*****Official 2023-2024 Texas Rangers Off-season Thread*****

318,004 Views | 3663 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Grapesoda2525
KT 90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

DallasAg 94
I'm mixed on him.

There are several players in MLB that have done worse than he was accused of (Urias, Osuna, Ozuna, Chapman*, Dyson*, Herrerra*) they continued playing. For the most part, it was considered consensual, which IMO, doesn't make it right to "choke-out" a woman or punch her in the face even if that was what she wanted. And by wanted, it wasn't a case of later saying, "oh I 'asked' for it because I was mean to him." She literally went in with the expectation and requested that to be done, AFAIK.

What makes Bauer different is that he was considered a clubhouse distraction and cancer. Has he grown up? Is he better? I'll rely on Seager to provide the necessary feedback on him. Poison, even a drop, is hard to clean up once it is spilled.

There is some team more desperate than the Rangers that are willing to take the risk.

*Players with a Rangers connection but not at the time they were suspended
KT 90
AG
First call would definitely be to Seager to get his input since they were teammates previously. If he shoots it down or is even lukewarm about it, it would be a pass. Only if Seager gives it a green light would I even contact Bauer's agent to kick the tires and get an idea for what he is expecting contract wise.

I believe the alleged victim recanted all of her allegations, so I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to bringing him on with a team friendly deal with the understanding that he would be cut at the first sign of trouble. But a lot of due diligence would need to be done beforehand. Having said that, Evan Grant didn't exactly give much hope of this happening. But of course Grant also mentioned Kershaw as a pitching possibility, which is the opposite of what we need for 2024, as Kershaw will be out the first half of the season at least (we already have a couple of those). If we add another starter, it needs to be someone ready to pitch in April.
rbtexan
S
No disrespect intended towards Evan Grant, but I doubt he has any idea what the Rangers will or won't do. Organizationally, they are notoriously tight-lipped about what they're considering doing in the way of trades or signings. Even considering how plugged in he is, I suspect he's reading the tea leaves like the rest of us to some degree.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of FA signings happen much later than we're used to - end of Jan/early Feb., and some even into spring training. If that happens, it'll also push potential trades back a bit I would think. No way to know what our roster will look like opening day until pretty late in March.
GrapevineAg
AG
fc2112 said:

Did you know the Rangers won the World Series only because of future Hall of Famer Dusty Baker's incompetence?

Big Bucks said:

I hate to be pessimistic but 2023 was our best shot at doing that (3rd WS Championship) before the baby O's grew up, home field for the ALCS, and the Diamondbacks coming out of the NL. But we got "Dustied". And no, I'm still not thanking him.

"If only Colt hadn't got hurt".
TwoTimeAg
AG
Will there be an A&M community night this year? Not seeing one listed.
DallasAg 94
Mr Gigem has mentioned A&M is one of the hardest to get scheduled.

My guess is yes, but it will be one of the last ones announced.
bmac_aggie18
AG
What's the reason we're so hard to schedule? Figured we'd be a huge hit with how heavy we run in DFW
fc2112
It has to do with A&M, not the Rangers.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I like it.
94chem
My gosh. If Monty gets that, what will Framber get? A Crisco IV?
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Ag Since 83
AG
How does that impact the luxury tax? I assume a lifetime supply is considered to be deferred, so what's the present value?
Grapesoda2525
94chem said:

My gosh. If Monty gets that, what will Framber get? A Crisco IV?
Anyone else find it funny that we joked about Framber being obese last season and Astro fans defended him, then they abruptly stopped defending him when he choked against us in the playoffs.
DallasAg 94
Ag Since 83 said:

How does that impact the luxury tax? I assume a lifetime supply is considered to be deferred, so what's the present value?
Maybe they'll just put a spread out for post-game consumption with all the other food.
DeangeloVickers
AG
https://twitter.com/tweeting******/status/1743435674420994128?t=xzQtYqQRse_3HIIyXiIcwA&s=19
AgBQ-00
AG
Fiending for some baseball. About a month until pitchers and catchers report
hawk1689
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Hopefully the Cowboys will get us all the way there!
Quincey P. Morris
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

40 days to Aggie Baseball.
AgBQ-00
AG
Yep. Excited about the Ags this year too
Quincey P. Morris
AG
On paper we look to be really good. Hopefully that becomes the reality as well.
Mr Gigem
AG
Here you go

https://texags.com/forums/53/topics/3398144
fc2112
Internet chatter that Monty is moving towards signing somewhere soon, perhaps this week. Yankees seem to think he'll choose Texas over them as long as the oney is comparable.
shack009
AG
fc2112 said:

Internet chatter that Monty is moving towards signing somewhere soon, perhaps this week. Yankees seem to think he'll choose Texas over them as long as the oney is comparable.
What a turn from "he's going to Boston because of his wife's residency" to now we are the assumed favorites? Things keep coming up roses for the Rangers.
AgBQ-00
AG
Really hoping he is back on our roster
DannyDuberstein
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Absolutely. Seems extremely durable which is rare these days. And he was absolutely nails vs the main division foe.
CowtownAg06
AG
From Newberg this morning:

The Diamond Sports Group bankruptcy could be to blame for putting restraints on whatever blueprint the Rangers took into the winter. A mid-December hearing between the company and MLB provided no resolution in terms of the Rangers' broadcasting deal for 2024a contract that was worth $111 million annually before regional sports network entered Chapter 11but the two sides are expected to reconvene in court on Wednesday. The New York Post reports that the Rangers "may get a one-time payment of about $90 million" as part of a settlement agreement. Perhaps the Rangersif not Montgomery and his agent Scott Boras themselvesare waiting for that to firm up and, afterward, there is a deal to be done.

A "person with knowledge of the Yankees' thinking" tells NJ.com that New York expects Montgomery to return to the Rangers and not the Yankees, his original team. If that's the belief, maybe it's because such a deal is teed up, pending resolution of the bankruptcy proceeding and the 2024 revenue certainty for the Rangers that would come with it.
shack009
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

AgBQ-00 said:

Absolutely. Seems extremely durable which is rare these days. And he was absolutely nails vs the main division foe.
And it always seemed like when we really needed a win down the stretch, it was his turn in the rotation and he delivered a really good start 90% of the time. It was like "ok we can take a deep breathe" when it was his turn to pitch. I have no data to back this up, that's just how I remember the last couple months of the year.
Grapesoda2525
CowtownAg06 said:

From Newberg this morning:

The Diamond Sports Group bankruptcy could be to blame for putting restraints on whatever blueprint the Rangers took into the winter. A mid-December hearing between the company and MLB provided no resolution in terms of the Rangers' broadcasting deal for 2024a contract that was worth $111 million annually before regional sports network entered Chapter 11but the two sides are expected to reconvene in court on Wednesday. The New York Post reports that the Rangers "may get a one-time payment of about $90 million" as part of a settlement agreement. Perhaps the Rangersif not Montgomery and his agent Scott Boras themselvesare waiting for that to firm up and, afterward, there is a deal to be done.

A "person with knowledge of the Yankees' thinking" tells NJ.com that New York expects Montgomery to return to the Rangers and not the Yankees, his original team. If that's the belief, maybe it's because such a deal is teed up, pending resolution of the bankruptcy proceeding and the 2024 revenue certainty for the Rangers that would come with it.
Ranger fans know it and rangers front office should know that we really need this guy back.
bmac_aggie18
AG
DallasAg,

I know this would never happen but if it's fun to think about. If Baltimore was looking to trade Jackson Holliday to the Rangers, what kind of a haul do you think the Rangers would have to send off?
Water Boy
AG
Sign Monty and this will be a successful offseason.
DallasAg 94
bmac_aggie18 said:

DallasAg,

I know this would never happen but if it's fun to think about. If Baltimore was looking to trade Jackson Holliday to the Rangers, what kind of a haul do you think the Rangers would have to send off?
Interesting.

I get the sense he may be as good if not a better player than Witt Jr (KC), Bo Bichette (Tor), and Guerrrero Jr (Tor).

You probably know the reason he went to Okie State is because his uncle is the HC for Okie State. Jackson's dad is Matt Holliday.

It would not surprise me if he was playing for Baltimore in 2024. He was the 1.1 pick and is currently the #1 prospect in MLB and Balt's #1 prospect (obviously) and playing mostly at SS.

What would it take? That's a player I don't know if you can quantify a trade. 20 year SS with 6 years of team control.

Carter or Langford would give you the immediate return for the 2024 season.
Walcott (17) might give you a SS position. All accounts are he could be the real deal. He is 3 years younger, so it is a lottery ticket to say he'd be at the same place at age 20.

I think if you dangled all 3 together, you may not get a response. I've never seen Walcott nor Holliday play live and I'm just offering commentary.

A bigger question is... where would we play him?

Would trading Seager and paying some of what he is owed be an option?
bmac_aggie18
AG
Certainly seems likely but yeah i agree hard to put a value on it! Either way, think he'll be a stud although it may not matter to us since Baltimore doesn't seem like they want to spend any money
fc2112
Still sounds salty.

AgBQ-00
AG
Like Reggie Jackson never pimped a homerun. I've seen vids of him admiring his own handiwork
Grapesoda2525
fc2112 said:

Still sounds salty.

I'm sure mattress Mack didn't get mad when Bregman carried the bat all the way to first base during the World Series against the Nationals.
First Page Last Page
Page 46 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.