the dugout. Casual at first, but 35+ years and 2 kids later I think it's serious. More to come.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Texker said:

Sadly, my Dad didn't like baseball so I was 10 before I attended my first game in '74 with my team(Expos). Think I still have the tix stub. Ironically, it was a giveaway night (blue ponchos) and we'd need them. I turned to soccer, but still followed the team and went to a game here and there on the invite of friends.

Fast forward to '86. After Ag graduation, I worked for a small company that had season tix. If the execs weren't using the tix they would announce it and you could submit your name in a drawing. I did. Well, as luck would have it, one of my co-workers did as well, so we went to a ton of games together. Eventually, no body else submitted their names but me and her so they just gave them to us. 3B side about 10 rows up from the dugout. Casual at first, but 35+ years and 2 kids later I think it's serious. More to come.

This is a great story. Let us know how the relationship goes. Good luck!
Double Talkin' Jive...
Texker
AG
I shared your comment with her. Great laugh.
jograki
AG
Texker said:

I love this. Hope it works out!
Texker
AG
jograki said:

Texker said:

I love this. Hope it works out!
We have a chance. The back half of the story is coming soon.
C1NRB
AG
I was 2 when the Rangers came to Arlington.
We would go to a game two or three times a year. Anybody remember Bat Night?
When I was in high school, I was going a bookshelf and came across a program my Dad, who never spent money at the ballpark, had keep score. Nolan Ryan was pitching for the Angels.
I was at the game where Wilson Alvarez got nobody out.
I was at the game when Ryan got his 5,000th strike out with by best friend growing up. One section away was my wife with her best friend. We met a year and a half later.
My wife and I were at Opening Day at The Ballpark in Arlington.
Good, bad, or otherwise I was late for the 2011 unmentionable Game 6, so my family Tivo'ed it for me. We caught up in the bottom of the 8th and watched "the horror."
Finally. Your Texas Rangers are World Series Champions.
Funktown12
AG
I've been a Ranger fan since day 1. My parents were season ticket holders for 30 plus years (until the move to to Globe Life Field). I was very fortunate to grow up going to several games a year. From the old stadium as a very young child, to the ballpark, to games at the new the stadium. The Rangers have always been a huge part of my life.
Some of the memories that come to mind:

In high school my friend jokingly asked Josh Hamilton for a dip while he was on deck and he preceded to chat us up until he went to bat and got a hit "for us"

Sitting in my grandparents seats when I was around 8 (behind camera well, between visitors dugout and on deck circle) A lefty was up and my Dad said he got a feeling that he knew a ball was going to come our way and for us to be ready. Sure enough one of the next few pitches a fastball that was lined right for us. Our neighbor (he was around 15) had a glove and stuck it right in front of my face and it bounced off his glove into the camera well. He may have saved my life and for sure my face. Now they have nets for situations like that.
Side note: in these same seats I remember Lou Piniella saying "you Texans don't know s*** about baseball"

My favorite Ranger memory was seeing Neftali Feliz strike out A-Rod to go to the World Series. Celebrating with family and long time season ticket holders (and friends) around us was the absolute best!

I will cherish all the great Ranger games I got to witness and a lot bad ones too haha! From Opening Day at the Ballpark to the All Star Game in 95. To playoff games in the late 90's to striking A-Rod out to go to the World Series. To the World Series games against the Giants and Cardinals. Being there for Odor punching Bautista. Now to finally see our Rangers win a World Series it is so gratifying and a lifelong dream!
Sorry for the long post
ElephantRider
AG
Chapa96 said:

Sophomore in HS. Still in great condition.

I've got a 1996 one in a box somewhere. Need to find it.
Texker
AG
Here we go. So the oldest was a surprise. Birth control is not 100%. Thank you God for knowing what I didn't know.. '98 and gotta choose a name. 1 call and we're both saying Reese after Jimmie Reese. We brought him out at every opportunity when the ballpark was being built. We attended the first game and the last game and countless games in between at the BPA. Thankfully, Reese was home(Navy Sub Nav) to go to the the final home game. He insisted on buying the tix. Grandson was about 18 months. One of the greatest days in my life. Baseball.

nai06
AG
Must have been the 87 or 88 season that I have my first memories of going to the old Turnpike Stadium. I loved the sound of the crowd when Steve Buechele would step up to the plate. That aside, it was a toss up for my favorite player, Ruben Sierra or Geno Petralli.

I remember driving by the new ballpark construction every couple of weeks with my dad just so we could take picture of the progress. When they finally closed the old ball park, we were able to buy one of our season tickets seats and got it signed by Nolan Ryan. Its still sitting up in my parents attic though I feel like I should figure out a way to mount and display it.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.