*****Official 2023-2024 Texas Rangers Off-season Thread*****

318,457 Views | 3663 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Grapesoda2525
AgBQ-00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

So... Will Smith?
Hey now, That is 3x WS winning pitching staff member Will Smith
KT 90
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

So... Will Smith?
Hey now, That is 3x WS winning pitching staff member Will Smith

Is there any way we can sign Will Smith as a bullpen coach or batting practice pitcher? He's 3 for 3 the past three seasons in World Series titles, so we need to try to keep him around in some capacity.

DallasAg 94
I'm not opposed to anything.
Seven Costanza
AG
Yates was very good for two years in San Diego before missing the 2021 season recovering from TJ surgery. Prior to the injury, he had high strikeout numbers despite a 93-94 mph fastball. This season his velocity was back to 93-94, but his walk rate was extremely high. He's 36 and Atlanta declined a 2024 option for ~$5MM, choosing to buy him out for $1+MM.

It seems fine as a 1 year/$4.5MM deal. If he can regain some control, he could be a useful piece. Could easily see it going the other way, though.
DallasAg 94
Good write-up, thanks.

He checks the box for me. RH RP. Bonus. 1yr. Bonus. Not too expensive.

2nd year after TJ is usually the start to see improvement. Hoping after last year, he does some good.

Takes some of the pressure off the younger guys whom I'd like to see cycled through the BP to get some IP.
DallasAg 94
Did MLB do this in secrecy?!

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/12/guardians-win-draft-lottery.html

Not that it matters for the Rangers, but it would have been a nice thing to broadcast. MLB needs to step their streaming game up.

Of course, I don't get MLB streaming... so, if it weren't available on YouTube TV, Hulu, Max, Disney+, ESPN+, Prime Video, NetFLix,

ETA:
Quote:

While the 2023 draft was extremely highly regarded at the top particularly with the first five selections the '24 class isn't as lauded. Much can change with the upcoming amateur baseball season in the spring, of course, but early indications are that having a top selection may not be quite as impactful as it would be in a typical season (and certainly not last summer).

CY changed our fate. Great pool at the top last year for us, weak pool this year.

I think that means there are fewer "can't miss" prospects and a better chance to find a contributor later.
Water Boy
AG
MLB needs to step up their marketing. Although the draft doesn't have the same impact as the NFL or NBA, they still need to promote it. Also you have the biggest star in the league who wants 0 coverage of his free agency. Not good for the game considering MLB free agency is already considered boring compared to the nfl and nba.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Just saw the Yankees acquired Alex Verdugo and made me wonder.

What if you have a bear and long hair and get traded to the Yankees? Can they truly compel you to shave?
cr06gis
AG
A family friend (Aggie '77) has a son that is a clubhouse manager (or something close to that role) with the Rangers. Was apparently due to receive a half-share of the WS bonus. Instead they awarded him a full share...500k.

Not bad for a kid that started off as a bat boy 15 years ago
Mr Gigem
AG
Damn. Must be nice
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Holy crap! That's awesome.
cmiller00
AG
Quincey P. Morris said:

What if you have a bear and long hair and get traded to the Yankees? Can they truly compel you to shave?

See Johnny Damon with Red Sox vs Yankees
sburg2007
So is it taxed at a 28% clip? $140k to the IRS?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Damon signed, wasn't traded. I'm talking more along the lines of guys who get sent there whether they like it or not.
DallasAg 94
Quincey P. Morris said:

Quincey P. Morris
AG
I really mean, they can truly make a guy do this? Has anyone ever said no? Can they?
shack009
AG
Quincey P. Morris said:

I really mean, they can truly make a guy do this? Has anyone ever said no? Can they?
Why would you pass up the chance to (likely get overpaid to) play for one of the most iconic franchises in all of sport by not shaving?
EastSideAg2002

Mattingly! I thought I told you to trim those sideburns!
Grapesoda2525
Quincey P. Morris said:

Damon signed, wasn't traded. I'm talking more along the lines of guys who get sent there whether they like it or not.
The Yankees have 27 World Series. The next closest team has 11. They can force players to do whatever they want.
sburg2007
Grapesoda2525 said:

Quincey P. Morris said:

The Yankees have 27 World Series. The next closest team has 11. They can force players to do whatever they want.

But there's only 1 World Series this board cares about!
Roger Kint
AG
EastSideAg2002 said:

Mattingly! I thought I told you to trim those sideburns!

Such a great episode.
agent-maroon
AG
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DallasAg 94
Quincey P. Morris said:

Quick digging... Don Mattingly challenged it and was benched. And that was after being a 6x AllStar.

From this link, it says in 2019, NY made it illegal to require, so it is considered "voluntary" as of now.

https://diamond-digest.com/2020/08/14/its-time-to-cut-some-of-the-tradition/

DallasAg 94
Fun day. White Elephant Gift exchange.

Rule V @1pm Central.

Rangers are at #23 with only 27 teams having a slot to participate (KC, Colorado, and Tampa)

Some rule explanation and some players to watch:
https://www.mlb.com/news/players-of-interest-2023-rule-5-draft

Vulnerable Rangers prospect:
https://www.milb.com/player/justin-slaten-686580
Seems like your typical Rangers P prospect that someone else seems to fix. RP with some control concerns, starting to age, needs to figure it out.

I think most of the players that will go are guys who have had some injuries and could be close to getting over the hump if they can remain healthy.
KT 90
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Rule V @1pm Central.

Rangers are at #23 with only 27 teams having a slot to participate (KC, Colorado, and Tampa)

Seems like your typical Rangers P prospect that someone else seems to fix. RP with some control concerns, starting to age, needs to figure it out.

I think most of the players that will go are guys who have had some injuries and could be close to getting over the hump if they can remain healthy.

Asa Lacy jumped out at me (A&M obviously). I think he had some injury issues, but is a former first round pick. Not sure where he is on the prospect ratings these days.
DallasAg 94
I think this evening, we'll see some major moves.

These are my speculations, no inside info nor drawn from another:
I think the Yankees will finalize the Soto trade. After adding Verdugo, if they add Soto (proj $33M Arb for 2024), they're CBT Payroll will be approaching $300M. Do they have enough SP?

Cubs are wishy-washy on Ohtani. Rumors they are out, but Pres says, "Not so fast." I think they are out but clinging on to the perception for their fan interest and to court FAs. Same with LAAA. Cubs need to make a move soon.

Dodgers will likely complete Ohtani by weeks end.

SFG will respond with a quick Bellinger announcement.

Tor will grab Yamamoto

Snell will go to SFG or LAD

Rangers will sign Garver

Montgomery goes to Red Sox

After all that by Monday 12/11, there will be a breather and then onesy-twosy signings will happen over the next couple weeks.
bmac_aggie18
AG
KT 90 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Rule V @1pm Central.

Asa Lacy jumped out at me (A&M obviously). I think he had some injury issues, but is a former first round pick. Not sure where he is on the prospect ratings these days.

I think Asa dropped completely out of the Royals Top 30 Prospect Rankings. Dude can't stay healthy to save his life…pitched a grand total of 80 Innings since getting drafted and didn't log any this past season
KT 90
AG
KT 90 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Rule V @1pm Central.

Did a quick search, didn't pitch at all in 2023 apparently:
https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=lacy--000asa

I don't see anything about TJ surgery, just back related issues. I am sure there are more details out there, but I don't really have time to chase them down. Anyway, best of luck to Asa, wherever he ends up!
DallasAg 94
He was one mentioned a few weeks ago.

I've mentioned I'd like to see the Rangers take 1-2.

With the Roster itself, having added a RP... I think we need to add a C (Garver/Hedges), and that's it.

Mainly, I want to see Foscue, Duran, Smith, Huff, and JPMartinez. Cycling them at DH and in their field positions will give them MLB ABs and we'll see if they can adjust.

I also want to see if Bradford, Anderson, Burke, OWhite, and Hernandez, et al, can rise to the occasion.

Those are 2025 decisions we need to find out in 2024 if they can be part of the future. For some, going through the playoff and WS run should benefit them and slow the regular season game down for them.

It might cause the Rangers to come out slower than we'll hope, but we'll know if we have anything there. Some of those could plug-in (Foscue at 1B, JPM in OF, OWhite as SP) so we can trade guys (Lowe and Taveras and Gray/Dunning). Some of those could be players we trade at the deadline and could have elevated value (Duran, Bradford)

We have enough O and SP to keep us in the hunt and by the ASB, we'll know where these players are.
MrCoachEricTaylor
Don't rule out Langford for that DH/LF spot too. I think the team is going to have to do some hard thinking for him.
DallasAg 94
Back issues were all I found when I looked last time he was brought up. I believe the reason he didn't pitch in 2023 was because they were retooling his motion and trying to strengthen his back.
DallasAg 94
MrCoachEricTaylor said:

Don't rule out Langford for that DH/LF spot too. I think the team is going to have to do some hard thinking for him.
I agree. I think there will be pressure to bring him up, especially if he has a solid ST. More reason to get some early feedback on guys like Foscue and JPM.
Water Boy
AG
With teams like the dbacks and brewers giving rookies/prospects big contract extensions, is that something we may look into doing?
Ornithopter
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

MrCoachEricTaylor said:

I agree. I think there will be pressure to bring him up, especially if he has a solid ST. More reason to get some early feedback on guys like Foscue and JPM.

He may be on the Day 1 roster to be eligible for the RoY bonus draft pick
DallasAg 94
KC and Colorado... the #2 and #3 positions in the Rule V draft... both dropped players and are now available to participate.

Maybe they see something they like...
First Page Last Page
Page 26 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.