*****Official 2023-2024 Texas Rangers Off-season Thread*****

318,645 Views | 3663 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Grapesoda2525
Carlo4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
shack009 said:

Can we really upgrade that much from Lowe? I think this thought process is a little bit anchored to last offseason's thinking of Lowe.

We used to think of him as an above average offensive first baseman and a poor defender, that has to hit at the top of the lineup.

But he's actually an above average offensive first baseman and a gold glover who we can have towards the bottom of our lineup.

Think of Lowe as a 7 or 8 hole hitter and all of a sudden he sounds pretty great.
Paul Goldschmidt
Pete Alonso
Christian Walker
Yandy Diaz
Matt Olsen
Freddie Freeman
Vlad Jr.
Anthony Rizzo

This is the short list of better first baseman. Once a position of massive power hitters... it's changed over the last decade or so.

Defensively, he's one of the best/the best. Offensively, he's in the top ten to fifteen with HR/RBIs but even better with walks, doubles, etc. I'm great with that.

sburg2007
Figured I'd ask here before posting online. Ordered this immediately after game 7 of ALCS but it doesn't fit my dome. It's low profile 7 1/4. Hard to find especially once the World Series ended. Paid $40 just looking to break even.

ClassOf17
Ohtani is a Blue Jay
fc2112
ClassOf17 said:

Ohtani is a Blue Jay

Just saw this. I'm really surprised.

He's rich af now.
fc2112
DallasAg 94
Crazy he ends up in Toronto. I guess the idea of wanting to be the piece to get over the top and make a difference had legs.

Let's see if Toronto makes additional moves like trading Vlad or Bo for SP.
DallasAg 94
LAD are probably going to throw down big money for Montgomery, I suspect.

Was that as big a blow to them as it seems?
fc2112
DallasAg 94 said:

Let's see if Toronto makes additional moves like trading Vlad or Bo for SP.
KT 90
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

LAD are probably going to throw down big money for Montgomery, I suspect.

Was that as big a blow to them as it seems?

Well, if Montgomery doesn't re-sign with the Rangers, hopefully he at least goes to a NL team.

But yeah, the Dodgers need SP pretty badly, and supposedly they were saving money for Othani. So that means they have plenty of room to sign Montgomery now one would think.

KT 90
AG
sburg2007 said:

Figured I'd ask here before posting online. Ordered this immediately after game 7 of ALCS but it doesn't fit my dome. It's low profile 7 1/4. Hard to find especially once the World Series ended. Paid $40 just looking to break even.

Ouch... take care of that thumb

I pretty much do the flex-fit hats nowadays, especially when ordering online. Sizing isn't always consistent for the fitted hats, at least when I've order them in the past.

ETA: I am good on hats. I am sure someone will be interested.
KT 90
AG
fc2112 said:

ClassOf17 said:

Ohtani is a Blue Jay

Just saw this. I'm really surprised.

He's rich af now.

Have the terms been released yet? I am sure it is crazy money.
sburg2007
Thumb got smoked weeks ago. Best part was burning hole with paper clip to relieve pressure and seeing the look on my 7 year olds face. It's just ugly now!

I usually only buy 47 brand dad hats but, World Series requires a 59/50!
Water Boy
AG
Is the Ohtani news official? There has been major smoke this morning but have not seen anything official.
DallasAg 94
I think a reporter for DodgerNation said the Dodgers were out and he was going to Toronto.

Then, there started some conflicting reports.

It could be that someone in the Dodgers org is forcing a decision by floating out rumors that he is headed to Toronto.

Most logical explanation may be that Team Toronto wants to review the medical and their doctor's physical before eliminating teams.

Carlos Correa was a laughable debacle and ultimately cost him tons of cash.

I'd imagine once the winning team gets to view his medicals... 2 TJs and a knee operation?... $50M for 10-12 years might draw some caution.

I wonder if the LAD already viewed his medical and was waiting to finalize the deal and found something they didn't like and then backed off... or lowered their terms. The whole Dave Roberts confirmation was a way for the LAD to say Ohtani eliminated them. Meanwhile, Toronto is none-the-wiser that the LAD declined the price and will accept the additional risk not knowing the price would come down if they knew the LAD had backed off.
Water Boy
AG
What if Ohtani was really that strict on his rules of no leaking info and took it out on the dodgers. Then the dodgers media decided to be salty about it and leak the Toronto news. Wild times.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Wonder what take home is. Canada taxes are insane
Tksymm7
AG
Toronto must be absolutely backing up the brinks truck. That's about the only positive they could bring imo.
KT 90
AG

investorAg83
AG
All signs point to this being done. Lot of clues dropping that confirm reports.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Saw a tweet claiming to be video of him going through the Toronto airport.
fc2112
So Ohtani was NOT flying to Toronto. And the madness continues

topoftexasag
AG
What a wild Shohei day. He was probably in his house the whole day.
Proposition Joe
"Sources"
Water Boy
AG
Apparently the dude on the private jet was one of the guys from shark tank.
Water Boy
AG
Shohei to Texas? Shohei wants his free agency to be a secret and no one is expecting us. CY also created the narrative that we will not be spending big this offseason. CY playing chess!
AggieEP
I will say, that since the price for Soto ended up being a 28 year old pitcher, one real pitching prospect and a few lottery tickets, I'm a little surprised the Rangers weren't involved there.

Dunning + Leiter + Spares seems like it'd have been a better package.

From the Rangers perspective, you get your DH for one year, and you get to recoup a draft pick when he signs elsewhere after the year. Missed opportunity of sorts to make a move to try and win again next year for a pretty small risk.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Water Boy said:

Shohei to Texas? Shohei wants his free agency to be a secret and no one is expecting us. CY also created the narrative that we will not be spending big this offseason. CY playing chess!

I do think there's a good chance it's somebody that either hasn't been talked about or somebody that's been reported as being out of it. That or he gets real dumb and goes back to the Angels.
Water Boy
AG
His arbitration estimate is around 30million which would put us over the luxury tax. That was probably a big reason.
Water Boy
AG
Giants would be my surprise team.
94chem
His next team is brilliantly inscribed in the 3 unintelligible words he says in the New Balance ad. Crack the code and you'll know.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
AggieEP
Water Boy said:

His arbitration estimate is around 30million which would put us over the luxury tax. That was probably a big reason.
For sure, but the good thing would be that we'd only dip into the luxury tax for the one year of his arbitration. If for some reason things weren't going well at the trade deadline, you flip him at that point and reduce the tax burden.

If things are going well, the luxury tax is a small price to pay for a chance to repeat as champions.

If you all don't know by now, I'm all about winning. This patient team building stuff, the GM can have that perspective. But for me, if there is a good player out there, I want the Rangers to be in on them.

I think some of you forget that we had never won a world series before this year. If this team's goal is to win it again, then I think you have to consider some win now moves.
94chem
No doubt. Baltimore will have to make some moves for that reason. Gotta mix in proven ballers with the prospects. Like I said in late September - your window is when you're there.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Mr Gigem
AG
I find it fascinating that guys like Monty and Garver would not automatically just sign back with the Rangers. How much more World Series ready could this team even be?

But I get it, these guys need to make a few more million dollars to support their families.
shack009
AG
I guess you could see it as once a guy gets the ring, now he's free to chase the money.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Monty's wife is doing a residency in Boston so that doesn't help.
First Page Last Page
Page 29 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.