Garcia vs Altuve

22,709 Views | 221 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by agent-maroon
Infection_Ag11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
htxag09 said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

htxag09 said:

Philip J Fry said:

MaxPower said:

I'm an Astros fan but why does anyone care if guys get pumped about a HR?

Here's a hint. No one did. He wasn't thrown at on purpose. Baker didn't have some grand scheme to hit him just so the benches could clear and ice their closer. This is 100% on Garcia. If he walks to first base like a non roided up cry baby, none of this happens.

This is really what it boils down to.

Had Garcia been able to control his emotions and simply take a free base in the 8th inning of the alcs the rangers would really have something to talk about with that hr. But he didn't. He flipped **** and turned a game they were in control of into chaos.

I mean this is true, but every MLB player ever gets upset in that scenario so it's an irrelevant point. It's not like if the roles were reversed an Astro just takes their base. That's a benches clearing ordeal regardless.

Lol no one will ever no so can't really say but unlikely.

Tuve almost took one to the dome a couple of days ago. He didn't say a word.

Dubon was brushed off the plate immediately after tuves hr, again, no word.

Game 4 blowout. Pena is beaned immediately after a Chas HR….oddly, again, no word.

Based on the reaction last night and in the previous blow up, not hard to imagine everyone of those would have caused drama if the roles were reversed

I don't even think Houston intended to hit him (they were only down 2 in the 8th in a 2-2 ALCS, if that was intentional then it was beyond idiotic). I think he meant to go high and tight and it got away. But the unique scenario/stakes coupled with their prior history and just the fact that getting hit with a 95 MPH pitch ****ing hurts and I have a hard time seeing any player not reacting the same way.

But you are absolutely correct in that the rational thing to do is say thank you for the free base runner and move along. If he had the rangers likely win. The delay ended up helping their opponent and it's fair to blame that on Garcia regardless of whether anyone else would have done the same.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Farmer1906
AG
The Astros are professionals. The Rangers are inexperienced crybabies. That's why the celebrated a wild card birth like the World Series with a game to play to determine the division. That's why they react like snowflakes when getting hit. Garcia was being selfish and not thinking about winning or the rest of his team.
Infection_Ag11
AG
Farmer1906 said:

The Astros are professionals. The Rangers are inexperienced crybabies. That's why the celebrated a wild card birth like the World Series with a game to play to determine the division. That's why they react like snowflakes when getting hit. Garcia was being selfish and not thinking about winning or the rest of his team.

Except for all the past footage of the Astros celebrating playoff berths and clearing the benches for HBP?

This is such a silly exercise.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Farmer1906
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Except for all the past footage of the Astros celebrating playoff berths and clearing the benches for HBP?

There is nothing wrong with celebrating or being pissed off about getting thrown at. The fact you don't understand what I'm saying shows you're in the same boat as your team.
Infection_Ag11
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

Farmer1906 said:

There is nothing wrong with celebrating or being pissed off about getting thrown at. The fact you don't understand what I'm saying shows you're in the same boat as your team.

What you're saying is meaningless. "The Astros are more professional because they didn't do this thing the Rangers did, except for all the times they did that thing".

That's what you sound like. It's a silly exercise in fan bias.
Farmer1906
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

Farmer1906 said:

What you're saying is meaningless. "The Astros are more professional because they didn't do this thing the Rangers did, except for all the times they did that thing".

Show me 1 time the Astros celebrated like that when they made the playoffs and needed a win the very next day to win the division.

Show me a time the Astros started a fight the iced their own closer in a huge game.

You can't because they're not stupid.
Infection_Ag11
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Show me 1 time the Astros celebrated like that when they made the playoffs and needed a win the very next day to win the division.

Show me a time the Astros started a fight the iced their own closer in a huge game.

You can't because they're not stupid.

I can't because they've never been presented with the opportunity in those hyper specific scenarios.

But you knew that
Farmer1906
AG
Dubon could have yesterday in the 9th after the ball went up and in.

And the Astros had the same opportunity in the regular season this year.
jkag89
Quote:

I can't because they've never been presented with the opportunity in those hyper specific scenarios.
Both teams punched their tickets to the postseason on the same day this season but still needed at least a W to ensure a division title. That is the exact same scenario is it not?
htxag09
AG
jkag89 said:

Quote:

Both teams punched their tickets to the postseason on the same day this season but still needed at least a W to ensure a division title. That is the exact same scenario is it not?

Cmon. We all know it's different
fullback44
AG
I still can't believe the Astros won that game because some hot headed Rangers player iced his own top closer. I mean who does that? That game was in the bag for the Rangers until the Adolis's drama and he ended up icing his own pitcher and he pissed off the entire Astros team…. Just take the win and it's 3-2 Rangers.. instead the cold pitcher put 2 guys on and Altuve does what he does …. Thanks Adolis

I honestLy hope Adolis or Semien pull some of their foolish drama on Sunday, the Astros will need all the help we can get with Evaldi against Framber…. That's almost a guaranteed Ranger win unless a few Rangers players want to fire up our bats once again.
Aggies2009
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Lmao the Astros and their fans had a complete meltdown at Joe Kelly making faces at one player after striking him out. The "snowflake" angle is…. a pretty bold card for you to play.
Aggies2009
AG
Bring more than hearsay and sure.
Farmer1906
AG
Aggies2009 said:

Bring more than hearsay and sure.

There goes the goalposts. Moving again.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Dubon could have yesterday in the 9th after the ball went up and in.

And the Astros had the same opportunity in the regular season this year.
I was scrolling through this entire thread waiting to see if anyone remembered Leclerc deliberately attempting to decapitate Dubon, the very next pitch after Altuve's hr. Did Dubon assault the catcher or shove an umpire? Did any Astros leave the dugout? No, Dubon just gracefully leaned away because he doesn't have a juice-inflated watermelon head tilting his body over in whichever direction he leans first - and Garcia definitely leaned after the pitch was thrown.

I'm glad no Ranger fans were watching at that particular moment, and thus were spared the fear of potential, possible, maybe injury to Dubon.
dermdoc
AG
Just re watched and you are correct.
AgRyan04
Infection_Ag11 said:

htxag09 said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

htxag09 said:

Philip J Fry said:

MaxPower said:

Here's a hint. No one did. He wasn't thrown at on purpose. Baker didn't have some grand scheme to hit him just so the benches could clear and ice their closer. This is 100% on Garcia. If he walks to first base like a non roided up cry baby, none of this happens.

Had Garcia been able to control his emotions and simply take a free base in the 8th inning of the alcs the rangers would really have something to talk about with that hr. But he didn't. He flipped **** and turned a game they were in control of into chaos.

I mean this is true, but every MLB player ever gets upset in that scenario so it's an irrelevant point. It's not like if the roles were reversed an Astro just takes their base. That's a benches clearing ordeal regardless.

Game 4 blowout. Pena is beaned immediately after a Chas HR….oddly, again, no word.

Based on the reaction last night and in the previous blow up, not hard to imagine everyone of those would have caused drama if the roles were reversed

I don't even think Houston intended to hit him (they were only down 2 in the 8th in a 2-2 ALCS, if that was intentional then it was beyond idiotic). I think he meant to go high and tight and it got away. But the unique scenario/stakes coupled with their prior history and just the fact that getting hit with a 95 MPH pitch ****ing hurts and I have a hard time seeing any player not reacting the same way.

But you are absolutely correct in that the rational thing to do is say thank you for the free base runner and move along. If he had the rangers likely win. The delay ended up helping their opponent and it's fair to blame that on Garcia regardless of whether anyone else would have done the same.

This was how the game was played for a century before the league allowed steroids, and then lost their fan base, and then had to protect players acting/celebrating like clowns in order to get people excited about the sport again.

There are hundreds, even thousands, of times a player got hit for less than showboating and didn't react like that.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Infection_Ag11
AG
AgRyan04 said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

htxag09 said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

htxag09 said:

Philip J Fry said:

MaxPower said:

This was how the game was played for a century before the league allowed steroids, and then lost their fan base, and then had to protect players acting/celebrating like clowns in order to get people excited about the sport again.

There are hundreds, even thousands, of times a player got hit for less than showboating and didn't react like that.

Bench clearing brawls were a regular occurrence until the 1970s. The batter going after the pitcher for a perceived intentional hit was the expected norm. Ty Cobb literally tried to murder multiple pitchers on the mound. This is complete revisionist history.
AgRyan04
I didn't say it never happened.

You said you had a hard time seeing any player not reacting the same way.

I said there were a zillion examples of people NOT reacting like that.
Dave Grohl
AG
agent-maroon said:

Quote:

Oh, there is always an exception for the Astros
Do they understand how a mirror works or do they just choose not to use them?
Jealous?
Please control the insane population - have your Democrat spayed or neutered.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Sidenote that wasn't worthy of its own thread: Does anyone else enjoy it as much as I do when the bullpens dutifully trot in right at the end of a bench-clearing brawl?

Reminds me of college when some meathead jackass would decide to go start a fight. You just stand there calmly thinking, "is he really? Is the other guy gonna take the bait? Let's see how this goes...Ahhhh ****, guess I have to jog over and break it up after he takes a lick."

Except I'm not sure if any bullpens have ever gotten to the infield in time to join in.
AgRyan04
My son and I had a good laugh at that last night!
1208HawkTree
AG
To me there are two reasons Garcia's reaction was excessive. One, it wasn't a walkoff. Two, it wasn't exactly a no-doubter. He was showboating more than celebrating in my opinion. Would've been awesome for him to act like that and the ball to go off the top of the wall or even better, be caught.

Now, it was a huge HR that likely would've been the difference. Get excited all you want. Yell and scream, pound your chest all you want, but run to first base M-epher. Also, HE was the one who escalated the entire situation in the 8th. Get mad and scream at Maldy all you want. Wearing 99 on the arm isn't fun, but he kept trying to run around and out of players' and coaches' grasp. How that didn't get him a game or two also I have no idea.

Side note, did anyone also notice Maldy cock his arm back ready to go when Garcia ran around everyone behind home plate and was headed for him again?
annie88
AG
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FDEMS TRUMP 2024.
Fight Fight Fight.
bluefire579
AG
DustysLineup said:

Sidenote that wasn't worthy of its own thread: Does anyone else enjoy it as much as I do when the bullpens dutifully trot in right at the end of a bench-clearing brawl?

Reminds me of college when some meathead jackass would decide to go start a fight. You just stand there calmly thinking, "is he really? Is the other guy gonna take the bait? Let's see how this goes...Ahhhh ****, guess I have to jog over and break it up after he takes a lick."

Except I'm not sure if any bullpens have ever gotten to the infield in time to join in.
Bullpens running in for a brawl is one of my top 5 baseball traditions, especially since the way so many stadiums are set up these days, they're basically running side by side to get to two sides of the same fight
dustin999
AG
One pitcher suspended in all of 2023 for intentionally hitting a batter. Well make that 2 now because MLB sucks. It's Astros vs the world.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/fines-suspensions/2023/pitching/#

Abreu shouldn't have even been ejected without a warning issued first, much less a 2 game suspension.

I guess the Astros can't pitch up and in to Garcia any more this series. That guy might hit 5 home runs with the Astros pitchers hands tied. Such a ****ing joke.
1208HawkTree
AG
dustin999 said:

I guess the Astros can't pitch up and in to Garcia any more this series. That guy might hit 5 home runs with the Astros pitchers hands tied. Such a ****ing joke.

Bingo.
fullback44
AG
1208HawkTree said:

dustin999 said:

Bingo.
. Yep but any team playing the Astros can do it …. They almost hit Altuve Yordon and Dubon and not even a squeak ..we had 11 bad calls against us the last game..

I'll give it to the Rangers at least you have MLB and the umps in your corner
halfastros81
AG
I didn't really take issue with Garcia hot dogging after his homer, but it would have been more effective in a walk off. I have no clue if Abreu hit him on purpose or not but it didn't make a lot of sense in terms of trying to win the game. Garcia's reaction was over the top. Ejection of Abreu, Garcia and maybe even Dusty was probably the right choice. The 2 game suspension of Abreu and nothing for Garcia isn't right unless Abreu admitted he threw at him which I am pretty sure didn't happen since they are appealing the suspension.Allowing Dusty to stay in the dugout probably wasn't right either.
Farmer1906
AG
Facts

Sid Farkas
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Facts

Free Abreu!
TarponChaser
bigfooticus said:

Aggies2009 said:

agent-maroon said:

The "but everyone was doing it" defense is annoying when children use it. It's just pathetic when an adult attempts it. Yeah, they didn't want the league tainted with any more scandal than they already had because it's a multi-billion dollar industry and they didn't want to lose the gravy train. But that doesn't excuse it nor is it worthy of respect.

Yep. An Aggie does not lie, cheat, or steal, nor tolerate those who do….. unless they can convince themselves others do it too.

Sad to think some of these people have children and will pass those morals (or lack thereof) along.

So you aren't a fan of any baseball teams then, why are you here?!

Or fan of any sports team, college and professional. Or ever vote for any politician ever.
wiggythump
AG
Dermdoc Baseball threads
cc10106
Folks thinking that was intentional are willfully ignorant and/or have their heads in the sand.
Aggie92
AG
Those were some of the most delicious tears in a long time. I'll be hoping for more of those this evening!
Gig'Em '92

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.