*****Official 2023-2024 Texas Rangers Off-season Thread*****

318,544 Views | 3663 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rangers select: Carson Coleman (NYY)

Houston: "Pass"

ETA:
https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=colema000car

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/yankees-carson-coleman-out-indefinitely-at-double-a/

Promising young RP who didn't pitch in 2023. Had "elbow surgery." I'm guessing the Rangers will take a look at his medical information and determine if he is worth stashing on the roster for 2024.

fc2112
Yankees got raided
DallasAg 94
Yep.

Major League phase
  • A's (39) -- RHP Mitch Spence (NYY)
  • Royals (39) -- RHP Matt Sauer (NYY)
  • Rockies (39) -- RHP Anthony Molina (TB)
  • White Sox (39) -- LHP Shane Drohan (BOS)
  • Nationals (38) -- SS Nasim Nuñez (MIA)
  • Cardinals (39) -- RHP Ryan Fernandez (BOS)
  • Mets (34) -- RHP Justin Slaten (TEX)
  • Guardians (39) -- 3B Deyvison De Los Santos (AZ)
  • Padres (31) -- RHP Stephen Kolek (SEA)
  • Rangers (35) -- RHP Carson Coleman (NYY)

• Everyone else passed.

I think the NYY do most years. I think it is the result of signing lots of FAs. It makes your Farm system look better, but it ends up having multiple young players exposed in Rule V.

What they used to do, about 10 years ago, is trade/include their soon-to-be Rule V guys at the trade deadline. Not sure how many guys like that they were looking to include in the Soto negotiations, but I'm guessing Preller was not going to have any of that.
    sburg2007
    Texas aggie Stephen Kolek
    Hair God
    AG
    Here's a write-up about Coleman from Fangraphs:

Coleman and the Yankees have added about four ticks to his fastball since he signed after the 2020 draft, and when you combine the mid-90s velocity with his heater's nasty uphill angle and tailing action, he now has a vicious plus-plus fastball. That is almost solely why Coleman was able to punch 95 tickets in just 63 innings throughout a 2022 season spent as Somerset's closer. His command and secondary pitches are all well below average and at least one other aspect of Coleman's skill set needs to evolve if he's going to play a consistent big league role, but if he develops another plus characteristic, he'll have a shot to work late innings. His slider (which hitters struggle to parse from his fastball, but which Coleman struggles to locate) is his best shot given this org's ability to develop those.

Grades on his pitches per that same article:
    Fastball - 70/70
    Sits at - 94-97
    Tops out at 98
    Slider - 40/50
    Command - 30/35

Here is the article if anybody wants to go read. He was ranked as the Yankees #30 prospect per this article.
    DallasAg 94
    DallasAg 94 said:

I think we get 1-2 off Rule V on Wednesday, sign a C, and sign/trade for a RHRP. Hope we're done by Friday.
    Got 1 on Rule V: Coleman
    Got a RH RP: Kirby Yates

Now, we just need to finish with Garver.

Next step... Spring Training.
    Grapesoda2525
    Yates and garver seems like a lackluster offseason to me. I was hoping to at least bring back Montgomery.
    KT 90
    AG
    DallasAg 94 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

I think we get 1-2 off Rule V on Wednesday, sign a C, and sign/trade for a RHRP. Hope we're done by Friday.
    Got 1 on Rule V: Colean
    Got a RH RP: Kirby Yates

Now, we just need to finish with Garver.

Next step... Spring Training.

Can we afford him? Wonder how much and how many years he is looking for.

I might take another mid-range RP and go with Huff and Hedges (if we are carrying three catchers again). Of course you can always find a third catcher, but Hedges seemed like the dugout captain, so I'd take him if we are going with three.
    DallasAg 94
    Grapesoda2525 said:

Yates and garver seems like a lackluster offseason to me. I was hoping to at least bring back Montgomery.
    I agree, but when you retain most of a roster that won the WS...

From an earlier post of mine:

Quote:

During the 2023 season, we had to add: Scherzer, Montgomery, Stratton, Chapman, Hedges, and *Carter.

Players on the 26Man roster to start the 2023 season that would not be on the Opening Day 2024 roster as of now:
    C: Mitch Garver
    OF: Grossman, Jankowski, Thompson <- Replaced internally by Carter and Taveras
    DH: Brad Miller

SP: deGrom, Perez <- Replaced with Scherzer and Dunning
    RP: Hearn, Ragans, Kennedy, Smith, (Odorizzi, Otto both on 60IL)
    Out of all the players on the 2023 roster for the most part, the net is:
    Loss of 3 months of Montgomery and Chapman.
    Loss of season of Garver, Grossman, and Jankowski

Carter should neutralize the loss of Grossman and Jankowski.
    Scherzer should neutralize the 6 GS of deGrom.

If we sign Garver, IMO, we'll be a far superior team going into 2024, than we were going into 2023. That isn't to say, we're a WS team in 2024, but we are well positioned to fix the BP issues. And LAAA and Oak haven't done anything. Seattle has torn down some O and retooling away from the high K rates. Houston will be a year older (for better or for worse).

Fix the 30 blown saves.
    fc2112
    And the August addition could easily be deGrom. I've heard he's good.
    rbtexan
    S
    I'm sorry, did I miss something? I thought Montgomery was still in play.
    Jimbo Franchione
    Water Boy
    AG
    I wonder if Monty would take a back loaded contract so we can work around the luxury tax this season. Not getting Monty now just delays this problem for next offseason.
    DallasAg 94
    I think he is technically in play.

The question is do we have enough Cap space or are we going to go over.
    rbtexan
    S
    The impression I got from reading CY's comments was that we are willing to go over, but that we're likely not in the running for the really big FA guys like Ohtani. Montgomery will get a big paycheck, but not deGrom or Seager big.
    Jimbo Franchione
    KT 90
    AG
    rbtexan said:

I'm sorry, did I miss something? I thought Montgomery was still in play.

Chris Young gave some hints prior to the start of the Winter Meetings that we want to stay under the luxury tax amount to start the season; but also hinted that we may be willing to go over later in the season, if the need is there.

Currently we don't have room for Montgomery and to also stay under the luxury tax amount, unless we move a player or two. So you would be looking at Lowe, Heaney, Gray, one of those would be needed to make room for Montgomery. And that is without bringing Garver back as well (I think we can replace Garver on the cheap, if needed).

gigem1223
    CY also said just a couple days at the winter meetings that we could afford any free agent , including Ohtani.

https://www.si.com/mlb/rangers/news/texas-rangers-afford-sign-shohei-ohtani-chris-young-winter-meetings?fbclid=IwAR1FRhTBydOQq_WR97mgDZzRuEoqcsneXVQ1qw-Fe1JHUXpQlF7wtuDqQ1g_aem_AWAEug53wp_MoPFMidNsfTNcesNeIAAKFnkj6oW2BJl5Pd5cgBfMc6-RTLiXpr2XFv0
    DallasAg 94
    To put some numbers out there... we are projecting to have about $17M in Cap space after the addition of Kirby Yates ($4.5M).

Monty, I'm guessing is around $25-30M
    Garver, I'm guessing is around $10-15M

I think we still probably add a BP piece or two. I didn't expect the WillSmith/Chapman/Yates piece to be $4.5M. I was expecting a $2M guy.

I keep hearing the Clase is possibility for trade. He has 5yrs signed with $2.9M next year. My concern with him is his PED suspension. I don't want a 5 yr commit on a known PED guy with one strike already. I prefer the unknown PED guys.

MLBTR projections:
    6. Jordan Montgomery. Six years, $150MM

23. Mitch Garver. Three years, $39MM

KT 90
    AG
    gigem1223 said:

CY also said just a couple days at the winter meetings that we could afford any free agent , including Ohtani.

https://www.si.com/mlb/rangers/news/texas-rangers-afford-sign-shohei-ohtani-chris-young-winter-meetings?fbclid=IwAR1FRhTBydOQq_WR97mgDZzRuEoqcsneXVQ1qw-Fe1JHUXpQlF7wtuDqQ1g_aem_AWAEug53wp_MoPFMidNsfTNcesNeIAAKFnkj6oW2BJl5Pd5cgBfMc6-RTLiXpr2XFv0

Interesting. We will see what happens, maybe we will splurge for Montgomery. Or sign Montgomery and trade some salary to get under the luxury tax line.
    fc2112
    Ray Davis can afford any ball players on the planet.

But he's earned the right to stay under the luxury tax threshold. And I think we can win with what we have. Especially if the August addition is deGrom.
    fc2112
    BTW - Yankees on the verge of having a Verdugo/Judge/Soto outfield.

They just gutted all their pitching prospects to get it though.
    DallasAg 94
    It will interesting to see how they go from there.

Speculation that once they finish with Soto, they will still add a SP. Yamamoto could be enough to get them to the playoffs. They'll need Rodon to return to form.

Quote:

Cole (32): 33GS, 2.63, 209.0 IP, 222 SO, 0.981 WHIP
    Schmidt (27): 32GS, 4.64, 159.0 IP, 149 SO, 1.352 WHIP
    Cortes (28): 12GS, 4.97, 63.1 IP, 57 SO, 1.247 WHIP
    Rodon (30): 14GS, 6.85, 64.1 IP, 64 SO, 1.446 WHIP
    Vasquez (24): 5GS, 2.87, 37.2 IP, 33 SO, 1.274 WHIP

Grapesoda2525
    Grapesoda2525
    DallasAg 94
    Soto to the Yanks is final. Certainly an alternative to Ohtani.

Judge: 106G, 37 HR, .267, .406 OBP
    Verdugo: 142G, .264, 14 HR, .324 OBP
    Soto: 162G, .275, 35 HR, .410 OBP

Is that enough to make the NYY the tracking horse?!

That should give a bump to the Ohtani closing.

DallasAg 94
    DallasAg 94 said:

This will lead to tomorrow's question, which is rooted in a Tweet by Evan Grant...the tweet linked an article he wrote for the DMN discussing 5 Rangers that could be traded during the Winter Meetings (Secret: Lowe, Taveras, Duran, and Leiter). My question tomorrow (Secret) will be which players would you be comfortable trading if we can get enough return and that we can replace internally. For example, trade Taveras and replace with Langford. Maybe you get a solid RP+ for Taveras.
    On 12/5/23, I asked this question:
    Quote:

Question for today: 'As-Is' are the Rangers a competitive team that can make the playoffs and possibly win the WS?
    Under JD we were "involved" in all the top FAs and it amounted to asking the price and walking away. ie, it never seemed sincere. So, the question above was about where do you feel we are if nothing else happened.

I teased the next question that I was going to post yesterday, but with Rule V, et al, I waited til today.

Question for today: "How much (and who) would you be willing to trade off for future prospects and still remain competitive in 2024 to make the playoffs? Could we still win the WS?

Some context... Looking at teams like Seattle and SDP, they are selling off pieces but I think they plan to remain competitive. I've thrown out almost every player as a trade piece over the past few months. I'm interested to see the value you put on players and their importance to 2024.

Examples... I think trading Gray ($13M in '24 & '25) and/or Heaney ($13M in '24) would be better than moving either into the BP and it would give us high-end prospects to sustain our "run."

I'm not opposed to trading either Taveras (4yrs Arb control) or Adolis (3yrs Arb control). Depends on where Langford and JPM are. If Carter is who we think he is (and hits LHP) and Langford shows to be a MLB talent, trading Adolis with 3yrs control may or may not get a Soto type haul, but we'd likely get at least 3 contributors in 2-3 years.
    rbtexan
    S
    I floated the idea of trading Adolis this past season at some point (maybe it was preseason), because he currently has some years of control left, and by the time he nears the end of his contract, he'll be well into his 30s. His value is never going to be higher than it is currently IMO.

Now I say this with the disclaimer that the assumption there is that Carter and Langford are who we think they are.
    Jimbo Franchione
    fc2112
    I've been keen on trading Taveras for a while now. MLB ready center fielders are quite valuable.

Power hitters who take care of themselves physically can be productive well into their 30's. I think we'd end up regretting letting Adolis go.

If we have too many starters, trading one or two for high end prospects and/or MLB ready bullpen arms makes a lot of sense. AS much as I'd like to keep someone like Gray "just in case we need him" - well, if he brings two good prospects and a great bullpen arm to help in 2024, wouldn't that help the team more?
    Water Boy
    AG
    I think the first guy we should consider trading is Duran. High ceiling but position blocked at the moment.
    DallasAg 94
    How about Taveras and Duran to Boston?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/12/red-sox-trade-rumors-second-base-rotation-yamamoto-severino.html

2nd base and CF questions. They just got a haul from NYY.

Worst case, we sign Jankowsi to play LF and slide Foscue into the Util role. Not sure how Payroll relief works there, but we might work some CBT room.
    Grapesoda2525
    From Stefan Stevenson:

Chris Young and manager Bruce Bochy have a ton of topics to discuss as they prepare the team to defend its World Series title.

During one of those conversations Monday morning at the MLB Winter Meetings at the Gaylord Opryland Resort, the topic turned to Ezequiel Duran.

"[We] were talking about this, how good Zeke looked down the stretch when we were doing live BPs, and we had the alt-site camp. Zeke was on fire; it was like the first half," Young said. "We just didn't have a spot to get him in. But he was really, really good."

Duran, 24, is an easily forgotten piece of the Rangers championship season because he was left off the postseason roster after the emergence of Evan Carter in September and in lieu of an extra bullpen arm.

Duran was hitting .300 until mid-July and finished with 14 home runs, 22 doubles, and 46 RBI, while hitting .276. The middle-infielder who can also play third, first, and outfield is considered a valuable insurance policy on the Rangers' bench. He filled in admirably for Corey Seager, with only three errors in 37 games at shortstop. And when Josh Jung was injured, Duran filled in at third base. He made five errors in 22 games there, but three of them came in one game against the Milwaukee Brewers.

"It's a luxury to have somebody like Zeke, and we're going to need him," Young said. "He may get at-bats at DH, and he may play the infield. He can play third, short, second, and first. You can put him in the outfield. That's a real luxury. Look at him and Josh Smith for our organization, and it makes our big-league team significantly deeper, in my opinion."

If teams are interested in acquiring Duran, say for some pitching, their offer needs to be good.
    "We hold a super high bar on Zeke because we believe he has the potential to be a really impactful everyday player, and that may be this year if somebody goes down or if he outperforms somebody," Young said. "I put no limits on him. He's just coming into his own. He's really good."
    Mr Gigem
    AG
    What are suggesting the return might be?
    DannyDuberstein
    AG
    Jung is injury prone. Seager is injury prone. Semien is getting older. I'd need an offer that blows me away to give up Duran
    KT 90
    AG
    DallasAg 94 said:

How about Taveras and Duran to Boston?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/12/red-sox-trade-rumors-second-base-rotation-yamamoto-severino.html

2nd base and CF questions. They just got a haul from NYY.

Worst case, we sign Jankowsi to play LF and slide Foscue into the Util role. Not sure how Payroll relief works there, but we might work some CBT room.

if we are looking to make room to sign Montgomery and stay under the luxury tax number, then you have move somebody else to create more salary space. So one (or more of) of Heaney, Gray, Lowe... would create some room, plus the room we already have, could end up making enough room.

Duran at 1B if we had to move Lowe?

KT 90
    AG
    DannyDuberstein said:

Jung is injury prone. Seager is injury prone. Semien is getting older. I'd need an offer that blows me away to give up Duran

This is also a good point. We've already seen that Josh Smith can field, but isn't likely to hit much at all.
    Water Boy
    AG
    I wouldn't hate it. Need to get a couple of those prospects they just got. Duran and Taveras both are mlb ready, young, cheap, and have potential. Those prospects need to be pretty valuable.
    First Page Last Page
    Page 27 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.