***Official Houston Astros 2023-24 Offseason Thread*** [Staff Warning - OP]

936,371 Views | 11245 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Lonestar_Ag09
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Mr.Bond
AG
The Dodgers on the Show 24 are going to be unbeatable
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

AggiEE

bearkatag15
AG
AggiEE said:

Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
tjack16
AG
On talkin baseball they mentioned Whit Merrifield as somebody we should look at for a bench bat. That could be intriguing
Farmer1906
AG
He doesn't want to be a bench bat. He believes he should be in every day second baseman.
All I do is Nguyen
Good interview with TK

No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
Taxman90
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

The Dodgers have a fascination with pitchers that break easily.
Ag_07
AG
James Paxton scares no one.
Farmer1906
AG
No, but that's a nice 4th, 5th type starter who'll eat up regular season innings.
Marvin
AG
Did anyone go to Fanfest? Mrs. Marvin and I are both battling a chest cold so we stayed away.
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

No, but that's a nice 4th, 5th type starter who'll eat up regular season innings.
...and with an offense like they'll have...
Thinice
Marvin said:

Did anyone go to Fanfest? Mrs. Marvin and I are both battling a chest cold so we stayed away.
We went, was nice being back at the ballpark but it was freezing!!!!
Terminus Est
Marvin said:

pics of chest cold or it didn't happen
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Terminus Est said:

Marvin said:

pics of chest cold or it didn't happen
superaggie73
AG
Marvin said:

Thank you for not getting our stud players sick. With our luck, Yordan would miss half the season with a chest cold not being able to breathe.
Farmer1906
AG
How tall is Josh Hader?

Looks like he towers over them, right?

But... 5'11"?!?!

Are they wrong? Because Fangraphs matches the smell test.

----

Crane was there yesterday. I love hearing from him, but it's nice he's letting his GM and Manager have the shine.

---

Julia Interview with Hader

texasaggie2015
AG
FWIW- Crane handled 100% of the Hader negotiations. He tends to step in and do that when there's someone he wants.

Not entirely sure how I would feel about that if I was the GM.
AustinCountyAg
Hopefully it was the case of him asking and getting the opinions with Dana and others something like "Do you want Hader"? And it was an unanimous yes, so he said "I will handle it" more in a I will make sure this gets done type of situation?

I dunno. Kind of weird though. Like you, not sure how I completely feel about that.
Farmer1906
AG
I'll believe that, but…

Brown very clearly said he decided on Hader in the presser.

"Last Tuesday, I decided… I said… blah blah blah… maybe we should make a run at Hader"
The Porkchop Express
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Looks like he broke into Theater Under the Stars and found Tommy Tune's old wardrobe

texasaggie2015
AG
Yeah, he might have said that, but it's not true.
AustinCountyAg
Farmer1906 said:

I'll believe that, but…

"Last Tuesday, I decided… I said… blah blah blah… maybe we should make a run at Hader"

Brown might've decided the Astros needed and wanted Hader. Crane still could have 100% handled the negations with his agent. Two completely different situations.
Farmer1906
AG
Here is my guess on how things went down.

I think it was pretty clear that Crane wanted Hader. I am sure Brown did too. I mean who the hell wouldn't want Hader? But I think Brown knew what Crane wanted, but wasn't willing to go all in until Graveman was injured. At that point, he was willing to make the splash. Brown gets things rolling (makes the call to the agent), but when #s come out Crane takes the wheel. Ultimately, Crane got the guy he wanted all along and decided on how the deal would be done (his money), but Brown and his needs have to make sure it makes sense.
Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I'll believe that, but…

Bjork used the same words about Jimbo.
TarponChaser
Farmer1906 said:

How tall is Josh Hader?

Looks like he towers over them, right?

But... 5'11"?!?!

Are they wrong? Because Fangraphs matches the smell test.

----

Crane was there yesterday. I love hearing from him, but it's nice he's letting his GM and Manager have the shine.

---

Julia Interview with Hader

FWIW- I don't think Baseball Reference ever updates Ht/Wt and just goes with the pre-draft info. Because Hader was barely 18 when drafted so it's entirely possible he was a late-bloomer and didn't get his growth spurt until after he was drafted. I'm betting he barely had any college interest because he chose a $40,000 signing bonus as a 19th round pick. And per Wikipedia he was only throwing mid-80s as a HS senior so it makes sense that growing 4 inches and physically maturing would help him increase his velo to 94-96.

As a couple instances of Baseball Reference not updating info, they list Mark McGwire at 6'5" 215# when he never played in the majors below 240-245 and was almost 270 in his prime steroid years. Similarly, they have Barry Bonds at 6'1" 185# when he was 230 for most of his time in SF. And Roger Clemens is listed at 6'4" 205# when he was never below 220 in the majors and was 245'ish for most of his career.
Farmer1906
AG
This piggybacks off a tweet posted the other day (Ketch, maybe)

Houston Astros Star Prospect Could Steal Alex Bregman's Job

Quote:

Maybe the Houston Astros won't need to extend Alex Bregman after all.

While the star third baseman is set to reach free agency next winter, his replacement at the hot corner appears to be waiting in the wings.

The Astros have to be pleased with the progress they've seen from third-base prospect Zach Dezenzo. After batting a sizzling .407/.474/.628 in 31 games at High-A Asheville this season, the 23-year-old infielder was promoted to Double-A Corpus Christi.

Dezenzo held his own in the Texas League, slashing .257/.339/.486 with 14 homers, 16 steals and 41 RBIs in 63 games. He fared well in the Arizona Fall League as well, batting .231/.333/.446 with three homers, two steals and seven RBIs in 16 games.

More importantly, he made major strides at the plate that have turned heads in Houston's organization.In a recent Baseball America article, Astros senior director of player development and performance science, Jacob Buffa, lauded the former 12th round draft pick for his ability to improve his contact skills without sacrificing power, which is tough for most hitters to do.

In fact, Dezenzo's power has improved at all three of his minor league stops. His ISO has risen from .147 at Single-A to .221 at High-A to .229 at Double-A --an encouraging trajectory for the team's No. 5 prospect, per MLB Pipeline.

While Dezenzo still needs additional seasoning before he's ready for the big leagues, it's possible that Houston fans could see him up in the majors by the end of 2024. If he continues to show potential, the Astros' front office may feel better if Bregman walks next winter.

texasaggie2015
AG
Brown had 0% to do with it. This was all Crane. I can say that with absolute certainty.
texasaggie2015
AG
Mark McGwire at 215 pounds? Checks out
Ags #1
AG
Like that we signed hader not sure I like not letting the GM do his thing. Wonder if brown knew that is how things would work prior to taking the job?
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Brown had 0% to do with it. This was all Crane. I can say that with absolute certainty.
Okay then. Brown has a pretty sweet gig. Let the owner do what he wants and take credit.
Beau Holder
AG
Guess we can only hope he was like "works for me"

I suppose I'd rather have an owner who cares and is engaged than one who doesn't and isn't, in a hypothetical binary choice. Would like to see Crane care the same amount when it comes to Tucker.
Farmer1906
AG
Previous Hader entrances.

Clever, but no hype and too long.

Lame

Ryan Pressly

Elite
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Crane was going to have to sign off on going over the CBT anyway. He had probably given Dana strict instructions not to exceed it.

Honestly, the more time that goes by, the more obvious it becomes that Dana was hired to be the director of development and drafting. Crane and Bagwell are dealing with contracts and free agency. Sounds like Dana has 0 say when it comes to signings or trades. Eventually this is gonna blow up in Crane's face, but I hope that's many years down the road.
First Page Last Page
Page 193 of 322

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.