***Official Houston Astros 2023-24 Offseason Thread*** [Staff Warning - OP]

935,484 Views | 11245 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Lonestar_Ag09
Marvin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

On a lighter note, I'm writing a short fantasy novella for a guy in Kuwait today and I'm using some obscure Astro names (first or last) to populate some of the minor characters. If anyone has a suggestion, please throw one out.

May it slip into obscurity... Maldonado
Ag_07
AG
My favorite Stros uni scheme

https://instagr.am/p/C3SrEYCrHkG
The Porkchop Express
AG
Great Uncle Aspro has been breathed into life.
Mr.Bond
AG
Ag_07 said:

Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

The Porkchop Express
AG
Omar has appeared, although he's a dead brother from 20 years ago, and Chuckar (Chuck Carr) with him. RIP
3B Paul 97
AG

On a lighter note, I'm writing a short fantasy novella for a guy in Kuwait today and I'm using some obscure Astro names (first or last) to populate some of the minor characters. If anyone has a suggestion, please throw one out.

Tim Bogar
Casey Candaele
James Mouton
Mark Bailey
Harry Spillman
The Porkchop Express
AG
The Forest of Bogar it is.
I can't really use names like Mark Bailey or Doug Jones in a fantasy novel, HTH - need some oddball spelligns and what not.
suburban cowboy
AG
I guess I like winning more than yall.

Bring him in, league minimum, incentive based contract, if he performs it's a massive W, if he has behavioral issues or sucks you cut him.
WES2006AG
AG
Ag_07 said:

Agree. I am sure it is nostalgia for my 90s childhood but those are the best. I think we are a bit too orange now.
bearkatag15
AG
texasaggie2015
AG
suburban cowboy said:

Bring him in, league minimum, incentive based contract, if he performs it's a massive W, if he has behavioral issues or sucks you cut him.
That's certainly one way to spin it.
The Porkchop Express
AG
suburban cowboy said:

Bring him in and every question asked for the next X months he's on the team is - Why did you sign Bauer? How does Bauer get along in the clubhouse? What do you think about Bauer saying this? What does signing Bauer say about how the Houston Astros view women, especially after the thing with their closer a few years ago and the exec that got fired for mouthing off at the female reporter about said closer? Why would a woman want to work for the Houston Astros who sign Trevor Bauer? The Astros were already cheaters and now they're signing guys who sexually assault women too? What about Bauer's feud with Bregman? What about him accusing the Astros of cheating over and over? What about the fact that he can't STFU on Twitter or anywhere else? Why did you sign him, Mr. Crane? What does Justin Verlander think about this? Would he leave kate Upton alone in a room with Trevor Bauer?

The team that signs Trevor Bauer has to be prepared for months of bull**** from him, the fans, and the media at large. A team like the Astros, committed to excellence on the field and off of it, does not need or want that headache. Let him sign with the Yankees where that's commonplace or some team nobody gives a **** about like the Nationals or the Marlins or the Rockies.

If you like winning, you don't open the door and invite cancer to come on in.
CFTXAG10
AG
Aggie baseball tomorrow, first spring training game 9 days away.

ItsHappening.gif
Ag_07
AG
Yeah it's probably a lot of nostalgia for me as well but I also think these uniforms just captured the essence of the space theme perfectly and just seemed to fit the time period so well.

Good stuff
SpaceCityAg05
AG
Yukon Cornelius

And the entire roster of players minus Altuve from 2012-2014.
The Porkchop Express
AG
not so fun times from this day in Astros History. woof

2006 - Reaction continues to simmer over a memoir published by Astros broadcaster Milo Hamilton, who is in his 22nd year with Houston. While he has some critical comments for local folks, the national media focuses on Hamilton's portrayal of deceased Cubs broadcaster Harry Caray as "a miserable human being". Caray's widow, Duchie, responds that Hamilton hasn't "shown any class at all". In the Chicago restaurant that bears Caray's name, a new drink called the "Milo" is christened made of "cheap shots and sour grapes".

Referring to a statue of Caray outside Wrigley Field, Hamilton wrote, "I see that statue every time the Astros visit Wrigley Field as our bus pulls up to the park. I say to myself, 'I gotta go get some peanuts and feed the pigeons so they'll fly over the statue all day long.' "
Twisted Helix
I'm only half way through that video and if even half the **** they're saying is true the dude should never see the diamond again.
And I was open to giving him a look. What a whack job.
Bobcat-Ag

Doug Drabek
Mark Swindell
Eric Yielding
Terry Puhl
Art Howe
Denny Walling
Bob Knepper
Alan Knicely
Twisted Helix

Rusty Staub. Imagine the fun you could have.
SpaceCityAg05
AG
Rhiner Cruz

And the obligatory LJ Hoes.
Ag_07
AG
It really is insane. He's as toxic as toxic can be. There isn't a place he's played that he hasn't had a brush up or controversy. Every team that's taken a chance on him has been burned.

I see no reason to believe he's changed and would expect him to be the same child he's been throughout his entire career.

Dude is a joke
SpaceCityAg05
AG
Agreed.

One can simultaneously believe that he got unjustly railroaded over the one big issue, while simultaneously realizing he has a whole lot of OTHER issues.
1836er
AG
... and don't forget Charlie Kerfeld
Furlock Bones
AG

If Kaz Matsui doesn't get in, we riot!
SpaceCityAg05
AG
Also, there needs to be a rat named Fiers that meets an unceremonius end.
All I do is Nguyen
SpaceCityAg05 said:

Also, there needs to be a rat named Fiers that meets an unceremonius end.
But make it blatantly obvious you're talking about Fiers. Describe his ugly ass monkey tail beard and everything. How he was alwasy injured when he played his former team, etc.
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
DrZ
AG
Casey Candaele

His mother was "in a league of her own."

She was born to hit. Called "a little bundle of dynamite," "a polished performer," and the "feminine Ted Williams," Helen Callaghan was a bonafide star in the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League from the minute she left her home in Vancouver for a tryout at the age of 16.

In her five-season career, she won a batting title, stole more than 100 bases twice -- getting called the best basestealer this side of Shirley Jameson (who stole 126 in 1943) -- and proved to be one of the most competitive players to ever step on the ballfield.
TarponChaser
Ag_07 said:

With the goatees and Oakleys those definitely scream 1990's.

Or current over-the-top competitive "softball guy" today.

AgSportsFan89
AG

Dave Borkowski. Am I too late to the party?
DrZ
AG
How about the legend. - Bullpen catcher
Stretch Suba
SpaceCityAg05
AG
And Lima Time.
07ag
AG

larry yount
https://ts.la/eric59704
Farmer1906
AG
Huge blow to the Os

Mathguy64
AG
So he needs TJ? And is trying to not have it? Pretty sure there is only one way that ends.
Farmer1906
AG

This is the second day I've seen these two together. Did they bond on the bench when Dusty refused to play them?

First Page Last Page
Page 233 of 322

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.