Has a team ever won a division with a losing home record

1,187 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by NE PA Ag
YNWA.2013
How long do you want to ignore this user?
With the Astros clinching the AL West this weekend and getting to watch the Wildcard series from the couch, I was wondering if a team has ever won the division with a losing home record like the Astros just did? I spent a total of 4 mins researching and couldn't come up with anything. I would bet there's a team in like 1903 but I guess I'm more interested in the modern era.

P.S. Can the Astros give up home advantage and just play all their games on the road? (This is very obviously a joke)
-FTA c/o 2013
CyAg
AG
Good question, I spent five minutes with similar results.

As a Stros fan I'm hoping for regression toward the mean.
BMX Bandit
2001 Braves

Beat Astros in playoffs.
YNWA.2013
Ooo good find. The 2001 Braves were 40-41 at home
-FTA c/o 2013
South Platte
Texas was trying to do it with an overall losing record in 1994.
CyAg
AG
5 more search minutes yielded this result (according to the net anyway), SD won the NLW in 2005 with an overall record of 82-83.
jkag89
South Platte said:

Texas was trying to do it with an overall losing record in 1994.
10 games under .500.when the season ended due to the strike but still a game up on the A's to lead the division.

Quote:

SD won the NLW in 2005 with an overall record of 82-83.
The won the NL West with an 82-80 record then preceded to get swept by Cardinals in the Division Series.

Marvin
AG
BMX Bandit said:

2001 Braves

Beat Astros in playoffs.

Too soon….
NE PA Ag
YNWA.2013 said:

With the Astros clinching the AL West this weekend and getting to watch the Wildcard series from the couch, I was wondering if a team has ever won the division with a losing home record like the Astros just did? I spent a total of 4 mins researching and couldn't come up with anything. I would bet there's a team in like 1903 but I guess I'm more interested in the modern era.

P.S. Can the Astros give up home advantage and just play all their games on the road? (This is very obviously a joke)

You can limit your research to 1969 and later as that was the first year with divisions. I think it's highly unlikely any team won a pre-playoff era pennant with a losing home record.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.