***Official Houston Astros 2023-24 Offseason Thread*** [Staff Warning - OP]

937,574 Views | 11245 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Lonestar_Ag09
YellAg2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ah, the beautiful foreign country of Pennsylvania.
Terminus Est
Man, I didn't realize we were paying Caratini $6,000,000 a year. Is that the going rate for a backup catcher nowadays?
iBrad
AG
If you want a decent catcher, yes. Maldy made $4M last season and you saw what that gets you.

We're only paying $770K for Diaz, so considering the position as a whole, I expect the production to be a bargain.
Farmer1906
AG
Terminus Est said:

Man, I didn't realize we were paying Caratini $6,000,000 a year. Is that the going rate for a backup catcher nowadays?

I think he'll be playing quite a bit more than the average backup. A 1+ WAR player is worth more than 6 M.
Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Terminus Est said:

I think he'll be playing quite a bit more than the average backup. A 1+ WAR player is worth more than 6 M.

Is it still around $8-10 million per war on the open market?
Farmer1906
AG
I believe that is what Fangraphs calculates. Others have broken is down by position, so it kind of fluctuates based on method.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Now would be a great time to fleece them on a trade involving Corey Julks. Too bad we don't have any left handed pitchers we could trade,, we could get literally anything for one.
Tuve
It's kinda hilarious how the Rangers have the best season in franchise history, which you would think would lead to a lot more offseason interest, yet we have 5,000 more
posts in our offseason thread than theirs.
agproducer
AG
Good for Dusty.

Yes, he's old and set in his ways. He would frustrate the hell out of me.

But I have nothing but love for him.

He was the right guy at the right time for the Astros.
Mr.Bond
AG

Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Farmer1906
AG
Tuve said:

It's kinda hilarious how the Rangers have the best season in franchise history, which you would think would lead to a lot more offseason interest, yet we have 5,000 more

Were some baseball sickos. (I'm listening to a Mariners podcast at the moment). They kind of came out of no where and won it all. They'll build their fanbase up if they stay good for a few more years.
agproducer
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Tuve said:

Were some baseball sickos. (I'm listening to a Mariners podcast at the moment). They kind of came out of no where and won it all. They'll build their fanbase up if they stay good for a few more years.

Sicko here. I'm always scouring the web for baseball news and Astros news. It's January 15th, and I'm thinking more about the upcoming season than the NFL playoffs or this Arctic blast. I have a problem.
spadilly
S
I'm ready for baseball weather.
Mathguy64
AG
Yeah. It's 21 and headed down to 15 tonight. Cold is what is on my mind.
W
AG
Blake Snell has had a strange career

2-time Cy Young winner, but only a 1-time all-star

he's only received votes for the Cy Young in 2 of his 8 seasons -- the 2 times he won the award

a high standard deviation player
Mathguy64
AG
He also doesn't go deep. He averages hair over 5 IP/start. By comparison JV is at 6.5 IP/start.

He's got great stats but he's been taken out over his whole career before anything bad could happen.
Farmer1906
AG
His Cy young season last year:
-14th in WAR
-13th in xERA
-13th in FIP
-13th in xFIP
-22nd in WHIP

Seems like his 23 results aren't repeatable. He won't continue to be the escape artist he was.
Mathguy64
AG
Pitching WAR is counting stats? I honestly don't know but his lower IP/start would affect that. Not sure about the others.

I just think he's a 5 IP/start guy who had benefitted from being pulled before he sees a lineup a 3rd time on a consistent basis. You need to factor that in if you are paying him what Boras says he's worth.
Farmer1906
AG
Yes, WAR is somewhat of a counting stat.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Tuve said:

they're also all Cowgirl fans and care more about that than rangers. So their attention was immediately diverted after the WS.
Beau Holder
AG
Tuve said:

Too busy knowing this was the Cowboys' year, until next year.
Beau Holder
AG
spadilly said:

Gotta specify MLB weather. Aggie baseball weather is always completely awful for the first week or two.
Ag4life80
AG
Snell is a total wild card. Not worth what he wants except in a contract year.
JYDog90
AG
Beau Holder said:

spadilly said:

Gotta specify MLB weather. Aggie baseball weather is always completely awful for the first week or two.

Yep, coldest place on earth.
Formerly Willy Wonka
EastCoastAgNc
AG

According to this, Yariel Rodrguez is likely going to Toronto.
Farmer1906
AG

Quote:

On Dec. 29, ESPN's Enrique Rojas reported that the Blue Jays had "taken the lead" in the bidding for Cuban free-agent right-hander Yariel Rodrguez. Over the past 2 1/2 weeks, I have consistently heard the same. The Jays are optimistic they will land Rodrguez, according to a source briefed on their pursuits. But hurdles evidently remain in his immigration, preventing the Jays from completing a deal.

Rodrguez, who turns 27 on March 10, pitched mainly as a starter in Cuba from 2015 to '19. He joined a Japanese club, the Chunichi Dragons, in '20, and produced a monster season as a reliever in '22. After starting again for Cuba last spring in the World Baseball Classic, he sat out the season rather than report back to the Dragons. Major League Baseball recognized him as a free agent in November after the Dragons released him.

How would Rodrguez fit with the Jays or another other club? Likely as a depth starter, at least initially. Rodrguez would need to build up his innings after not pitching last season. He might not be ready to make an impact until the second half. His fallback position is a return to the bullpen. In that sense, he is similar to the Braves' Reynaldo Lpez and Giants' Hicks, two relievers who will be stretched out as starters with their new clubs.

If Rodrguez made a successful transition, he would give the Jays added protection for a rotation that last season finished third in the majors with a 3.85 ERA. He also would loom as an alternative for righty Alek Manoah, who twice was demoted to the minors last season and was shut down in September after receiving multiple injections in his right shoulder.

The Jays, who earlier this offseason pursued Shohei Ohtani in free agency and Juan Soto in a trade, still want to add another hitter, preferably left-handed. One possibility, free agent Joc Pederson, is thought to prefer playing on the West Coast. Brandon Belt, who had 19 homers and an .858 OPS in 404 plate appearances for the Jays last season, has indicated he wants to continue his career. Jorge Soler, J.D. Martinez and Justin Turner are among the right-handed DH types who are still available.

To this point, infielder Isiah Kiner-Falefa and center fielder Kevin Kiermaier are the Jays' only significant additions. They aren't done. They can't be done. Rodrguez eventually could be part of their picture.
Farmer1906
AG

Yuli trying to keep the dream going. As soon as he's done, I hope there is a spot for him in the org.
bearkatag15
AG

Well that's awful
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
JYDog90
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Well that's awful

Nm
Formerly Willy Wonka
Mathguy64
AG
That means finding another arm for the pen. Realistically with the salary level I'm guessing that means we are hoping someone from the minors on a rookie deal decides they want to claim the prize.
Farmer1906
AG
Yikes. Pressure is on now. We gotta find more arms. Preferably ones that can handle some high and med leverage.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
If they don't sign some free agent relievers, Dana is failing at his job. Also likely means Montero isn't going anywhere.
bearkatag15
AG

Not the most encouraging
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Not the most encouraging
Sure, but he has to say that. Can't say publicly we're desperate for arms.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

If they don't sign some free agent relievers, Dana is failing at his job. Also likely means Montero isn't going anywhere.
He also has to work within Crane's parameters. If Crane is giving a hard cap at the CBT then Dana's options shrink significantly. We'd have to make a trade and somehow offload some dollars.
First Page Last Page
Page 175 of 322

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.