***Official Houston Astros 2023-24 Offseason Thread*** [Staff Warning - OP]

939,034 Views | 11245 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Lonestar_Ag09
tjack16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

There was a guy on Twitter a couple of years ago who posted that his mom got him an Astros jersey. It was Mike Fiers
Ag12thman
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Post removed:
by user
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Bregxit said:

Marvin said:

Spent a day touring Tallinn, Estonia on the way to northern Finland. What in the hell is this?!

That is a Niet Yakov hat. Given to bad kids named Yakov. Can also be used for Yevgeny and Yury.

Guaranteed that hat and Dodger variety in various colors are like a carhartt beanie. It's all fashion most probably don't even know it's a sports team, especially outside of the US
tjack16
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

I feel like all those people he gave jerseys to are not the type of people to wear jerseys
MaxPower
Farmer1906 said:

We need to trade for Miller before he blows up next season.

Why would the Mariners want to do that?
Terminus Est
They don't have twitter
Marvin
AG
Ring pic from northern Finland. Merry Christmas from Mrs. Marvin and me!

God bless you and your families.

Farmer1906
AG
They're desperate for hitting & don't have money to spend.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Wabs
AG
Back from my 2 week ban! Merry Christmas everybody!
Twisted Helix
https://cdn.acidcow.com/pics/20221231/1672482737_q8q8z6tntj.jpg
Merry Christmas Astros Buddies!
Enjoy and indulge your families today.
Mr.Bond
AG
Twisted Helix said:

NSFW!
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

EastCoastAgNc
AG
Big Bucks
AG
Merry Christmas everyone!
iBrad
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Twisted Helix said:

NSFW!

Which one gets to put the star on top?
Mr.Bond
AG
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cz7UGO3OYWA/?igsh=MTY3MWV2Z3VqamxubQ==

This is amazing
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

spadilly
S
Apparently I'm easy to buy for. Merry Christmas!

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
spadilly said:

love that second one. Where might that be found?
1836er
AG
New wall decor... I can probably find some space nearish the World Series Champions x2 pennants.
bearkatag15
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

spadilly said:

love that second one. Where might that be found?

https://www.mlbshop.com/houston-astros/mens-houston-astros-nike-navy-city-connect-short-sleeve-pullover-hoodie/t-14335330+p-8275085995223+z-9-2010748889
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
jkag89
Odd seeing a photo of Mrs Marvin not in Astros gear.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Missed my countdown a bit this week , but here are a couple of catch-me-ups.

95 days to opening day.
In the summer of 1995, I surprised my best friend at A&M with tickets to er on his birthday. the Padres in a double header on his birthday. We were both taking summer calsses at A&M.
It was post-mega trade, so the Padres had Caminiti, Finley, Roberto Petagine, Andujar Cedeno and Brian Williams, and the Astros had received Derek Bell, Phil Plantier, Orlando Miller, Craig Shipley, andDoug Brocail.

Doug Drabek was on the bump for the Astros and gave up a run in the top of the first thanks to a Derek Bell error, but Bell got an RBi single with two outs in the bottom of the inning to tie it.

Neither team scored again for 15 more innings.
That's right! In the top of the 16th, the Padres finally got ahead 2-1 on an RBI double by Tony Gwynn to score Cedeno, but Bell threw out FInley at home.

Trevor Hoffman had pitched the bottom of the 15th and gotten three foul pops, so they brought him back out for the 16th. But Bagwell doubled off him to lead off the inning, and Tony Eusebeio doubled him in to tie the game at 2.

Brocail pitched the top of the 17th and retired the side in order. He then bunted for a hit to lead off the bottom of the 17th, moved to second on a sac bunt by James Mouton and scored the game-winning run on a single by Biggio. How many pitchers in the last 75 years have gotten the win and scored the walkoff run in the same game? Can't be very many.

40 minutes later, Game 2 started and the Astros cruised to a 41 victory with Mike Hampton defeating none other than Fernando Valenzuela. Biggio lit him up for a 3-run homer in the 5th inning. The incomparable Tony Gwynn was 5-for-11 in the double header, raising his average to .361.

26 innings of baseball for $8 apiece. not a bad Saturday.

The Porkchop Express
AG
94 days until opening day

No two ways about it, the strike and a ill-timed pitch ruined what might have been an amazing season for the Astros in 1994.
The team was 17 games over .500 with 47 to play and was game behind the Reds for first plvace in t. Central Division. Nobody else was even close. The offense was averaging 5.23 runs per game and was first in RBI, second in steals, second in batting average, second in slugging, and second in OBP in the National League.

Nobody was better than Jeff Bagwell, who played in 110 games that year. But the strike was just a blip on the radar because a few days earlier, he had been hit by a pitch and broken his hand, his season over. Possibly the greatest non-Barry bond season in the last 50 years in the NL.
When the strike happened, here's what Baggy's stats looked like in the NL:

Runs: 1st, 110
Hits: 2nd, 147
Doubles: 6th, 32
Home runs: 2nd, 39
RBI: 1st, 116
Stolen bases: 23rd, 15
Walks: 5th, 65
Average: 2nd, .368
OBP: 2nd, .451
Slugging: 1st, .750
OPS: 1st, 1.201

He was first in RBI by TWENTY at the time. He trailed Gwynn in average (.394-.368) and Matt Williams in homers (43-39).
If the season had gone on and he didn't break his hand, here's how his numbers played out on projections:
Runs: 153
Hits: 216
Home Runs: 57
Doubles: 47
RBI: 171
Sonofa***** was on pace for ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY ONE RBI. That would have been the 7th most in MLB HISTORY. Babe Ruth's all-time high was 168. The last time someone broke 170 RBI was Jimmie Foxx in 1938.
He was on pace for 153 runs scored. Only one guy has reached 150 runs scored in a season since 1950, and that man is also Jeff Bagwell, who scored 152 in 2000.
The strike really cheated a lot of guys. Matt Williams was on pace for 60.57 home runs. Tony Gwynn was 6 points short of .4000 when play was called off, and Biggio was on pace for 61 doubles. That would have been the 6th-most in history. The last time someone got more than 60 in a season was in 1936.

Blackbeard94
AG
Whoop! 94 days
Harry Dunne
Too soon, but still funny…

Farmer1906
AG
The Porkchop Express
AG
93 days until opening day.

The 1993 Astros were an exciting squad. The first full-season team for new owner Drayton McLane and the first Astros team or Drayton McLane and the first Astros team to be a contender since the '86 playoff.

Playing with all that sweet Waco grocery money, the team went out and was a player in free agency fro the first time in basically forever, landing two guys with a Texas connection - Greg Swindell and Doug Drabek.*

Those two guys ironically probably cost the Astros a playoff spot. They were a combined 21-31 while the unheralded trio of Pete Harnisch (16-9), Mark Portugal (18-4), and Darryl Kile (15-8) combined to go 49-21. Harnisch had a 2.98 ERA and 4 shutouts, and Portugal had a 2.77 ERA.

The lineup featured only one guy over 30, old man Ken Caminiti who was 30. Bagwell hit .320 with 20 HR and 88 RBI at age 25. Biggio hit .287 with 21 homers and 98 runs scored at age 27. Andujar Cedeno came out of nowhere to hit .283 and Luis Gonzalez hit an even .300 with 15 homers and 20 steals.

The team traded away the cancerous Kenny Lofton for left-handed catcher Eddie Taunbensee, and decided to keep Karl "Tuffy " Rhodes over Bobby Abreu in the expansion draft. Try not to think about those moves too much and what might have been.

After losing 3 straight games to start the season, they won 14 of their next 19 to lead the division on.May 10th, d of April. They were in first until May 10th, then swooned in May and June to hit 38-37.
The team put together winning records in the last 3 months of the year, going 47-40 to get to 85 wins, just two years removed from a 65-97 season.

The horrific stat of the season was that the Astros were 2-11 against Colorado in the Rockies' first season.
That was countered by the fact that they went 11-1 vs. the Mets, including Kile's no-hitter on September 8,
He allowed 1 unearned run and walked 1 while striking out 9., needing just 83 pitches against one incredibly ****ty Mets' team.

Full NY Mets broadcast of that game here.

* Fun fact - Drabek is from Victoria. A girl I went to A&M with grew up in Victoria and told me when Drabek won the Cy Young with the Pirates in 1990, they had the day off of school and there was a parade through Victoria in his hon
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Mathguy64
AG
Before Christmas, thinking you were going to sign Shohei Ohtani.

After Christmas, waking up to find you signed Kevin Kiermeier.
JDUB08AG
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

95 days to opening day.
In the summer of 1995, I surprised my best friend at A&M with tickets to er on his birthday. the Padres in a double header on his birthday. We were both taking summer calsses at A&M.
It was post-mega trade, so the Padres had Caminiti, Finley, Roberto Petagine, Andujar Cedeno and Brian Williams, and the Astros had received Derek Bell, Phil Plantier, Orlando Miller, Craig Shipley, andDoug Brocail.

Doug Drabek was on the bump for the Astros and gave up a run in the top of the first thanks to a Derek Bell error, but Bell got an RBi single with two outs in the bottom of the inning to tie it.

That's right! In the top of the 16th, the Padres finally got ahead 2-1 on an RBI double by Tony Gwynn to score Cedeno, but Bell threw out FInley at home.

Trevor Hoffman had pitched the bottom of the 15th and gotten three foul pops, so they brought him back out for the 16th. But Bagwell doubled off him to lead off the inning, and Tony Eusebeio doubled him in to tie the game at 2.

Brocail pitched the top of the 17th and retired the side in order. He then bunted for a hit to lead off the bottom of the 17th, moved to second on a sac bunt by James Mouton and scored the game-winning run on a single by Biggio. How many pitchers in the last 75 years have gotten the win and scored the walkoff run in the same game? Can't be very many.

40 minutes later, Game 2 started and the Astros cruised to a 41 victory with Mike Hampton defeating none other than Fernando Valenzuela. Biggio lit him up for a 3-run homer in the 5th inning. The incomparable Tony Gwynn was 5-for-11 in the double header, raising his average to .361.

My dad and I were both at these games. I was 10 and loved that we spent basically the entire day in the dome. I oddly remember there being a cow milking competition between games that I'm pretty sure was won by Shane Reynolds lol.
The Porkchop Express
AG
JDUB08AG said:

My dad and I were both at these games. I was 10 and loved that we spent basically the entire day in the dome. I oddly remember there being a cow milking competition between games that I'm pretty sure was won by Shane Reynolds lol.
BQRyno
AG

JDUB08AG said:

OKCAg2002
AG
JDUB08AG said:

95 days to opening day.

I was there, too! I remember there being a hog calling competition, too. One of the spare relievers won the thing.
First Page Last Page
Page 154 of 322

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.