***Official Houston Astros 2023-24 Offseason Thread*** [Staff Warning - OP]

935,103 Views | 11245 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Lonestar_Ag09
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
RED AG 98
AG
RED AG 98
AG
Why would the A's want this? Is this better than floundering in the wilderness a couple of years at NCAA and MiLB facilities until the stadium in Vegas is ready?
W
AG
don't do it A's' owners...don't do it

get out while you can

make it a clean break
Project Gemini
AG
RED AG 98 said:

Why would the A's want this? Is this better than floundering in the wilderness a couple of years at NCAA and MiLB facilities until the stadium in Vegas is ready?
I don't think there is a Vegas stadium that can be "ready" at this point. It is stalled out. The state money is tied to building on Tropicana site, which is too small for a stadium with a retractable roof, which is a must for Vegas (according to...people on the internet). They have nowhere to stay and nowhere to go. At least I think that is where things currently stand.
MaxPower
Project Gemini said:

RED AG 98 said:

I don't think there is a Vegas stadium that can be "ready" at this point. It is stalled out. The state money is tied to building on Tropicana site, which is too small for a stadium with a retractable roof, which is a must for Vegas (according to...people on the internet). They have nowhere to stay and nowhere to go. At least I think that is where things currently stand.
Dunno why they can't do a minor league stadium. No one is showing up either way and has to be cheaper than the coliseum.
Eso si, Que es
EastCoastAgNc said:

this will make 10,275 people ecstatic. How the heck can you pay for a stadium with $83M ticket revenue (if average ticket price in Oakland is $100 per Statista). Statista also says their total revenue was $212M in 2022.

You can't run a competitive team on that kind of revenue stream in 2024.

Maybe they should make their players buy their own sodas from a vending machine.
Project Gemini
AG
MaxPower said:

Project Gemini said:

RED AG 98 said:

Dunno why they can't do a minor league stadium. No one is showing up either way and has to be cheaper than the coliseum.
They can, and might have to, but it is a horrible situation that generates a lot of bad outcomes for everyone, especially if the temporary solution is indefinite in nature when it proceeds. The league, the owners, the players, the fans...no one gets anything out of that situation. Outdoor minor league ball parks in Nevada in the summer, yeah, no thanks says everyone.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
wangus12
AG
Project Gemini said:

RED AG 98 said:

Vegas in the summer is hot as ****. Nobody wants to go to games in 100+ degree heat
Project Gemini
AG
wangus12 said:

Project Gemini said:

RED AG 98 said:

Vegas in the summer is hot as ****. Nobody wants to go to games in 100+ degree heat
Agreed, they also want the skyline when its not hot AF, which the Tropica site would support if it were large enough to have a stadium with a retractable roof.
WES2006AG
AG
Looks like the players hate the new jerseys made for Nike by Fanatics.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/fanatics-produced-nike-mlb-jerseys-uniforms-2024-season-players-fans-reaction
iamtheglove
Farmer1906 said:

agdaddy04 said:

Here in Colorado they're all talking about the dissolving of ATT Sports. Looks like Astros fans are pretty lucky to get another regional sports network.
The Astros weren't lucky so much as the owners of the Astros and Rockets, Crane & Fertitta, bought the regional rights back and have their own channel now. They decided this path was better than fighting it in court.

I think every fan wants DTC streaming. I don't think we see that until whatever agreements AT&T had with carriers (DTV, FUBO, etc) expire. Who knows when that will be?
A very long time. Much longer than other regional sports networks due to conditions established when purchased out of bankruptcy from Comcast.
The Porkchop Express
AG
The city of Oakland should act like they are interested and then go to a live stream of the stadium being demolished and tell ownership to **** off in a live press conference.
bearkatag15
AG
Farmer1906
AG
Listed as OF/1B but the fangraphs snippet had him as a catcher.

Quote:

Carrillo is a more mature catcher who is crushing the DSL right now and needs to be sent to Arizona to be tested.
BadAggie
AG
Trust in Crane. I see the excuse is Arlington was waiting on a tv deal or something.

bearkatag15
AG
BadAggie said:

Trust in Crane. I see the excuse is Arlington was waiting on a tv deal or something.

Quote:

He's just a really expensive Jake Diekman.
Prosperdick
AG
Eso si, Que es said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

this will make 10,275 people ecstatic. How the heck can you pay for a stadium with $83M ticket revenue (if average ticket price in Oakland is $100 per Statista). Statista also says their total revenue was $212M in 2022.

You can't run a competitive team on that kind of revenue stream in 2024.

Maybe they should make their players buy their own sodas from a vending machine.
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906
AG

That means 2 spots open up. I wonder how we'll fill it.
The Porkchop Express
AG
The Royals announced plans for a new $2 billion downtown stadium today, with their ownership putting up more than $1 billion in private investment money.

Apparently, the Bobby Witt super deal was just the first step of a major overhaul of the franchise. Reading between the lines, it sounds like they're hearing a lot of **** about how successful the Chiefs are in a small market but not them.

https://www.mlb.com/news/royals-unveil-plans-for-proposed-downtown-ballpark

Deluxe
AG
AustinCountyAg
so an old guy having trouble starting his throwing back up. Call me SHOCKED.
Deluxe
AG
Yea, it's one of those things where if he misses some spring and the first few weeks of the regular season, that's likely a good thing in the long run. He's probably not a 200 inning guy this year anyway. Would rather him miss a few starts at the beginning than at the end.

At his age, you have to retain a respectful fear of it lingering or being a sign of a more serious injury. I'm not worried about JV tho.
Farmer1906
AG
Project Gemini
AG
Looks awesome, but lets not forget that artist renderings can often appear significantly better than the end result
bearkatag15
AG
Marvin
AG
Deluxe said:

Yea, it's one of those things where if he misses some spring and the first few weeks of the regular season, that's likely a good thing in the long run. He's probably not a 200 inning guy this year anyway. Would rather him miss a few starts at the beginning than at the end.

At his age, you have to retain a respectful fear of it lingering or being a sign of a more serious injury. I'm not worried about JV tho.

Bielak time.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Marvin said:

Deluxe said:

Bielak time.
Why you gotta beilak that...
EastCoastAgNc
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Didn't he miss the first month of last season with shoulder issues when he was with the Mets?
W
AG
so let me ask again...

who's starting the opener: JV or Framber?
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

so let me ask again...

who's starting the opener: JV or Framber?

If JV is ready then he's still the choice. Any time you get a JV vs Cole match up, you take it. But Framber is equally qualified to start opening day.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

bearkatag15 said:

Didn't he miss the first month of last season with shoulder issues when he was with the Mets?
Yup, teres issue but it popped up later in the spring.
First Page Last Page
Page 229 of 322

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.