*****Official 2023-2024 Texas Rangers Off-season Thread*****

317,525 Views | 3663 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hopefully the '24 guarantee is between their numbers with the ability to earn more than his number in '24, based on numbers (GP, etc). It protects the Rangers while still allowing him to exceed.

I think the most important part is that the Rangers don't have to tell him the bad stuff he already knows.
cmiller00
AG
Glad they got it done for both sides. Figured they were working out something multi-year. Want to say the last guy they took to arbitration was Lee Stephens or something.
fc2112
MrCoachEricTaylor
fc2112 said:

My stomach just dropped reading Josh Smith lol
DallasAg 94
Wow... just saw the numbers on Adolis... $4.75M in '24, $9.25M in 2025. That's the guanteed numbers... Another $6.25M to be had based on things like MVP votes.

Weird they were $5M and $6.9M... he isn't getting what they even offered.

I wonder if this makes it back loaded and helps on CBT?!
CowtownAg06
AG
It does. He will also still have one arb year left.
DallasAg 94
Still waiting to see how the Blake Snell - Jordan Montgomery sweepstakes play out.

Mr Gigem
AG
Rangers are signing both and will defer their salaries until 2050. At which you will own the team and have to foot the bill. Congratulations.
DallasAg 94
I'm starting with the small investment this season... I will plan to buy some lottery txts.
Grapesoda2525
MrCoachEricTaylor said:

fc2112 said:

My stomach just dropped reading Josh Smith lol
So they released Jeff bannisters son.
cmiller00
AG
"Realistically, my target to having a digital package I can take to market would be for the '25 season," Manfred said at the conclusion of an owners meeting outside Orlando

Says need 14 teams and growing to make viable.
Grapesoda2525
5 days until baseball is back.

I think the rangers Bally crap is supposed to be resolved today in court finally. Right?

Evan grant seems adamant that the rangers aren't signing Monty, but I think the longer it goes the better it is for the rangers chances.
KT 90
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

5 days until baseball is back.

I think the rangers Bally crap is supposed to be resolved today in court finally. Right?

Evan grant seems adamant that the rangers aren't signing Monty, but I think the longer it goes the better it is for the rangers chances.

Yes, it's supposed to be Friday (today). Here is Evan Grants Q&A where he downplays Montgomery signing with the Rangers several times.

fc2112
Deal with Bally approved by the court

https://www.lonestarball.com/2024/2/9/24067540/bankruptcy-judge-approves-rangers-bally-agreement
Tksymm7
AG
I don't see it happening either. We just have too much money wrapped up in other guys and we HAVE to give chances to some of these young pitchers that we have drafted and developed. I think people can forget just how crucial having home grown pitching (whether they are All-Stars or simply innings eaters) is to sustaining success as a baseball team, and we have sucked in that department for a long time.
DallasAg 94
The confidence of sending Eovaldi and Monty out for 4GS has never been had for the Rangers. There is a clutching to security.

But, as much as I'd like to sign him, I agree... we've gotta see what we have. Gray could be that guy in '24.

I'm all for trading Heaney.

We have a good (not great) 5 for '24: Dunning and Bradford.

For '25, we lose Heaney and Scherzer, but keep Mahle and deGrom w/Gray, Dunning, Bradford, and option for Eovaldi. That's 6, already if we don't add Monty.

If we go deep in '24, Scherzer might want to stay for cheap in '25?!
gigem1223
Bauer at league minimum with incentives makes so much sense for this team.
_lefraud_
AG
I don't disagree, but it feels like all the owners are avoiding him for now. Regardless, if Seager was asked about him, that's all that CY needs to make a decision.
fc2112
To honor his retirement today and his storied Rangers career...

Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
fc2112 said:

I'll never forget that game. One of the single greatest single inning careers for a team of any player ever!
Double Talkin' Jive...
KT 90
AG
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

fc2112 said:

I'll never forget that game. One of the single greatest single inning careers for a team of any player ever!
He has a record that can never be broken, only tied. Ranger career ERA of 0.00

KT 90
AG
But I remember that game too. Off to a good start in inning one of his Ranger career, and then before long there is a shot of somebody warming up in the bullpen to come in for Kluber. !@#$
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
KT 90 said:

But I remember that game too. Off to a good start in inning one of his Ranger career, and then before long there is a shot of somebody warming up in the bullpen to come in for Kluber. !@#$

I'm still pissed about that trade! This is probably the fourth time I've mentioned it on this thread alone.
Double Talkin' Jive...
MrCoachEricTaylor
Only thing worse than that is Aaron Rodgers and the Jets lol and Rodgers still has time to turn it around
Grapesoda2525
MrCoachEricTaylor said:

Only thing worse than that is Aaron Rodgers and the Jets lol and Rodgers still has time to turn it around
The Brandon McCarthy trade was a massive bust. Seemed like the guy was either hurt or giving up 10 runs per game.
ChipFTAC01
AG
We traded one of dvd for him didn't we?
Grapesoda2525
ChipFTAC01 said:

We traded one of dvd for him didn't we?
Danks
Tksymm7
AG
Worst season by a player for every team since 2000. Just a fun offseason topic. Some truly heinous seasons on here lol.
fc2112
In Luis Mendoza's only full year with the Rangers, he had an ERA of almost 9.

Good God he was bad.
thegoodolag15
AG
It's crazy how similarly the careers of Halladay and Morton played out. Both struggled significantly early before becoming dominant pitchers.
DallasAg 94
Just a few days until P&C report.

Looks like all things are settled now that Adolis is set and DSG/Bally's is resolved.

On the DSG/Bally's... terms have not been released and DSG along with MLB have agreed to not disclose the agreement. I'm assuming that includes the Rangers. 2023, MLB made SDP, et al, whole by filling in the shortfall in the agreement with DSG. I will assume that to be the case for the Rangers, as well.

SO, where are we?!

Payroll:
2024: $221.9M
2023: $228.2M

CBT Payroll:
2024: $243.9M
2023: $252.2M

CBT Threshold:
2024: $237.0M ($6.861M over)
2023: $233.0M ($19.165M over)

CB Tax:
2024: $2,058,500. 2nd Time offender
2023: $3,832,974.

Looking at the numbers, the Rangers made a run financially picking up Scherzer, Monty, et al, at the deadline and it paid off in 2023. I know most on here are fine with whatever happens in 2024 because we won the WS.

CBT continues to escalate as a 3rd time offender and won't reset until you have a year under the CBT. I think that is part of why the NYM told Scherzer they were tearing it down.

If we don't sign Monty (and I don't think we will) we could still get under the tax. We'll see.
Tksymm7
AG
There's some big time names on this list too. Pretty amazing what baseball can do to some of the best.
KT 90
AG
Quote:

CBT continues to escalate as a 3rd time offender and won't reset until you have a year under the CBT. I think that is part of why the NYM told Scherzer they were tearing it down.

How does "under the CBT" part work? If the Mets or whoever is over the CBT all season until July, then they trade off a couple of guys and then are under the CBT. Do they calculate an average over the season to calculate whether you are over or under? Or does it just matter at the end of the season?
fc2112
Happy birthday Vlad Sr.

You only had to get it close.

DallasAg 94
The actual CBT is calculated at the end of the season and it is pro-rated.

Anaheim... LAAA... California... they were "projecting" over the CBT and they dumped a bunch of players hoping other teams would pick them up so that they would finish the season under the CBT. I think they were able to do it.

So, if we traded Heaney ($12.5M CBT) his hit to CBT would be based on GP. That's why I keep bringing him up. I think it could also be impacted by terms of a trade, but not 100%. For example, if we traded Heaney and the acquiring team were to send cash back, I think that could reduce our CBT.

With Gray and Heaney, I have to believe they will be pitching for a spot on the team when Mahle (May?), Scherzer (June?), and deGrom (July?) return.
First Page Last Page
Page 66 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.