*****Official 2023-2024 Texas Rangers Off-season Thread*****

318,449 Views | 3663 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
One last post...

For those interested in what a 2024 lineup might look like with Ohtani?!

1. Carter (L-LF): .306, 5 HR, 3 SB, 23 G
2. Semien (R-2B): .276, 29 HR, 14 SB, 162 G - AS, GG Finalist
3. Seager (L-SS): .327, 33 HR, 2 SB, 119 G - AS, GG Finalist
4. Adolis (R-RF): .245, 39 HR, 9 SB, 148 G - AS, Gold Glove
5. Ohtani (L-DH): .304, 44 HR, 20 SB, 135 G - AS, 2023 MVP?
6. Jung (R-3B): .266, 23 HR, 1 SB, 122 G - AS
7. Heim (S-C): .258, 18 HR, 2 SB, 141 G - AS, Gold Glove
8. Lowe (L-1B): .262, 17 HR, 1 SB, 161 G - Gold Glove
9. Taveras (S-CF): .266, 14 HR, 14 SB, 143 G

Your Top 5 in the lineup would all have 6 letters in their last name. Chew on that.
94chem
Longhorns won. Aggies lost. Cowboys lost. All in all, it's been the best week ever!!!!!!!!
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
bmac_aggie18
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

One last post...

Your Top 5 in the lineup would all have 6 letters in their last name. Chew on that.

If we had Ohtani and paid that much for him, you think he'd bat as low as 5? Think it would have to be 2-3 hole to maximize the AB's
Cappo
AG
bmac_aggie18 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

One last post...

If we had Ohtani and paid that much for him, you think he'd bat as low as 5? Think it would have to be 2-3 hole to maximize the AB's
he'd definitely bad 2-3 probably 3
gigem1223
Sign Ohtani, Monty, Hader. Platoon Carter/ Langford. Profit

Or sign Ohtani and Yamamoto and become the Japanese rangers. $$$
KNM2020
AG
Cappo said:

bmac_aggie18 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

One last post...

he'd definitely bad 2-3 probably 3

I think Seager stays in the 2 hole as well. Semien probably stays at 1. I would imagine something like this for next year:

1. Semien
2. Seager
3. Ohtani
4. Adolis
5. Carter
6. Jung
7. Heim
8. Lowe
9. Taveras

But with Boch, the lineup could likely move around some
Coppell97
AG
1. Semien
2. Seager
3. Ohtani
4. Adolis
5. Carter
6. Langford
7. Jung
8. Heim
9. Lowe

What about Langford.
South Platte
If we make any huge free agent signing it better be a healthy starting pitcher. I think using a ton of resources to get Hader is a waste. What role would he serve? We have a closer and an 8th inning guy in Sborz. So we're paying Hader a pile of cash for the 7th inning? What message does that send to Leclerq and Sborz to move them down the chain for some guy that hasn't pitched that well in the playoffs?

Go sign Neris to be 7th inning guy and Montgomery and be done with it. Bradford is solid out of pen, as is either Heaney, Dunning, or Gray, whoever isn't the 4th and 5th starter.
gigem1223
South Platte said:

If we make any huge free agent signing it better be a healthy starting pitcher. I think using a ton of resources to get Hader is a waste. What role would he serve? We have a closer and an 8th inning guy in Sborz. So we're paying Hader a pile of cash for the 7th inning? What message does that send to Leclerq and Sborz to move them down the chain for some guy that hasn't pitched that well in the playoffs?

Go sign Neris to be 7th inning guy and Montgomery and be done with it. Bradford is solid out of pen, as is either Heaney, Dunning, or Gray, whoever isn't the 4th and 5th starter.

You're telling me you wouldn't sign Hader because of the message it's send to LeClerc or Sborz? 2 guys who had very up and down seasons. You're talking like we're playing 162 postseason games here. This team need bullpen help. Why not get the best one out there? Hader is one of the best closers in the game. You sign him if possible.
DallasAg 94
South Platte said:

Who would your replace in the rotation? I didn't see your comments.

Heaney ($13M) and Gray ($13M) would send the same message and neither of them want to be RPs. Will they function there, if necessary. But, that is a waste. Trade them if you don't want them in the rotation.

Sborz and Leclerc are both RH, while Hader is LH. He replaces Chapman, but with more confidence and sucess. We don't have anyone like Hader.

Hader (L): 61G, 1.28 ERA, 56.1 IP, 85 SO, 1.101 WHIP

7th: Sborz - 5.50 ERA, however we all agree that is skewed.
8th: Hader
9th: Leclerc - 2.68 ERA

Those 3 could make it a 6 Inning game.
South Platte
gigem1223 said:

South Platte said:

You're telling me you wouldn't sign Hader because of the message it's send to LeClerc or Sborz? 2 guys who had very up and down seasons. You're talking like we're playing 162 postseason games here. This team need bullpen help. Why not get the best one out there? Hader is one of the best closers in the game. You sign him if possible.
That's exactly what I'm saying. When healthy, both of those guys were really, really good. We won the series because of them, not in spite of them. Our bullpen got us over the hump. Add a couple really strong 6th and 7th inning guys

CY and Bochy will earn there money this off-season trying to figure out how to improve a team that just won the title without telling the players that accomplished the feat they aren't good enough to keep their position next year. Culture matters.
South Platte
DallasAg 94 said:

We don't have anyone like Hader.

7th: Sborz - 5.50 ERA, however we all agree that is skewed.
8th: Hader
9th: Leclerc - 2.68 ERA

Those 3 could make it a 6 Inning game.
True, we don't have anyone like Hader.

So Hader's been a premier closer for 5+ seasons and he would be willing to take an 8th inning role? We're going to pay him $20M/year to be the 8th inning guy? He won't come for less.

As far as the rotation, I meant Montgomery. If he leaves, sign someone similar to him. That's where the money should go.
gigem1223
South Platte said:

gigem1223 said:

South Platte said:

That's exactly what I'm saying. When healthy, both of those guys were really, really good. We won the series because of them, not in spite of them. Our bullpen got us over the hump. Add a couple really strong 6th and 7th inning guys

CY and Bochy will earn there money this off-season trying to figure out how to improve a team that just won the title without telling the players that accomplished the feat they aren't good enough to keep their position next year. Culture matters.

I'm as big a fan of Sborz and LeClerc as anyone, my post history will prove that throughout the season. But I think you're suffering from some regency bias here. He wouldn't be taking an 8th inning role here. He signs as closer day one. Neither LeClerc or Sborz are close to Hader and I'm sure they're both completely fine with that.
fc2112
If we only did one thing in this off season, I hold that signing Hader would be that which helps this team the most.
Water Boy
AG
You guys realize that in the regular season we play almost every day? You think we will throw the same 2 guys in the 8th and 9th for every game? We most definitely need a few more bullpen arms.
94chem
Water Boy said:

You guys realize that in the regular season we play almost every day? You think we will throw the same 2 guys in the 8th and 9th for every game? We most definitely need a few more bullpen arms.

The Bobby Thigpen 56 save days are over. In an ideal situation, you'd have 2 shifts of 7/8/9 inning arms. With Hader last season, we win the West by 5 games. (I know, that turned out to not be a good thing, but ykwim)

And as spotty as Chapman was, don't forget that he got some really big outs that only he could have gotten.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
DannyDuberstein
AG
The best ability is availability. That's why I'm a hard no on Ohtani but love Monty.

And the pen needs serious investment.
FireAg
AG
If you sign Ohtani, I would only value him as a DH right now…if he becomes a stud P again, yay…. If not, we'll he's being paid as a DH…

Maybe he's hit with incentives for pitching that lower the overall base price but can create huge bonuses later? I could live with that…

I am not paying him as a #1 P though…no way in hell…
94chem
No on Ohtani. When he gets hurt, you lose 2 All-Stars. And compare the injury rate of pitchers to position players. You exponentially decrease the odds of availability while increasing the salary. Bad economics.
94chem,
DallasAg 94
5pm ET is the deadline for QOs.

We should know today his status.
Tksymm7
AG
FireAg said:

If you sign Ohtani, I would only value him as a DH right now…if he becomes a stud P again, yay…. If not, we'll he's being paid as a DH…

Maybe he's hit with incentives for pitching that lower the overall base price but can create huge bonuses later? I could live with that…

I am not paying him as a #1 P though…no way in hell…
This is what I think his contract will look like. He's an all-timer at the plate, but his career has been up and down on the mound and he's going through TJ #2. Pay him 30-35 million or so just as a DH, then attach significant bonuses and incentives for pitching.
Water Boy
AG
I expect Ohtani to get 10 years 450 million at a minimum. We can debate all day if he's worth it but he's the biggest superstar in the game and will generate a lot of new business for any team he plays for. Some team will pay the big guaranteed money whether you agree with it or not.
Txhuntr
AG
cmiller00 said:

Judge got 9 years and I think he's a year older than Ohtani.

Judge also hasn't shown durability issues
ElephantRider
AG
Do we throw our hat in the ring for Yamamoto?
Tksymm7
AG
Judge does have durability issues, his injuries just aren't career altering. Judge misses time every year for a bum ankle, bad hammy, or oblique, whereas Ohtani is going on his second TJ, he's has multiple UCL sprains, ankle and knee surgery. I do think Judge has had at least one surgery, but nothing like Ohtani.
ElephantRider
AG
As others have said, I would just have a hard time paying Ohtani for his pitching. Would absolutely take him as a DH if he were paid accordingly
FireAg
AG
ElephantRider said:

Do we throw our hat in the ring for Yamamoto?

I honestly don't know the answer to this, but how many of these superstar Japanese pitchers have come over here and eventually require TJ surgery and/or had overall durability issues long term?
rocky_ag
AG
Water Boy said:

I expect Ohtani to get 10 years 450 million at a minimum. We can debate all day if he's worth it but he's the biggest superstar in the game and will generate a lot of new business for any team he plays for. Some team will pay the big guaranteed money whether you agree with it or not.
That is the thing with Ohtani. You can't just look at what he's going to be paid and say it isn't worth it. I can't remember where, but saw some estimate that he generates $12-$15 million per year in marketing value alone for his team. So if you are paying him $45 million per year, really it is more like $30 million per year with the value his name alone will generate. He is worth that as a hitter, not even considering the pitching. Because of that and the Rangers' need for a solid DH, I could see the Rangers making a run.

Could layer in incentives that knock up the salary based on the number of starts he makes or total innings pitched.

Another thing to consider is taxes. The three rumored favorites are the Dodgers, Giants, and Rangers. In Texas, he would have to pay no additional state income tax. In California, he would have to pay a 12.3% state income tax. That is huge. That means the Giants and Dodgers would have to offer substantially more to Ohtani for their offer to equal the after-tax pay of any Texas offer.

Water Boy
AG
I agree with the additional revenue aspect. Ohtani is one of those generational superstars of the sport. Ohtani to Texas would generate more buzz than us winning the World Series. And I always think of the taxes aspect but some athletes don't care about that. Not sure how Ohtani feels but some guys rather play in other places solely because their contract looks bigger to the public even though they are making significantly less if they had taken an offer from Texas or Florida. Never understood that. Ego I guess.
ChoppinDs40
AG
We have such a larger advantage than years passed.

80+ games a year indoors, in the AC, with awesome facilities and coaching.
KT 90
AG
Water Boy said:

So you are saying he will re-sign with the Angels for record setting money ?
Flounder Dorfman
AG
Well the other part of the equation when it comes to playing in a certain area despite higher taxes is exposure. If you play in LA or NYC, you'll have more of a national presence and the endorsement deals get bigger.

But then take DFW which already gives national exposure for the football team and has one of the most recognizable players in the NBA. Ohtani wants to play for a winner and this team won it all last week. Throw in facilities and coaching staff and everything else and I can see why he would be interested.
AgBQ-00
AG
I really think what we see this offseason is the front office to spend to solidify glaring weak spots. and then rely on minor league promotions and trades to address what arises during the season. My expectation is bullpen help. Probably splash signings there. We will probably lock up key arb players and then see if we can load more pitching via under the radar F/A or trade.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
And for the record, I don't really want to see us sign Ohtani. He is absolutely an amazing talent but for that amount of money I would rather use it towards Montgomery, Garver and bullpen help.
FDXAg
AG
My HS daughter's best friend's mom is a chalk artist in Fort Worth. She did this in Dallas this past weekend and I thought y'all would find it pretty cool. Her work is amazing but obviously this is my favorite one I've seen her do so far.

First Page Last Page
Page 7 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.