***Official Houston Astros 2023-24 Offseason Thread*** [Staff Warning - OP]

938,709 Views | 11245 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Lonestar_Ag09
TRM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

EastCoastAgNc
AG

mwm
The talk about Bauer reminded me of this picture.
tjack16
AG
mwm said:

I like this video
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Be careful sliding into DM's, it can backfire on you
07ag
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

You might be the only post ever on here with a U…

We don't really "do that" around here lol

Yeah this thread all has Ag tags, but you give them 20 championships for their sports teams and instead of even 19 for the Astros and 1 for Aggie football they pick 20 for the Astros. It's wild in here.

5 each for Aggie football, Aggie baseball, Astros, Texans
https://ts.la/eric59704
EastCoastAgNc
AG
07ag said:

mAgnoliAg said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

You might be the only post ever on here with a U…

We don't really "do that" around here lol

Yeah this thread all has Ag tags, but you give them 20 championships for their sports teams and instead of even 19 for the Astros and 1 for Aggie football they pick 20 for the Astros. It's wild in here.

5 each for Aggie football, Aggie baseball, Astros, Texans

I'll take 20 for the Astros. One thing I've learned in 20+ years of following A&M football is that they will always manage to screw it up one way or another.

I have endured Fran, Sherman, Sumlin, and Jimbo. That would lead anyone to the point of apathy when compared to the Astros.
The Porkchop Express
AG
mwm said:

One of my first big freelancing jobs last decade was ghostwriting a book for a guy who was wrongfully convicted of murder and spent 25 years in San Quentin.

He was there the night they brought Scott Peterson in and the guards "accidentally" trotted him through the general population cell block instead of directly to Death Row to give everyone the opportunity to "say hi".
PilotAg24
AG
Farmer1906
AG
From MLBTR Chat

The hall for Framber would be ridiculous. However, it wouldn't be a top of the line starter.
McInnis
AG
I'm sorry if this has been covered here, I haven't kept up with the off- season thread much. But I have a question for you guys concerning the Michigan football team.

They were caught stealing signs this season. Harbaugh was suspended for 3 games and all was forgiven. No NCAA sanctions, no loss of scholarships or bowl games, and no lingering bad press. I don't even see mention of it on social media from other players or fans. It's been forgotten. The national media is going through a full blown love fest with them and Harbaugh might be about to get the biggest contract ever in college football.

You know where this is headed. What was so different about the Astros of 2017? All I can figure is that the Astros beat the 3 most sacred cows in mlb to win the series that year while Michigan is one of the most sacred cows in the NCAA. Besides that, what's the difference in what they did and the Astros?
Farmer1906
AG
Baseball writers are dorks with self inflated egos. They gaslight everyone.

Football is fine with cheating. Deflate gate, spate, paying amateur athletes, recruiting players on the roster, pulling scholarships, etc.
texasaggie2015
AG
With about 27% of the HOF ballots known, Billy Wagner is at 79.4%.
CFTXAG10
AG
Back in the office this morning running on caffeine and a dream, flipping the calendar to 2024 has me ready for baseball
The Porkchop Express
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Back in the office this morning running on caffeine and a dream, flipping the calendar to 2024 has me ready for baseball
I started 2024 by angrily wondering why we weren't co-favorites with the Dodgers to win the NL and then remembered later that we're about to start our second decade in the AL.
AustinAg2K
McInnis said:

I'm sorry if this has been covered here, I haven't kept up with the off- season thread much. But I have a question for you guys concerning the Michigan football team.

They were caught stealing signs this season. Harbaugh was suspended for 3 games and all was forgiven. No NCAA sanctions, no loss of scholarships or bowl games, and no lingering bad press. I don't even see mention of it on social media from other players or fans. It's been forgotten. The national media is going through a full blown love fest with them and Harbaugh might be about to get the biggest contract ever in college football.

You know where this is headed. What was so different about the Astros of 2017? All I can figure is that the Astros beat the 3 most sacred cows in mlb to win the series that year while Michigan is one of the most sacred cows in the NCAA. Besides that, what's the difference in what they did and the Astros?

It's exactly because of who we beat. Consider that in 2017, we beat the Red Sox, Yankees, and Dodgers. Then consider that in 2017 the Yankees and Red Sox were both caught stealing signs (and the Red Sox again in 2018), and that the Dodgers were known to use their replay room to steal signs (there is an SI article from 2017 praising their ingenuity). No one ever mentions those things. Anyone who really cares about the integrity of the game would also demand that they be punished. No one ever does.

Anyways, as an Astros fan I've learned to just embrace the hate. It's why I'm rooting for Michigan.
The Porkchop Express
AG
86 days until Opening Day. I won't wax nostalgic on my '86 Astros for the 5 millionth time on this thread. I'll just roll the tape.

Just think if you're a Mets fan who saw Nolan pitch for your '69 title team, and here he is SEVENTEEN YEARS LATER destroying you.

This is a game that took 2 days at Wrigley to finish, Astros won 8-7 in 18 innings on a Billy Hatcher HR off Greg Maddux making his MLB debut and rocking an amazing stache. He actually came into the game in the previous inning as a pinch runner!

Doing it up right promo

KTAG05
AG
AustinAg2K said:

McInnis said:

It's exactly because of who we beat. Consider that in 2017, we beat the Red Sox, Yankees, and Dodgers. Then consider that in 2017 the Yankees and Red Sox were both caught stealing signs (and the Red Sox again in 2018), and that the Dodgers were known to use their replay room to steal signs (there is an SI article from 2017 praising their ingenuity). No one ever mentions those things. Anyone who really cares about the integrity of the game would also demand that they be punished. No one ever does.

Anyways, as an Astros fan I've learned to just embrace the hate. It's why I'm rooting for Michigan.
I disagree. I don't think what Michigan did was that big of a deal. My dad coached high school football, and we would always go scout future opponents. I would pick up on hand signals usually by halftime. If you don't think other school were doing the same thing with staffers, you are fooling yourselves.

The difference is the Astros did it live in game not before the game.

Farmer1906
AG
BCSGrubber said:

AustinAg2K said:

McInnis said:

I disagree. I don't think what Michigan did was that big of a deal. My dad coached high school football, and we would always go scout future opponents. I would pick up on hand signals usually by halftime. If you don't think other school were doing the same thing with staffers, you are fooling yourselves.

How does any of this make it better?
KTAG05
AG
I don't think either of them are a big deal. But College football doesn't have Yankee lovers on twitter making up stories.
htxag09
AG
BCSGrubber said:

I don't think either of them are a big deal. But College football doesn't have Yankee lovers on twitter making up stories.
It's because it happened to the Yankees (or that class) of college football......

You think it'd just be brushed away if it were A&M, Miss State, Auburn, etc.? Heck, just look at when A&M had the number 1 recruiting class. Every reporter was talking about how we bought players, facts be damned.
McInnis
AG
BCSGrubber said:

Well OK, but college football does have its version of the Yankees, without near the historical success. And we all know who that is.
JYDog90
AG
BCSGrubber said:

AustinAg2K said:

McInnis said:

I would think it's quite a bit different to have a Michigan coach dressed up like a member of the Central Michigan support staff on CMU's sideline doing recon work.
Formerly Willy Wonka
agproducer
AG
That Maddux video -- HA!

Was his first career strikeout really Danny Darwin?
The Porkchop Express
AG
agproducer said:

That Maddux video -- HA!

Was his first career strikeout really Danny Darwin?
I guess so, but Danny Darwin was a decent hitter, so not bad. Maddux rocking that mustache is the best part.

agproducer
AG
That inning was interesting. Maddux threw mainly fastballs -- which puzzled me. Harry Caray and Steve Stone commented how he had a "live arm." His sinkers had a ton of movement and that curveball/slider he threw to Darwin was really good. I would have liked to see more.
Farmer1906
AG
2024 Records / Milestones to look out for.

Jose Altuve
  • 300 Stolen Bases (Currently 293)
  • All-Time Postseason HRs - 29 Manny Ramirez (Currently 27)
  • All-Time Postseason Double - 22 David Ortiz (4th), 23 Jorge Posada (3rd) (Currently 21)
  • All-Time Postseason RBI - 61 Derek Jeter & David Ortiz (tied for 5th) (Currently 55)
  • HOF Second Baseman WAR - 53.0 Bobby Doerr (15th), 55.1 Billy Herman (14th) (Currently 52.6) - it won't be in 2024 but next up is 59.9 Jackie Robinson, 60.4 Joe Gordon, & 60.9 Ryne Sandberg. Passing that group would be amazing.

Alex Bregman
  • 200 Home Runs (Currently 165) - probably not but he's hit 35+ before.
  • All-Time Astros WAR - 38.7 Jimmy Wynn (7th) (Currently 35.2)
  • All-Time Postseason HRs - 19 Corey Seager, George Springer, & Albert Pujols (tied in 6th), 20 Kyle Schwarber & Derek Jeter (tied in 4th), 22 Bernie Williams (3rd) (Currently 19)
  • All-Time Postseason Runs - 65 Kenny Loftin (5th), 67 Mannie Ramirez (4th) (Currently 63)
  • All-Time Postseason RBI - 54 Albert Pujols (8th), 55 Jose Altuve (7th), 61 Derek Jeter & David Ortiz (tied for 5th) (Currently 54)
  • HOF Third Baseman WAR - 37.9 Pie Traynor (17th), 38.2 George Kell (16th), 41.1 Deacon White (15th) (Currently 35.2) - its nice to say you passed up HOFers at your position but these are all old timers. Breggy needs to stack up another 6 years of 4-5 WAR seasons to get a shot at the HOF.

Yordan Alvarez
  • 500 RBI (Currently 380) - would need a monster year, but he just needs to stay healthy. He averages 128 RBI per 162 for his career.
  • All-Time Astros WAR - 19.2 Ken Caminiti (17th), 20.3 Doug Radar (16th), 20.6 Richard Hildalgo (15th) (Currently 18.6) - technically Watson, Springer, Puhl, & Correa are in range if he has an MVP season, but those are more likely for 2025.
  • All-Time Postseason HRs - too many to list. (Currently 12) - 1 moves him to 21st, 2 to 20th, 3 to 18th, 4 to 16th, etc.
  • All-Time Postseason RBI - too many to list. (Currently 41) - 1 to 13th, 6 to 12th, 7 to 10th

Jose Abreu
  • 1000 RBI (Currently 953)

Kyle Tucker
  • 100 SB (Currently 83)

Ryan Pressly
  • 600 IP (Currently 593.1) - why is 600 IP important...its not, but only 262 pitchers have 600 inning in relief. Pretty impressive.
  • 700 SO (Currently 635) - 700 would put him 81st all time in RP SO.
  • All-Time RP WAR - 10.8 Stu Miller (75th), 10.8 Ugueth Urbina (74th), 10.9 Todd Jones (73rd), 11.0 BJ Ryan (72nd), 11.0 Matt Thorton (71st), 11.2 John Hiller (70th), 11.2 Dellin Betances (69th), 11.3 Josh Hader (68th)... 11.5 Brad Lidge (61st) (Currently 10.7) - Should crack the top 60 in 2025.

Justin Verlander
  • 3500 Strike Outs (Currently 3342) - Could pass Sherzer (3367), Maddux (3371), & maybe even Walter Johnson (3509)
  • 3500 Innings Pitches (Currently 3325.1)
  • All-Time WAR - 82.3 Bob Gibson (16th), 84.4 Pedro Martinez (15th), 85.5 Don Sutton (14th) (Currently 81.3)
  • All-Time Wins - 260 Ted Lyons (41st), 264 Gus Weyhing (40th), 265 Jim McCormick (39th)... 273 Red Ruffing (32nd) (Currently 257) - I don't think JV sniffs 300, but 25-30th all time is special still.
  • All-Time Postseason Wins - 19 Andy Pettitte (1st) (Currently 17)

Big Bucks
AG
As I was a little too young in 1979 and 1980 during the Oiler losses and Phillies loss to be too upset, the 1986 Astros were the first time sports broke my heart. You never get over the first one. Still love that team.
Project Gemini
AG
No matter what any of the Twitter and Reddit fans say, they hate us far more for dominating the American League for nearly a decade and having two World Series trophies than the trash cans. Its far easier to point at us and say "cheaters" than to accept that they got their ass beat consistently for a long period of time.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

Baseball writers are dorks with self inflated egos. They gaslight everyone.

Football is fine with cheating. Deflate gate, spate, paying amateur athletes, recruiting players on the roster, pulling scholarships, etc.
This is my opinion as well. Baseball writers made it a much bigger deal than it was. Deflate gate has done absolutely nothing to Brady, Belichick, or the Patriot's dynasty legacies.

You guys can say it's because the Astros have been beating that Yankee, Dodger, and Red Sox ass, but I believe it's mainly because the old baseball writer guard who feel they have to protect the sanctity of the game. Ken Griffey Jr didn't even get elected into the HOF unanimously his first time on the ballot for goodness sake.

That and Lunhow leaving Fiers off the post season roster. Amazing if Fiers is on the postseason roster probably none of that comes out.
linkdude
AG
if you take this back to 2017, there's only one team remaining...who could it be...
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16
AG

Wild for a backup
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Am I supposed to thank Dusty now?
Bulldog73
AG
I'm legitimately thinking dusty might be autistic & not understand the sarcasm of "Gee, thanks Dusty."
First Page Last Page
Page 159 of 322

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.