*****Official 2023-2024 Texas Rangers Off-season Thread*****

318,078 Views | 3663 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Grapesoda2525
CowtownAg06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Different topic, but any news out there on the TV situation? I use FUBO during baseball season but really don't like the interface compared to YTTV, so just switch back to YTTV (plus no march madness on Fubo). I know we have time, but thinking ahead to my streaming plans for next year.
Water Boy
AG
Right now the only thing I've heard is a potential deal could be worked out with Bally for the 24 season in the next few weeks. Haven't heard any news of any other potential options other than Bally.

Edit: has anyone heard anything different?
Mr Gigem
AG
I heard recently that a deal with Amazon could be in the works. Not sure what all that entails though
hawk1689
AG
Mr Gigem said:

I heard recently that a deal with Amazon could be in the works. Not sure what all that entails though

I was initially disgusted by this, but then I realized that I could cancel my DirectV stream! Maybe they'll invest in their broadcast like AppleTV!
South Platte
Monty prefers to come back to Texas.
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-rumors-jordan-montgomery-up-for-rangers-reunion-mets-open-to-trading-veteran-yankees-add-pitching/

Can we just sign him already? I hope we don't let him go and sign someone else to save $5M a year.

Good for Hedges to get a $4M contract. $24 million in his career.
cmiller00
AG
South Platte said:

Monty prefers to come back to Texas.
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-rumors-jordan-montgomery-up-for-rangers-reunion-mets-open-to-trading-veteran-yankees-add-pitching/

Can we just sign him already? I hope we don't let him go and sign someone else to save $5M a year.

Good for Hedges to get a $4M contract. $24 million in his career.
Mr Gigem
AG
Just sign him a defer his money
fc2112
Mr Gigem said:

Just sign him a defer his money

Run down the hall and make that suggestion - maybe they haven't thought of it.

EDIT - by the way, did you see that kidney I left in your inbox?
cmiller00
AG
Yankees claim Bubba Thompson off waivers. I remember wondering why we kept Jankowski on the opening day roster when he seemed like just an older Bubba Thompson.

Sorry Travis!
DallasAg 94
Here is what I'd recommend Mr. Gigem and if you recommend this and they snag Monty, you owe me.

This clause:
https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/competitive-balance-tax
Quote:

(Note: If a player signs a contract extension that doesn't kick in until a later season, his AAV for the purposes of the CBT doesn't change until the new deal begins.)
Sign Monty to a $5M contract for 2024.

The following day, extend his contract for 5 years @ $170M. That'd end up being $175M for 6 yrs ($29M).

Impact would be $5M for 2024, well within our CBT limit. He'd hit $34M/yr for the next 5 years.

Scherzer has a $13.0M impact on CBT for 2024.
Heaney has a $12.5M impact on CBT for 2024.
That's the $25.5 you need to fund Monty in 2025.

Even though Ohtani deferred a ton of money, he still hit the Dodgers CBT pretty hard.

Montgomery's wife is going to be a dermatologist, IIRC... so, he probably doesn't need the money long-term as much as maybe near term. Some Docs might say they don't make much... and compared to a MLB SP... probably true.
Water Boy
AG
Sounds like everyone wants to come back. I think Garver would have stayed if we matched the offer. Also wouldn't mind Amazon for our tv deal. Streaming is the future so why not get a head start on all the other mlb teams. Amazon prime cost much less than cable.
DallasAg 94
cmiller00 said:

Yankees claim Bubba Thompson off waivers. I remember wondering why we kept Jankowski on the opening day roster when he seemed like just an older Bubba Thompson.

Sorry Travis!
If you haven't heard Jankowski on the radio, it is a real treat. He was a favorite on The Fan (105.3FM) in DFW.

They asked him about being a Util/Role OF. He talked about his routine. He said he'd go to the lineup to see if he was in. When he wasn't, he went about his business in preparation. In my words, his mindset was that he probably knew each day he wasn't in the lineup. He knew, though that when he was in the lineup that he had to be ready to perform and that most people don't realize that he has to prepare everyday like he is going to play. He didn't get paid to perform daily, he got paid so that when he was asked to perform... he'd be prepared.

gibby03
AG
And boy was he in the World Series. Love it.
Grapesoda2525
Water Boy said:

Sounds like everyone wants to come back. I think Garver would have stayed if we matched the offer. Also wouldn't mind Amazon for our tv deal. Streaming is the future so why not get a head start on all the other mlb teams. Amazon prime cost much less than cable.
Definitely helps that we don't have a sweaty hellhole of a ballpark anymore.
Grapesoda2525
https://www.mlb.com/news/jordan-montgomery-rumors

Quote:

Jan. 4: Rangers viewed as Montgomery's 'first choice'

As one of the best starting pitchers left on the free-agent market, Montgomery is appealing to a lot of teams; perhaps at least six clubs are vying for him.

But the left-hander may hold one team in higher regard than the rest: the Texas Rangers.
Although the Yankees have been connected to the left-hander with whom they spent six seasons prior to a 2022 trade to St. Louis, a source with knowledge of the Yankees' thinking told NJ.com's Randy Miller that Texas is considered Montgomery's "first choice."

"He loves Texas," the source said of Montgomery. "That's really where he wants to go."
beagle2009
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Quote:

As one of the best starting pitchers left on the free-agent market, Montgomery is appealing to a lot of teams; perhaps at least six clubs are vying for him.

But the left-hander may hold one team in higher regard than the rest: the Texas Rangers.
Although the Yankees have been connected to the left-hander with whom they spent six seasons prior to a 2022 trade to St. Louis, a source with knowledge of the Yankees' thinking told NJ.com's Randy Miller that Texas is considered Montgomery's "first choice."

"He loves Texas," the source said of Montgomery. "That's really where he wants to go."

Get it done CY!!!
Grapesoda2525
He was pretty much a silver bullet for the Astros lineup. The rest of our pitching staff seemed to have issues with them. I want Montgomery back for that main reason, but plenty of others too.
AgBQ-00
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Quote:

Really hope we can get it done
fc2112
Did you know the Rangers won the World Series only because of future Hall of Famer Dusty Baker's incompetence?

Big Bucks said:

I hate to be pessimistic but 2023 was our best shot at doing that (3rd WS Championship) before the baby O's grew up, home field for the ALCS, and the Diamondbacks coming out of the NL. But we got "Dustied". And no, I'm still not thanking him.

Had nothing to do with:

Grapesoda2525
fc2112 said:

Did you know the Rangers won the World Series only because of future Hall of Famer Dusty Baker's incompetence?

Big Bucks said:

I hate to be pessimistic but 2023 was our best shot at doing that (3rd WS Championship) before the baby O's grew up, home field for the ALCS, and the Diamondbacks coming out of the NL. But we got "Dustied". And no, I'm still not thanking him.

Had nothing to do with:

The boys on the other thread are a bunch of clowns who blamed 90% of their problems on dusty and maldy. Dusty and maldy weren't the reason that they couldn't win a single ALCS game at home.
Water Boy
AG
Brantley has retired.
DallasAg 94
CYoung hired a Pitching guy.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/01/rangers-hire-dave-bush-as-director-of-pitching-strategy.html

Hope that is what we need to propagate through our Org to improve SP success rate/development.

Dave Bush pitched for Texas in 2011 and Pitched while Maddux was in Milwaukee.

Was Pitching Coach for the Red Sox, previously:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Bush
CowtownAg06
AG
Dave Bush is a great answer to Rangers trivia question...

The same five guys started 157 of 162 for the Rangers in 2011. Bush started 3. Who started the other 2? I assume everyone know the 5 for 157.
DallasAg 94
CowtownAg06 said:

The same five guys started 157 of 162 for the Rangers in 2011. Bush started 3. Who started the other 2? I assume everyone know the 5 for 157.
Was it Ogando? Someone from the BP (Hunter?), IIRC (without looking). I believe they inserted a "starter" to give the rotation a break.

The 5? Off the top of my head?!

Holland
M <- Can't recall his name but got bumped in the rotation and we sent him away.... I'll look it up.
Harrison
Feldman
Colby Lewis

Ok, now I'll go look it up and be embarrassed.
fc2112
2011 was the first year i had season tickets.

Holland
Wilson
Lewis
Harrison
Ogandi

EDIT: would not have remembered Bush and could not remember the guy who started two until I looked him up.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94 said:

CowtownAg06 said:

Was it Ogando? Someone from the BP (Hunter?), IIRC (without looking). I believe they inserted a "starter" to give the rotation a break.

The 5? Off the top of my head?!

Holland
M <- Can't recall his name but got bumped in the rotation and we sent him away.... I'll look it up.
Harrison
Feldman
Colby Lewis

Ok, now I'll go look it up and be embarrassed.

Ok... SMH.

I won't post anything until other guess.
shack009
AG
fc2112 said:

Ogandi

Imagine the year he would have had if he wasn't doing the whole hunger strike thing.
DallasAg 94
fc2112 said:

2011 was the first year i had season tickets.

Holland
Wilson
Lewis
Harrison
Ogandi

EDIT: would not have remembered Bush and could not remember the guy who started two until I looked him up.
I was thinking CJW had already been traded.

Feldman is the guy I get stuck with the letter "M", but ... I listed him. Getting old.
And funny, he was the guy with the 2 GS. Maybe I'm not so old.
I was thinking Ogando was still in the BP, but it was actually him that they skipped to rest.

Hunter had been moved to the BP by then, but wasn't given a start.

Funny that I thought Feldman was the SP and not Ogando and that Feldman got starts for Ogando. Completely flipped.

CJW was just a complete miss.
CowtownAg06
AG
Good job. Dave Bush has always stuck with me for that season. First thing I thought of when I saw the announcement.
DallasAg 94
What do the prospects of teams look like, as of now? What is the market?

I thought Monty would be worth $25-30M. I think that is reasonable for what he brings.

But, who has it? Have the Dodgers and Braves set such a high bar that other teams are capitulating?

Braves (104Ws) have outstanding SP and a stout lineup.
Dodgers (100Ws) have an outstanding lineup and a bolstered rotation.
Both teams are likely better in 2024 than they were in 2023.

Milw got the rug pulled out and Philly stood firm.
NYM and SDP both dismantled.

Any NL team that wants to make a run in 2024 are unlikely to match the Braves and Dodgers and they won't even be a close 3rd. You are playing for a WC spot and likely bounced in the NLDS

The AL is much closer.
Baltimore-Texas-Houston

Tampa doesn't make moves. Seattle tore down their Offense. NYY are so far above the CBT as a 3-peat offender, they'll pay dollar-for-dollar to the CBT for any additions.

All 5 teams have pretty solid SP. Can they be improved? Sure... Snell or Monty would improve most of them, but Houston and Texas are the only ones that might spend. As it was with the Trade Deadline... Rangers got Scherzer and Houston responded with Verlander. I believe if Texas doesn't take Max... Houston doesn't take Verlander.

And so, if Texas signs Monty, I would think Houston responds with Snell. If either signs one of the SPs they are likely the AL front-runner, but as is, the Top 3-6 teams are likely competitive with each other, which is to say, they are no better than say Philly and far behind the Dodgers and Braves.

Is going after Snell or Monty throwing good money away?
Water Boy
AG
Looking strictly at the AL we should be able to contend now and I expect us to make a trade before the deadline if we need too. Yankees need to stay healthy to contend and their pitching is shaky at best. If we get Monty I don't see the Astros spending top dollar for a pitcher at that age. They usually get guys to sign team friendly deals and I don't see Snell getting less than 125 million. Blue Jays are looking to make a move or two and I'm looking at Seattle to make a move.
DallasAg 94
Wow... what is Seattle doing?!

Looks like change-of-scenery/salary exchange.

SEA get:
DeClafani (33-SP): 18GS, 4.88 ERA, owed $12M in 2024
Haniger (32-RF): 61G, .209, 6 HR, 65 SO, owed $20M ('24), $15.5M in '25 (player opt)
- Had 6 years with Sea prior to '23.

SFG get:
Robbie Ray (31): 1GS, 8.10 ERA, owed $23M in '24, $25M in '25 (p-opt), $25M in '26
- went 32GS, 3.71 ERA for Sea in '22 and 32GS, 2.84 for Tor in '21

Their TV situation is worse than the Rangers. They give up a P that didn't contribute in '23 and P is a strength for them. They also offload a potential $73M in payroll for 3 years.

They get a warm body in RF to fill a spot in the lineup with a guy that may not contribute much. They get a SP that they likely offload to someone else. OR, they could be looking to trade one of their young SPs for a Bat.
fc2112
Seattle was one game outta the playoffs and seem to be tearing it down. So weird.

I really think we're going into 2024 with what we got. By June, we'll know how our TJ guys are gonna be ready by August. Having scherzer, deGrom and Mahle for the stretch run will be incredible.
Water Boy
AG
According to the Seattle front office they are meeting their goal of having a .540 win percentage. The goal for them is not to win a title.
GigEmRangers75455
fc2112 said:

Seattle was one game outta the playoffs and seem to be tearing it down. So weird.

I really think we're going into 2024 with what we got. By June, we'll know how our TJ guys are gonna be ready by August. Having scherzer, deGrom and Mahle for the stretch run will be incredible.

I agree but man it's gonna be tough to be in the hunt by then without a little more starting pitching. Resign Monty and I'll feel good about it.
First Page Last Page
Page 45 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.