*****Official 2023-2024 Texas Rangers Off-season Thread*****

318,605 Views | 3663 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
South Platte said:

investorAg83 said:

fc2112 said:

I think Duran is another guy with no place on this team.

I think his positional flexibility alone guarantees him a spot on this team.
Sheesh. We just had the parade. Duran has no place on this team? Hopefully Texas can avoid writing off a 24 year old athletic freak just because Evan Carter had the greatest rookie 2 month splash in the history of MLB.

If this organization doesn't give Duran a couple of years to develop that would be a crime. Same with Taveras.

I think he may have meant there isn't a starting spot.

Like Heaney, I think he has more value to another team than he has to Texas.

If you look at Duran's D positions... he spent equal time in LF, 3B, SS, and DH. To have that versatility is great, but if teams saw him as their everyday SS... like IKF was seen... teams might be willing to part with something big in a trade.
Water Boy
AG
More hyped for the mlb off-season than Aggie football. Thanks Jimbo!
ElephantRider
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

If you were listening to The Fan, this morning... you were treated to the Great Randy Galloway.

And he laid a turd all over JDaniels.

"How much credit do you give JD?"

RG: "None. He is the only manager to keep his job for 6 straight losing seasons."

He backtracked a bit and said ok a little. He basically said that JD was so bad long enough that someone in the organization was bound to draft a good player or two and pick up a couple players off the trash heap.

Also said JD would never have hired Bochy.

He said he hired Wash because he thought he could control Wash and that Wash tricked him by actually managing the team.

RG basically said he knew CY when he was a player and that he hired baseball people to run the team. Said JD would have hired another Manger we never heard if so he could control the manager.

That's why RG was so awesome. Never seen a Columnist (retired) with such vitriol for a FO guy.

I miss Galloway
DannyDuberstein
AG
Invest in the pen. Get a starter (resigning Monty while Perez walks seems like a good option). Then roll this MFer back for a repeat
AgBQ-00
AG

Here is the interview. Was good to hear him
Water Boy
AG
Bellinger is now a free agent.
Cappo
AG
LET'S GOOOOOOO REPEAT
KNM2020
AG
Water Boy said:

Give me Blake snell and Hader
91AggieLawyer
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

If you were listening to The Fan, this morning... you were treated to the Great Randy Galloway.

And he laid a turd all over JDaniels.

"How much credit do you give JD?"

RG: "None. He is the only manager to keep his job for 6 straight losing seasons."

He backtracked a bit and said ok a little. He basically said that JD was so bad long enough that someone in the organization was bound to draft a good player or two and pick up a couple players off the trash heap.

Also said JD would never have hired Bochy.

He said he hired Wash because he thought he could control Wash and that Wash tricked him by actually managing the team.

RG basically said he knew CY when he was a player and that he hired baseball people to run the team. Said JD would have hired another Manger we never heard if so he could control the manager.

That's why RG was so awesome. Never seen a Columnist (retired) with such vitriol for a FO guy.

I don't agree with much of this. JD built the team that got us to the first couple of series. Bannister wasn't horrible as he won 2 division titles and AL manager of the year, something Wash never did (MOY).

I read/listened to RG a lot over the last 40-ish years. He spouts a lot of popular opinions so people would read his column or listen to his radio show. Dissing JD was the epitome of a popular opinion. Not saying that JD didn't have faults, but you can't totally ignore the guy when talking the Rangers. The only asset the Rangers had before JD was the stadium. That's it. No farm system to speak of and pretty much a joke of a franchise with 3 playoff appearances and only 1 win among those. Hell, they actually made the Asstros look as good as their fans THINK they are (now) at that time (then). While JD had a lot of help, he also had a lot to do with the club becoming a solid franchise capable of winning a title in the last 2 decades, something almost unheard of before that.

I wouldn't be surprised if it got to where JD didn't take Galloway seriously as a SPORTS guy (as opposed to an entertainment guy) and that really pissed off Galloway. Hence, that explains this stuff here. I don't think the facts explain it, but I guess its all debatable.
gigem1223
Top priorities for me are:

1. Re-sign Monty
2. Need a bottom half of the bullpen enema. Signing Hader would go a long ways. Having Sborzy, LeClerc, and Hader would be pretty salty to close out games but we need more bottom depth.
3. Would love a team friendly deal from Garv sauce and Janko but have a feeling that's not gonna happen with the depth we have coming up (JPM, Huff, Langford, Foscue).

CrottyKid
AG
Water Boy said:

OF help, DH help, 1B help
bdp514am
Kennedy took his lumps and ate some innings when the team was going badly. I respect that
bdp514am
Monty and maddux seem like a good combo
CuriousAg
Word on the street is Kershaw was going to retire after this season or come to Texas. He is from here and lives here in off-season so I know this is highly likely.

Not liking the surgery aspect, but could you imagine if we had DeGrom, Scherzer and Kershaw on our roster. Along with our current setup… I'd cheese myself.
MrCoachEricTaylor
I don't get the vitriol over Duran, he still pretty young and this was his first whole season in the league. He was very productive for an extended amount of time and is incredibly versatile. That's someone you keep on you're bench as a utility guy, especially when your 3B and SS have shown to be injury prone over time.
MrCoachEricTaylor
The BP needs to be the first concern, you turn everyone loose except Leclerc, Sborz, MAYBE Chap depending on what his asking price is, then hit the market hard.
fc2112
There is no vitriol about Duran on my part. It's just that he is a MLB ready SS in an organization with future first ballot Hall of Famer in his prime at that spot.

Duran is blocked right now. Yes, you could keep him as a backup. But there are teams out there dying for a MLB SS that would give up tremendous riches for one.

Don't assume those of us who want to trade him for something like a closer, utility infielder and two high ranked prospects feel "vitriol" towards him.
FireAg
AG
Pretty cool…but I still want him DFA'd last week…
FireAg
AG
I want Monty, Heaney and Garver back…would entertain Janko at the right price…
DallasAg 94
FWIW...

Stroman just walked (opted out) from his remaining 1yr/$21M

Stroman (32-RHP): 25GS, 27G, 3.95 ERA, 136.2 IP, 119 SO, 52 BB, 1.259
Heaney (32-LHP): 28GS, 34G, 4.15 ERA, 147.1 IP, 151 SO, 60 BB, 1.378
--- Postseason: 3GS, 5G, 4.09 ERA< 11.0 IP, 4 SO, 4 BB

I'm guessing Stroman knows he'll get a multi-year deal and I think Heaney's agent likely has a similar expectation.

Heaney in a multi-year $20M+ deal is beyond what our need, IMO. I'd rather that money go elsewhere. Like Monty. Even if we don't sign a SP, I think we're fine.

Eovaldi, Scherzer, Gray, Dunning, <Bradford, OWhite, Leiter, Other>

Dunning (28): 26GS, 3.70 ERA, 1.263 WHIP, 172.2 IP, 140 SO

He outperformed Gray and Heaney in 2023.
fc2112
No way I'm giving Heaney $20 MM + for 3+ years.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

FWIW...

Stroman just walked (opted out) from his remaining 1yr/$21M

Stroman (32-RHP): 25GS, 27G, 3.95 ERA, 136.2 IP, 119 SO, 52 BB, 1.259
Heaney (32-LHP): 28GS, 34G, 4.15 ERA, 147.1 IP, 151 SO, 60 BB, 1.378
--- Postseason: 3GS, 5G, 4.09 ERA< 11.0 IP, 4 SO, 4 BB

I'm guessing Stroman knows he'll get a multi-year deal and I think Heaney's agent likely has a similar expectation.

Heaney in a multi-year $20M+ deal is beyond what our need, IMO. I'd rather that money go elsewhere. Like Monty. Even if we don't sign a SP, I think we're fine.

Eovaldi, Scherzer, Gray, Dunning, <Bradford, OWhite, Leiter, Other>

Dunning (28): 26GS, 3.70 ERA, 1.263 WHIP, 172.2 IP, 140 SO

He outperformed Gray and Heaney in 2023.
This is my opinion, but I doubt we'll get more than 100 innings out of Scherzer. He can't seem to stay healthy so that is 20 starts at 5 innings each. A .500 record gets us 10 wins out of Scherzer. I think that is his ceiling next year. I'm glad were not paying his full salary next year.

The guy is a future HOF but this is the backend of his career. Not saying we need to dump him but he'll likely have 1 bad start for every good one.

Edit: I made my post without researching. Scherzer has averaged 158 inning per season the last 3 years so I'll up my estimate to 125 innings. I still don't see him going past 5 innings most starts. If he can stake us to a lead in 5 innings, I'll take my chances with the bullpen.
Double Talkin' Jive...
Water Boy
AG
I know they would never do this but I wouldn't mind throwing mad max 3-4 innings on a bullpen game and then after the all star break slowly get him back up to throw 5 innings on a normal rotation. This could help with his dead arm at the end of a season and have him ready for the playoffs.
DallasAg 94
Max's back issue, I've mentioned, is concerning if it wasn't a product of getting hit by the ball.

I've mentioned concerns about wear and tear from the long post-season.

I'd like to see the Rangers sign Montgomery.

Start with a 6-Man rotation for 6-8 weeks if everyone is healthy.
Eovaldi, Monty, Gray, Dunning, Scherzer+OWhite, Bradford

Then tighten it up to a 5Man rotation. Somebody will have a blister or strain and need a IL stint. If not, decide what you have. If OWhite or Bradford show quality, it could be an opportunity to trade a guy like Gray or Dunning. If OW and Bradford struggle, move them to the BP or send them down and rotation in someone else.

Extra day of rest should allow SPs to go deeper, if they are doing well.

By the ASB, we are better positioned to get to the trade deadline.

I don't think Scherzer wants any part of coming out of the BP. He is known for being a locked-and-focused pitcher on days he GS and is considered a completely different person that day.

Winning the WS gives us the ease to be creative. If Scherzer only pitches the last half of the season, and HoF quality for the post-season... fine by me.
DannyDuberstein
AG
DeGrom is your trade deadline add

I take calls on Duran, but you have an injury prone 3B, a SS that misses time too, and a 34 year old 2B. It would need to be a really good offer for me to give him up. Played 120 games this year.

They had some guys throw a lot of innings this year, so a 6 man rotation and some short starts sounds like a good way to handle next year. They are gonna need a lot of bodies that can get outs
birdman
Dodgers were a potential landing spot for Montgomery. With the announcement of Kershaw's surgery, LA will be coming after Monty big time.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Hoping the Dodgers get dazzled chasing Ohtani. Monty is only 30, has been cranking out 30+ starts per year. I do what it takes to get him back.
MrCoachEricTaylor
Hell yeah, go Rangers!
Danny Vermin
Ray Davis can afford him no problem. I'm hoping he opens the wallet again and I think he will.
Water Boy
AG
Would Monty take a 3 year 60 million dollar contract or too low?
Danny Vermin
He's going to want 5 years I'm sure.
AgBQ-00
AG
When does free agency officially open?

Any interest in Stroman?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
It's open now, but nobody can sign until five days after the last game unless it is with the team they were already with. I think.
Slided bread
AG
Well here we go
agent-maroon
AG
It'll be the Dodgers or Giants.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
First Page Last Page
Page 4 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.