***Official Houston Astros 2023-24 Offseason Thread*** [Staff Warning - OP]

937,178 Views | 11245 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Lonestar_Ag09
Beat40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
n_touch said:

JDUB08AG said:

Where is the breaking point? These contracts seem to be outpacing the ability of teams to increase spending.
Already past it. Now it is just time sit back and watch the craziness until it resets.

Dec 1, 2026 - CBA expiration date. I imagine there will be some work done on a lot of limits, taxes, and penalties.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Owners and MLB will fight hard for salary caps, CBT, penalties. etc. Players and their union will push back hard on that because they will see it as restricting the free agency market. Ultimately, the status quo will prevail as it did in the last lockout unless MLB has the guts to lose a significant chunk of the season
Farmer1906
AG
I have brought up the trade Bregman, sign Chapman thoughts a few times. Originally, I was against it when the rumors came out (confirmed by our very own Ketch). I think if the right deals (contract and trade) came about, it could work.

I found a pretty decent comp for Chapman.

Chris Taylor
  • Hit the market at 31
  • Good, not a great hitter
  • Bit of a K problem
  • Defensive value (versatility vs elite corner)
  • Big Arm

It was only signed 2 years ago but that contract is ~4/63, +13 M option in today's money. Maybe Chapman has a higher ceiling and better WAR due to defense. If you add another 10% and make the option firm, is Chapman worth 5/85 M? It's not too far off of the Spotrac Market Value of 6/103 M.

Switching Chapman for Bregman frees up ~3 M in the CBT this year. Then Bregman would hopefully bring us a cheap controllable reliever and a mid-tier prospect. Are we worse in 2024? Maybe, but we address a need that isn't being addressed and keep a plus player at 3B for the foreseeable future. Plus Chappy has a swing that;s built for MMP (+5 HR a season per Savant). We lock down enough positions for reasonable amounts then maybe Crane will spend big to keep a Tucker or Framber around a little bit.

Mathguy64
AG
You can't have a hard cap without a hard floor. And I can't see owners doing that. Some want to be able to spend as little as possible.
The Porkchop Express
AG
bearkatag15 said:

should be Yordan easily
Is Lars Nootbarr some sort of Scandinavian Willy Wonka?
Ag4life80
AG
Man, Bryan Reynolds has certainly taken a tumble

and Yelich, dang
iBrad
AG
Ag4life80 said:

Man, Bryan Reynolds has certainly taken a tumble

and Yelich, dang

Somewhere on here, I projected Tucker to be a player similar to Yelich. He's gotten pretty close. An MVP this year would do it.

If we are to sign Tucker long term, I hope his career doesn't continue to follow that of Yelich.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
3 years / $50mm is just nuts for Neris
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Somebody will pay that and get a load of regression
Farmer1906
AG
Tuve #2 on the Top 10 list.

He's been top 10 10 years in a row including #1 5x.

HOF!
Farmer1906
AG
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

HOF!
They very definition the writers cite. Best or dominate for a 10-year period. He's a first ballot HOFer. When he hits the HOF nomination, it's going to be extremely interesting to see how they handle it.

It's going to piss off a lot of people either way.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

I would have said 3rd behind Mookie and Semien too as far as this past year was concerned. MLB putting a lot of respect on Altuve's name.

Hard to argue Mookie isn't #1. He's amazing.
Mathguy64
AG
Beat40 said:

Farmer1906 said:

HOF!
They very definition the writers cite. Best or dominate for a 10-year period. He's a first ballot HOFer. When he hits the HOF nomination, it's going to be extremely interesting to see how they handle it.

He should be a no doubt, +90% first ballot selection. Arguably top 3 all time at his position. Modern era no doubt. Guys from 1900-1920 are so hard to compare to modern era players but Hornsby, Collins and Lajoie have to be in the discussion. Then arguably the greatest playoff performer ever.

I have a private bet with myself he doesn't get in the first time.
Farmer1906
AG
He'll be "punished" by not getting in first ballot.
BadAggie
AG
Neris for $50MM feels crazy.

Then again, so does whichever of the 10 year, $300MM contracts that were handed out last offseason like candy.

As pointed out above, really need Montero to get it together, especially in light of the Graveman news.

Problem for 2024 is we need a trader/dealer type GM. But yes for long haul we need the draft savant GM which we have.

So really need Montero to get it together.
Beat40
Mathguy64 said:

Beat40 said:

Farmer1906 said:

HOF!

He should be a no doubt, +90% first ballot selection. Arguably top 3 all time at his position. Modern era no doubt. Guys from 1900-1920 are so hard to compare to modern era players but Hornsby, Collins and Lajoie have to be in the discussion. Then arguably the greatest playoff performer ever.

I have a private bet with myself he doesn't get in the first time.
Sadly I agree.

However, maybe by the time he's eligible enough of the old guard writers with a HOF vote will be retired by then. It does seem like the last couple of years the media has started to separate Altuve out a little bit from the rest of the 2017 team.
Sea Speed
AG
What pisses me off about that is the dude by all accounts is a stand up guy. It will be infuriating if the voters posture over that 2017 bs that was league wide. If they want to see a body of work there aren't gonna be many better than altuves.
Twisted Helix
Get ready to be infuriated. It's going to happen.
tjack16
AG
Only way Altuve gets the HOF is likely if he gets 3,000 hits and another title. Or just 3000

3,000 hits and 500 HR is kind of the concrete marker on auto-admission unless you tested positive for roids.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
By the time he's eligible yes that will be auto admission but it won't be required. If so no one will get in again, because that's not happening going forward.
Wabs
AG
Stats are stats. But ask the question: is this player the best of his generation at his position. If the answer is yes, then he should be a 1st ballot HOFer. Altuve clearly meets that standard.
Farmer1906
AG
100% Agree.

But let's look at the stats anyway.

Since 2000 (all players)
  • 54th in PA
  • 25th WAR
  • 31st wRC+ (min 5k PA)
  • 36th Hits
  • 40th Doubles
  • 111th Home Runs
  • 41st in Runs
  • 124th RBI
  • 16th SB

Since 2000 (primary 2B)
  • 7th PA
  • 3rd WAR (Behind juicer Cano & Utley)
  • 1st wRC+ (Kent is right behind him)
  • 4th Hits (Will move into 2nd this year)
  • 5th Doubles (Will move into 3rd this year)
  • 9th Home Runs (Will move into 5th or 6th this year)
  • 5th Runs (Will move into 3rd or 4th this year)
  • 8th RBI (Will move into 6th or 7th this year
  • 1st SB

Altuve will be top 3 pretty much across the board at this position. The only guys close are Cano (juicer), Utley (should be in), Kent (borderline), and Soriano (Hall of Very Good).

None of these guys have Altuve's postseason heroics. He might go down as the best power (yes, power) hitter in October ever.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Speaking of Altuve, should we be concerned that we've heard no talk about an extension? I really hope that's taken care of before the season starts.
cc10106
Twisted Helix said:

Yep. The nimrod voters will gladly make an example out of him. They're that delusional and biased.
Beat40
cc10106 said:

Twisted Helix said:

Yep. The nimrod voters will gladly make an example out of him. They're that delusional and biased.

I still don't think they will keep him out totally if the numbers are there.

He just may be punished on the first ballot.

Look at media around him the past couple of years. Newer media, and I remember even Ken Rosenthal, separate Altuve out a little bit from the 2017 stuff. Altuve might owe Tony Adams a signed jersey and a beer. Media referenced Tony's work a lot these past few years in regards to Altuve.
Beat40
tjack16 said:

Only way Altuve gets the HOF is likely if he gets 3,000 hits and another title. Or just 3000

3,000 hits and 500 HR is kind of the concrete marker on auto-admission unless you tested positive for roids.

Disagree. If he has three more 2022 seasons, he will be right there with Joe Morgan except for the RBI.
Wabs
AG
IIRC David Ortiz was 1st ballot. They didn't make him "pay" for very high suspicion that he roided.
Mathguy64
AG
Wabs said:

IIRC David Ortiz was 1st ballot. They didn't make him "pay" for very high suspicion that he roided.

And by suspicion you mean "failed a test"
Wabs
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Wabs said:

And by suspicion you mean "failed a test"
Correct. But he was never punished in any way by MLB. So it's just "suspicion".
W
AG
yep, couldn't hit a lick in Minnesota

then arrives in Boston in 2003...OPS jumps 130 points...and eventually by 200 points in the following years

remarkable
bearkatag15
AG

Another vote for Wagner
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Terminus Est
I think Omar Vizquel should get in, I know his offense was legitimately bad but 11 golden gloves at shortstop is insane.
Terminus Est
W said:

yep, couldn't hit a lick in Minnesota

then arrives in Boston in 2003...OPS jumps 130 points...and eventually by 200 points in the following years

remarkable
Remember, cheaters never win....except in sports where you make $160,000,000 after turning from a dude who hits a HR every 25 AB, to a dude who hits a home run every 12.
agproducer
AG
Terminus Est said:

I think Omar Vizquel should get in, I know his offense was legitimately bad but 11 golden gloves at shortstop is insane.
One of -- if not the best defensive SS ever -- but he's not going to get in due to the stuff after his retirement.
First Page Last Page
Page 179 of 322

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.