*****Official 2023-2024 Texas Rangers Off-season Thread*****

318,268 Views | 3663 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Grapesoda2525
gigem1223
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KT 90 said:

He was good for about 5 years and then fell off last year (only 8 games pitched?) anyone have the story here?
rbtexan
S
No idea. He's a sinkerball pitcher though, and usually what happens to those guys when they have problems is they lose the sinking action on their pitches and start leaving stuff up in the zone. Might be a mechanical fix, might be problematic. Regardless, it's a minor league deal so it's low risk/potentially high reward. Good flyer taken IMO
KT 90
AG
Quote:

Regardless, it's a minor league deal so it's low risk/potentially high reward. Good flyer taken IMO

The brief info I read didn't have anything injury related, just that he was good for several years and lost it a bit. So maybe he can recapture that, maybe not, but worth a shot on a minor league deal. Need Maddux to probably spend some extra time with him during Spring Training to see what we have.

DallasAg 94
I expect more of these kinds of signings:

Quote:

but presumably include an invite to big league Spring Training.
With these type Ps:

Quote:

Castillo owned a solid 28.5% strikeout rate against a walk rate of 8.6% with an impressive 51.8% groundball rate. Among all relievers with at least 100 innings of work across the 2018-19 seasons, only Luke Jackson, Jace Fry and Ryan Pressly struck out more batters while posting a groundball rate north of 50%.

Swing and miss groundball pitchers.

I wonder if the pitching clock got him.

Interestingly, his splits for his 2 full seasons in Seattle are:
'21:
Home: 1.98
Away: 3.48
'22:
Home: 4.91
Away: 2.16

Worthwhile salvage yard heap pickup.
AgBQ-00
AG
Shirt I got for my wife for Christmas
KT 90
AG
Evan Grants HOF ballot below, with his followup explanation tweet. Who would yall have voted for given these candidates?

Mr Gigem
AG
Yet he voted for Carlos Beltran who was widely considered to be the architect behind the sign stealing scandal
ryanhnc10
AG
And didn't Andy Pettite use PEDs? Not following his logic
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Andy Pettite did get busted. I think it gets forgotten because when he got caught he owned it and didn't come up with some bs story like Clemens.
Tksymm7
AG
Pettitte and Buehrle are probably the two guys I'd have to really think hard about. Everyone else on Grant's ballot I would've voted for as well.
DallasAg 94

Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
KT 90 said:

Evan Grants HOF ballot below, with his followup explanation tweet. Who would yall have voted for given these candidates?

My ballot this year have been Beltre and Mauer. I'm a small hall guy. You could maybe convince me to vote for Andruw Jones and Wagner but in reality, if I have to be convinced, I probably wouldn't vote for them.
Double Talkin' Jive...
chick79
AG
Josh Hader to the Rangers per si.com
chick79
AG
Doesn't seem to be quite official yet. Fingers crossed.
Mr Gigem
AG
Where are you seeing this?
Seven Costanza
AG
It's a clickbait article that says "Rangers add Hader", then the body of the article is just saying it would benefit the Rangers to sign him.
gigem1223
chick79 said:

Doesn't seem to be quite official yet. Fingers crossed.

Are you referring to the SI article?

https://www.si.com/mlb/rangers/news/texas-rangers-strengthen-repeat-chances-signing-josh-hader-rumor

If so, you read wrong.
chick79
AG
The SI headline is misleading
PatAg
AG
How does that even become the headline for that article, wow
AgBQ-00
AG
Smile!! Adolis is still Mayor of Swamptown

DallasAg 94
SI got busted for generating fake accounts and using ChatGPT to generate content.

That article reads like something ChatGPT generated. Having said that, here is the author:

https://www.si.com/mlb/rangers/author/cole-thompson
https://www.si.com/college/tamu/author/cole-thompson

Seems to write weekly articles on A&M and the Rangers.
cmiller00
AG
SI seems to just regurgitate articles and tweets now. Sad I remember being excited when the magazine came in the mail.
94chem
AgBQ-00 said:

Smile!! Adolis is still Mayor of Swamptown

Reminds me a lot of Ron Gant. Gant coud wait on a hanger and uppercut it to LF, or ambush a letter high fastball and hit a liner out.

94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
94chem
cmiller00 said:

SI seems to just regurgitate articles and tweets now. Sad I remember being excited when the magazine came in the mail.
Yeah, well, who, ahem, wasn't?
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Daveintx
For those in the Waco area, looks like the Trophy is making an appearance at the first pitch luncheon next week at the sports hall of fame.... not that i wanna spend 75 a ticket but still
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Thats glorious.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Seriously, that franchise is going to be tainted for a very, very long time. They managed to make themselves a punchline to win a title no one respects or counts now. The only "title" they really won is "Cheating Aholes" to the entire country
DeangeloVickers
AG
Well done. So deserved
Chipotlemonger
AG
Thank you for posting, I had the game off and on for a bit and I did not catch that one.
94chem
Al Michaels replacing Brent Musberger as the crazy old uncle who gets to say the stuff that everyone else is thinking.
94chem,
94chem
Interesting article from post-2022 about Seager. I would say it aged well...

https://theathletic.com/3755538/2022/11/07/rangers-positional-review-corey-seager/

At first I was against banning the shift, but then I thought about how much more it was penalizing lefties, and I was in favor of the ban. I'm sure if you went back 75 years, nobody would have wanted to see Ted Williams hit .250.

Interesting also to note that Semien was killed by the shift as well, but not nearly to the extent of Seager. Obviously you can't play your SS in LF or you'd never throw anybody out (well, except Heim could still GIDP...)
94chem,
KT 90
AG
Evan Grants early on roster projection. Dropping hints that Lankford could be on it, also dropping more than a hint that the plan is to not go over the luxury tax threshold (at least to start the season). So basically he is saying unless the mess with Bally/Daimond Sports gets resolved soon, forget about bringing Montgomery back or signing Hader.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/rangers/2023/12/28/a-way-too-early-2024-texas-rangers-roster-projection/?sailthru_id=6268110a4f757f64badd17d2&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=MorningRoundup_12282023&utm_term=Morning%20Roundup%20with%20Start%20Exclusion

Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Was watching a reel the other day of the Rangers best catches of 2023 and over half of then we're Jankowski. I think we need to re-sign him as a bench guy/defensive sub. Carter had some great catches too, especially only playing one month and the postseason.

One thing noticed: if Astros fans ever chirp about Adolis pimping homeruns, show them the clip of Bregman admiring his long fly out to left center field that Carter caught and then doubled up Altuve when he missed 2nd base going back to 1st.
Double Talkin' Jive...
94chem
Or maybe you just let him go, and then you go look for a defense-first pinch running outfielder for less than $2M/year. Wait, we already have one of those...
94chem,
First Page Last Page
Page 42 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.