***Official Houston Astros 2023-24 Offseason Thread*** [Staff Warning - OP]

936,567 Views | 11245 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Lonestar_Ag09
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I like that less. Not because I think Soler isn't good, but he'll be more expensive & is right-handed. He, like Joc, fits the category of rental the Braves acquired in 2021. I fully expected both to be out of our price range. Maybe Crane is pushing his chips in for 2024. I a m not made about it.

Sign both and dominate either split
AustinCountyAg
not my money. Spend that **** and lets win another. Also, I still want Bauer.
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

Farmer1906 said:

I like that less. Not because I think Soler isn't good, but he'll be more expensive & is right-handed. He, like Joc, fits the category of rental the Braves acquired in 2021. I fully expected both to be out of our price range. Maybe Crane is pushing his chips in for 2024. I a m not made about it.

Sign both and dominate either split

Marvin
AG
I just hope Espada uses platoon players and matchups the way they should be used. The snapshot we saw in October says he will. What a refreshing change that will be.

And the obligatory "you'll thank me later..."
AustinCountyAg
to me IF they were to go after Soler it would signal that they have serious worries with Abreu struggling at the plate again.
Eso si, Que es
I would prefer we not bet everything on 2024, we all know how postseason play is a crapshoot. One team will get there and be hot, and we hope it is us, but I'd rather get there multiple years with the 2nd 3rd or 4th best team than get there 1 year and roll the dice.
AgLA06
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

to me IF they were to go after Soler it would signal that they have serious worries with Abreu struggling at the plate again.
More so the health of his back which impacts his game.

Which to be honest, I've never known a single person with a back injury that didn't suffer from it the rest of their lives. So there's a good chance he could be on the way to a silver slugger title to throw out his back again and ride the bench for a month or 2.
Silent For Too Long
Eso si, Que es said:

I would prefer we not bet everything on 2024, we all know how postseason play is a crapshoot. One team will get there and be hot, and we hope it is us, but I'd rather get there multiple years with the 2nd 3rd or 4th best team than get there 1 year and roll the dice.

From what I've seen it looks like he's going to invest heavily in 24 and 25. Looking at the rest of our pipeline that seems to be reasonable.

We look good in 26+ but not great. These next 2 years need to be maximized.
Farmer1906
AG
Silent For Too Long said:

Eso si, Que es said:

From what I've seen it looks like he's going to invest heavily in 24 and 25. Looking at the rest of our pipeline that seems to be reasonable.

We look good in 26+ but not great. These next 2 years need to be maximized.

I agree with what you're saying. But we still have some niiiice pieces. Javier, Brown, McCullers, Garcia, France, Alvarez, Abreu, Hader, Pena, McCormick, Diaz, and Dubon. That and 100+ M in FA/extensions along with anyone we trade for and bring up.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
SECcess12
EastCoastAgNc said:

In honor of one of the greatest Astros gifs of all time

Prosperdick
AG
SECcess12 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

In response to a player we got by giving up Hader. We've come full circle.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07
AG
I would put McHugh in the wish we would've kept him around group with Uncle Chuck.

He had some really solid seasons out of the pen for TB and ATL that would've been really nice to have.
Terminus Est
Ag_07 said:

I would put McHugh in the wish we would've kept him around group with Uncle Chuck.

He had some really solid seasons out of the pen for TB and ATL that would've been really nice to have.
Joe Musgrove as well.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah I'd have liked to keep him around but that's apples and oranges.

We traded Musgrove for Cole so hard to argue that one.

I was more referring to guys we let walk in FA.
Furlock Bones
AG
Prosperdick said:

SECcess12 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

In response to a player we got by giving up Hader. We've come full circle.
time is a flat circle.

tjack16
AG
His seasons are already pretty short

CFTXAG10
AG
6 months and it's a non contact sport that pays you millions of dollars, but yes by all means, please shorten the season
Mr.Bond
AG
tjack16 said:

I think Anaheim has given collectively the worst contracts in baseball the last 20 years. Rendon is a clown
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

MaxPower
tjack16 said:

He plays about 40 out of 162 games a year so the philosophical question is would he play all 40 games in a hypothetical 40 game regular season schedule OR would he only play 10 because he's committed to missing 75% of the games?
cc10106
Farmer1906 said:

I like that less. Not because I think Soler isn't good, but he'll be more expensive & is right-handed. He, like Joc, fits the category of rental the Braves acquired in 2021. I fully expected both to be out of our price range. Maybe Crane is pushing his chips in for 2024. I am not mad about it.
What about Duvall? Dude crushed us last year. In fact that whole outfield that won Dana a title is currently available.
Mathguy64
AG
tjack16 said:

Fine. Cut the season by 20%. Then cut your contract by 20% too Anthony.

No? Yeah, thats what I thought.
Farmer1906
AG
cc10106 said:

Farmer1906 said:

I like that less. Not because I think Soler isn't good, but he'll be more expensive & is right-handed. He, like Joc, fits the category of rental the Braves acquired in 2021. I fully expected both to be out of our price range. Maybe Crane is pushing his chips in for 2024. I am not mad about it.
What about Duvall? Dude crushed us last year. In fact that whole outfield that won Dana a title is currently available.
Oldest of the group. Shouldn't be playing CF like Boston had him playing. Seems like a buy-high candidate. His underlying metrics show regression coming. That may be due to his pull-happy swing at the monster. Maybe it'll translate in MMP. He should be the cheapest of the bunch, but even so, he'd be a distant 3rd on my wish list of the 3.
SpaceCityAg05
AG
It is small sample size, but his career MMP numbers are insane, which might again reflect his approach with the Monster.

Duvall should only play CF as a depth measure at this point, but I do like that he is more platoon neutral (not weaker against RHP), UNLESS you specifically commit to platoon usage with an acquisition.
BadAggie
AG
Soler? Sounds good

Man if Crane isn't done after Hader…
Farmer1906
AG
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/josh-hader-gives-the-astros-a-fearsome-bullpen/

Quote:

The top end of the Astros bullpen was already excellent. Ryan Pressly and Bryan Abreu would both be superlative closers in their own right. But now they'll end up as Hader's understudies, creating a fearsome three-headed monster to end games. No team in baseball can match that top trio. When they're all rested, games might feel like they're over after six innings.

So there you have it. A consistent playoff juggernaut gave a dominant closer a market-rate contract. There's nothing particularly wild or exciting about this deal, though I'm curious to see whether Hader relaxes his stance on multi-inning outings (strong dislike) now that he has a Scrooge McDuck pile of money. Whether he does or not, though, this move makes a lot of sense to me. If you expect to play in the playoffs, you might as well set your roster up for success ahead of time.
Ag_07
AG
Quote:

No team in baseball can match that top trio. When they're all rested, games might feel like they're over after six innings.

cc10106
Houston countered LA signing Godzilla with the King Ghidorah bullpen.
bearkatag15
AG
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
EastCoastAgNc
AG
bearkatag15 said:

I remember hearing him get interviewed on the radio this weekend during fanfest and getting asked what he thought about Hader getting signed. Awkward...
BadAggie
AG
Duvall? Sure though may be expensive.

Who's the next Duvall?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG
Rome keeps asking questions to could be dangerous. "Are you willing to throw more than 3 outs?", "Have you reached out to Pressly yet?"
First Page Last Page
Page 191 of 322

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.