***Official Houston Astros 2023-24 Offseason Thread*** [Staff Warning - OP]

937,985 Views | 11245 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Lonestar_Ag09
Beat40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Beau Holder said:

Years seem to be our problem with just about everyone (except Abreu and Montero…), whether homegrown or free agents. And I get why, but I'm afraid of the potential that the entire market may trend too far away from Crane's strategy soon.

Even it trends away, I think it will flux back within the next couple of years. A lot of these deals are going to not be good in two years.

Everyone thought what the Braves did with extensions to their young guys would become the trend.

I'm not worried about it as long as the farm can remain solid.
Farmer1906
AG
I've kind of waffled on what the plan of action should be to improve this offseason. If the team is good to go on offense, isn't really considering trading the top guys with short years left, and not willing to make a splash in the SP market (or SP trade market) then I think a loaded BP is the way to go. 7-8-9 of Hicks-Abreu-Pressly is arguable the best in baseball with a few othered in the mix.
2ndChanceAg96
AG
Just give Hicks the 3 years already. Jeez man.
Farmer1906
AG

This is 125k under the projection.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

250k under MLBTR projection.
1836er
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Now that's some good damn news.
Mathguy64
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

That's a lot of banana puddin'
Ags #1
AG
Bryan Abreu and the #Astros have reached a settlement for $1.75 million contract for 2024, avoiding arbitration.
agproducer
AG
Arbitration is awful -- having to look at your players, then telling the arbitrator why they suck and they shouldn't be paid what they are asking.

Isn't that what really angered Tuck last year?
Farmer1906
AG
Ags #1 said:

Bryan Abreu and the #Astros have reached a settlement for $1.75 million contract for 2024, avoiding arbitration.
250k under MLBTR projection.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

I've kind of waffled on what the plan of action should be to improve this offseason. If the team is good to go on offense, isn't really considering trading the top guys with short years left, and not willing to make a splash in the SP market (or SP trade market) then I think a loaded BP is the way to go. 7-8-9 of Hicks-Abreu-Pressly is arguable the best in baseball with a few othered in the mix.

I think this is the way to go. It's why I'm more ok with giving Hicks the third year, especially with coming to the agreement with Abreu.

I think there could be some opportunity at the deadline if they need it.
3B Paul 97
AG
2ndChanceAg96 said:

Just give Hicks the 3 years already. Jeez man.

Maybe 2 years and a Tasso ham? Or case of Breggy Bomb salsa?

2ndChanceAg96
AG
Hicks doesn't look too cajun so I'm guessing the Breggy Bomb Salsa. LOL
Farmer1906
AG
Beat40 said:

Farmer1906 said:

I think this is the way to go. It's why I'm more ok with giving Hicks the third year, especially with coming to the agreement with Abreu.

I think there could be some opportunity at the deadline if they need it.

Good point about the deadline. If we have something in Coleman and/or Sousa or if we're feeling good about the return of Garcia & McCullers, maybe don't do anything at the deadline. If we're not, then the bullpen can be shored up.
agproducer
AG
Look! MLB social media is drunk!

EastCoastAgNc
AG
The Rockies? Seriously? As long as they have their current owner they won't sniff the playoffs.
Mathguy64
AG
All that money and LA wins one WS. That's going to be hilarious is that happens.

And Pirates? Yeah. Someone is drunk.
n_touch
agproducer said:

Look! MLB social media is drunk!

Well that settles it. Start the rebuild
tjack16
AG
Obviously those predictions have zero validity and are just for fun on their part… but not picking us to win at least the AL at any point over the next 3-5 years is criminal

Hell I'd even say the Rangers likely win another pennant due to their upcoming prospects. The blue jays won't win one
carpediem13
AG
Bulldog73
AG
Now on to that extension. (I know, I know, but I a guy can dream).
redline248
AG
What did Tucker get last year?
cc10106
I guess Tucker learned his lesson.
Farmer1906
AG
redline248 said:

What did Tucker get last year?

5 M after he asked for 7.5 M.
redline248
AG
So 12 probably seems like a good number. I wonder if there were any extension talks before settling on this. Or will they start now?
Farmer1906
AG
I am guessing they're separate discussions and agreeing on a # probably has little impact on the extension.
Sleeping Giant
carpediem13
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
tjack16
AG
How awesome would that be to make $12M salary in your 20s and know that's probably the least amount you'll make in a season over the next 10-12 years. What a life
EastCoastAgNc
AG
2ndChanceAg96
AG
Then sign Hicks!!
Farmer1906
AG
Think he'll take 600k?
2ndChanceAg96
AG
Lol. Keep squeezing!!
First Page Last Page
Page 170 of 322

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.