***Official Houston Astros 2023-24 Offseason Thread*** [Staff Warning - OP]

937,434 Views | 11245 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Lonestar_Ag09
Project Gemini
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dear Montero,

We need you.
Marvin
AG
Just means more minor league arms in the pen. Oh well, throw a bunch and see who stinks and who sticks.
Farmer1906
AG
This looks legit. Do we have anything like this?

tjack16
AG
With arm injuries becoming more rampant… we should have been signing guys early in the offseason. You have to assume you'll face injuries every season.
AgLA06
AG
A quick scan makes it sound like us and most teams had academies in Venezuela and the Dominican. However, it seems that with the uncertainty, pretty much all have shut down Venezuela operations.
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015
AG
Yeah… no way around it. This is not good at all.
Mr.Bond
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Yeah… no way around it. This is not good at all.

If crane wants to contend next year he has no option other than to go through the ceiling plain and simple end of story
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Farmer1906
AG
Just wait. We'll look back at the unhittable 5-6-7th innings of Coleman, Whitley, & Montero and marvel at our depth.
Mathguy64
AG
"Hector. $10mm a year, 3 years. The catch? You have to defer it for 5 years."
Taxman90
AG
Maybe it has already been decided but they really need to figure out if they are going to live above or below the cap this year. If not going over then they need to look at trades to offload salary because they are within a million or two of the first layer.

If we aren't going to trade one of our hitting stars or starting pitching then the only option I see is Pressley. We have Abreu as a replacement but that shortens the bullpen further. Maybe we can get 1 very good and two good relievers for $15 million?

If we aren't trading a big salary guy then I'm not sure what our options are other than adding minimum salary guys.
AustinCountyAg
I predict they sign some veteran guys with big league camp invites and see who's hot and gives them a shot. Then reevaluate around July and make a move if needed
Farmer1906
AG
Hard pass. Neris is primed for a big step back. He's getting up there is years too. Give him the 8.5 we already has an option year for then tack on a new option for 7 M next year. I think that's probably closer to market value for a good 7th inning guy.
tjack16
AG
If only they knew they'd need bullpen arms sooner… oh wait… we've been saying it since late October
agproducer
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

I predict they sign some veteran guys with big league camp invites and see who's hot and gives them a shot. Then reevaluate around July and make a move if needed
I'd be for this. I'd like to see what we can get out of Coleman.

There are several other FAs that are out there. They may be JAGs, but I think you get a couple of them along with the young organizational guys to hold it together until July and re-evaluate.
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer posted this in the HOF thread.

Voting Update:

Public Ballots: 154
Anonymous/Unverifiable Ballots: 10

% of Ballots Known: 42.7%
Last Updated: 1/16/24 at 07:59 PST

Adrin Beltr 98.8%
Joe Mauer 82.9%
Todd Helton 82.9%
Billy Wagner 79.3%
Gary Sheffield 75.0%
--75%--
Andruw Jones 72.0%
Carlos Beltrn 66.5%
Chase Utley 44.5%
lex Rodrguez 40.2%

So can anyone alive explain to me why Chase Utley has 44.5% of the vote and Berkman got 5 votes?

Anyone?
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

If only they knew they'd need bullpen arms sooner… oh wait… we've been saying it since late October

Are you suggesting there aren't arms to sign? I have no doubt Brown has been trying.

Aroldis Chapman
Josh Hader
Robert Stephenson
Ryan Brasier
David Robertson
Hector Neris
Shintaro Fujinami
Jesse Chavez
Ryne Stanek
Keynan Middleton
Jay Jackson
Jose Cisnero
Jorley Rodriguez
Scott Alexander
Jake Diekman
Wandy peralta
John Brebbia
Matt Moore
Aaron Loop
Collin McHugh
Victor Arano
Matt Bush
Justin Wilson
Brett Martin
Anthony Bass
Liam Hendricks
Lou Trivino
Richard Bleier
Adam Ottavino
Matt Barnes
Brad Hand
Derek law
Zach McAllister
Amir Garrett
Alex Reyes
Phil Maton
Chasen Shreve
Drew Pomeranz
Michael Fulmer
Farmer1906
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Farmer posted this in the HOF thread.

Voting Update:

Public Ballots: 154
Anonymous/Unverifiable Ballots: 10

% of Ballots Known: 42.7%
Last Updated: 1/16/24 at 07:59 PST

Adrin Beltr 98.8%
Joe Mauer 82.9%
Todd Helton 82.9%
Billy Wagner 79.3%
Gary Sheffield 75.0%
--75%--
Andruw Jones 72.0%
Carlos Beltrn 66.5%
Chase Utley 44.5%
lex Rodrguez 40.2%

So can anyone alive explain to me why Chase Utley has 44.5% of the vote and Berkman got 5 votes?

Anyone?
Chase is only being slightly disrespected whole Lance got the full-on slap in the face.

Look at the 2B in the HOF and look at Chase. He is deserving.

From 05 to 09 he had a 38.4 WAR with a 138 wRC+ & .922 OPS. If you got back 6 yars (one extra for Covid) the only guy with a WAR that can match it is Mookie with 38.4 WAR (same), 152 wRC+, & .942 OPS.
SECcess12
Not surprised. We don't want long contracts and when one of them gets injured, this is what happens. Especially when you have 2-3 pitchers coming off significant injuries or extended injuries.
Mathguy64
AG
Utley also played the last 6 seasons of his career being basically worthless. His OPS+ in the 70-80 range.

He's not a HOF player IMHO.

But I'm just being an old man yelling at clouds over him and Lance. I'll do it next year too I'm sure.
Farmer1906
AG
I think you may be mistaken.

His last 6 seasons OPS+ was 98, about league average. He was an All Star in 2014 (age 35 season).

His last 4 years were fairly normal enough of career stuff (age 36-39) with a solid decline.

Baseball Ref has him 12th all time in 2B.

His career isn't too far off our very own Altuve thru age 35.

I don't want to derail any longer, but I think he's right in line with his peers at the position with a nice postseason career as well.
Mathguy64
AG
His last 6 years of OPS+ only twice above 90.

ETA.

Ok. I'm also an idiot. His 2015 is between 3 teams. But he's still got 2 of 4 way low.

I'll stop yelling at clouds.
Farmer1906
AG
Your triple counting 2015. You can hide partial rows at the top.

Edit: all good, my friend.
W
AG
the other thing about Utley...

the last impression he left on fans and voters was the brutal takeout slide at 2B several years ago

it was incredibly callous and mean-spirited and vicious --- something we don't see nowadays in the game

especially for a middle infielder to do that to another middle infielder

RED AG 98
AG
I know it's been mentioned here a few times but has there actually been serious discussion or comment from the org about an LMJ bullpen experiment? He's got experience obviously and I think would be good to great in high leverage.
Mr.Bond
AG
RED AG 98 said:

I know it's been mentioned here a few times but has there actually been serious discussion or comment from the org about an LMJ bullpen experiment? He's got experience obviously and I think would be good to great in high leverage.
Id be happy if he could actually contribute ever again in ANY way
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

RED AG 98
AG
Mr.Bond said:

RED AG 98 said:

Id be happy if he could actually contribute ever again in ANY way
Me too! I like this aspect of it for him as well as I would think ~20-30 pitches every few days would be a lot easier on his body which is evidently made of glass.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
n_touch
my new life goal is to become an Astros pitcher. They get lot's of paid time off.
Taxman90
AG
For HOF voting I am not a big fan of relying on the peak years if they don't span long enough. Many voters do look at that and it should be a factor. I just think the career in its entirety should heavily outweigh that. But Utley does seem to compare well to other 2b so maybe I need to look at him again.
Mr.Bond
AG
I guess one question is...... why wasnt this surgery done 3 months ago?

MAGA

Farmer1906
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Quote:

Astros said Graveman underwent a program of rest and rehab before returning to a flat ground throwing program in preparation for Spring Training. However, the discomfort in his shoulder returned after he began throwing.
Mr.Bond
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Mr.Bond said:

Quote:

Astros said Graveman underwent a program of rest and rehab before returning to a flat ground throwing program in preparation for Spring Training. However, the discomfort in his shoulder returned after he began throwing.

Good God

MAGA

Beat40
Mr.Bond said:

Farmer1906 said:

Mr.Bond said:

Quote:

Good God
I mean - surgery should usually be seen as the last option, right? The question is just who was pushing for the rest and rehab program and the analyzing of the progress Kendall was making on that program.

Sucky situation all the way around.
Terminus Est
Farmer1906 said:

This looks legit. Do we have anything like this?

These are the fun things you can do when you have Adley Rutschman and Gunnar Henderson in Pre-arb, and Anthony Santander, Austin Hays and Cedric Mullins cost you less than Montero.
First Page Last Page
Page 176 of 322

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.