***Official Houston Astros 2023-24 Offseason Thread*** [Staff Warning - OP]

935,247 Views | 11245 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Lonestar_Ag09
linkdude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Effectively Wild is still my standby, but I like Baseball Is Dead, too. Rates and Barrels is good for fantasy baseball players.
The Porkchop Express
AG
tjack16 said:

So when you're banned, can you still read TexAgs or you just can't access it altogether?
You can send DMs as well .. but he doesn't have stars so we won't know til we know.

This is probably going to call for some psychological warfare on our parts, aka the Suzanne Somers post of last post-season
linkdude
AG
Mathguy64
AG
tjack16 said:

So when you're banned, can you still read TexAgs or you just can't access it altogether?

1. Post tits.
2. Get banned.
3. Find out what happens
4. We profit (at least those paying attention do)
W
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

you know I really hadn't looked at the April schedule in depth...

but, whoa, the Astros are jumping right into it

Yankees, Blue Jays, Rangers, Rangers again, and the Braves in the first 3 weeks

the 'stros will be done with the Yankees by the second week of May

and only play the Rangers 6 times after April 15th
W
AG
of course last year...the Astros started with the AL Central tomato cans...White Sox, Tigers, and Twins plus the Pirates...

and got squashed
The Porkchop Express
AG
W said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

you know I really hadn't looked at the April schedule in depth...

but, whoa, the Astros are jumping right into it

Yankees, Blue Jays, Rangers, Rangers again, and the Braves in the first 3 weeks

the 'stros will be done with the Yankees by the second week of May

and only play the Rangers 6 times after April 15th
You mean the 4th place team in the AL East last year?

n_touch
Beat40 said:

tjack16 said:

Marvin said:

Tough gig. I'm not even sure how radio stations and newspapers still exist.

I guess that's why so many media members are turning to produce podcasts in their spare time. Seems to be where audio media is trending
I can understand. People can listen whenever they want and wherever they want. The limit of radio is obviously a static time and limited reach. 97.5's problem when I was listening to it on my way home 4-5 years ago is once I got close to the west side of Houston, i could no longer hear it. They never fixed it either, so I stopped listening.

But, now the podcast market is saturated. Gotta figure out how to get a following before making a podcast now.
This to me is still mind boggling. ESPN and they have not boosted the signal so the west side can hear it. They pay all that money for a good morning show and alienate anyone outside the belt if not closer.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
I'm at hwy6 and i10 and I use 92.5 and it works fine
EastCoastAgNc
AG

It's sad for someone so talented to just not care this much, especially considering how much he's paid.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah this a bad look for Rendon and if I'm the Angels GM I'm probably cutting him ASAP.

He's a sunk costs either way and I'm not trying to make someone be there that doesn't want to be. I don't want this attitude around my young clubhouse.

I get putting family and faith first but it's becoming quite obvious this is a bit more than that and it makes sense given how much time he's missed.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Rendon has made $129.9 million since 2020 for the Angels.

That means they have paid:

$722,266 per hit
$5.876 million per home run (22 in 4 years, dazzling)
$1.164 million per RBI
$32.3 million per stolen base. He's had 4 in 4 years after averaging 8-10 a year for the Nationals.

WAR per year:
2020 (COVID) 2.2
2021: 0.0
2022: 0.9
2023: 0.1

That reads like the scene from Animal House when Dean Wormer reads out their midterm grades.

Mathguy64
AG
They really can't cut him. At least not now. They owe him $38,571,428 for this year. And next. And the one after that.

$115.7 MM for the next 3 years.

It has to easily be one of the top 3 worst contracts ever given.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Mathguy64 said:

They really can't cut him. At least not now. They owe him $38,571,428 for this year. And next. And the one after that.

$115.7 MM for the next 3 years.

It has to easily be one of the top 3 worst contracts ever given.
Funny how the Angels seem to regularly give out some of the worst contracts. Josh Hamilton, Pujoles, Rendon, and I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting.
Ag_07
AG
They've been playing him not to play for the past 4 years.

Only difference in cutting him would be not having this loser attitude around the clubhouse. Sounds worth it to me and I'd DFA his ass today..

And again...I completely get someone saying 'Look this is a job and my family and faith will always come first' but to just come out and say you wouldn't wish this on anybody is absolutely over the line.

Whole lot of people in this would be incredibly blessed and thankful for that kinda of life. And yeah...This life wasn't so rough that you passed on signing that mega deal for that many years.
AustinCountyAg
I was around Rendon some when he was at Rice and was a cool dude. I don't know what has happened to him over the years but like 07' said I'd do whatever he takes to get him away from my team. He's a disease and looks like he gives zero ****s about competing.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Sadly not far from the truth
All I do is Nguyen
JB!98 said:

AggieJ2002 said:

Mathguy64 said:

Beat40 said:

Marvin said:

Beat40 said:

Has our man 2015 returned from the beyond?

I am Spartacus!

On a serious note, I really appreciate staff telling us to contact them directly with moderation issues instead of litigating it on the threads... and then they don't even bother to respond. Great customer service there, guys.

I wanted to see how long the ban was for, so went back to the thread and all posts related the incident , including the mods warning, are gone.

Seems the solution is to wipe it away rather than deal with it.

That's the SOP. It's so transparent it's empty space.

How embarrassing for Brandon and this site. Guy accidently posts an innocuous post on the wrong thread that has nothing to do with anything close to the Rangers, immediately deletes it and says oops, and catches a lengthy ban? Smfh

I wouldn't blame 2015 for not coming back, and it would be a damn shame because I really appreciate his insight.

It's not too late for the mods to admit they made a mistake
Same thing happened to me. Somehow after 24 hours I slipped the noose and was back. No explanation from staff on why I had been banned.
Back during the playoffs when there was the big uproar over people getting banned for posting on the strangers thread, and even posting rally bewbs on the Astros thread, even I caught a ban but I emailed staff and we hashed it out behind the scenes and they lifted my ban. Believe it or not that is what staff wants, for us to email them to workout any moderation issues, not flood the threads with them. Hopefully 2015 will follow suit, because I too enjoy his insights as well
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
EastCoastAgNc
AG
All I do is Nguyen
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
n_touch
Ag_07 said:

Only difference in cutting him would be not having this loser attitude around the clubhouse. Sounds worth it to me and I'd DFA his ass today..

And again...I completely get someone saying 'Look this is a job and my family and faith will always come first' but to just come out and say you wouldn't wish this on anybody is absolutely over the line.

Whole lot of people in this would be incredibly blessed and thankful for that kinda of life. And yeah...This life wasn't so rough that you passed on signing that mega deal for that many years.
He said the quite part out loud. I would bet this is the standpoint of most of the players in MLB. Great pay and yes we would all love to be in the position.

But knowing that you are going to work for 8 months on a failing goal and that management really won't do anything to change it has to suck and wear on you.

With that said. Where do I sign up?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
W
AG
the Angels front office has to be wondering how serious Rendon took his injury rehab the past 3 years

especially for midseason injuries
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

I assume that ends any chance of Pena in the 2 hole. Glad that is over. But I do hope Espada has flexibility on where he slots him if guys are resting or if we're facing LHP vs RHP.
Ag_07
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

I'm cool with flexibility and moving around as long it's logical but good to know it looks like we're done with the random dart throwing to fill in the lineup card.
Mathguy64
AG
Ag_07 said:

I get cutting him may get rid of someone whose attitude is cancerous.

But this year they owe him $38mm in monthly or biweekly checks.

Cut him and you write one for $115.7MM right on the spot. Arte Moreno may be a dumb owner willing to saddle his team with bad contracts or let his best player leave with no compensation but he's not stupid. And he can't afford $115.7MM to walk out the door all at once.

Next year they owe him $77mm. Same boat. In two years it's $38.6mm. That's when he gets dumped.
texasaggie2015
AG
Mic check...is this thing on?
Farmer1906
AG
The prodigal son returns.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Mathguy64 said:

Ag_07 said:

I get cutting him may get rid of someone whose attitude is cancerous.

But this year they owe him $38mm in monthly or biweekly checks.

Cut him and you write one for $115.7MM right on the spot. Arte Moreno may be a dumb owner willing to saddle his team with bad contracts or let his best player leave with no compensation but he's not stupid. And he can't afford $115.7MM to walk out the door all at once.

Next year they owe him $77mm. Same boat. In two years it's $38.6mm. That's when he gets dumped.
Gotta figure out if there is any breach in contract and get out of that thing.
Red Five
AG
n_touch said:

Ag_07 said:

He said the quite part out loud. I would bet this is the standpoint of most of the players in MLB. Great pay and yes we would all love to be in the position.

But knowing that you are going to work for 8 months on a failing goal and that management really won't do anything to change it has to suck and wear on you.

How is this different from the majority of corporate America?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Mic check...is this thing on?
AustinCountyAg
Red Five said:

n_touch said:

Ag_07 said:

How is this different from the majority of corporate America?
It's different because most people don't get paid millions per year AND get off about 4 months per year. Rendon either needs to retire, or STFU and grind.
iBrad
AG
I would have gladly played MLB for league minimum and would have made a hell of a lot more money doing so than what I made during that stretch of my career.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG

First Page Last Page
Page 242 of 322

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.