***Official Houston Astros 2023-24 Offseason Thread*** [Staff Warning - OP]

937,031 Views | 11245 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Lonestar_Ag09
Lonestar_Ag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think you play it by matchups and situations
Beau Bevers
AG
How about Abreu-Hader-Pressly to close out 7-8-9?
bearkatag15
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

I agree, pressly got overused last year.
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
SpaceCityAg05
AG
Co-closers often doesn't work, but that is what I would do.

Pressly has been too elite closing in the postseason (which is a different animal) to just demote him.

Play matchups.
Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

This. Ditch the roles. Play match ups.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Wabs
AG
Marvin
AG
This would fire me up much more than a LH bench bat.

Don't play with my hopes and dreams, Jim.
BadAggie
AG
Hader? Do it

Farmer1906
AG
From the Heyman article.

Quote:

The Astros also joined the Yankees and Rangers in on their incumbent setup guy Hector Neris, who seeks $22 million for two years. The Astros lost Kendall Graveman, who had shoulder surgery.

That sounds realistic unlike that 50 M nonsense.

Quote:

The Astros are emerging as a potential spot for star closer Josh Hader, a Houston prospect before an ill-conceived trade to Milwaukee.

One other thing heard from teams about Hader, arguably the game's best closer (1.28 ERA in 2023), is this: his medical is pristine.

The division-rival Rangers have checked in on Hader, but the Astros seem more likely at the moment.

"Potential", "more likely"

Good things but I doubt we're close.
3B Paul 97
AG
Beau Bevers said:

How about Abreu-Hader-Pressly to close out 7-8-9?

Dotel-Lidge-Wagner part 2? I could live with that.
BadAggie
AG
Neris Abreu Hader Pressly
Mr.Bond
AG
BadAggie said:

0 chance they sign both neris and Hader
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

cc10106
Not getting my hopes up about Hader. I'm sure we can make do with someone off the scrap heap.
BadAggie
AG
Mr.Bond said:

BadAggie said:

0 chance they sign both neris and Hader

Neris 2 years, Hader 3. You'd maximize the current window.

The Porkchop Express
AG
What will Hader to the Astros do to the AL Pennant Chase?

I vow if we sign him to never see what he actually looks like and always pretend he's Bill Hader.
Wabs
AG
Praying for some good news today! Come on Dana and Jim, make us happy.

PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Defer defer defer!
maca1028
Miles Finch
I would love to sign Hader, but this feels like one of those scenarios where the agent floats a rumor to push another team to make a move.
AustinCountyAg
I'd much rather give the money to Hader over Nerris. Would be a great move IMO especially with reinforcements arriving later in the summer. You can never have too much pitching.
AustinCountyAg
Miles Finch said:

I would love to sign Hader, but this feels like one of those scenarios where the agent floats a rumor to push another team to make a move.
Our very on Ketch has mentioned what seems like a hundred times now dating back to last season the Astros wanted Hader. It isn't like this rumor came out of nowhere. Not to mention with Nerris all but gone and Graveman done they need help.
Miles Finch
AustinCountyAg said:

Miles Finch said:

Our very on Ketch has mentioned what seems like a hundred times now dating back to last season the Astros wanted Hader. It isn't like this rumor came out of nowhere. Not to mention with Nerris all but gone and Graveman done they need help.
I understand all of that, but the way the rumors were leaked yesterday seemed very un-Astros like.
Farmer1906
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Miles Finch said:

I agree. We have interest in Hader. We have for a while. What we don't have interest or at least never have before is handing out mega deals and going way over the CBT. I think some skepticism is fair.
texasaggie2015
AG
If the Astros sign Hader, he's the closer. 100%. Not even an argument to be made.

1. He's not signing with a team to be the 8th inning guy
2. The Astros aren't spending that kind of money on an 8th inning guy

Pressly has been incredible for us- but this is an opportunity to improve the bullpen exponentially.

It gets interesting when you try to decide between Abreu and Pressly in the 8th. I imagine a lot will depend on matchups and who has the fresh arm. But hey... there's worse problems to have.
Farmer1906
AG
I agree with this(Hader is THE closer) but I also hope we don't lock in roles 100%. If we're playing the Rangers with Seager & Carter coming up in the 8th, sure Oressly or Abreu can get the lefty out but Hader is the better match up. Having this many great options late should help flexibility not inhibit it.
Mathguy64
AG
Signing Hader and dumping Pressly to the 8th sounds like a recipe for a clubhouse issue.

PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Unless Pressly becomes apart of a trade
CFTXAG10
AG
If you could get Press to buy in that would be amazing. Plus it gives you one helluva insurance policy.
texasaggie2015
AG
Very possible, but I know that Pressly wasn't happy with his usage last year and was pretty vocal about needing a little more rest to be fresh down the stretch. He might actually be more receptive to it than we think.
Ag_07
AG
But lets also not forget that IIRC Pressly isn't near as effective in non-save situations.

That's an adjustment he'd have to make.
AustinCountyAg
Mathguy64 said:

Signing Hader and dumping Pressly to the 8th sounds like a recipe for a clubhouse issue.

to a point yes. But we also don't know what conversations (if any) Ryan has had with the Astros. He's 35. He's thrown A LOT past three years, including being hurt in 2022. Maybe he knows his career as an elite closer is on the tail end and he'd accept throwing the 8th if it meant having an ELITE 7-8-9 and upping the chances of winning another world series before his career is over.
Farmer1906
AG
He was really effecting in the 8th inning earlier in his career. High leverage is high leverage, regardless of inning.

I think the biggest potential question mark that no one has brought up yet is what happens to Johnny Cash if he's not the closer. That entrance is too damn good the scrap.
tjack16
AG
I don't think it has to be a "bump Pressly to the 8th" issue

You could likely have both of them closing games based on matchups and what the lead is. Not saying they split it but let's say we are up 5-2 against the Yankees going into the 9th and 3 straight righties are up. That's a spot for Pressly to close it out
First Page Last Page
Page 181 of 322

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.