***Official Houston Astros 2023-24 Offseason Thread*** [Staff Warning - OP]

937,945 Views | 11245 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Lonestar_Ag09
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Spend all your money so we can land Hicks easier.
linkdude
AG
Not sure the veracity of the claim...2015, what say ye?
CFTXAG10
AG
I think it was an attempt at humor
linkdude
AG
Fair point
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Yankees gave Soto $31m
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Yankees gave Soto $31m

They didn't have much of an option. Thats what he was due this year.

Stroman left 2.5 M on the table if he doesn't opt out. He would have only needed to beat 1/16 M next year to top the contract the Yankees gave him.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Getting everybody good and pissed off over $25k seems like a choice that could be easily avoided
tjack16
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Getting everybody good and pissed off over $25k seems like a choice that could be easily avoided

It's not as extreme but I felt really annoyed we pissed Tucker off for not meeting his 7.5M request.
Farmer1906
AG
2.5 M matters. And if he got 7.5 last year then he probably gets a few million over 12 this year. Same for next year. That hearing, could be the different in about 10 M over 3 years.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

2.5 M matters. And if he got 7.5 last year then he probably gets a few million over 12 this year. Same for next year. That hearing, could be the different in about 10 M over 3 years.

I do feel like that's a small price to pay for a player of his caliber that you'd like to keep happy for future extension talks.
Mathguy64
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

At some point the cost of the arbitrator and your time and effort costs money.
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

Farmer1906 said:

I do feel like that's a small price to pay for a player of his caliber that you'd like to keep happy for future extension talks.

The money saved might be worth a 3rd year of Hicks.

I think we all know an extension isn't happening.
Eso si, Que es
tjack16 said:

Farmer1906 said:

We always knew Tucker would command $300M as a FA and that is not our MO. Not to mention we had already shat on him with him being behind Reddick and only entering his 2 year of arbitration when he realistically should have been a FA this year (pre arb 2018-2020, Arb 21-23).

Unfortunately he was never going to be a lifetime Astro.
redline248
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Chas is looking around like

AggiEE
redline248 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Chas is looking around like

Dubon has more value due to his versatility
Farmer1906
AG

Basically any move puts us over if we're not already. There's no real option to clear salary u less we find someone to take on Montero.
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Basically any move puts us over if we're not already. There's no real option to clear salary u less we find someone to take on Montero.

Or resign someone to an extension and defer the crap out of the $$.
Farmer1906
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Farmer1906 said:

The only one that could make any sense would be Altuve. His AAV is just north of 23 M. Maybe you extend him around 20 M a season. You save 1-2 M but that's about it.
Farmer1906
AG

Beau Holder
AG
Stros losing two offseasons in a row.
The Porkchop Express
AG
It really is something watching the Yankees continue to go the way of blunt force trauma to try and build a winner.

The Rays continue develop great young talent, the Blue Jays are a mix of their own guys and a few free agent splashes, the Orioles' homegrown unit is a blast to watch, and here's New York stacking Soto on top of Stanton on top of Judge like they are the Bash Brothers Version 57, gonna pound you into the ground!

In 2024, they'll pay Soto $31 million, Stanton $32 million and Judge $40 million - $103 million for 3 guys.

Soto just seems like a guy who must be a real PitA. He's this generational talent who is already on his third team by age 25, and kept saying he was interested in staying in Washington, but had Boras turn down offers of 13 years, $350 million and 15 years, $440 million.
tjack16
AG

The Casey Mize one is ridiculous
Project Gemini
AG
Adolis wanting nearly 40% more sounds about right. Hope he's unhappy as hell.
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Mathguy64 said:

Farmer1906 said:

The only one that could make any sense would be Altuve. His AAV is just north of 23 M. Maybe you extend him around 20 M a season. You save 1-2 M but that's about it.

The Ohtani deferment suggests that's not how it works. He should have an AAV of $70MM. He's being paid $2MM. But his cap value is only like $43MM. I think the cap hit is like 60% of the AAV during the deferred period.

It's kicking the cash way down the road and lowering the CBT amount too.

I agree Altuve is the candidate. If you could get him to defer his contract in a Bonilla type deal you would cut your real cash obligation now and your CBT amount by $7-8MM as well. Again you kick the can way down the road but if Crane figures by then he's not in the picture to deal with the ramifications what does he care.
Farmer1906
AG
But in order to get a high level player to accept that kind of deal, you're going to have to overpay them in total dollars. That lessens the money paid out of pocket now but the AAV would still be high.

If Altuve wants 4/80 M and we offer 4/80 with 50 M deferred until 2040 then the AAV would be low but Altuve wouldn't accept. We'd need to do something like 4/150 M with 100 M deferred. That AAV would be about as high.

Ohtani isn't worth 700 M without the deferral. He's probably worth 400-500 M.
Marvin
AG
Didn't I hear a rumor about Crane potentially looking to sell the team? I doubt large deferred contracts help that effort.

Not saying he is- can't remember the chatter- but it's a consideration.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Marvin said:

Didn't I hear a rumor about Crane potentially looking to sell the team? I doubt large deferred contracts help that effort.

Not saying he is- can't remember the chatter- but it's a consideration.

That was a rumor started by that bonda attention ***** on Twitter. Don't believe anything he says, he just throws random crap out hoping to get lucky once.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
cc10106
Sounds like Montero better get right and earn his money by replacing Hector as the 7th inning guy. Not getting my hopes up about Hicks coming home.
Beat40
Project Gemini said:

Why wouldn't he ask for more? He had a hell of a year and arguably carried them through the World Series. You've got to strike while the iron is hot.
n_touch
Beat40 said:

Project Gemini said:

Why wouldn't he ask for more? He had a hell of a year and arguably carried them through the World Series. You've got to strike while the iron is hot.
Right. Juice up that contract while you can
Project Gemini
AG
Beat40 said:

Project Gemini said:

I never said he shouldn't.
First Page Last Page
Page 171 of 322

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.