*****Official 2023-2024 Texas Rangers Off-season Thread*****

318,512 Views | 3663 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Some of the Taxes is mitigated based on how States now use work days to capture taxes from visiting players.

81 Home games in LAD or SF
vs
81 Home games in Texas.

Still something.

For the overall discussion, it isn't just what a Team pays him, and what extra revenue he generates for the team, but the additional point is what he generates in Marketing money for HIS brand.

https://www.sportico.com/personalities/athletes/2023/mlb-highest-paid-players-2023-scherzer-judge-ohtani-1234717401/

His LAAA Salary was $30M but he made an additional $40M in endorsements, which is why most people think he'll end up in NY or LA.

They announce AL MVP on the 16th. I think most expect it to go Ohtani-Seager 1-2.

I expect tons of buzz around the Defending WS Champions Texas Rangers. This team so far, looks like it will be even better in 2024. Adding Ohtani would, IMO, give an "inevitability" for the AL Pennant and WS Appearance.

The Dodgers are a team in a bit of uncertainty. Dave Roberts looks to remain with the team for 2024. They are going to spend a ton of money this off-season.

The coverage with Ohtani in the WS with the Rangers would be insane.
Tksymm7
AG
I don't think Ohtani makes it across the Mississippi river. He's staying out of the northeast imo.
sburg2007
https://instagr.am/p/CzMxyRWucVe

Jerseys with sleeve patch. No all-star patch I guess!
94chem
FDXAg said:

My HS daughter's best friend's mom is a chalk artist in Fort Worth. She did this in Dallas this past weekend and I thought y'all would find it pretty cool. Her work is amazing but obviously this is my favorite one I've seen her do so far.

I can't even draw a decent state of Texas. Y'all try doing that freehand sometime. Pretty humiliating.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
cmiller00
AG
Txhuntr said:

cmiller00 said:

Judge got 9 years and I think he's a year older than Ohtani.

Judge also hasn't shown durability issues
True. Until after he signed a 9 year deal ha.
Mr Gigem
AG
Thanks for lunch Astros
AgBQ-00
AG
Thoughts if Rangers pick up Wacha and Stroman?
DallasAg 94
AgBQ-00 said:

Thoughts if Rangers pick up Wacha and Stroman?
All things equal, I think most fans (on here) would like to see the Rangers resign Monty if we sign a SP. I think Wach and Stroman have both been discussed.

Heaney exercised his option, I believe at $13M for 2024, as a result, I'd be surprised if we sign a SP.
AgBQ-00
AG
Would agree that getting Monty back would be huge. Failing that I think I would prefer Wacha over Stroman. But either are takes I believe.
DallasAg 94
As we go through the off-season... one of the things I've mentioned is our P needs to be viewed in terms 1) Can it get you to the post-season and 2) Can it win in the post-season?

I believe what enabled the Rangers in 2023 was the fact we had a ton of SP and then picked up what we thought we needed in the post-season. (GS in 2022)
deGrom, Eovaldi, Heaney, Gray (24), Dunning (29), Perez (32), Otto (27), Hearn (13), Howard (8) and Odorizzi were all in the off-season discussions for rotation. Then, we added Monty and Max.

I think it is generally expected you'll need 8-9 SPs during the season, so while we had 5-6, we added 3 at the Top of the rotation coming into ST. We can debate the quality of SP carried from 2022, but it is what it was.

Our 2024 SP is mind-boggling (positive)...
Eovaldi (33): 25GS, 3.63, 144.0 IP, 132 SO, 1.139 WHIP
Scherzer (38): 8GS, 3.20, 45.0 IP, 53 SO, 0.956 WHIP
Heaney (32): 28GS, 4.15, 147.1 IP, 151 SO, 1.378 WHIP
Dunning (28): 26GS, 3.70, 172.2 IP, 140 SO, 1.263 WHIP
Gray (31): 29GS, 4.12, 157.1 IP, 142 SO, 1.290 WHIP
-
Bradford (25): 8GS, 20G, 5.30, 56.0 IP, 51 SO, 1.214 WHIP
-
Season for Scherzer: 27GS, 3.77, 152.2 IP

We'll return 124 GS from 2023... and if you include 19 more Max had in NYM, you are looking at returning 143 GS. deGrom should return in Aug.

If we happen to get Monty... or another SP... that's incredible.

We'll factor in OWhite, Leiter, et al, to ease in for 2024. They'll get an opportunity to step in when the inevitable blister or nail issue arises.

We were #5 in ERA for SP in 2023, during the regular season:
1. 3.82 Twins
2. 3.85 Jays
3. 3.89 Mariners
4. 3.92 Tampa
5. 3.96 Rangers

Much of that was Stranded Runners that scored on our RPs.

We have a solid foundation for a rotation and SP isn't a need, but getting Monty would be over the top.
Tksymm7
AG
Keep in mind that we probably won't see deGrom until mid-summer at the earliest, and then he'll be on a tight schedule for a month+, so adding someone if we can't get Monty back would be a high priority imo.
94chem
You're going to tell me I'm lying, but I apparently remembered correctly if you check the stats (link below). The 2011 Rangers 5 starters didn't miss a start the entire season. The lowest # of IP was Ogando at 169.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/TEX/2011.shtml
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
_lefraud_
AG
My goodness that bench was just awful.

And CJ needs to write BR about getting his pic changed.

petebaker

Tksymm7
AG
petebaker said:

I think Bochy will finish out his contract with us and then he'll retire for good.
AgBQ-00
AG

Bochy Interview on the Fan
94chem
_lefraud_ said:

My goodness that bench was just awful.

And CJ needs to write BR about getting his pic changed.

Lots of interesting stuff in there. Neftali Feliz only 54 K's in 61 IP. Ultimately that lack of swing and miss in the back end did the team in. How could Darren Oliver and Neftali Feliz have the same strikeout rate???

Uehara became a completely unuseable HR machine. He was the Will Smith of 2011.

Napoli was the man. I had forgotten totally about Yorvit Torealba and Taylor t-sip.

Dutch was a beast. He arrived one year too late - probably could have won it in 2010 if he had been ready.

Colby Lewis 200 IP.
94chem,
DallasAg 94
94chem said:

You're going to tell me I'm lying, but I apparently remembered correctly if you check the stats (link below). The 2011 Rangers 5 starters didn't miss a start the entire season. The lowest # of IP was Ogando at 169.

I wouldn't have said you were lying... but technically they did. Going into the playoffs, Ogando and a couple others got skipped to rest before the post season.

I think that was a key reasons we made the playoffs in 2011 ... lack of injury in the rotation.

94chem
...and I can talk about this stuff now without feeling my insides bleed.
94chem,
94chem
DallasAg 94 said:

94chem said:

I wouldn't have said you were lying... but technically they did. Going into the playoffs, Ogando and a couple others got skipped to rest before the post season.

I think that was a key reasons we made the playoffs in 2011 ... lack of injury in the rotation.

Probably "they didn't miss a SCHEDULED start." Nobody was scratched.
94chem,
South Platte
Tksymm7 said:

petebaker said:

I think Bochy will finish out his contract with us and then he'll retire for good.
Extend him now with Jimbo-like fervor. I don't care if he needs to take a Lark to the mound for a visit.
fc2112
I think Bochy's three year commit is what kept Will Venable here.

He is the manager in waiting.
DallasAg 94
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/11/rangers-do-not-extend-qualifying-offer-to-mitch-garver.html
AgBQ-00
AG
CY interview on the Fan
caleblyn
Garver not getting QO was a little expected, but also would not have been surprised if the Rangers had offered.
DallasAg 94
Let FA begin.

I think the Rangers have 34 now on the 40?!

November 14th is the deadline for the Rule V. We'll likely see some additions between now and then.
South Platte
DallasAg 94 said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/11/rangers-do-not-extend-qualifying-offer-to-mitch-garver.html

If we did, it would have been 1 year ~ $20m, correct?
KT 90
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Didn't somebody post on here recently that a QO is ~$20M/yr? That seems like a lot for a DH/backup catcher with a history of injury issues. I don't have an issue with this, but it also means we don't get draft pick compensation (I believe... rules keep changing) if he signs elsewhere.

fc2112
Yeah, it would have been in the $20 MM ballpark. Will be interesting to watch this develop.
Tksymm7
AG
Signing a DH, backup catcher, and starting pitcher are the three areas for me. Hoping Monty of course, but don't really have a clue about backup C or DH.
DallasAg 94
All correct.

No compensation if he signs elsewhere.
Not worth $20M.

It will be interesting to see what he gets. Even if he is "worth" 1yr/$20M, by not offering, it means a signing team won't have to forfeit a pick in signing him, which IMO, could be a benefit/favor for him.

A few years ago QO, IIRC, made it difficult for players because the signing team had to decide if signing the player was worth losing a pick.
topoftexasag
AG
Previous offseason years were so much easier for me to view every deal as purely business, now I have emotions attached to players from this special year and it makes looking at these decisions much more difficult.
AgBQ-00
AG
A bit off topic but I cannot find anything definitive. When do the A's start playing in Vegas. I've seen they expect the new stadium by 27, but I thought they were starting play there earlier in a temp stadium.
Water Boy
AG
World Champion Austin Hedges is available as a catcher.
DallasAg 94
Tksymm7 said:

Signing a DH, backup catcher, and starting pitcher are the three areas for me. Hoping Monty of course, but don't really have a clue about backup C or DH.
First Page Last Page
Page 8 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.