***Official Houston Astros 2023-24 Offseason Thread*** [Staff Warning - OP]

935,054 Views | 11245 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Lonestar_Ag09
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Man I didn't realize how good Witt's #s were until I just looked them up. If he can start drawing some more walks he's going to be lethal. 69 EXB and 49 steals in the same season. Nasty.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
W
AG
I hope Witt got some early and often opt-outs in that deal

not sure KC is the best place for a star to shine nowadays
Mr.Bond
AG
Orange Helmets would be sick

At very least I wish our helmets had orange bill. I love the Braves look, Iconic

A's have same look, As does Baltimore
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Farmer1906
AG
After year 7 is the first opt out. At worst it's a 3 year extension to the 4 years of control they already have. I haven't seen the year by year $ but I would assume the real money doesn't kick in until year 5.
linkdude
AG
surprised that Gilbert is down at 100 after the trade.
W
AG
we've dissected Keith Law's, um, er, analysis before

famously did not have Yordan in his top 100 prior to the 2019 season

whoops
Farmer1906
AG
Outside of Tucker & Bregman, are any of the Astros top players former top 100 prospects?
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Outside of Tucker & Bregman, are any of the Astros top players former top 100 prospects?

McCullers maybe?
AgLA06
AG
At some point you can't keep bagging on a team for not having a top farm system when the vast majority of the team on a nearly decade long domination keeps getting promoted from the farm system.
tjack16
AG
Royals extended Bobby Witt to an 11 year deal… wow
Mr.Bond
AG
tjack16 said:

288 million can go a long way in Kansas..... but you have to live in Kansas.....
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

tjack16
AG
Mr.Bond said:

tjack16 said:

288 million can go a long way in Kansas..... but you have to live in Kansas.....

I'd definitely live somewhere else the other 6 months of the year.
shano0603
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Jon Singleton
Farmer1906
AG
shano0603 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Jon Singleton

And Forrest too.

What I was kind of getting at, we've clearly made a living with guys not nearly as highly thought of. Keep rankings our guys low and we'll keep developing the Yainer's, Chas's, Javier's, Abreu's, etc of the world.
AgLA06
AG
Farmer1906 said:

shano0603 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Jon Singleton

And Forrest too.

What I was kind of getting at, we've clearly made a living with guys not nearly as highly thought of. Keep rankings our guys low and we'll keep developing the Yainer's, Chas's, Javier's, Abreu's, etc of the world.

Maybe, just maybe the current media farm system talent evaluation doesn't match Houston's successful strategy.
tjack16
AG
Off the top of my head our "stars" who have been top prospects

Correa
Springer
Tucker
Bregman
McCullers

But I'd say we've had enough production from non top 100 guys to say we're doing just fine. We even had a rookie win ALCS and WS MVP without being a top 100 prospect
shano0603
AG
shano0603 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Jon Singleton

Montero and Hader
The Porkchop Express
AG
Mr.Bond said:

tjack16 said:

You know that team is in Missouri, right?
Mr.Bond
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Mr.Bond said:

tjack16 said:

Well aware..... but like claiming orange texas is better than Sulphur Louisiana. Same old boring place

MAGA

PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Surprised he didn't try and chase a ring before the bag. His career will likely die in KC with no ring
AgLA06
AG
PrestigeWorldwideAg12 said:

Surprised he didn't try and chase a ring before the bag. His career will likely die in KC with no ring

I'm sure he'll dry his eyes with the $300M.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
AgLA06 said:

I'm sure he'll dry his eyes with the $300M.

I'm sure he will be fine but man young enough to hit a cheap 2 year deal somewhere to contend.
htownag99
AG
Funny thing here is the nicer and more expensive
Part of Kansas City is in the Kansas side, with Overland Park and Mission Hills being the River Oaks of KC.
OPAG
AG
Mr.Bond said:

The Porkchop Express said:

Mr.Bond said:

tjack16 said:

Well aware..... but like claiming orange texas is better than Sulphur Louisiana. Same old boring place
I lived in Overland Park for 6 years it is really nice place to live, you are showing your ignorance there. I do not live there now, but it was surely no dump.
Mr.Bond
AG
You used the word dump. Not me

MAGA

Mr.Bond
AG
Maton gets 6.5 million for 1 year

MAGA

AgLA06
AG
Mr.Bond said:

You used the word dump. Not me

Where do you live Bond?
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Get your popcorn ready
Farmer1906
AG
linkdude said:

The time to sign Tucker would have been the offseason between 21 and 22 at the latest. Now he's way too close to free agency. If we would have offered a deal similar to Witt Jr, Tucker might be here long term. Now I think it'll take signing TED until around 38-40 to keep him.
redline248
AG

Royals will flip him at some point
Farmer1906
AG
redline248 said:

Royals will flip him at some point

Full no trade clause. But the opt out after 7 means he hits free agency at age 30-31.
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

linkdude said:

The time to sign Tucker would have been the offseason between 21 and 22 at the latest. Now he's way too close to free agency. If we would have offered a deal similar to Witt Jr, Tucker might be here long term. Now I think it'll take signing TED until around 38-40 to keep him.

Yep. Should have done it between 2021 and 2022. He would have taken the Yordan type of extension
Farmer1906
AG
It would have had to topped the Yordan deal. We got him for a steal. Yordan accepting it probably killed any chance of extending Tucker. You can't give Yordan 6/115 and Tucker 8/225.
Ag_07
AG
Bobby Witt Jr is a helluva player who I've always said it's a shame that he's playing in KC because no sees him and gets to watch him.

He needs to be somewhere else. He's too good for KC.
The Porkchop Express
AG
You guys realize the Royals won a title in the last decade, right? Nothing says they can't have him as the centerpiece and build around him. They're not exactly in the most competitive division.
First Page Last Page
Page 214 of 322

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.