Are Astros and Rangers rivals?

6,396 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by Grapesoda2525
Conchovalleyag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Astros fan here…I've really enjoyed the blossoming rivalry between the Astros and Rangers especially this season.

So curious if we are rivals should Astros fans be rooting for the Rangers?
I find it hard to imagine like Red Sox fans pulling for the Yankees or Giants for the Dodgers or vice versa…
Thoughts? Rangers fans IF the Stros had won game seven would you have rooted for them in the World Series?
Ag_07
AG
Proposition Joe
I think it could develop into a good rivalry, but until this year for the most part the Rangers sucked when Houston was good and Houston sucked when Rangers were good.

Need both teams competing for a division regularly to create a real rivalry.
The Shank Ag
As a Ranger fan, I do consider the Astro's our main rival since they moved to the AL.

For a while it was always the Angels or Mariners.

When I think of rivals, I think of the teams you most want to beat, and teams it hurts to lose to.

Over time that's been several, or teams with players i really disliked.

-In the 90s and early 00s, it was the yankees
-In the late 00s it was the Angels/Mariners
-In the 2010s its been the Astros

*Born in 87 and started watching the Rangers as a 5 or 6 year old.
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
Brother there is a post 4 rows down from this with 3 thousand comments in it titled "Astros-Rangers trash talk thread". The answer is a resounding yes.
Pigeon88
AG
I would consider it a blossoming rivalry. And no, I would not have been cheering for the Astros. Not because of the rivalry, but because when I don't have a dog in the fight, my natural inclination is to root for the underdog.
LarryElder
DFW aggies are the reaosn we are bad at football they are holding us back
Texaggie7nine
Obviously it's a rivalry, one that has grown past Astros/Yanks one of recent as a true rivalry requires swings in which team takes the pennant. Hopefully the media can invest something close to the amount of coverage they give to Yanks/RedSox for the boot series going forward.
7nine
cr06gis
AG
Whether it has or hasn't in the past, I would definitely consider it one now.

I know I cant speak for all Rangers fans, but before the Astros came over to the AL I never had any hostility toward them. Hell, they were my "NL team" and rooted hard for them in the '05 postseason. Even during the Rangers dominance/Astros dominance eras I didn't really care.

After this season and ALCS with all the emotion from the teams/fanbases, it has to be a rivalry.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Even now, most interactions I have with rangers fan are cordial, if few. Every fanbase hates the astros, you have to be a really big POS to register on the radar. Yankees, Dodgers, Mariners take up alot of hate and are trash ass fansbases. Rangers fans just arent that big of POS in my experience.

If we have more series like we just had, and both teams stay competitive, sure- could be. Historically, I dislike cardinals, braves more.
frenchtoast
Of course it's a rivalry. I want Houston to lose every game (with possible exception of when they play Seattle). The Astros fans that say they're pulling for the Rangers are not being completely honest with themselves.
DallasAg 94
Lesson is over. Game time.
agproducer
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Astros are likely going to tumble in 2024... likely won't make the post-season and some how play victim.
Not make the postseason in 2024? C'mon, man. Take off your Rangers-colored glasses. The Astros team was unhealthy for most of the year. The pitching was worn out from year after year going deep in the playoffs -- AND they still pushed the Rangers to 7 games in their 7th straight ALCS.

They are returning most of the players they had this year, and they're going to get pitching help back.

To make that claim is just wrong.

Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
agproducer said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Astros are likely going to tumble in 2024... likely won't make the post-season and some how play victim.
Not make the postseason in 2024? C'mon, man. Take off your Rangers-colored glasses. The Astros team was unhealthy for most of the year. The pitching was worn out from year after year going deep in the playoffs -- AND they still pushed the Rangers to 7 games in their 7th straight ALCS.

They are returning most of the players they had this year, and they're going to get pitching help back.

playing in their 7th consecutive ALCS
DallasAg 94
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
agproducer said:

DallasAg 94 said:

That's a new one. "Pitching was tired from the previous playoffs"
PatriotAg02
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

agproducer said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Yeah no offseason between has really taken it's toll.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
frenchtoast said:

The Astros fans that say they're pulling for the Rangers are not being completely honest with themselves.
I honestly wouldn't care who won the WS if Brent Stromm wasn't a pitching coach for the d backs. I may have pulled for the rangers if they were playing the phillies.
JohnnyTexAg1995
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

agproducer said:

DallasAg 94 said:

I mean between playing into November last season and then the world baseball classic and right into the season, I would say yeah it probably did take a toll. Not just on Houston but on several arms from deep playoff teams in similar situation with the WBC
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
i think everyone has picked the mariners to finish above the astros for going on 4 years now. Im worried about next season like I am every year that wasnt 2019, but this ****ty roster just finished with the exact same record as the team youre positive will play in the post season next year.
DallasAg 94
esd19
AG
Message board trash talk =\= on-field rivalry.

The vast majority of meatheads on this board only care about Astros vs. Rangers as another vehicle to perpetuate the incredibly stupid, pointless & never-ending Houston vs. DFW smack. Evidently, some of y'all never got past freshman year at A&M.

That said, I do love a good rivalry & trashing talk is pretty fun when both teams are good. To answer OP's question, we're gonna need more than one season of data points to consider this a legitimate rivalry. As an Astros fan, this is the first season I've had any disliking towards the rangers. And yes, they earned the AL pennant.

The Astros real rival in this golden era is the Yankees, the team they've faced & beaten in 3 of the last 7 LCS, and the opponent who was most impacted by the scandal. Most Astros fans I know dislike them more than any other club, and the reciprocal sentiment from Yankees fans is feeling robbed of a chance at a WS title.

Despite the deeply engrained victimhood mentality engrained among the Arlington fans on this site, the Astros scandal impacted their noncompetitive, sub-.500 club not one iota. It really is an irrelevant thing for them to cry about.

TLDR: You limp wristed, frappuccino drinking Arlington fans can talk shlt in 6 years after your 7th straight LCS appearances, 4 WS appearances & two titles. Your boo-hooing about those "mean ol arrogant Astros" is a weak look. I welcome the growth of this budding rivalry as both teams will be decent for the foreseeable future.
KCup17
AG
Well this is going to devolve into a heated discussion about why the one side hates the other while the other side doesn't care…
The Shank Ag
Again, as a Rangers fan I'll probably take some crap for this from other Rangers fans.

The cheating stuff has gotten stale. Its been more than enough time, with enough turnover all over the organization, that those claims are no longer relevant for the current Astros franchise.

That said, I think the biggest reasons it is still brought up again by fans of all teams across the MLB is 2 fold.

1. While the organization did make moves in the aftermath, there wasn't just a ton said about it. Some players made prepared statements. Some did speak off the cuff. But, from my view, most Astros fans took a route that wasn't the greatest in many fans' eyes. They overwhelming sentiment I witnessed was, "Doesn't matter, still won" or "It didn't make a difference anyway, look at the record at home vs the road" or "Every team cheats". When caught red handed, that puts a sour taste into a ton of people's mouths that aren't fans of the team, ala Bellichek and Brady with deflategate and videogate. I would have had a lot more respect for the Astros fans at the time had they had a little more disgust and disappointment in their franchise. I get it, never apologize for winning, but there seems like there could have been a little more to say about it all from several levels from executives down to fans.

2. The vast majority of MLB fans don't follow daily. They don't see the growth of young players into team leaders and contributors. They don't know who left the team or joined the team in any given year. They don't know what is or isn't relevant from a historical standpoint to a status quo. I think in "Friends" there was the term from Rachel about Ross, "Once a cheater, always a cheater" and a ton of people live by that same sentiment. Time heels all, as we can see by all the love given to Brady since deflate gate, but that time for some of the general MLB fans hasn't been long enough yet. Add in the fact that some may have Astros fatigue with the length of their dominance of the AL/MLB and that furthers disdain.

fullback44
AG
I grew up near San Antonio, I never saw Astros and Rangers as rivals, I'm an Astros fan because I have lived in Htown for a long time now. I don't see the Rangers as a rival.. not sure why but they don't bother me one bit. Htown has got to where we are on our own, Rangers can get there to on their own, not a big deal, won't lose 10 seconds of sleep thinking about it. I wish the Rangers good look against the Snakes
KCup17
AG
I hope they get a good look at the Dbacks hoisting the WS trophy
esd19
AG
You claim to not care about "Houston or the Astros," but your 5 posts on this one page thread say otherwise.

Which one of you Houstonians stole this dude's date to midnight yell?
Carlo4
AG
Do we play for a silver boot trophy every year? Yes

By that distinction, we are college rivals.
Lobster Twins
AG
Quote:

Rangers fans IF the Stros had won game seven would you have rooted for them in the World Series?
Only if I wanted my new mattress to be FREE...FREE...FREE!
CoachRTM
AG
Pro sports are way different than college sports.

As an Astros fan, I truly hope my many friends that are Rangers fans get to experience winning a WS this year.
MooreTrucker
AG
To me, only a rival in the sense that both are in the same division right now. Similar to the Cowboys and PHI/WASH/NYG. Not nearly like A&M/tu at all.
agproducer
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

agproducer said:

DallasAg 94 said:

So tired of the "injury" excuse from the Astros. We had 5 of our 6 All-Stars on the IL at the same time mid-season. None of us cried boohoo... it is a fact of baseball.

I tracked the rotations all summer. I predicted the Astros rotation would wear down. Not because of year-afte-year.
Javier: 162.0 IP ('23), 148.2 IP (.22), 101.1 IP ('21), 54.1 IP ('20)
Framber: 198.0 ('23), 201.1 ('22), 134.2 ('21), 70.2 ('20)
Verlander: 162.1 ('23), 175.0 ('22), 0.0 ('21), 6.0 ('20)
Brown: 155.2 ('23), 20.1 ('22), 0.0 ('21)
Urquidy: 63.0 ('23), 164.1 ('22), 107.0 ('21), 29.2 ('20)
France: 136.1 ('23), 0.0 ('22)

Javier, Brown and France all had career-highs in innings.

Framber jumped from 134 to over 200 in '22, then nearly 200 in '23.

That is a big jump for young arms. But they did wear down.

Add 97 postseason games since 2017, that's a lot of additional mileage along with a month less of rest each year. They've played 60% of a full season in postseason games since 2017.

In addition, Urquidy, Garcia and Javier pitched in the WBC.

Injuries are a big part of baseball. Astros lost Altuve for two months, Urquidy for about 2 months, Garcia for the season, LMJ for the season, Yordan only played in 114 games, Brantley played in only 15 games. Those are big pieces to be gone.

For your Rangers all-star injury claims -- the one with the fewest games played was Seager with 119 games. That's more than Yordan (114) and Altuve (90).

For pitching, Perez was the only Rangers SP in the WBC.

Since you are a "real" baseball fan, take a look at the numbers. I'm not taking anything away from what the Rangers have done. I'm just saying that we need to be real about things.

Jughead86
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

There is a reason Rangers fans want a Ban warning for Astros fans on our Season thread. We'd rather not deal with them, than engage them. They come in the place like Cousin Eddie, trash the place, and leave their crap and mess all over the place for us to sweep away.

HTH.
That's called Seagull Management …

Fly in, sh*t all over everything and fly out
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.