***Official Houston Astros 2023-24 Offseason Thread*** [Staff Warning - OP]

937,360 Views | 11245 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Lonestar_Ag09
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Terminus Est said:

Farmer1906 said:

This looks legit. Do we have anything like this?

These are the fun things you can do when you have Adley Rutschman and Gunnar Henderson in Pre-arb, and Anthony Santander, Austin Hays and Cedric Mullins cost you less than Montero.

Maybe but I think this probably has more to do with Baltimore being way behind others when it comes to international facilities and they're playing catch up. They have a major spending problem at the big league level. They should be going all in with arms to win now while all these guys are so cheap.
tjack16
AG

iBrad
AG
We already have three top-15 relief pitcher salaries in Presley, Montero, and Graveman.
tjack16
AG
In hindsight the Graveman trade was a miss.
AggiEE
This offseason has sucked
EastCoastAgNc
AG

We need some good vibes. This is as of July of 2022
EastCoastAgNc
AG
tjack16
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

We need some good vibes. This is as of July of 2022

My favorites (not counting postseason) all came from the 2021 season.

Walk off slam vs Texas
Walk off vs Yankees (the comeback)
Grand slam in San Fran
Farmer1906
AG
Top Ten RF tonight. Where does TED land? I think anywhere from 3 to 6 is in play.
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Top Ten RF tonight. Where does TED land? I think anywhere from 3 to 6 is in play.

I'd say 3 or 4. But it depends on who they count as a right fielder. Like Aaron judge is more of a CF now but idk how they will classify him
Farmer1906
AG

Sorry I underestimated TED
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16
AG
Is Betts fully center field now? Thats who I assumed would be #2 behind Acuna
Farmer1906
AG
He's Second Base now.
Ag4life80
AG
I'd take Garcia over Hernandez any day
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

Sorry I underestimated TED
Yeah - he's gonna get that big contract with lots of years.
Farmer1906
AG
Kind of had a strange idea, but what if you had 2 rotations going at once.

Rotation A
Verlander
Framber
Javier
Brown
France

Rotation B
Urquidy
Bielak
Arrighetti

Bullpen
Pressly
Abreu
Montero
Sousa
Coleman

Like normal, Rotation A goes every 5th day. They give you around 5 innings.

Rotation B isn't quite set in stone going every 5th day. Occasionally they rest 3 days, instead of 4.. They target 3 innings (once thru the order plus) and piggyback off the starter. They are used regularly. No skipping to overuse the bullpen.

Finally, the Bullpen is used as normal. Close-out games. Relieve the starter and finish the inning so rotation B can start in a fresh inning. Or when Rotation B isn't pitching they finish the last 3 to 4 innings.

When you want to ramp down for a key starter, they move from rotation A to B or are limited to 50-70 pitches in a few starts and the Rotation B arm is expected to ramp up from 40-50 piches to 60+ for a game. This takes advantage of how many starters we have, it limited pitches per outing to hopefully keep guys healthy, and avoids having guys push to a 3rd time thru the lineup when they're not on.

I quickly did the math and I don't think anyone role gets overused.

redline248
AG
Have you ever sent a resume to the Astros?
Marvin
AG
I'm all for having long relievers in Urquidy and others (Garcia when he returns?). I wish Dusty would have done it more. Seems like he could never get that "one inning per reliever" mentality out of his head.
tjack16
AG
If there ever was a year for Forrest Whitley this is the year. If not this year then it's not going to happen
Big Al 1992
AG
Verlander is 43 wins away from 300 sitting at 257. May be the last one with a realistic shot at it for the foreseeable future. If - and huge if - he can stay healthy enough to get one last 17-18 win season it should be doable to scramble a couple of 12-14 win final seasons. Would need at least 15 Ws this year to still be a discussion. Would love to see it in an Astro uniform.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
I say the Astros go back to their space city roots and innovate in the outfield. Strap jet packs to each outfielder so they can elevate to take away home runs. Nothing in the rule book says you can't do it. Think the Astros would hire me?
Terminus Est
Farmer1906 said:

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if 1,000,000 lispy metrosexuals suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced

The Porkchop Express
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Farmer posted this in the HOF thread.

Voting Update:

Public Ballots: 154
Anonymous/Unverifiable Ballots: 10

% of Ballots Known: 42.7%
Last Updated: 1/16/24 at 07:59 PST

Adrin Beltr 98.8%
Joe Mauer 82.9%
Todd Helton 82.9%
Billy Wagner 79.3%
Gary Sheffield 75.0%
--75%--
Andruw Jones 72.0%
Carlos Beltrn 66.5%
Chase Utley 44.5%
lex Rodrguez 40.2%

So can anyone alive explain to me why Chase Utley has 44.5% of the vote and Berkman got 5 votes?

Anyone?
Berkman's problem was the first ballot he was on. Let's look over who else was on that ballot.
Remember if I'm Joe Baseball voter, I've got 10 votes to cast here.

Berkman vs. Mariano Rivera: Rivera got 100% of the vote. That's 1 of my votes

Berkman vs. Roy Halladay: This is the first vote Halladay was in after his untimely death in 2017. No way I' not voting for him, I'll look like a monster. That's 2 of my votes

Berkman vs. Edgar Martinez: It was Martinez's 10th year of eligibility. The guy hit .312 with a .933 OPS for his CAREER. The push to get him in was real. That's 3 of my votes.
Berkman vs. Mike Mussina: Mussina won 270 games, 7 gold gloves and was a 5-time all-star and played hihis entire career on the East Coast in the limelight of the AL East That's 4 of my votes

The next bunch of guys were all tied up in the steroid realm - Curt Schilling, Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds. All three were in their 7th year of eligibility. If you think they should't get in because of the steroids, I'm cool with that. But I cannot look myself in the mirror and think that Lance Berkman was better than any of those three guys. That gets me to 7 of my votes used up.

Berkman vs. Larry Walker. Yes, he's a Colorado guy, but he was a fantastic player before he got to Colorado, finishing in the top 10 MVP voting 3 times before.Colorado, then winning one while he was there. And unlike Berkman, he was a mofo on defense, with a cannon for an arm. Larry Walker had a better career than Lance Berkman, so that's 8 of my votes used up.

Berkman vs. Omar Vizquel, who is the 2nd greatest defensive shortstop of al time behind Ozzie. Vizquel sucked ass early on on offense, but then he became a force and wound up with 2,877 career hits and 404 stolen bases. He also won 11 Gold Gloves at an incredibly difficult position. Vizquel had a better career than Lance, so that's 9 of my votes used up.

So I've got 1 vote left at this point for the other 26 guys on the ballot:
Let's just look at the hitters that finished ahead of Berkman in voting:
Fred McGriff, Manny Ramirez, Jeff Kent, Scott Rolen, Todd Helton, Gary Sheffield, Sammy Sosa, Andruw Jones, Michael Young, Miguel Tejada.

10 guys, and Lance makes 11. Here is how he rates on key stats among those 11.
Games played: 11th
Runs scored: 10th
Hits: 11th
Home Runs: 8th
RBI: 10th

He had great slash numbers 4th in that bunch in average and 3rd in OPS.. But people vote for the HOF on your body of work, and Lance hung it up earlier than most.

Throw int he fact that you had pitchers like Billy Wagner and Andy Petitte also competing for that vote and you see how he got so few. It's not fair, but it's the way that the Hall has always been decided. I would suspect he'll get in with that Veterans Committee at some point down the road.

Farmer1906
AG
Omar Vizquel was Jeremy Pena for 24 years. HOF my ass.
Farmer1906
AG
Top 10 Update:

Starting Pitchers - #4 Justin Verlander
Catcher - #8 Yainer Diaz
Short Stop - none
Right Fielders - #2 Kyle Tucker

Schedule
Jan. 17: Second basemen - I am guessing Tuve #3 behind Betts & Semien
Jan. 18: First basemen - none
Jan. 24: Left fielders - I assume Yordan is here since DH isn't on the schedule. He should be #1.
Jan. 25: Center fielders - Chas should crack the top 10 (I think 6-8) after a big year, but there is a ton of competition with Judge, Julio, Lubob, Trout, Belli.
Jan. 31: Third basemen - Breggy should be in the 4-6 range
Feb. 1: Relief pitchers - Pressly is probably a no, but Abreu has a shot. 132.1 IP, 1.84 ERA over the last 2 season!
cc10106
This doesn't even include Blanco who helped a lot at times last year.
Farmer1906
AG
cc10106 said:

This doesn't even include Blanco who helped a lot at times last year.
True. I was putting names out there to help visualize it.

It also doesn't have McCullers and Garics. They would both be ideal candidates to be in rotation B or have rotation B come in after them until fully built up.

Then come postseason time when starting rotations shrink, tons of guys have experience coming out of the pen.
AgLA06
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I feel like you and Porkchop spent a lot of time and analysis telling us that Pena's stats were much better than we felt they were to turn around and say someone who did that 24 years doesn't deserve a shot at the HOF.
Farmer1906
AG
AgLA06 said:

Farmer1906 said:

I feel like you and Porkchop spent a lot of time and analysis telling us that Pena's stats were much better than we felt they were to turn around and say someone who did that 24 years doesn't deserve a shot at the HOF.
That's funny.

There are levels to all things. Pena is above suckage, but below all time great.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
The Porkchop Express
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Omar isn't in the Hall of Fame. But I think he had a better career than Lance Berkman did. His last 2 Gold Gloves came at ages 38 and 39. You don't play 24 years at shortstop if you suck.
The Porkchop Express
AG
I do not think Pena is a good player. I think he did not bother to work on his skill set after 2022 and it showed across the board in 2023.
Farmer1906
AG
Why did he get better at not chasing, whiffing, and striking out while drawing more walks? Dumb luck?
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Top 10 Update:

Starting Pitchers - #4 Justin Verlander
Catcher - #8 Yainer Diaz
Short Stop - none
Right Fielders - #2 Kyle Tucker

Schedule
Jan. 17: Second basemen - I am guessing Tuve #3 behind Betts & Semien
Jan. 18: First basemen - none
Jan. 24: Left fielders - I assume Yordan is here since DH isn't on the schedule. He should be #1.
Jan. 25: Center fielders - Chas should crack the top 10 (I think 6-8) after a big year, but there is a ton of competition with Judge, Julio, Lubob, Trout, Belli.
Jan. 31: Third basemen - Breggy should be in the 4-6 range
Feb. 1: Relief pitchers - Pressly is probably a no, but Abreu has a shot. 132.1 IP, 1.84 ERA over the last 2 season!

They have Yordan & Chas in LF. I think that means Alvarez at 1 by a long shot and Chas in the top 5. Kind of a weak group.
First Page Last Page
Page 177 of 322

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.