***Official Houston Astros 2023-24 Offseason Thread*** [Staff Warning - OP]

935,717 Views | 11245 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Lonestar_Ag09
tjack16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mr.Bond said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

What team has NOT discussed a Cease trade?

Oakland

"What do you mean he makes more than league minimum? That's outrageous" - A's front office probably
Farmer1906
AG
linkdude
AG
Pretty crazy, even with George's injury prone-ness that he had that many more games than Chas. Thanks Dusty
W
AG
those George vs. Chas numbers...

also show why a team should be very, very stingy with the mega-deals
W
AG
speaking of Blue Jays outfielders...

didn't realize what a GiDP machine Vlad Jr. is at such a young age

2022 ---> 26 GiDP's at age 23

2023 ---> 23 GiDP's at age 24

hits way too many ground balls (and needs to shed some pounds)
Mathguy64
AG
We have a 3B who averages 16 GIDP a year. Last year he hit into 22. Year before 18. And his legs are getting shorter and slower every day.
Farmer1906
AG
GIDP raw #s without opportunities to go with it can be a little misleading at times.
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

GIDP raw #s without opportunities to go with it can be a little misleading at times.

No doubt. Ycan't GIDP unless guys in front of you get on base a lot. It's a double edged sword of a team with a high OBA.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I'd prefer to see their overall numbers before you throw something like that out.

The only category I'd think vlad leads is raw power
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

Methinks Chas would have more WAR than George if he had the same number of ABs.
W
AG
Mathguy64 said:

We have a 3B who averages 16 GIDP a year. Last year he hit into 22. Year before 18. And his legs are getting shorter and slower every day.
and I suspect this is figuring into the Astros decision to possibly let him go

that being said...a manager in the dugout who is actually awake during games...can do various things to limit GiDP's

especially for slow right-handed hitters
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Haters gonna hate
tjack16
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Haters gonna hate

They're hatin in the comments for sure
n_touch
EastCoastAgNc said:

Haters gonna hate

Obligatory

&ct=g
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Are you saying Bregman should have been pinch hit for? Late in games? For….Dubon? Kessinger?
Farmer1906
AG
I think he means hit and runs and steals to get out of potential DPs. Thats easier said than done.
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

So I looked. Bregman had 140 PA and 124 ABs with a man on 1st and less than 2 outs. He had 22 GIDP in those situations.

For comparison, Vlad Jr was 23 GIDP on 163 PA and 140 AB.

Bregman was actually worse.

Machete was 10 on 77/65. He was actually better at not doing it. And I never thought I would say that.
redline248
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Farmer1906 said:

So I looked. Bregman had 140 PA and 124 ABs with a man on 1st and less than 2 outs. He had 22 GIDP in those situations.

Machete was 10 on 77/65. He was actually better at not doing it. And I never thought I would say that.
lies, damn lies and statistics
Farmer1906
AG
No bueno.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

I think he means hit and runs and steals to get out of potential DPs. Thats easier said than done.

Especially with Yordan behind him.
tjack16
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Yeah but Maldonado's always seemed to be in a situation where those runs were crucial. Down by 1-2 or tied.
Not sure on stats but it just felt like Maldonado came up with RISP or bases loaded a lot and hardly ever came through. His bases loaded K on 3 straight fastballs in ALCS game 1 comes to mind the most.
Beat40
tjack16 said:

Mathguy64 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Yeah but Maldonado's always seemed to be in a situation where those runs were crucial. Down by 1-2 or tied.
Not sure on stats but it just felt like Maldonado came up with RISP or bases loaded a lot and hardly ever came through. His bases loaded K on 3 straight fastballs in ALCS game 1 comes to mind the most.

Maybe.

I think it's more of a you remember the bad more than the good. In Maldy's case, he was hated so much there was hyper focus on him. Much more likely to remember the bad in that situation.
tjack16
AG
Beat40 said:

tjack16 said:

Mathguy64 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Maybe.

I think it's more of a you remember the bad more than the good. In Maldy's case, he was hated so much there was hyper focus on him. Much more likely to remember the bad in that situation.

His splits in different scenarios. Oddly better with runners on 2nd and 3rd only. I'm guessing he got better pitches to hit with Altuve behind him.

But terrible in bases loaded situations
Mathguy64
AG
Just to put Breggy in perspective, Ty France had 25 GIDP in 122 AB. Slightly worse than Hamster Legs.

Correa led the league with 30 GIDP. He managed that in 98 ABs. Without looking I'm going to bet he was the worst in the league based on chances. That's almost 31%.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
JDUB08AG
AG
I'm a little frustrated by the Neris deal. Could we not make the same offer? Did he not want to be here? I just have some questions.
All I do is Nguyen
The thing I will miss about Neris was his emotion and passion. He got us out of A LOT of 2 on, 0 or 1 out situations. Watching him strike out the side and getting all pumped up was a beautiful thing to watch
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
EastCoastAgNc
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

The thing I will miss about Neris was his emotion and passion. He got us out of A LOT of 2 on, 0 or 1 out situations. Watching him strike out the side and getting all pumped up was a beautiful thing to watch

To be fair, he created a few of those situations on his own.
superaggie73
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

He also put us into a lot of 2 on, 0 or 1 out situations. Played with fire all year and I don't think it's sustainable over time. I'm glad we didn't sign him to that deal. His passion was great, but the stress he put on himself and the team a lot of times before getting out of those situations was eventually gonna bite him in the ass.
Farmer1906
AG
JDUB08AG said:

I'm a little frustrated by the Neris deal. Could we not make the same offer? Did he not want to be here? I just have some questions.

Sure. But the team felt more comfortable making a big splash with Hader. He's younger, better, and doesn't allow as many runners as Neris even in Neris's best season.

Hader, paired with Abreu has our back end locked up for 3 more years.

Or do you mean adding Neris in addition to Hader? I think it has to do with money. We lead the league in 2024 Payroll Dollars allocated to the bullpen, Avg payroll per reliever, & are 2nd in % of total payroll allocated to the bullpen (Reds #1 but their payroll is tiny).
All I do is Nguyen
I mean give me ALL of the good/great pitchers. Getting back Luace and hopefully LMC who will FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STAY HEALTHY, we will be just fine. We may use LMC and Luace out of the BP for mid relief which is I think perfect for LMC.
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
W
AG
a couple of those leaders hit into killer double plays in the ALCS

the team will be okay
JDUB08AG
AG
Farmer1906 said:

JDUB08AG said:

Sure. But the team felt more comfortable making a big splash with Hader. He's younger, better, and doesn't allow as many runners as Neris even in Neris's best season.

Or do you mean adding Neris in addition to Hader? I think it has to do with money. We lead the league in 2024 Payroll Dollars allocated to the bullpen, Avg payroll per reliever, & are 2nd in % of total payroll allocated to the bullpen (Reds #1 but their payroll is tiny).

I meant in addition. Love the hader signing. We can all appreciate how important our bullpen has been. The figures offered to neris seemed relatively palatable and his clubhouse presence was an intangible.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

JDUB08AG said:

I'm getting the sense Dana and team feel like LuAce, LMJ, and then a combination of France, Urquidy, and Forrest is going to work out well.

Honestly if LuAce and LJ come back and they are both used in the BP, it's going to be nasty. Even if LMJ goes back to a starting role, still in good shape.

Just have this feeling we're going to finally see Forrest this year. I happen to think he's going to be really serviceable.
First Page Last Page
Page 203 of 322

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.