***Official Houston Astros 2023-24 Offseason Thread*** [Staff Warning - OP]

937,133 Views | 11245 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Lonestar_Ag09
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ZIPS Astros vs Rangers

Position Group - Astros vs Rangers (WAR)
Starters - 14.0 vs 10.9
Relievers - 3.0 vs 2.4
Outfield - 11.8 vs 7.8
Infield - 12.6 vs 13.1
DH - 4.6 vs 1.5
----
Total - 46.0 vs 35.7

For comparison, here is 2023 fWAR
Non-Pitchers
33.3 Rangers
27.2 Astros

Pitchers
15.2 Rangers
15.2 Astros

Total
48.5 Rangers
42.4 Astros

ZIPS shows the Rangers taking a giant step back while the Astros take a small step forward.
Terminus Est
agproducer said:

Terminus Est said:

I think Omar Vizquel should get in, I know his offense was legitimately bad but 11 golden gloves at shortstop is insane.
One of -- if not the best defensive SS ever -- but he's not going to get in due to the stuff after his retirement.
I forgot about that, was it a gay masseuse scandal or something?
n_touch
bearkatag15 said:

Another vote for Wagner
If Beltran is getting votes the Tuve should be fine when his time comes.
WES2006AG
AG
agproducer said:

Terminus Est said:

I think Omar Vizquel should get in, I know his offense was legitimately bad but 11 golden gloves at shortstop is insane.
One of -- if not the best defensive SS ever -- but he's not going to get in due to the stuff after his retirement.
Yep, if those reports are true Omar is really a terrible person.
agproducer
AG
Terminus Est said:

agproducer said:

Terminus Est said:

No. He was accused of telling an adult autistic bat boy to wash his back in the shower. There were also allegations he was aroused.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31982342/omar-vizquel-sued-former-birmingham-barons-bat-boy-alleged-sexual-harassment
Terminus Est
agproducer said:

Terminus Est said:

agproducer said:

Terminus Est said:

No. He was accused of telling an adult autistic bat boy to wash his back in the shower. There were also allegations he was aroused.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31982342/omar-vizquel-sued-former-birmingham-barons-bat-boy-alleged-sexual-harassment
yikes
cc10106
Yeah but Altuve heard some trash can bangs and magically became good enough to steal Judge's MVP, ALCS, and World Series.
spadilly
S
Jayson Stark w/ The Athletic:

Stark: My 2024 Baseball Hall of Fame ballot how I voted and why - The Athletic
Quote:

The 10 names I voted for
I cast a vote for seven players last year. One (Scott Rolen) got elected. Another (Jeff Kent) ran out of years on the ballot. But it was such an interesting group this year, I wound up voting for 10. Let's break down those 10, along with a few other notables, this way:

Five holdovers from last year
Carlos Beltrn
Todd Helton
Jimmy Rollins
Gary Sheffield
Billy Wagner

Three first-timers
Adrin Beltr
Joe Mauer
Chase Utley

One first-timer in a slightly different category
David Wright

Voted for him this year, never had before
Andruw Jones

Voted for him in 2021, but not since
Omar Vizquel

Couldn't quite get there

Bobby Abreu
Bartolo Colon
Matt Holliday

Regarding Wagner:

Quote:

There is one question I ask about every candidate before anything else: Can I make a case that this player has some kind of claim to historic greatness?

I've been looking at Billy Wagner's case for nine election cycles now. Unless your view of closers is that's not a real position, there is no rational argument this guy doesn't have one of those cases.
I keep rolling out the same chart to make that case, year after year. No reason not to sing those hits again. They're as everlasting as they ever were.

So … is that historically significant enough for you? But hold on. There's one more hit we have to play. It comes from one of Wagner's biggest proponents, Austin Eich. He seems to have this wacky idea that Wagner was pretty close to as unhittable as any reliever we've ever laid eyes on. And yeah, that includes that reliever you're probably thinking of.

So that about covers it! Except even after a 2023 election in which Wagner came up just 27 votes short, there is still one reason a big segment of onetime Mariano voters can't bring themselves to vote for this guy: October.
I get it. It's hard to make an argument that a closer who had a 10.03 career postseason ERA deserves the benefit of the doubt. But let me offer a mild counter-argument all the same.
In 16 seasons in the big leagues, you know how many postseason save opportunities Wagner's teams handed him? How about four. (He blew only one of them by the way the first one.) Mariano was handed 47 of those save opportunities.
In 16 seasons in the big leagues, you know how many hitters Wagner got to face with a lead in the postseason? How about 30 in a decade and a half. Mariano faced over 400.
So all I'm saying is that the postseason sample was way too small. It matters. But let's get back to that first question I asked: Was Billy Wagner's overall body of work which tells us he was basically the most dominant left-handed reliever of all time historically significant enough to outweigh his October misadventures? I'm going with yes. We'll find out next week whether there are 300 voters who agree with me.

bearkatag15
AG
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Teddy Perkins
AG
YES PLEASE. THANK YOU!
Farmer1906
AG
This has Jim Crane written all over it. He knows we're going to go over the CBT most likely. He wants big splashy names. We need a reliever. The market is probably a little down on Hader.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Farmer1906 said:

This has Jim Crane written all over it. He knows we're going to go over the CBT most likely. He wants big splashy names. We need a reliever. The market is probably a little down on Hader.

I'd be sick of people calling me cheap too, if I was Crane.
KTAG05
AG
If we are going to over spend, is it better to do so on Hader than other options like Neris?
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
5 years younger so I'd lean towards yes... Neris has to have some sort of regression coming up
bearkatag15
AG
BCSGrubber said:

If we are going to over spend, is it better to do so on Hader than other options like Neris?

Hader is younger and has had a better career overall

Edit: and left handed
3B Paul 97
AG
Crane might sign Hader to **** with Dusty.

Finally get that lefty bullpen guy that he so desired.
tjack16
AG
bearkatag15 said:

LETS GO!!! Bring him back!
RED AG 98
AG
5 / $100M + for a reliever. Damn. Not my money and he's certainly elite of the elite but still, damn.
Beau Holder
AG
Man I would love this.
3B Paul 97
AG
RED AG 98 said:

5 / $100M + for a reliever. Damn. Not my money and he's certainly elite of the elite but still, damn.

A signing like that might end any extension talks with Bregman and Tucker (if there even were any going on)
tjack16
AG
An elite flame throwing lefty reliever is something we haven't had during this run. Could be the difference maker if Abreu/Pressly both stay at their level of production.
tjack16
AG
Edit double post
Farmer1906
AG
BCSGrubber said:

Neris isn't on the same planet as Hader. Hader has led all relievers in WAR since 2017. He's every bit as good as Diaz, Clase, Pressly, Hendricks, Scott, Bautista, Airbender, and any other recent name you can come up with. Outside of a blip in 2022 he's been extremely consistent. He's been damn good in the postseason too.
Farmer1906
AG
3B Paul 97 said:

RED AG 98 said:

A signing like that might end any extension talks with Bregman and Tucker (if there even were any going on)
This is a fair point. But we have so much money coming off the books between Bregman, Altuve, Graveman, Tucker, Framber, Verlander, & Pressly we can afford to sign 2-3 big-time contracts without going into the CBT.
RED AG 98
AG
Farmer1906 said:

BCSGrubber said:

Neris isn't on the same planet as Hader. Hader has led all relievers in WAR since 2017. He's every bit as good as Diaz, Clase, Pressly, Hendricks, Scott, Bautista, Airbender, and any other recent name you can come up with. Outside of a blip in 2022 he's been extremely consistent. He's been damn good in the postseason too.

Yep. Pretty damn remarkable.

texasaggie2015
AG
There's a couple guys who Crane would be willing to go into the CBT for from what I've been told. Hader is one of them. They tried hard at the deadline last year.
BCEDAg
AG
Sign Hader - i would have been happy with resigning Neris but Hader is younger and we need a strong lefty coming out of the bullpen. Go get him Jim!
tjack16
AG
Signing Hader means they are going all in for 2024. That's a game changing move
3B Paul 97
AG
Farmer1906 said:

3B Paul 97 said:

RED AG 98 said:

This is a fair point. But we have so much money coming off the books between Bregman, Altuve, Graveman, Tucker, Framber, Verlander, & Pressly we can afford to sign 2-3 big-time contracts without going into the CBT.

True. And we can always defer into 2049.
Deluxe
AG
tjack16 said:

Yep. Big time move for 2024.

I think it would also be a medium/long term replacement strategy for Pressly, who probably only has 1-2 more "closer quality" years left. Having Hader and Abreu under control through 2026 is good peace of mind for the pen.
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

tjack16 said:

Yep. Big time move for 2024.

I think it would also be a medium/long term replacement strategy for Pressly, who probably only has 1-2 more "closer quality" years left. Having Hader and Abreu under control through 2026 is good peace of mind for the pen.

He also only has 1-2 years left on his deal after last year being "down".
Deluxe
AG
Great minds think alike
EastCoastAgNc
AG
All those years Dusty cries and begs for a lefty reliever...then we go off and (potentially) sign one of the best right after he leaves
Mr.Bond
AG
Obvious question I'm assuming Presley slides into the setup role
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

bearkatag15
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Obvious question I'm assuming Presley slides into the setup role

Probably the biggest hurdle of the signing… does Hader agree to an 8th inning role

Pressly is elite… you don't just drop him
First Page Last Page
Page 180 of 322

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.