*****Official 2023-2024 Texas Rangers Off-season Thread*****

318,681 Views | 3663 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Flounder Dorfman said:

I seriously doubt we would pay Montgomery, Hader and Garver. One, maybe two of those. Not all three.
I'm playing a little devil's advocate and trying to extend the conversation in many aspects.

I'd like to get all 3. We have a bunch coming off the books after 2024, so if we can ramp their costs, it could work.
Water Boy
AG
And you also have to keep in mind we will need pitching after next season as well. It would be better to go ahead and get Monty long term now rather than not have him this year and end up having to pay more money next season since contract prices do not go down. Just a thought.
Water Boy
AG
I gotta say, this is pretty fun talking about all these possibilities. No matter the direction we go I trust CY.
DallasAg 94
For the discussion...

Just a note... $20M is the QO amount which is the avg of the Top 125 overall contracts.

2024 Commits for SP:
Scherzer: $43.3M ($20.8 paid by NYM)
deGrom: $40.0M
Eovaldi: $17.0M
Gray: $13.0M
Heaney: $13.0M
Dunning: Arb1

2025 Commits for SP:
deGrom: $40.0M
Eovaldi: $17.0M vesting option
Gray: $13.0M
Dunning: Arb2

Tksymm7
AG
I really wish we had a young catcher on the doorstep of the MLB. Doesn't have to be a Gabby Moreno from Arizona or Alvarez from the Mets, but someone who could come up to the big leagues, catch every third day and give you a solid day at the plate by getting on base. Huff isn't that guy unfortunately. Having Heim lead the way and a young guy under him would be perfect.
Water Boy
AG
I agree. It is a tough role to fill.
DallasAg 94
If we can sign Monty, I wouldn't be opposed to trading Dunning with 3yrs of Arb for a C that is up and coming... maybe behind someone else. Huff could be our #3 and DH.

or

Anyone know if Maldonado is available?!
ElephantRider
AG
Tksymm7 said:

I really wish we had a young catcher on the doorstep of the MLB. Doesn't have to be a Gabby Moreno from Arizona or Alvarez from the Mets, but someone who could come up to the big leagues, catch every third day and give you a solid day at the plate by getting on base. Huff isn't that guy unfortunately. Having Heim lead the way and a young guy under him would be perfect.
Someone just teach Hedgey how to hit. Shouldn't be too difficult
South Platte
ElephantRider said:

Tksymm7 said:

You mean his 3 cuts in Game 1 didn't impress you?
rocky_ag
AG
Water Boy said:

I gotta say, this is pretty fun talking about all these possibilities. No matter the direction we go I trust CY.
Agree. Even if they don't make the decisions I personally would like, there is a reason he in an MLB GM and I am not. He helped get us one ring, I trust him to maximize our resources to help us get another.
fc2112
ElephantRider said:

Gigem9821
AG
How much is Adolis expected to make in arbitration? I know we want to spend some money on a few free agents but I hope he gets rewarded with a nice payday. Dude was a huge reason for our success and only made 750k
DallasAg 94
Before the post-season, I see most projections in the $3-4M. COTS and the FWST (11/4) indicate $6.6M. He has 3 Arbs coming up from '24-26. I'd be curious to see if the Rangers don't lock him up by buying out his Arbs.

I think there are GM meetings on the agenda in the next week or so, then Rule V administrative stuff. FA. And Arb Hearings are likely around mid-January.

Before the post-season, I was throwing out the idea of trading him, when Langford arrives.

Thinking Juan Soto who had 2 more years on his trade deadline deal for:
Prospects:
#2 James Wood (minors)
#8 Robert Hassell (minors)
#12 Jarlin Susana (minors),

MLB
CJ Abrams (22-SS): 151G, .245, 18HR, 47 SB
MacKenzie Gore (24-LHSP): 27GS, 4.42, 136.1 IP, 151 SO, 1.401 WHIP
Luke Voit (32) - 22G, .221, 0 HR

With his post-season heroics?! I would think you could get a huge haul.

Seeing how the players were, he might be more of the heart-and-soul than I imagined and might not be worth it.
94chem
DallasAg 94 said:

Before the post-season, I see most projections in the $3-4M. COTS and the FWST (11/4) indicate $6.6M. He has 3 Arbs coming up from '24-26. I'd be curious to see if the Rangers don't lock him up by buying out his Arbs.

I think there are GM meetings on the agenda in the next week or so, then Rule V administrative stuff. FA. And Arb Hearings are likely around mid-January.

Before the post-season, I was throwing out the idea of trading him, when Langford arrives.

Thinking Juan Soto who had 2 more years on his trade deadline deal for:
Prospects:
#2 James Wood (minors)
#8 Robert Hassell (minors)
#12 Jarlin Susana (minors),

MLB
CJ Abrams (22-SS): 151G, .245, 18HR, 47 SB
MacKenzie Gore (24-LHSP): 27GS, 4.42, 136.1 IP, 151 SO, 1.401 WHIP
Luke Voit (32) - 22G, .221, 0 HR

With his post-season heroics?! I would think you could get a huge haul.

Seeing how the players were, he might be more of the heart-and-soul than I imagined and might not be worth it.

"Dominate the fundamentals."

You can't realize how important this is until you see it not being done. I recall a moment after Montgomery joined the team when he covered first, then kept jogging down the RF line, allowing a run to score from second. Those lapses were few and far between this season. The new guy committed it.

Not only did the Rangers make very few of these mental errors, like throwing to the wrong base, but they also made very few physical errors. They hit their cutoffs. They played pitch and catch, blocked pitches in the dirt, got good reads on balls, positioned themselves correctly. But even beyond that, they made the exceptional plays. Not just at a few positions, but at every position of the field. I've never seen anything like it. I've never seen a team that never needed a defensive replacement. If you think about it, that's the reason they won it all.

Jung's double play for Chapman. Seager's double play. Semien's diving stop in game 5. Carter's catch and double play. Adolis' catch in the gap, and his throw in game 3. Countless scoops by Lowe. Heim's throwout against Baltimore.

The combination of fundamentals, brains, and athletic ability made this perhaps the most complete defensive team ever, certainly the best I've ever seen.

This team didn't have to hide anybody. Meanwhile, look down I45. You've got a 26 YO guy with all-world offensive talent, yet he can't play the field. It's embarrassing. They've got a 38 YO with a bad back playing 1B, and a 26 YO who somehow can't or won't learn the position. The guy can hit a triple off the LF wall at Minute Maid, yet he can't learn to play 1B? Give me a break.

The point is, you need to appreciate what this team did defensively, and not mess with it. Adolis is a straight up weapon in RF, and should be for the next 5 years. The fact that Carter was a minor league gold glover cannot be overemphasized.

And finally, those who thought the Rangers were weak up the middle didn't understand how good Semien and Seager were. Sure, someday Seager will move, but no way CY commits $500 mil to get a sub-par defense. People love the high-powered offense, but the cornerstone of this team is the fielding. Do NOT compromise that (which means you go hard after Jankowski. Why not run it back with a known quantity?)
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
DallasAg 94
You should write sports articles.

3 GGs: Heim, Lowe, Adolis
2 GG Finalists: Seager, Semien
cmiller00
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Before the post-season, I was throwing out the idea of trading him, when Langford arrives

At one point or another you have proposed trading everyone on the 40 and 2/3rds of those on the farm.

Edit:supposed to be winking emoji but it's true haha
DallasAg 94
94chem
DallasAg 94 said:

You should write sports articles.

3 GGs: Heim, Lowe, Adolis
2 GG Finalists: Seager, Semien

Much obliged. Back in the day I had a goal of writing a book about Aggie sports. Ultimately my knowledge of teams past did not translate into ongoing immersive experiences. I just was never connected enough, so I settled for being a fan. But I've had a lifelong ability to just absorb baseball. I enjoy it and study it simultaneously.

I did write a theological book 10+ years ago. I still have some inventory if you want one.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
94chem
Another side note to ponder about the importance of making plays. Remember that 9-8 victory over Seattle on the last homestand?

If Julio Rodriguez doesn't knock that HR ball over the fence with his glove, maybe Toronto, Seattle, and Texas all end up tied with 89 wins. Toronto misses the playoffs, and Seattle is the 6 seed based on tiebreakers.

Seattle probably takes out Minnesota, and they owned Houston this year.

I just watched 14 minutes of all the post-season HR's for the Rangers, but it was the defensive inches that made the difference. Just ask Seattle.
94chem,
DallasAg 94
94chem said:

it was the defensive inches that made the difference. Just ask Seattle.

"That's what she said."
DallasAg 94
fc2112
It's very easy to say "dominate the fundamentals" - it's much harder to actually do it.

Because it takes time - work - dedication to perfecting your craft

Even though Seager and Semien are earning guaranteed generational money, they are out there taking 500 ground balls every day. Adolis Garcia is wearing out Tony Beasley's fungo bat hitting flies to right and him trying to hit a bucket on home plate. Lowe is digging trenches at first base taking several hundred bad throws at first before every game.

This team's culture of putting the work in is what differentiated them from teams like the one down I-45.
rocky_ag
AG
It will be interesting to see what happens to the outfield in the next 2-3 years. Carter, Taveras, and Garcia all have played solidly, so I am not sure where to put Langford.

No idea how good his defense actually is, but from scouting reports, it seems no where near as good as his offense. Maybe he ends up as more of a DH. Probably will have all four of the outfielders on the roster at some point next year, so we could let them play it out.

Regardless, this is a great problem to have. Outfield was a major concern at the start of the year and now it seems like a strength.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
I think best case is Langford forces his way on the roster this year. Then you have four outfielders rotating between the field and DH (although not sure how often Taveras would DH). You have three guys that can definitely play CF and Langford has played it some. Someone will get hurt at some point in the season as well, so you would be covered for that.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Flounder Dorfman said:

I think best case is Langford forces his way on the roster this year. Then you have four outfielders rotating between the field and DH (although not sure how often Taveras would DH). You have three guys that can definitely play CF and Langford has played it some. Someone will get hurt at some point in the season as well, so you would be covered for that.
I think you resign Jankowski as a veteran defensive outfielder and decent bat.

You then put Duran and Langford on the roster. Need another utility infielder on the 40 in case Jung/Seager go down at same time.

Langford and Carter platoon left field until Carter can figure out how to hit LH pitching. You do this also to get Langford ABs and see how it goes.

If Langford continues to improve and Carter continues his (somewhat unreal) climb... you probably deal Taveras for some nice pieces. Doli is a definite clubhouse leader, gold glover, and MVP type cleanup bat (at times). Hopefully we can negotiate out his remaining ARB years and get him locked in for something reasonable, also given his age. 5-7 years at 12-14 would be awesome. Then your OF is locked up for a long, long time.

Next you look to 1B/DH and catcher (Heim is no spring chicken either).

The rest, is pitching.
fc2112
Can Langford learn to play 1st? How hard can it be?

Flounder Dorfman
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

Flounder Dorfman said:

You then put Duran and Langford on the roster. Need another utility infielder on the 40 in case Jung/Seager go down at same time.

Langford and Carter platoon left field until Carter can figure out how to hit LH pitching. You do this also to get Langford ABs and see how it goes.

If Langford continues to improve and Carter continues his (somewhat unreal) climb... you probably deal Taveras for some nice pieces. Doli is a definite clubhouse leader, gold glover, and MVP type cleanup bat (at times). Hopefully we can negotiate out his remaining ARB years and get him locked in for something reasonable, also given his age. 5-7 years at 12-14 would be awesome. Then your OF is locked up for a long, long time.

The rest, is pitching.

Perfect. I forgot to include Jankowski in that scenario. I'm pretty much using him as part of the roster next year in my mind. He's a great fit for this team. Can play anywhere in the outfield, can come in as PR in late innings, can be disruptive at the plate. And he brings World Series experience.

My little smiley face at the end of that last sentence didn't take.
94chem
Houston probably wouldn't do this due to being bitten by speedy light-hitting OF in the past, but Jankowski would possibly be a good fit for their lineup in LF. They needed an upgrade in team speed, LF, LH pull power, and reduced chase at the bottom of the order. Once you get the black hole out of their 9-spot, I think Jankowski could hit in their 9 hole and hit those RF seats 8 - 10 times per season.

Gambling on him as an everyday player is a big risk, but also a cheap one. My opinion is that he's worth more than Grossman in the right lineup. He's the left-handed Craig Gentry.
94chem,
rocky_ag
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

Flounder Dorfman said:

The rest, is pitching.
This was a thought I had too. Carter has struggled mightily thus far against LHP. Conveniently, Langford bats from the right side. Langford could take a DH/LF platoon role with Carter and get a significant number of PAs.
South Platte
If there were an equal number of LHP and RHP then this makes sense. But there aren't, and that might keep Langford out of the lineup for an entire week.

CY will figure it out. Garcia, Duran, Taveras, Carter, Langford. That's pretty salty for years to come.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
South Platte said:

If there were an equal number of LHP and RHP then this makes sense. But there aren't, and that might keep Langford out of the lineup for an entire week.

CY will figure it out. Garcia, Duran, Taveras, Carter, Langford. That's pretty salty for years to come.

Langford would be your DH when not in the field.
DallasAg 94
Sucks if you are Carlos Correa.

Twins announced scaling back their spending to $125-140M. Between him ($33.3M) and Buxton ($15.1M). That is about 38% of Spend.
DallasAg 94
Flounder Dorfman said:

South Platte said:

Langford would be your DH when not in the field.
But only when Ohtani needs a breather.
Tksymm7
AG
Langford appears to be an absolute STUD, however, I really think they will start him out in AAA and let him get a more significant # of at-bats before a mid-summer call-up.
_lefraud_
AG
Ohtani Sweepstakes:

LA -110
SF +500
SEA +700
NYM +700
NYY +750
TEX +850
BOS +1300
CHC +1500
LAA +1500
First Page Last Page
Page 11 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.