*****Official 2023-2024 Texas Rangers Off-season Thread*****

318,709 Views | 3663 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Grapesoda2525
Water Boy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Seattle? Interesting.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I was surprised they weren't listed as a favorite originally.
rocky_ag
AG
South Platte said:

If there were an equal number of LHP and RHP then this makes sense. But there aren't, and that might keep Langford out of the lineup for an entire week.

CY will figure it out. Garcia, Duran, Taveras, Carter, Langford. That's pretty salty for years to come.
That is why I mentioned DH. Between that and platooning, he should get plenty of ABs.
aggiedadofpanda
AG
94chem said:

DeangeloVickers said:

How in the world is that the market for Aroldis

Look at his numbers. You may not like the eyeball test, but the stats were there. You just have to live with 5 walks per 9 innings, but swing and miss in the back end is a high value commodity. Now, if you look closer, you realize that you can't use him in the 9th inning, and you can't bring him in with runners on, but you can also make a good case that the Rangers aren't the champs without him. Everyone was laughing about how KC got over on Texas, but trophy don't lie.

As a scientist, I'd like to see what he'd do as a 2 inning opener every 5th day for a RH starter.

I will forever be ok with the Aroldis Chapman for Cole Ragans trade, no matter where Ragans' career takes him. And I firmly believe that's a top of the rotation, bonified #1 ace. Think back, and the first month of the Aroldis experience was awesome. Was he as good the rest of the year? No. Was it an adventure always? Yup.

But considering we made the playoffs by 1 game...and upon making the playoffs won the whole damn World Series, I think AC was worth at least a win in the 2H. He was a huge bullpen boost when we acquired him.

Do we keep him? Probably not - I think if you get Hader then Jose can slide into that 8th inning role, but I love that AC was a part of this World Champion team.
aggiedadofpanda
AG
rocky_ag said:

Water Boy said:

I gotta say, this is pretty fun talking about all these possibilities. No matter the direction we go I trust CY.
Agree. Even if they don't make the decisions I personally would like, there is a reason he in an MLB GM and I am not. He helped get us one ring, I trust him to maximize our resources to help us get another.

The most amazing thing about CY is that he didn't just have a "good" performance at the beginning of his tenure. We won the World Series...for the first time ever...in Year 2. Anything he does beyond this, and I believe he will be a force for years to come, is gravy.
DallasAg 94
Put me on record declaring Ohtani does NOT sign with the LAD.

I finally spent some time looking at them, since there has been so much speculation about Ohtani.

They are about $75M below the '24 Luxury Tax level and have 3 consecutive years (at least) over the LTax.

They have zero pitching for 2024 and will have to sign at least 3 SPs to get through the season.

Their #1 is Buehler who didn't pitch in 2023 (TJ). Their next 5 options have a combined 65.2 IP in 2022. The 5 have a combined 52 GS in 2023. Their ages: 23, 24, 24, 25, and 26.

I can't see Ohtani signing with the LAD until they get some FA SPs signed. Will they compete?
I think SP would be a spending priority for the LAD. Spending is one thing. Penalties are another.

Reference if you want it:

Quote:

(Some came out of BP so IP may see crazy):
Miller ( 24 - R ) : 22GS, 3.76, 124.1 IP
Grove ( 26 - R ): 12GS, 6.13, 69.0 IP <29.1 IP in 2022>
Sheehan (23-R): 11GS, 4.92, 60.1 IP
Stone ( 24 - R ) : 4GS, 9.00, 31.0 IP
Pepiot ( 25 - R ): 3GS, 2.14, 42.0 IP <36.1 IP in 2022>

aggiedadofpanda
AG
Sorry for all the comments, I'm just now coming up for air after being in PHX to watch the TEXAS RANGERS WIN THE WORLD SERIES!
Adam87inSA
AG
bdp514am said:

Do you go after Hader?
THIS! Would be a great add. Get him and you could let Chapman walk.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Me wearing my GM hat:

Package a deal with the Pirates for David Bednar. I think he is Arb 1 eligible this year. Give then Leody and Foscue and a minor league arm if they want it.

Sign Neris or another top BP piece.

Offer Garver 2 yrs at 10.5 per. If he doesn't take it, Huff is your backup Catcher and backup 1B.

Sign Monty

That's +/- $40MM with no Hader and not giving up a draft pick for him.

Edit: still don't have a serviceable LHP out of the pen so we'll take Will Smith for league minimum.
Double Talkin' Jive...
MrCoachEricTaylor
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

still don't have a serviceable LHP out of the pen so we'll take Will Smith for league minimum.

Fenrir
MrCoachEricTaylor said:

Fuzzy Dunlop said:

still don't have a serviceable LHP out of the pen so we'll take Will Smith for league minimum.

Look, do you want a guaranteed WS or not?
DallasAg 94
I know we have high expectations, but we may have some internal options.

Brock Burke was supposed to be solid after 2022.
'22: 52G, 82.1 IP, 1.97 ERA, 9.8 K/9, 1.057 WHIP.

Hopefully Latz gets over the hump.

We're going to need some depth, regardless.
AgBQ-00
AG
Likelihood DeGrom does not pitch at all in '24? Is there a chance the club sits him all year to give him basically 2 full years to be ready for the last 3 years of his contract?
beagle2009
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Likelihood DeGrom does not pitch at all in '24? Is there a chance the club sits him all year to give him basically 2 full years to be ready for the last 3 years of his contract?

I would not be surprised if this is the case. I've said this previously but I really think the team needs to approach next year as if he will not be available, and anything we get out of him would be a bonus.
Michael Cera Palin
AG

Happy for Wash to get another shot but HATE the idea of having to play against him in the division
AgBQ-00
AG
Their fielding should be considerably better next year
Super Aggie 64
AG
Wash hired by the Angels! That's the way baseball go!
bmac_aggie18
AG
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the Angels have next to a non-existent farm system?
PatriotAg02
AG
Wow Wash is back
Flounder Dorfman
AG
Has there ever been a picture taken of Wash when he's not laughing his ass off?
FireAg
AG
I truly hope that Wash is able to successfully navigate the temptations for his demons in a town like Los Angeles...
ChoppinDs40
AG
still have my Ron Washington Ranger's jersey.. loved that man.
agent-maroon
AG
Flounder Dorfman said:

Has there ever been a picture taken of Wash when he's not laughing his ass off?

Find one where he was on the mound talking to Derek Holland
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DallasAg 94
bmac_aggie18 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the Angels have next to a non-existent farm system?
That.

They also lose their best P and best H - Ohtani.
agent-maroon
AG
Double post. TA is crashing on my phone
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bmac_aggie18
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

bmac_aggie18 said:

That.

The also lose their best P and best H - Ohtani.

Not that Trout has been on the field much but they could potentially lose him too although I doubt they'd get a lot of prospects with the amount of money owed and his expected contribution (or lack thereof)
fc2112
Somewhat ironic the Angels are the last MLB team that had a player die of a drug overdose.
DallasAg 94
bmac_aggie18 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

bmac_aggie18 said:

That.

Not that Trout has been on the field much but they could potentially lose him too although I doubt they'd get a lot of prospects with the amount of money owed and his expected contribution (or lack thereof)
7 MORE YEARS AT $37.1M PER

Look, they'd do well to give him away and only eat 50% of the remaining money.

The last 3 seasons, he has averaged 79G, .283, 22 HR, 5SB. .382 OBP.

Plays less than half the games!
Tksymm7
AG
Health is a major factor, but I'd take a healthy Trout on my team any day. He's still got value too. Idk what that is honestly, but he's not some bum. You'd just have to come up with a plan to keep him on the field. A change of scenery might be all he needs tbh.
light_bulb
AG
bmac_aggie18 said:

As someone who frequently attends games of one of their minor league teams and has seen a lot of bad baseball, I would say that your assertion is absolutely correct.
DallasAg 94
light_bulb said:

bmac_aggie18 said:

As someone who frequently attends games of one of their minor league teams and has seen a lot of bad baseball, I would say that your assertion is absolutely correct.
Interesting...

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-pipeline-2023-midseason-system-rankings

Quote:

28. Los Angeles Angels
2023 preseason rank: 28
2022 midseason rank: 30
2022 preseason rank: 28
2021 midseason rank: 24

And they traded some guys at the deadline, and if their Payroll remains above the Luxury Tax, their Comp Draft Pick for Ohtani will drop in value.

The Rangers traded prospects, but we still get Scherzer for 2024. And something about a Ring... or Trophy... or something...

Adam87inSA
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

rgag12 said:

Monty and Hader.

If you got those two, and Scherzer gets right, the club would be a monster. The Rangers would easily get into the playoffs, and this season has shown us that's all you really need.

Rangers converted 30 of 63 Save opportunities (48%). I think league average is usually around 65%. If our BP converted the league average of 65%, they'd have had 41 Saves, increasing W total by 11G.

We'd have finished at 101Ws.

Leclerc's velo was still recovering early in the season, which is why his performance in the 2nd H was so improved. 3.08 v 2.35 ERA

Sborz found himself.

Hader would elevate the who BP, IMO.
the bullpen started rolling once Bochy decided that he was never going to pitch Will Smith in a late inning leverage situation. Smith may have led the team in saves but he was ASS when it counted.
DallasAg 94
Adam87inSA said:

DallasAg 94 said:

rgag12 said:

Monty and Hader.

If you got those two, and Scherzer gets right, the club would be a monster. The Rangers would easily get into the playoffs, and this season has shown us that's all you really need.

Rangers converted 30 of 63 Save opportunities (48%). I think league average is usually around 65%. If our BP converted the league average of 65%, they'd have had 41 Saves, increasing W total by 11G.

We'd have finished at 101Ws.

Leclerc's velo was still recovering early in the season, which is why his performance in the 2nd H was so improved. 3.08 v 2.35 ERA

Sborz found himself.

Hader would elevate the who BP, IMO.
the bullpen started rolling once Bochy decided that he was never going to pitch Will Smith in a late inning leverage situation. Smith may have led the team in saves but he was ASS when it counted.
He fell apart, for sure.

Pre All-Star Break:
33G, 15 of 17 Saves, 3.06 ERA, 0.87 WHIP
Post All-Star Break:
27G, 7 of 10 Saves, 6.12 ERA, 1.32 WHIP

ETA post All-Star #s
91AggieLawyer
AG
bmac_aggie18 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

bmac_aggie18 said:

That.

OK, I'm out of the loop big time and will admit it, but what happened to Trout. He's no longer one of the best in the game? That was so 2015?
Tksymm7
AG
He's missed A TON of time the past three seasons. That's pretty much it.
First Page Last Page
Page 12 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.