*****Official 2023-2024 Texas Rangers Off-season Thread*****

317,941 Views | 3663 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Grapesoda2525
Fuzzy Dunlop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nor when Bregman admired his loud out to Evan Carter in left center field and then Altuve got doubled off 2nd.
Double Talkin' Jive...
Mr Gigem
AG
Mattress Mack just gives off really weird vibes... *shivers*

AgBQ-00
AG

This made me laugh
DallasAg 94
"The Fan" is teasing about a major Rangers announcement on their show at 5:20p (15mins).

I'll listen.
KT 90
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

"The Fan" is teasing about a major Rangers announcement on their show at 5:20p (15mins).

I'll listen.

Mr Gigem
AG
Extending partnership for airing the games on The Fan
DallasAg 94
John Blake on.

Trophy in the house.

Rangers has been engraved on trophy.

Quote:

"Rangers announce multi-year extension to have games on 105.3 'The Fan.'"

Ho hum.

No word if the agreement was enough to sign Monty.

fc2112
As was mentioned earlier, DSG has a hearing tomorrow. Rumors are Rangers may have agreed to $90 MM for next year from DSG. they were owed about $111 MM. This would put the local broadcast uncertainty behind us.
DallasAg 94
Taking it for the team.

Rally Margarita Night.

Tomorrow, the Rangers convince DSG to reach resolution.

Rumors will emerge the Rangers are in advanced discussions with Monty.
Mr Gigem
AG
That meeting is being pushed back to the 19th
DallasAg 94
It worked.
Water Boy
AG
If that Bally meeting is pushed back till the 19th I think we can go ahead and thank Monty for his services for bringing home a championship. I don't see Monty waiting around when multiple other teams are ready to offer 150 million right now. But then again the rangers must have something up their sleeve if they are letting Monty on this long.
Grapesoda2525
Mr Gigem said:

Man….im really crossing my fingers that we don't go the "mark cuban" route after winning a championship. Now I know the championship lineup will still be intact, but I think bringing Monty back is a signal to the team, fan base, and the rest of the league that we're going to compete hard next year.

I feel like with the state of our rotation and the guys who are due back in the second half of the season, it's a move the front office has to make from a competitive perspective.
DallasAg 94
I think it was pushed until the 19th, with the assumption they would continue negotiations and come to a conclusion before then.

At a minimum, they will have narrowed the gap and have some level of range.

IMO, the fact they pushed off the meeting to continue to negotiate is reassuring.
DallasAg 94
If they wanted to got the Mark Cuban route, wouldn't they have begun selling pieces?

What are we missing from the 2023 Championship? Garver. Hedges. Monty. Jankowski. Bunch of BP pieces that the Manager was reluctant to use in the playoffs, sans Chapman.

For the season, we can agree that Carter might likely be a solid replacement for LF, although there are concerns against LHP.

Comes down to Garver and Monty. There will likely be some reduced performance from some players.

IMO, the Playoff experience will go a long way mentally for the team. Nobody in our Division improved measurably. Making the playoffs is within reach.

Do we have enough to win the WS? I think that is the goal, but it is hard to say right now. On paper, adding Garver and Monty won't be enough to beat either of the Dodgers or Braves.

Signing Monty would certainly be a statement, but the question is... does it need to be made? Does it need to be made in January?
rbtexan
S
Grapesoda2525 said:

Mr Gigem said:

Man….im really crossing my fingers that we don't go the "mark cuban" route after winning a championship. Now I know the championship lineup will still be intact, but I think bringing Monty back is a signal to the team, fan base, and the rest of the league that we're going to compete hard next year.

I feel like with the state of our rotation and the guys who are due back in the second half of the season, it's a move the front office has to make from a competitive perspective.
That isn't at all what the Rangers have positioned themselves to do (the Mark Cuban route). We have the 5th ranked farm system in all of MLB. We have a nucleus of young and experienced players on the MLB roster. There's no reason to think the team is going to mail it in going forward.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, the beautiful thing is that they won the whole damn thing as soon as the window cracked open. They are in better position to repeat with Monty, but even without him, this team is set up to compete for titles for the foreseeable future
Water Boy
AG
Honestly starting to think Monty will be a ranger next season. Just find it odd that Monty would wait to sign when he's getting offered exactly what he wants from multiple teams. The waiting makes me think he's ready to sign with the rangers when the offer comes. If that is all true, that says a lot about what ownership has done with the franchise. You have players wanting to come back to play here in Arlington over Boston and New York.
Water Boy
AG
I think the bullpen will determine our playoff chances. If it is like last year I'm not sure we make it since I expect a slight drop off in offensive production. If we had a league average bullpen last season we win over 95 games easily.
fc2112
Rumor mill this AM is that the Yankees are all in on Marcus Stroman, having moved on from Monty. The Yankees, for one, certainly think Monty is committed elsewhere.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
I'm not sure where this hand wringing is coming from.

The entire starting lineup returns and you get a full season of Carter in LF. He can be platooned against LHP until he can improve on that front. Langford looks like he might force his way into the lineup. You have three very good starting pitchers coming back on line in the second half of the season.

Bullpen arms will continue to be added. That is one area that you can improve quickly by signing a lot of quantity and figuring out where you have quality. This team is set up to use the regular season to figure out what is needed for another successful postseason.
Water Boy
AG
Another signal that the front office isn't satisfied with 1 ring is the fact that we signed pitching that won't even be available till the end of the year. The front office is looking at 23 and beyond.
DallasAg 94
fc2112 said:

Rumor mill this AM is that the Yankees are all in on Marcus Stroman, having moved on from Monty. The Yankees, for one, certainly think Monty is committed elsewhere.
Stroman or Snell?

I thought the Yanks gave Stroman the Heisman.

Stroman was very critical of Cashman and the Yankees' rotation over the years. Napoleon gas-lit the whole org. Some thought his interest in the Yanks was self-serving to drive his price up.

For the Yanks to sign him, would show Cashman to be one of those names my kids use referencing a guy who continues to date his girlfriend even after finding out she is sleeping with his friends.
Water Boy
AG
We got 2 games on ESPN Sunday night baseball in April.
DallasAg 94
fc2112
fc2112
DallasAg 94
For reference:

Gone:
W Smith : 60G, 4.40, 57.1 IP, 55 SO, 22/27 in Saves
Chapman: 30G, 3.72, 29.0 IP, 50 SO, 4/7
CStratton: 22G, 3.41, 29.0 IP, 22 SO, 0/1
C Ragans: 17G, 5.92, 24.1 IP, 24 SO, 0/0
IKennedy: 16G, 7.16, 16.1 IP, 21 SO, 0/1
John King: 15G, 5.79
J Barlow : 13G, 4.66
Glen Otto: 6G, 10.13
MarPerez: 15G, 2.70 (in BP)

Back (7?):
Leclerc (29-R): 57G, 2.68, 57.0, 67 SO, 4/9 in Saves (1)
B Burke (26-L)): 53G, 4.37, 59.2, 52 SO, 0/2 in Saves (2) <- He has been bumpy. 52G/1.97 in '22
J Sborz (29-R): 44G, 5.50, 52.1, 66 SO, 0/4 in Saves (3) <- Much confidence from playoffs and when healthy
Anderson(26-R): 26G, 5.05, 35.2, 30 SO, 0/4 in Saves
YRodrig (25-R): 13G, 7.90
Bradford (25): 12G, 2.82 (in BP) (4)

Added to 40:
Yates (36-R-Atl): 61G, 3.28, 60.1 IP, 80 SO (5) <- Easy replacement for Chapman+Stratton

Antoine Kelly (23-L-AA/AAA): 49G, 2.04 ERA, 57.1 IP, 79 SO <- Promising. Will be bumpy.

Jake Latz (27-L-AAA): 46G, 4.10 ERA, 63.2 IP, 87 SO <- Got 6.1IP/0.00ERA at MLB <-nut-cutting time
Marc Church (22-R-AAA): 30G, 3.89, 44.0 IP, 48 SO <- Interested in what he has.

Zak Kent (25-R) <- Still a project
Carson Coleman (25-R): DNP in '23

Spring Training will be everything for the BP. I think we have 5 RPs worth rolling with. I'd add 1-2 more projects. Anderson and Kelly? The one long-reliever, would be Bradford, at the moment. Latz maybe over Kelly to begin season.

I could see us adding 1-2 RPs before the season... but I could also see us waiting until Trade deadline.

Grapesoda2525
Yes please sign Stroman Yanks
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Jonah Heim getting no respect from MLB Network. What's a guy got to do?

Double Talkin' Jive...
DallasAg 94
Well, Eovaldi and Montgomery were overlooked, as well: Montgomery was 8th in ERA and was solid in the playoffs.

We should come into ST with a chip on our shoulder.

gigem1223
Insanity. Absolutely no metric that would tell you he is not amongst the best catchers in the league.
fc2112
All these off season Top 10 things and other rankings are just click bait.

And it dawned on me today that William and Willson Contreras were brothers.
sburg2007

Avoid arb with Dunning.
TwoTimeAg
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Mr Gigem has mentioned A&M is one of the hardest to get scheduled.

My guess is yes, but it will be one of the last ones announced.
it will be Tuesday, May 28 vs the Diamondbacks and jerseys will be giveaway
First Page Last Page
Page 47 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.