***Official Houston Astros 2023-24 Offseason Thread*** [Staff Warning - OP]

935,305 Views | 11245 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Lonestar_Ag09
chlavinka
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Maybe I should rephrase. Most of our right handed hitters can't hit.
tjack16
AG

How many do y'all think are Boras clients?
Mathguy64
AG
I'm not sure why "this isn't good for baseball". It may not be good for those players but not good for baseball is a little melodramatic.

How many of them will cost a QO pick? How many of them are hoping their magic season of last year covers the stench of a multiyear crater? How many are older and will be on their 3rd team in 3 years?

And Hendricks on that list is a red herring. He's coming off TJ and wouldn't be able to pitch until mid season. No one is going to pay him closer money to sit and not play. Someone may want to sign him cheap and flip him at the deadline but that's not what he wants either.
The Porkchop Express
AG
redline248 said:

Farmer1906 said:

TED was ahead of his time.

Being a relative youngster I knew Ted was a great ball player, but never looked into his career. At age 41 he had an OPS of 1.096 in almost 400 PA. What would his numbers look like if he didn't miss 3 prime years because of war?

A note for Porkchop: Joey Gallo struck out more times in 7 years with Texas than Ted did in 19 years.
You should come visit the Baseball.Reference.com threads some time, we talk a lot of history over there. This is a post I researched and put together last spring about Ted Williams and what might have been.

________________________________________________________________________________________
Ted Williams' talk time.

He's one of only two HOFers to actively serve in two wars. He was in WWII from 1942-1944 and in Korea from 1952-1953.

As such, during the seasons when he was 24-26, he played ZERO games.
In the seasons he was 33-34, he played in 43 games.

In 1942, when he was 23, he hit .356 with 36 HR and 137 RBI, winning the triple crown.
In 1946, back from the war, he hit .342 with 38 HR and 123 RBi.

In 1952, he played in just 6 games before being called back to duty. he was hitting .400.
He returned from Korea at the end of the 1953 season, playing in 37 games and hitting .407 with 13 HR.
In 1954, he hit .345 again with 29 HR and 89 RBI.

So now we'll play the "what-if" game. We'll give him an average of 145 games a year for the 5 years he missed in the service. That gives him an extra 682 games in his career.

What does that do to his career totals? Let's take a look (all simple math of course, no real measure of decline, injuries, etc.)

Games Played: He played in 2,292, good for 118th. With the war seasons, he would have been up to 2,974, which would have been 12th.

Runs Scored: He scored 1,798 (20th). Adjusted, it's, 2,333, which would be #1 all-time (Rickey Henderson the real leader at 2,295).

Hits: He got 2,654 of them, which is 77th all-time. Adjusted, it goes up to 3,444, which would be 7th.

Doubles: Real total is 525, good for 46th, tied with Willie Mays. Adjusted, it's 681, which would be 6th.

Home Runs: Real total is 521, good for 20th; Adjusted, it's 676, which would 6th all time, and would have been 2nd behind Ruth when Williams retired.

RBI: Real total is 1,839, good for 16th all-time. Adjusted, it's 2,386, which would be #1 all-time (Hank Aaron leads at 2,297).

Walks: Real total is 2,201, good for 4th all-time. Adjusted, it's 2,622, which would be #1 all time, even ahead of Gigantor Head himself (2,558).

Total Bases: Real total is 4,884, good for 25th. Adjusted, it's 6,337, which would be #2 all-time behind Hank Aaron (6,856)

His percentages otherwise
Average: .344 (7th)
OBP: .482 (1st)
SLG: .634 (2nd)
OPS: 1.116 (2nd)

Pretty solid resume for the greatest player of all time.
iBrad
AG
Mathguy64 said:

I'm not sure why "this isn't good for baseball". It may not be good for those players but not good for baseball is a little melodramatic.

How many of them will cost a QO pick? How many of them are hoping their magic season of last year covers the stench of a multiyear crater? How many are older and will be on their 3rd team in 3 years?

And Hendricks on that list is a red herring. He's coming off TJ and wouldn't be able to pitch until mid season. No one is going to pay him closer money to sit and not play. Someone may want to sign him cheap and flip him at the deadline but that's not what he wants either.

I think it's actually good for baseball. It's pretty obvious all these players have a higher value on themselves than the teams do. Teams handing out bad contracts is what's not good for baseball. It's okay for players to seek a particular contract, but at some point, they either have to accept that their market value is lower than what they and and their agents think, or they can continue to not play and not make any money.
Twisted Helix
"Ted Williams' talk time.

He's one of only two HOFers to actively serve in two wars. He was in WWII from 1942-1944 and in Korea from 1952-1953."

Who was the other one? Rogers Hornsby? Just a guess.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Twisted Helix said:

He's one of only two HOFers to actively serve in two wars. He was in WWII from 1942-1944 and in Korea from 1952-1953."

It's actually the baseball exec Larry McPhail, who has one of the most incredible lesser-known stories in American sports history.

A brief summation (brief by Porkchop standards)

Drafted into World War I when he was in his mid-20s.

Was an artillery captain in WWI, and went on a non-sanctioned mission with his CO into the Netherlands to arrest Kaiser Wilhelm and bring him to be tried for his war crimes! They got all the way inside the castle where Wilhelm was hiding and McPhail got in trouble for stealing one of his ashtrays before they were made to leae.

Was a lawyer after the war and wound up purchasing an interest in a minor-league affiliate of the Cardinals in Columbus, Ohio.

Had known Branch Rickey before the war and wound up getting hired by the Reds as their CEO and GM in 1933 on Rickey's recommendation.

Became president of the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1938 and introduced, among other things - flying teams between cities, having games at night, and broadcasting games regularly on the radio. he hired Red Barber to call games first for the Reds, then for the Dodgers.

In 1942, he resigned as president of the Dodgers PRESIDENT! To accept a commission in the Army to fight in WWII. Was a colonel when the war ended. When he came back, he was hired as president and GM of the Yankees.

Was quite the alcoholic and got kicked out of the Yankees' ownership after several "confrontations" after he won they won the WS in 1947.

If you recognize his name, his family has a long history in baseball.
Lee McPhail was GM for the Orioles and Yankees and president of the AL. He's in the Hall as well.
Son Bill McPhail was president of CBS Sports and CNN Sports
Andy McPhail, his grandson, was GM for the Twins and Cubs, and president of the Phillies a few years ago.

Pretty good article about his exploits in WWI here:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/retropolis/wp/2018/08/05/the-bizarre-tale-of-a-kidnapping-attempt-the-german-kaiser-and-a-beloved-ashtray/

docb
AG
Twisted Helix said:

I helped take care of Ted Williams in his last days during my surgery residency. I called my dad to tell him about it and told my dad he was kind of an *******. My dad said he was always an *******!
Sea Speed
AG
Someone on texags has done literally everything. My goodness.
The Porkchop Express
AG
RED AG 98 said:

The Porkchop Express said:

"Of course, Madam," Rhiner replied. "I'm sure the journey was tiresome." He rang a small bell on the table beside him and almost immediately what had looked like a bookcase to his right clicked opened and turned, revealing a small shrewish woman who looked like she might have been more comfortable in the dark recesses of the walls than out in the bright light of day.
"This is my household manager, Lady Fiers," Rhiner said. "She will show you to your quarters and attend to your every need."

Well done! Also, that's funny -- she doesn't look shrewish.
Part 2 of the novel has been commissioned. I'll be back for more names when I kick it off next week.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Liam Hendricks to the Red Sox , 2yr $10m with mutual third year option
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Marvin
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Trout is 32 and is owed $35 million each of the next 8 years... and wasn't the model of health during his prime. Angels better send a very large suitcase full of cash if they expect to offload him.

Maybe he will restructure his contract and take an Ohtani deal with the Dodgers.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
The Porkchop Express
AG
Is Mike Trout going to go down in history as the least impact full great player ever?
Farmer1906
AG

Is Mike Trout going to go down in history as the least impact full great player ever?

He's got more playoff appearances than Ohtani. That probably changes this year tho.

Edit: different era but Ernie Banks never played in the postseason.
jkag89
Griffey Jr.
Ernie Banks
Frank Thomas
tjack16
AG

In about 10 years we will have a verdict on Aaron Judge in that category.
W
AG
another aspect of the Astros dynasty...

it neutralized Mike Trout's career
MaxPower

Considering how good he was, Bonds' teams underachieved. Ted Williams Sox were regularly mediocre. Neither were on teams as consistently poor as the Angels though. Maybe Ken Griffey Jr?
tjack16
AG
Ted Williams
Griffey Jr
Gwynn
Bonds
Sosa
Ichiro
Trout
Judge
Ohtani (early yes)

Zero rings on that list and 2 combined WS appearances

Ag_07
AG
Ken Griffey has 18 postseason games (3 ALDS and 1 ALCS) on his resume with a postseason OPS of .947. Not sure that qualifies.

Compare that to Trout with his 3 postseason games and .600 OPS.

Digging a bit deeper in the 1995 ALDS in which SEA defeated the NYY Griffey SLUGGED 1.043 with a 1.488 OPS. He was 9-23 with 5 HRs and 7 RBIs.
The Porkchop Express
AG
You could argue that Griffey Jr's extreme popularity helped keep the game afloat after the strike. Even as mcgwire and Sosa and bonds chased the hr mark, Griffen was easily the most popular player and the most marketable.
OKCAg2002
AG
The SNES game Ken Griffey Baseball actually did a lot to pull in a younger generation of fans. I played that game a TON.
Marvin
AG
W said:

another aspect of the Astros dynasty...

it neutralized Mike Trout's career

I think the Angels front office did more damage than the Astros.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG

More from trout
EastCoastAgNc
AG

This should go over well with their fans
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

This should go over well with their fans

That's actually a great mindset to have.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 239 of 322

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.